Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123456 12 ... LastLast

Thread: President Donald Trump What Now

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^people are tired of academic elites who know nothing about the real world outside their ivory towers, living off their tax dollars and telling them how to live. If you break laws, if you sneak into countries, you don't deserve to live happily ever after in that country. This is great news for us in Alberta, with Keystone XL, and hopefully Trans Mountain, there will be excess pipeline capacity - old sands projects can become viable again as soon as Notleys crew is thrown out of office.
    People are getting tired of echo-chamber inbred corrupt ignoramuses co-opting the "conservative" label and dismissing science, believe it or not.

That's how your team got it handed to you in the last Canadian election. That's even how Notley was able to cobble together an alliance in Alberta to split the difference. Real conservatives tried you on, but found out the hard way that you were a one trick pony.

First incumbent Prime Minister with a majority to go down to defeat to another majority since RB Bennett: Stephen Harper.

If that doesn't get through your thick skull, well, I guess you'll just keep beating that same tired old drum, old man.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    It will be interesting to see if he makes good on his promise to have the Attorney General look into Clinton's misuse of her email server in more detail. Either way Wikileaks will continue to make her life difficult I have no doubt.
    Yes, perhaps another investigation will prove to be a useful distraction while Trump figures out what to do. If, like the FBI, they don't find anything more I imagine it will finally be the end of it - Clinton is no longer a political threat to anyone. However, the Republicans better be very careful with their e-mail - they are now the government and Wikileaks likes to bring down those in power. They could turn on them now at any moment.

I'd rather C2E than work!

At first I was Gun ho for Trump, then my support waned once the election got closer, worried over NAFTA. Then after doing a bit of research, if Trump Kills NAFTA it would mean economic ruin for the US and Canada. There are hundreds of Billions of dollars even tied up between just America and Mexico every year alone, never mind Canada. America hasn't backed out of a trade deal since the 1800's, and even if in 6 months Trump backs out of NAFTA, that in itself will be tied up in courts for a very long time. So now, I'm ok with a Trump win. As for Keystone XL? ITs not like were going to see this thing break ground tomorrow or even this year. When it gets underway I have no idea.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Continued Contributor

^people are tired of academic elites who know nothing about the real world outside their ivory towers, living off their tax dollars and telling them how to live. If you break laws, if you sneak into countries, you don't deserve to live happily ever after in that country. ]
    And people with real hearts and compassion are tired of bean counters and finance types like yourself who view the the world and people purely as items in a balance sheet. If being paid a 6 figure salary makes you happier than someone who earns half what you do but have a happy domestic life and care about the world around them rather than something to be exploited for their benefit then you can continue to live your version of paradise.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the relationship with the House of Saud develops over the next 4 years. In one respect they must like Trump's criticism of Obama's deal with Iran, I wonder if it's too late though to freeze Iranian assets yet again. If he puts Iran back in the penalty box one would have to assume that they will attempt to reinstitute their nuke program setting the stage for a future confrontation much to the delight of the Sunnis and Israel. Will Trump rattle the nuclear first strike saber against Iran?
    I'd love for Trump to tell the Saudis and Turks to eat a big fat bowl of dicks. He might be the man for that.
    Yes,I would as well..the saudis have had great time for far too long.!
    Cemented in place by the Bushes, whom all you conservatives used to fall over yourselves to support.
    So what's your point,all conservatives are the same? Wrong!
    That's the beauty of it all. Trump owes no one but his voters and even George Bush said that he did not vote for him. Whether he succeeds in making America Great Again (whatever that means) one thing is certain, he has broken all the rules about how to run for the highest office in the US and has still come out on top. American politics will never be the same again.
    If he succeeds he owes no one in the Republican party anything, whoever leaked all the democrats e-mails - he owes a lot too. If he doesn't already know who they are, I am sure they will be in touch soon and let him know.

If he doesn't succeed, the powers in the Republican party will flee from him like they did before. He will have few friends to stand by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the relationship with the House of Saud develops over the next 4 years. In one respect they must like Trump's criticism of Obama's deal with Iran, I wonder if it's too late though to freeze Iranian assets yet again. If he puts Iran back in the penalty box one would have to assume that they will attempt to reinstitute their nuke program setting the stage for a future confrontation much to the delight of the Sunnis and Israel. Will Trump rattle the nuclear first strike saber against Iran?
    I'd love for Trump to tell the Saudis and Turks to eat a big fat bowl of dicks. He might be the man for that.
    Cemented in place by the Bushes, whom all you conservatives used to fall over yourselves to support.
    ........and also encouraged by the Clinton's. I'm sure Hillary's stance on the XL Pipeline had a lot to do with her and Bill being in bed with the Saudi's.
    She was all for the pipeline then she was against it. All of a sudden it was global warming she was worried about. No it wasn't, it was the Saudi's who paid her and Bill off. Contributions (in the way of a birthday gift) to their 'Foundation' clinched to deal. Now, will the Saudi's try the same stunt with Trump.
    Her position was probably for similar reasons to Obama's. She wanted the environmentalists to continue to vote for the democrats.

bump

Buoldthemhigh, did you enjoy this?

