Thread: Should Canada take in US deportees?

Default Should Canada take in US deportees?

With Donald Trump's election win in the USA, he's promised to see that their immigration service deports millions of illegal immigrants. (Apparently there are tens of millions of people in question.)

Should Canada offer to take in some of those millions?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    With Donald Trump's election win in the USA, he's promised to see that their immigration service deports millions of illegal immigrants. (Apparently there are tens of millions of people in question.)

Sure. The Canadians among them, if that's the type that will be deported.

Seriously -- I'm pretty sure there'll be no round-ups at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Sure. The Canadians among them, if that's the type that will be deported.

Seriously -- I'm pretty sure there'll be no round-ups at all.
    So, another amnesty? 11 to 12 million? I don't think so. I think he'll push for some upholding of their laws first. Though something seen as a "round up", I doubt it.

I read where about half are from Mexico and the other half from other countries around the world.
    Last edited by KC; 10-11-2016 at 06:27 AM.

Fox News
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Do we have jobs for celebs?

Also, do we want to take back Canadians that moved away?

C2E Continued Contributor

A bit hypocritical for the celebs to want to move to Canada, they are wealthy enough to be insulated against most of what ails America.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I think our current immigration standards, quotas, and procedures are adequate. Wouldn't fuss about the processing times decreasing and the efficiency increasing though, naturally.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    A bit hypocritical for the celebs to want to move to Canada, they are wealthy enough to be insulated against most of what ails America.
    Yeah, but it gets their mugs in front of a camera.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I bet there were a number of Canadians wanting to move to the U S when Captain Selfie was elected.
    Two way street really.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ ha ha, go ahead. I'm not even a Liberal (perenially swing party/anti-Calgary cabal and no deeper) but that's so obviously false chest inflation. Go right ahead. Enjoy the warm Arizona sunshine!

^Cripes man I am not even referring to you. Start taking your meds.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ Again, you're not reading for some reason. Have you ever read your sig?

^Little man you have had a busy day.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Reporting live from Edmonton International Airport: 1:10 pm.

Hundreds of U S celebrities wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals have arrived at Gate 12 of EIA. The temperature outside is -35 with a wind chill of 46.

Edmonton International Airport: 1:40 pm.

Hundreds of U.S. celebrities wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals have departed from Gate 12 of EIA. The plane is said to be heading to warmer climates, possibly Palm Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^ you're funny. Why do you think I need your permission to respond to your brilliance? You know people can read this, right?

Just posting this so no one confuses the flood of Mexican tourists with US refugees.

Canadian officials preparing for potential flood of Mexican migrants after Trump wins presidency
    Tourist visa will no longer be required for Mexican visitors as of Dec. 1
    By Kathleen Harris, CBC News Posted: Nov 10, 2016 8:53 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 10, 2016 8:53 PM ET
    Excerpt:

Sources confirm high level meetings took place this week with officials at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and in other departments.

The news comes as Canada prepares to loosen rules for Mexicans to enter the country by lifting a visa requirement on Dec. 1. That restriction has been in place since 2009.

Talks on a plan to cope with a possible spike in asylum-seekers have been ongoing for some time, but were accelerated this week after Trump's surprise win.

Asylum claims way down

The number of Mexican claims referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board was climbing dramatically until it peaked at 9,511 in 2009. After the visa requirement was imposed, it dropped to 1,349, then continued to shrink to only 120 in 2015. Between January and June this year, there were only 60 cases, according to the most recent figures available.

Government officials had suggested the visa requirement could be reinstated if the number of asylum claims from Mexico reaches 3,500 in any given year. But a news release announcing the policy did not mention any conditions attached to the change.

Vancouver-based immigration lawyer Richard Kurland called that cap a "close the barn door after the horse has bolted" policy. He said the government should carefully track weekly intake and "flip the switch" if it exceeds, for example, 100 cases.

"It is foolish to know claims will exceed 3,500 in a year, and do nothing during the year," he said. "We have the technology to be more nimble."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...rump-1.3845957
    Last edited by KC; 11-11-2016 at 07:31 AM.

^By visa's do they mean working visa's or visitors visa's.? Do they think Mexicans will be applying for these visa's the asking asylum once in Canada?.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Reporting live from Edmonton International Airport: 1:10 pm.

Hundreds of U S celebrities wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals have arrived at Gate 12 of EIA. The temperature outside is -35 with a wind chill of 46.

Edmonton International Airport: 1:40 pm.

Hundreds of U.S. celebrities wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals have departed from Gate 12 of EIA. The plane is said to be heading to warmer climates, possibly Palm Springs.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Fox News
    What makes these "celebrities" think we even want them here in Canada?

I mean, if they cannot accept the outcome of their own democratic election process to the point where they leave the country, why would we want them to come here and spread that sort of dissident among us.
    Last edited by GranaryMan; 11-11-2016 at 12:26 PM.

They got back on the plane plane when they found out that there was no Whole Foods, kale was hard to find, and they couldn't get organic soy for their lattes topped with truffle oil foam.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Clinton took the defeat more graciously than her supporters, at least on camera she did. I'm not sure if celebrity supporters help or hinder a candidate. I doubt it would influence me and a lot of other people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ you're funny. Why do you think I need your permission to respond to your brilliance? You know people can read this, right?
    Yeah, and it's unfortunate for you that they are. You sound like you have been awake a straight 48 hours and are about to crash.

^