Originally Posted by KC View Post
    From below: "Note: this piece can be reproduced, translated, and published by anyone under the condition that it is in its entirety and mentions that it is extracted from Skin in the Game." so, here it is and I'd better 'mention' that "it's extracted from Skin in the Game": (the *** represent the word: I diot

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    https:[email protected]?source=post_header_lockup

The Intellectual Yet******

What we have been seeing worldwide, from India to the UK to the US, is the rebellion against the inner circle of no-skin-in-the-game policymaking “clerks” and journalists-insiders, that class of paternalistic semi-intellectual experts with some Ivy league, Oxford-Cambridge, or similar label-driven education who are telling the rest of us 1) what to do, 2) what to eat, 3) how to speak, 4) how to think… and 5) who to vote for.
    But the problem is the one-eyed following the blind: these self-described members of the “intelligentsia” can’t find a coconut in Coconut Island, meaning they aren’t intelligent enough to define intelligence hence fall into circularities — but their main skill is capacity to pass exams written by people like them. With psychology papers replicating less than 40%, dietary advice reversing after 30 years of fatphobia, macroeconomic analysis working worse than astrology, the appointment of Bernanke who was less than clueless of the risks, and pharmaceutical trials replicating at best only 1/3 of the time, people are perfectly entitled to rely on their own ancestral instinct and listen to their grandmothers (or Montaigne and such filtered classical knowledge) with a better track record than these policymaking goons.
    Indeed one can see that these academico-bureaucrats who feel entitled to run our lives aren’t even rigorous, whether in medical statistics or policymaking. They cant tell science from scientism — in fact in their eyes scientism looks more scientific than real science. (For instance it is trivial to show the following: much of what the Cass-Sunstein-Richard Thaler types — those who want to “nudge” us into some behavior — much of what they would classify as “rational” or “irrational” (or some such categories indicating deviation from a desired or prescribed protocol) comes from their misunderstanding of probability theory and cosmetic use of first-order models.) They are also prone to mistake the ensemble for the linear aggregation of its components as we saw in the chapter extending the minority rule.

The Intellectual Yet ***** is a production of modernity hence has been accelerating since the mid twentieth century, to reach its local supremum today, along with the broad category of people without skin-in-the-game who have been invading many walks of life. Why? Simply, in most countries, the government’s role is between five and ten times what it was a century ago (expressed in percentage of GDP). The IYI seems ubiquitous in our lives but is still a small minority and is rarely seen outside specialized outlets, think tanks, the media, and universities — most people have proper jobs and there are not many openings for the IYI.
    Beware the semi-erudite who thinks he is an erudite. He fails to naturally detect sophistry.
    The IYI pathologizes others for doing things he doesn’t understand without ever realizing it is his understanding that may be limited. He thinks people should act according to their best interests and he knows their interests, particularly if they are “red necks” or English non-crisp-vowel class who voted for Brexit. When plebeians do something that makes sense to them, but not to him, the IYI uses the term “uneducated”. What we generally call participation in the political process, he calls by two distinct designations: “democracy” when it fits the IYI, and “populism” when the plebeians dare voting in a way that contradicts his preferences. While rich people believe in one tax dollar one vote, more humanistic ones in one man one vote, Monsanto in one lobbyist one vote, the IYI believes in one Ivy League degree one-vote, with some equivalence for foreign elite schools and PhDs as these are needed in the club.

More socially, the IYI subscribes to The New Yorker. He never curses on twitter. He speaks of “equality of races” and “economic equality” but never went out drinking with a minority cab driver (again, no real skin in the game as the concept is foreign to the IYI). Those in the U.K. have been taken for a ride by Tony Blair. The modern IYI has attended more than one TEDx talks in person or watched more than two TED talks on Youtube. Not only will he vote for Hillary Monsanto-Malmaison because she seems electable and some such circular reasoning, but holds that anyone who doesn’t do so is mentally ill.
    The IYI has a copy of the first hardback edition of The Black Swan on his shelves, but mistakes absence of evidence for evidence of absence. He believes that GMOs are “science”, that the “technology” is not different from conventional breeding as a result of his readiness to confuse science with scientism.
    Typically, the IYI get the first order logic right, but not second-order (or higher) effects making him totally incompetent in complex domains. In the comfort of his suburban home with 2-car garage, he advocated the “removal” of Gadhafi because he was “a dictator”, not realizing that removals have consequences (recall that he has no skin in the game and doesn’t pay for results).
    The IYI has been wrong, historically, on Stalinism, Maoism, GMOs, Iraq, Libya, Syria, lobotomies, urban planning, low carbohydrate diets, gym machines, behaviorism, transfats, freudianism, portfolio theory, linear regression, Gaussianism, Salafism, dynamic stochastic equilibrium modeling, housing projects, selfish gene, Bernie Madoff (pre-blowup) and p-values. But he is convinced that his current position is right.
    The IYI is member of a club to get traveling privileges; if social scientist he uses statistics without knowing how they are derived (like Steven Pinker and psycholophasters in general); when in the UK, he goes to literary festivals; he drinks red wine with steak (never white); he used to believe that fat was harmful and has now completely reversed; he takes statins because his doctor told him to do so; he fails to understand ergodicity and when explained to him, he forgets about it soon later; he doesn’t use Yiddish words even when talking business; he studies grammar before speaking a language; he has a cousin who worked with someone who knows the Queen; he has never read Frederic Dard, Libanius Antiochus, Michael Oakeshot, John Gray, Amianus Marcellinus, Ibn Battuta, Saadiah Gaon, or Joseph De Maistre; he has never gotten drunk with Russians; he never drank to the point when one starts breaking glasses (or, preferably, chairs); he doesn’t even know the difference between Hecate and Hecuba (which in Brooklynese is “can’t tell sh**t from chinola”); he doesn’t know that there is no difference between “pseudointellectual” and “intellectual” in the absence of skin in the game; has mentioned quantum mechanics at least twice in the past five years in conversations that had nothing to do with physics.
    He knows at any point in time what his words or actions are doing to his reputation.
    But a much easier marker: he doesn’t even deadlift.

Postscript
    From the reactions to this piece, I discovered that the IYI has difficulty, when reading, in differentiating between the satirical and the literal.
    PostPostcript
    The IYI thinks this criticism of IYIs means “everybody is an *****”, not realizing that their group represents, as we said, a tiny minority — but they don’t like their sense of entitlement to be challenged and although they treat the rest of humans as inferiors, they don’t like it when the waterhose is turned to the opposite direction (what the French call arroseur arrosé). (For instance, Richard Thaler, partner of the dangerous GMO advocate Übernudger Cass Sunstein, interpreted this piece as saying that “there are not many non-idiots not called Taleb”, not realizing that people like him are < 1% or even*.1% of the population.)
    Note: this piece can be reproduced, translated, and published by anyone under the condition that it is in its entirety and mentions that it is extracted from Skin in the Game.

https:[email protected]/the-inte...577#.p2x8erzx5

^people are tired of academic elites who know nothing about the real world outside their ivory towers, living off their tax dollars and telling them how to live. If you break laws, if you sneak into countries, you don't deserve to live happily ever after in that country. This is great news for us in Alberta, with Keystone XL, and hopefully Trans Mountain, there will be excess pipeline capacity - old sands projects can become viable again as soon as Notleys crew is thrown out of office.
    I think people are getting tired of elites who have no idea how the majority of the people they govern live. Tired of them telling them what is good for them and implementing useless ideas. Leaders that have been coddled all their lives, sheltered from living from pay cheque to pay cheque, having access to the best education their parents can buy etc. It showed with Brexit that people were tired of being ruled by a distant indifferent government. Politicians making decisions that would not effect their bottom line but putting a lot of lower/middle class people in stressful positions. Brexit may start the ball rolling for more economic union countries to ditch their leaders, that would be revolutionary. People are tired at being hectored about carbon footprints, green energy and the sky is falling. The earth was once burning boiling cauldron, look at it now. The earth can over time heal itself, it's done that thousands of times over.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    ........and also encouraged by the Clinton's. I'm sure Hillary's stance on the XL Pipeline had a lot to do with her and Bill being in bed with the Saudi's.
    She was all for the pipeline then she was against it. All of a sudden it was global warming she was worried about. No it wasn't, it was the Saudi's who paid her and Bill off. Contributions (in the way of a birthday gift) to their 'Foundation' clinched to deal. Now, will the Saudi's try the same stunt with Trump.
    Her position was probably for similar reasons to Obama's. She wanted the environmentalists to continue to vote for the democrats.
    \
    Of course she did and the Saudi's encouraged that by giving donations to the Clinton Foundation. If the Saudi's could hood wink the democrats to keep the U S A a green and pleasant land devote of carbon emissions they then could flog them more oil. Money talks and the Saudi's have it in bucket loads.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

If he succeeds he owes no one in the Republican party anything, whoever leaked all the democrats e-mails - he owes a lot too. If he doesn't already know who they are, I am sure they will be in touch soon and let him know.
    So what. If he doesn't agree to their demands what are they going to release that is more damaging than what has already been released about him? The American voters showed last night that they could care less about his past, they want change in Washington starting now.

If he doesn't succeed, the powers in the Republican party will flee from him like they did before. He will have few friends to stand by him.
    I really don't think he cares if they flee from him or not. Seriously this is a different perspective than we have seen before. Not saying that it will work, but kudos to him for trying. I am sure that this campaign has taken a lot out him, both physically, emotionally, and financially. He is 70 and didn't need to do this but he felt he could make a difference. Lets wait and see.

So what. If he doesn't agree to their demands what are they going to release that is more damaging than what has already been released about him? The American voters showed last night that they could care less about his past, they want change in Washington starting now.

I really don't think he cares if they flee from him or not. Seriously this is a different perspective than we have seen before. Not saying that it will work, but kudos to him for trying. I am sure that this campaign has taken a lot out him, both physically, emotionally, and financially. He is 70 and didn't need to do this but he felt he could make a difference. Lets wait and see.
    I didn't say they wanted to blackmail him personally. Given everything that is already out there about him, I don't know if that could really be successful or not. They may just want something in appreciation for their help, like say Ukraine.

No one "needs" to run for President - the power is a big ego boost for anyone. I think people in politics are generally in it more for the power than the money, but its usually not hard to them to figure out a way to get both. Incidentally, the tax cuts he proposes will help him out greatly personally.

So what. If he doesn't agree to their demands what are they going to release that is more damaging than what has already been released about him?
    The last N years of his tax returns. Any digital paperwork about his business dealings and agreements, his divorce and bankruptcy filings. Plenty of disruptive stuff, for fun and profit.

I found it curious that Trump has so far been pretty untouched by the storm of hacktivism aimed at high-profile targets. From what I've read around in the community his operation isn't a very hardened target, and there are plenty of other places (e.g., legal/accounting providers, contractors) that could be exploited.

But they haven't been. Yet. Now that hacking the Dems won't be as fun anymore, Donald and the GOP would be more attractive targets.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

\
    Of course she did and the Saudi's encouraged that by giving donations to the Clinton Foundation. If the Saudi's could hood wink the democrats to keep the U S A a green and pleasant land devote of carbon emissions they then could flog them more oil. Money talks and the Saudi's have it in bucket loads.
    Makes sense, except for all the fracking in North Dakota, all the other pipelines in the US and that the Americans were shutting down coal fired plants not oil fields.

More Nassim Taleb

The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority

How Europe will eat Halal — Why you don’t have to smoke in the smoking section — Your food choices on the fall of the Saudi king –How to prevent a friend from working too hard –Omar Sharif ‘s conversion — How to make a market collapse

So, we need to be more than intolerant with some intolerant minorities. It is not permissible to use “American values” or “Western principles” in treating intolerant Salafism (which denies other peoples’ right to have their own religion). The West is currently in the process of committing..

https:[email protected]/the-most...e15#.ipfosbnsn

Last edited by KC; 09-11-2016 at 02:34 PM.

I noticed that Justin Trudeau never said anything bad or untoward when asked about Trump during interviews throughout the eighteen month campaign. Even when pressed by reporters he would only say he would work with whomever gained the White House. Smart man. This may prove to be invaluable to Canada in the coming years.

An interesting read

US election 2016: America's front-porch revolt
    By Rod Dreher
    Senior editor, The American Conservative

For all that, I believe he will be a disaster as president, and that America is entering into a dark and tumultuous period. The forgotten people will learn the hard way that politics cannot fix the worst of our problems, nor can a blowhard reality-show billionaire. And then the real trouble begins.

A confession

Yet I have to confess my own fault here. In the summer of 2015, I sat with my elderly, working-class parents at their rural house, watching Trump's rally in Mobile, Alabama, carried live on Fox News. My folks watched it because they were eager to hear what he had to say. I watched it for laughs. Having worked for five years in the New York media, I was wise to Trump's ways. It would take a while for the rest of America to catch on, but surely it would.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37924687

Interesting interview with Larry King on Rogers Sportsnet of all places. Larry has known Trump for many years and although he readily admits that Donald is an egotist, the Donald he knows is more oolitically moderate than the one who has been campaigning. Larry went to say that he hopes Trump tacks back towards the middle. Obviously, time will tell. Governing and delivering will be a whole different ball of wax than campaigning.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Interesting interview with Larry King on Rogers Sportsnet of all places. Larry has known Trump for many years and although he readily admits that Donald is an egotist, the Donald he knows is more oolitically moderate than the one who has been campaigning. Larry went to say that he hopes Trump tacks back towards the middle. Obviously, time will tell. Governing and delivering will be a whole different ball of wax than campaigning.
    Except for the small matter of promises, including the implicit promise to not be a regular politician.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Except for the small matter of promises, including the implicit promise to not be a regular politician.
    He's not a politician, so that might be easy.

What are you saying, that he will, as King thinks, shift to the middle despite his promises (that would generally be known as lying) or that he will actually keep his promises?

Admin! I'm trying out my new Trump style of civil debate (aka insulting and denigrating). If a President of the earth's most powerful nation can use such tactics, shouldn't everyone be allowed to as well without having their posts vapourized.

White House Won’t Rule Out Pardon to Protect Clinton From Trump

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...ton-from-trump

ISIS Reacts To Trump Election: Islamic State Group Followers Predict End of the Unitee States

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-reacts-t...states-2444320

Admin! I'm trying out my new Trump style of civil debate (aka insulting and denigrating). If a President of the earth's most powerful nation can use such tactics, shouldn't everyone be allowed to as well without having their posts vapourized.
    Don't worry. There a handful on here that use such tactics. They are not too subtle about it either. Seem to think they have been given the gift of being right all the time.

ISIS Reacts To Trump Election: Islamic State Group Followers Predict End of the Unitee States

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-reacts-t...states-2444320

I guess they had to say something.

What are you saying, that he will, as King thinks, shift to the middle despite his promises (that would generally be known as lying) or that he will actually keep his promises?
    I think that with all of Trump's bold promises; there are many that he cannot keep such as forcing Mexico to build a wall or ripping up NAFTA, which may result in a gain for Canada (ie softwood lumber). The reality is that the President does not have dictatorial powers and has limits on government expenditures and many conflicting interests and many people and organizations to please. He is also fundamentally a Democrat. He will end up that he will be constrained by the bureaucracy as in any episode of 'Yes, Minister'. Then there is that darn thing called the US Constitution.

I would not be surprised that Trump supporters in a few months will be calling Trump a sellout for not locking up the Clintons, not building the wall and not locking up Muslims. Does anyone really think that Trump can really solve the Syrian civil war and send all the refugees home?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXLbeg8gO4Y

‘Yes, Minister’ unveils secrets of British foreign policy on Europe; United Nations and diplomacy
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-11-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

CNN reporting anti Trump protests in several U S cities. New York being one.
    Well, maybe they should wait until the guy is actually in the White House, or better yet, just give him a chance.

I asked the question about possible violence by the Democrat side back on Nov.1. This was fairly easy to see coming.

live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    I asked the question about possible violence by the Democrat side back on Nov.1. This was fairly easy to see coming.

It seems like a peaceful protest. It seems 23-35 age group, blacks and whites, mostly guys. One guy said he felt Trump offered nothing up for them and where did they fit in. This is NYC.

The rhetoric throughout this election was very provocative, charged and a lot of very horrible, confrontational things were said. Now it will be up to Trump to try and de-escalate things, which may not be one of his stronger skills.

Trump and his supporters hinted of violence if they did not win. Given how the campaign went, I am not be surprised by some demonstrations, especially by the side that did not win. It might be best just to let demonstrations occur, especially if they are non violent and do not involve significant property damage. Trump may be able to calm things down a bit by sounding reasonable over the next while.

Denigrating minorities might win some support in an election campaign, but one of the problems is it does create real problems after for governing and bringing people together later. People do not forget things that were said and they can not be unsaid.

The few protesters I actually did see being interviewed did not seem rabid. The crowd seemed peaceful. They were marching somewhere in NYC. Don't know what their end destination was. I'm thinking they were college or university people wondering where they fit in. Unless rent a riot shows up with their own protesters these people did not seem out for trouble.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ the protesters in Oakland and smashing windows and setting fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I think that with all of Trump's bold promises; there are many that he cannot keep such as forcing Mexico to build a wall or ripping up NAFTA, which may result in a gain for Canada (ie softwood lumber). The reality is that the President does not have dictatorial powers and has limits on government expenditures and many conflicting interests and many people and organizations to please. He is also fundamentally a Democrat. He will end up that he will be constrained by the bureaucracy as in any episode of 'Yes, Minister'. Then there is that darn thing called the US Constitution.

I would not be surprised that Trump supporters in a few months will be calling Trump a sellout for not locking up the Clintons, not building the wall and not locking up Muslims. Does anyone really think that Trump can really solve the Syrian civil war and send all the refugees home?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXLbeg8gO4Y

‘Yes, Minister’ unveils secrets of British foreign policy on Europe; United Nations and diplomacy
    I think King is right in so far as Trump is not really a social conservative himself. However, in order to get their support he made some promises and those will have to be kept if he wants to get the co-operation of Congress which he will need.

I doubt even he is so vindictive as to want to lock Hillary up - she is done as a political threat, so I expect he has other things more important to deal with now. He will probably have some investigation to appease the lock her up crowd, but if it doesn't find anything that will probably be the end of it.

He will probably put in some travel restrictions to certain countries, with a room for exceptions on a case by case basis or as a lever to negotiate better security agreements with these countries and most (but not necessarily all) of these countries may be Muslim and that will make most people happy.

However, the wall is a bigger problem - if he doesn't do anything there it is very clear he is a liar and I really don't think Mexico will pay anything. It will probably end up being a fence rather than a wall, maybe he will call Home Depot to put something up.

Impression I'm getting from most of the on line papers is it's university students. Very disappointing. One would think they would be the most adaptable to change.

live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

So what's your point,all conservatives are the same? Wrong!
    That's the beauty of it all. Trump owes no one but his voters and even George Bush said that he did not vote for him. Whether he succeeds in making America Great Again (whatever that means) one thing is certain, he has broken all the rules about how to run for the highest office in the US and has still come out on top. American politics will never be the same again.

Wasn't that person already killed on a Washington street?

Quote Originally Posted by buildthemhigh View Post
    Who she couldn't be bothered to thank! or say anything. She sends Podesta to say go home ,get some sleep..classy Hillary, classy! sheesh

... He is 70 and didn't need to do this but he felt he could make a difference. Lets wait and see.
    Really? Like Trump is simply a misunderstood altruistic benefactor? If I didn't know better, I'd label you a venal putz like HL.

Sure, wait and see, but don't delude yourself.

Who she couldn't be bothered to thank! or say anything. She sends Podesta to say go home ,get some sleep..classy Hillary, classy! sheesh
    You are a nasty vile piece of work. Your side won the election now have some grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    ... He is 70 and didn't need to do this but he felt he could make a difference. Lets wait and see.
    Really? Like Trump is simply a misunderstood altruistic benefactor? If I didn't know better, I'd label you a venal putz like HL.

An altruistic benefactor, let see - say someone like Bill Gates who supports a foundation that helps children with AIDS in Africa or Warren Buffet who is very rich, but says the rich should pay more not less tax? Nope, Donald's not like that.

C2E Posting Power

An altruistic benefactor, let see - say someone like Bill Gates who supports a foundation that helps children with AIDS in Africa or Warren Buffet who is very rich, but says the rich should pay more not less tax? Nope, Donald's not like that.
    Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Donald Trump is no Mother Theresa but I don't believe he entered this race primarily so that he could add President to his already full resume (although I don't deny that he has an ego). Does he really believe he can make America Great Again. I think he does. Whether or not he can pull the country together and make it work is another story. He has a tough job ahead of him. For the most part a thankless one where everyone has differing opinions on what the country needs. Just take one look at the riots tonight protesting what... the fact that democracy has spoken.

No kidding, people fought for democracy and when it's put to the test and works they fight against it. Are these protesters a product of the 'there are no losers' upbringing. The product of people who don't give zero's when kids don't hand in homework in, or kids who get the same medal for participation as the other kid did for actually winning. There are winners and losers in most aspects of life. Like it or lump it Trump got in by the proper channels. They are protesting before he has even been sworn in. A win is a win is a win.

... Donald Trump is no Mother Theresa ...
    Still trying to convince yourself? Maybe just re-read your text and consider the magnitude of incredulity within your own understatement.

If that's not enough, maybe consider how comfortable you might feel with an underage family member being privately mentored by such an individual. Right, the same individual now leading the most powerful nation in the western world.

C2E Posting Power

... Donald Trump is no Mother Theresa ...
    Still trying to convince yourself? Maybe just re-read your text and consider the magnitude of incredulity within your own understatement.

If that's not enough, maybe consider how comfortable you might feel with an underage family member being privately mentored by such an individual. Right, the same individual now leading the most powerful nation in the western world.
    I would have the same level of uncomfortableness with Clinton for differing reasons so what's your point? Doing nothing would not be an option for me as I believe that the democratic right to vote is too important to waste. So unfortunately then you have to ask yourself a tough question, not whom do you trust more, but whom do you trust less? For me, that answer was Clinton. Thankfully I did not have to make that actual choice at the ballot box.
    Last edited by edTel; 09-11-2016 at 09:25 PM.

I would have the same level of uncomfortableness with Clinton for differing reasons so what's your point? ...
    Really?? I have no further point. Godspeed your offsping.

I wouldn't trust Trump to look after a goldfish but the American people have spoken. It should be a peaceful transition of government but it seems the Clinton supporters are not co-operating. Clinton should be making a another speech to them reminding them of this.

C2E Posting Power

I would have the same level of uncomfortableness with Clinton for differing reasons so what's your point? ...
    Really?? I have no further point. Godspeed your offsping.
    Dead serious. Clinton scared me more than Trump. This was her race to win from the beginning, but over the course of the campaign her fading credibility with the American voters could not be averted even with the support of a well oiled democratic re-election machine and the liberal media behind her. And just so you don't worry too much my offspring are doing just fine by the way even though one of them is a Flames fan. Nobody's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    You are a nasty vile piece of work. Your side won the election now have some grace.

Hello silly person, I don't have a side. I didn't vote, and, if I had it wouldn't have been for either of the two running, I would have voted green. So I'm not vile, or nasty, Hillary OTOH has about as much class as you!.

Dead serious. Clinton scared me more than Trump. ...
    Dear god. That's how, in the modern era, such people have been handed the reigns of power. One can only pray history's debt won't be repaid now.

F*ck me.

C2E Posting Power

Dead serious. Clinton scared me more than Trump. ...
    Dear god. That's how, in the modern era, such people have been handed the reigns of power. One can only pray history's debt won't be repaid now.

F*ck me.
    You can't be seriously comparing Trump to a modern day dictator? Get real man. This fear mongering has to stop. The man hasn't even been president elect for a day yet. Can you not wait to pass judgement until he has spent some time in the Oval Office. In the words of Hillary Clinton "... we owe him an open mind and the chance to lead..."

This is the effects of Fact Resistant Strain of Humans infecting the US...

You can't be seriously comparing Trump to a modern day dictator? Get real man.
    Heh. You can't seriously be comparing Trump's morality to Hilary's? Get real, man. Sorry, I forgot. You're dead serious.

^ That is all people can do is 'wait and see'. The election has been won, it cant be changed unless there is some huge problem that they find. Now people just have to go with the flow and see how it unfurls. Nobody is deluding themselves. Trump will either be baffling or brilliant or somewhere in between. If the dye is cast people have no choice but to give him a chance.

C2E Posting Power

Heh. You can't seriously be comparing Trump's morality to Hilary's? Get real, man. Sorry, I forgot. You're dead serious.

Believe me I am not deluding myself. He has an incredibly tough job ahead of him as would have Clinton had she won. But as much as she scares me there is no way I would ever compare her to a modern day dictator. The comparison of Trump with a dictator is absurd at best and disingenuous to say the very least.

... Nobody is deluding themselves. ...
    I suggest you couldn't be more incorrect.

Trump will either be baffling or brilliant or somewhere in between. ...
    One can only hope!

Believe me I am not deluding myself.
    If you say so.

... The comparison of Trump with a dictator is absurd at best and disingenuous to say the very least.
    The comparison is to *anyone* with an unquestionably disturbing lack of integrity AND power. To suggest the comparison is disingenuous is naive ... to be polite.

Good luck.

C2E Posting Power

The comparison is to *anyone* with an unquestionably disturbing lack of integrity AND power.
    Ok gotcha now... so you mean someone like Hillary Clinton.

To suggest the comparison is disingenuous is naive ... to be polite.
    If you think Clinton has a higher moral standard than Trump, than to be polite... that is naïve.

Anyway lets agree to disagree for now and see what happens when he actually takes power. I think we can both agree that it will be anything but boring.

If you think Clinton has a higher moral standard than Trump, than to be polite... that is naïve. ...
    That is exactly where naivety rears ... it's ugly head or ... its offspring or ... comprehension of "proof."

What is even more scary is who is Trump going to surround himself with.
    People like Newt, Palin, Christie, Giuliani. Now there's a basket of deplorables if I ever seen one.
    I could put up with listening to Trump for four years because let's face it, he is funny in his own way. But them four, not so much.

Has anyone heard if there is any truth in the rumor that once Trump is sworn in that Whitehouse Press Releases will now be called 'Bozo Alert'?

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

No. You know better than that. You knew the personal attack with the Village ***** award was well offside.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post

No. You know better than that. You knew the personal attack with the Village ***** award was well offside.
    Hey, I took ownership of that award. Plus, I was just expressing concern for build's ability to continue posting her thoughtful commentary.

So when obamacare is replaced, will the new plan be called Trumpcare, or Trumpnocare or Donaldcare or Donocare...

Other potential names?

So when obamacare is replaced, will the new plan be called Trumpcare, or Trumpnocare or Donaldcare or Donocare...

Other potential names?
    Healthcare.

Other potential names?
    Healthcare.
    LOL

Too funny, we had an entire thread for a period on c2e with lefties supposedly worried about what might happen if Trump wins - would his supporters go crazy? Well actually, no, his supporters are not millennials who live in their parents basements, sobbing "not my president" and marching because mommy and daddy didn't vote the way they wanted in the latest cause their 5 minute attention span has turned to...

I'm excited for the US now. With a Republian senate, congress, president, and Court, they can start rolling back stupid "green" projects which aren't economic, ramp up cheap energy production for economic gain (instead of letting China do it for them), pull out of Paris, and pay some attention to actually helping some of the rust bucket states that desperate need the help. The issue in the US, and Canada, isn't the struggling middle class, we have done fine. Its the struggling working class - I hope Trump can generate the economic activity, by surrounding himself with the best and brightest, not the highest donors. Its already been said he won't hire anyone in his government who has ties to industry lobbying - the Washington insiders are going to have to look for real jobs. About ******* time.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-11-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Other potential names?
    Healthcare.
    I see no solution in US healthcare unless Trump gets rid of the insurance companies who take 30% of the premiums off the top and provide no service other than denying claims and excluding people with pre-existing conditions. If Trump does not remove the HMO act of 1973, he will be seen as being in the pockets of the HMO corporations.

Birth of The HMO

Ehrlichman: “… the less care they give them, the more money they make.”

WIKI SOURCE. Better than Wiki Leaks
    Transcript of taped conversation between President Richard Nixon and John D. Ehrlichman (1971) that led to the HMO act of 1973:
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Trans...O_act_of_1973:
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yup, the "everybody gets a trophy" generation just lost their first big election.

It seems like a peaceful protest. It seems 23-35 age group, blacks and whites, mostly guys. One guy said he felt Trump offered nothing up for them and where did they fit in. This is NYC.
    I did not see any significant violence. No one was packing arms like Trump supporters

http://truthfeed.com/standing-their-...trumpers/7684/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The scary part is you actually think she has morals.

Its amazing that with a campaign like this 50% of the American people didn't vote. Most of which were African Americans. If Condoleezza Rice was running instead of Hillary she would have won a landslide victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    The scary part is you actually think she has morals.
    Trump's president of the US and that's what scares you?

No nice building pictures for you, one year!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Its amazing that with a campaign like this 50% of the American people didn't vote. Most of which were African Americans. If Condoleezza Rice was running instead of Hillary she would have won a landslide victory.
    Condi is a republican - she was Bush Jr's work spouse.

A gross mischaracterization of the US electorate.

Only 12 percent of American are identified as Black or African American. I saw long lines of Black voters at the polls. Please provide a source of you claims.

I think you meant Michelle Obama, not Condoleezza Rice. I guess to you, they all look the same.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 10-11-2016 at 08:17 AM.

I did not see any significant violence. No one was packing arms like Trump supporters

http://truthfeed.com/standing-their-...trumpers/7684/

Who were also peaceful and following the law.

Riot shields and packing guns? And then you complain that students with signs are violent?

All the Trump supporters are missing are their Hugo Boss designed Brown Shirts...

Too funny, we had an entire thread for a period on c2e with lefties supposedly worried about what might happen if Trump wins - would his supporters go crazy? Well actually, no, his supporters are not millennials who live in their parents basements, sobbing "not my president" and marching because mommy and daddy didn't vote the way they wanted in the latest cause their 5 minute attention span has turned to...

I'm excited for the US now. With a Republian senate, congress, president, and Court, they can start rolling back stupid "green" projects which aren't economic, ramp up cheap energy production for economic gain (instead of letting China do it for them), pull out of Paris, and pay some attention to actually helping some of the rust bucket states that desperate need the help. The issue in the US, and Canada, isn't the struggling middle class, we have done fine. Its the struggling working class - I hope Trump can generate the economic activity, by surrounding himself with the best and brightest, not the highest donors. Its already been said he won't hire anyone in his government who has ties to industry lobbying - the Washington insiders are going to have to look for real jobs. About ******* time.
    It will be interesting to see what they actually do. Even though they have no excuses now, I don't expect huge changes. Trump has said he'd be all action but I highly doubt it.

Condi is a republican - she was Bush Jr's work spouse.
    She was a Democrat before

Riot shields and packing guns? And then you complain that students with signs are violent?

I didn't say the students were violent.

I think you are looking to start a fight.

Only 12 percent of American are identified as Black or African American. I saw long lines of Black voters at the polls. Please provide a source of you claims.

I think you meant Michelle Obama, not Condoleezza Rice. I guess to you, they all look the same.

Oops, sorry. Was thinking about something else.

And no I meant Rice. If she was one of the candidates running, it would be Rice not Trump, today. And, sorry I don't get the last sentence you wrote above. Explain please.

Oops, sorry. Was thinking about something else.

And no I meant Rice. If she was one of the candidates running, it would be Rice not Trump, today. And, sorry I don't get the last sentence you wrote above. Explain please.
    It all sounds pretty racist to me.

In the sense of not being sexist, many women voted for Trump and not someone of their own sex so it would be hard to say that American women just vote according to sex. Why would American non-whites only vote for someone looking like themselves?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At which point he will be a politician...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It will be interesting to see what they actually do. Even though they have no excuses now, I don't expect huge changes. Trump has said he'd be all action but I highly doubt it.
    A visibly Muslim female friend of mine just messaged to say she was stopped at a red light in Edmonton when a white guy in a big truck pulled up next to her, pulled down the window, yelled obscenities at her, said Trump has won and they are coming for people like her. These are the people Trump has empowered. I can imagine it is much worse for the non-white communities in the US.

U-oh spaghetti-os !

Is she now as visibly upset as she is visibly Muslim ?

So you think it's ok to go around verbally abusing people because of their skin color or religion?
    And if people think that it's only the Muslims that will bear the brunt, you're in for a surprise. It won't stop there.
    Last edited by faraz; 10-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    So you think it's ok to go around verbally abusing people because of their skin color or religion?
    And if people think that it's only the Muslims that will bear the brunt, you're in for a surprise. It won't stop there.
    So, you think that abuse wouldn't have happened if trump haven't won? I think racist abuse is deplorable, but I don't for one moment think Trump is the reason it happens, even if some %^*U$^ throws out his name. It seems to me a lot of people are buying into extremist hype right now about what Trump is and what he isn't. Its silly, this is a time of change, in a few years people will look back and wonder what the big deal was, just like is happening with Brexit now.

Yes, the narrative he spins does contribute to it. There was a rise in hate attacks every time Donald went after Mexicans, hispanics, etc. His rhetoric allows these scumbags to feel empowered to say these things in public. Donald is not creating racists but he's allowing them to feel brave enough to go after people because they know their President is one of them.

A visibly Muslim female friend of mine just messaged to say she was stopped at a red light in Edmonton when a white guy in a big truck pulled up next to her, pulled down the window, yelled obscenities at her, said Trump has won and they are coming for people like her. These are the people Trump has empowered. I can imagine it is much worse for the non-white communities in the US.
    I don't think that's new behaviour. Empowered? Maybe but I'd hope we could have some tools available to counter such harassment. Maybe dash cams, or bait cars, etc.

I always thought it could be interesting to dress up as someone of a minority religion or appearance and just spend a day in their shoes (recording everything of course). ...but then I'd be doing some sort of wrong and disrespectful to those I'd be imitating.

It has been done before, even in Edmonton. The reaction is stunning.

Other potential names?
    Healthcare.
    If it's a bad plan it will probably get called 'No One Cares'.

Yes, the narrative he spins does contribute to it. There was a rise in hate attacks every time Donald went after Mexicans, hispanics, etc. His rhetoric allows these scumbags to feel empowered to say these things in public. Donald is not creating racists but he's allowing them to feel brave enough to go after people because they know their President is one of them.
    Kids in school have found that they are victims of bullying and racism because of the of the Trumpism that has spread.

^yeah, because that's never happened before, Trump is now to blame for all bullying and racist attacks...

Late last night on CNN they said Clinton won the popular vote by about 250,000 votes but the college electorate gave Trump more votes.
    I wonder if Trump has any desire to change the way they vote and another bigly, how long their run up to the election is. That run up is brutal.

Seeing President Obama and President elect Trump, was a good indication the transition will go well. I think Trump looked humbled. He said he would seek Obamas council, as Sanders has said he will advise Trump on some issues. Once the rhetoric is toned down ,I think it will be okay.

Trump's run up party is over, time to sober up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    That aspect of this I actually embrace. It was the sordid rekindling of US-Russian animosities that I found alarming.

And who was doing the rekindling, exactly? The country that has invaded two of it's sovereign neighbors in the last decade and who is presently supporting a dictator that has slaughtered somewhere around half a million of his own people (a full order of magnitude more than his dad managed a half century earlier in Hama), and which has actually seized territory? Or the one saying "hey wait a second, seizing another nation's sovereign territory is not cool"? How many airliners has Obama shot down, exactly? How many opposition politicians and independent journalists has he had assassinated?

Putin will not be appeased by Trump. He will take that as a sign of weakness, and continue his adventures in his backyard and abroad, carving out a larger and larger sphere of influence.
    As crazy as it sounds, my wife is somewhat happy that Trump won because many in the occupied area of Ukraine feel that it will mean the end of the war. Not that Ukraine will have won, but that Ukraine will pull out and cede the occupied territory around Donetsk.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    That aspect of this I actually embrace. It was the sordid rekindling of US-Russian animosities that I found alarming.

And who was doing the rekindling, exactly? The country that has invaded two of it's sovereign neighbors in the last decade and who is presently supporting a dictator that has slaughtered somewhere around half a million of his own people (a full order of magnitude more than his dad managed a half century earlier in Hama), and which has actually seized territory? Or the one saying "hey wait a second, seizing another nation's sovereign territory is not cool"? How many airliners has Obama shot down, exactly? How many opposition politicians and independent journalists has he had assassinated?

Putin will not be appeased by Trump. He will take that as a sign of weakness, and continue his adventures in his backyard and abroad, carving out a larger and larger sphere of influence.
    As crazy as it sounds, my wife is somewhat happy that Trump won because many in the occupied area of Ukraine feel that it will mean the end of the war. Not that Ukraine will have won, but that Ukraine will pull out and cede the occupied territory around Donetsk.
    Many would describe it as an invasion by Russians, rather than a war. However, if the US acquiesces the Russians may just expand the invasion so the war moves to other parts of the country instead. I think the Russians want the whole country back under their control, not just part.

Late last night on CNN they said Clinton won the popular vote by about 250,000 votes but the college electorate gave Trump more votes.
    I wonder if Trump has any desire to change the way they vote and another bigly, how long their run up to the election is. That run up is brutal.
    Sure, for the most part I get that. So which group(s), then got disenfranchised not to vote? Fifty % of America? Sure voter turnout might be on the downside but by 50%?

Kids in school have found that they are victims of bullying and racism because of the of the Trumpism that has spread.
    Citation please. What kids? Where? What age groups?

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast