Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 21 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 5003

Thread: President Donald Trump What Now

The newest revelations in regards to Trump and the Russians is not garnering the traction the Dems hoped it would. Senator John McCain should be looking rather sheepish about now in regards to him passing the dossier on Trump to the FBI. It seems the document is unverified and potentially unverifiable. Nobody seems really interested in it except the talking heads in broadcasting and the news media who seem to be running around like their hair is on fire. The dems seem to be getting more desperate by the day as the inauguration draws closer. They are probably praying that Trump comes down with some kind off illness that stops him from being sworn in. Hopefully there are no more trumped up waste of time bogus stories to contend with, there is only so much b.s. the average person can put up with.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The newest revelations in regards to Trump and the Russians is not garnering the traction the Dems hoped it would. Senator John McCain should be looking rather sheepish about now in regards to him passing the dossier on Trump to the FBI. It seems the document is unverified and potentially unverifiable. Nobody seems really interested in it except the talking heads in broadcasting and the news media who seem to be running around like their hair is on fire. The dems seem to be getting more desperate by the day as the inauguration draws closer. They are probably praying that Trump comes down with some kind off illness that stops him from being sworn in. Hopefully there are no more trumped up waste of time bogus stories to contend with, there is only so much b.s. the average person can put up with.
    And reverting to watching reality TV isn't a collossal waste of time?

Except for the possibly that the US and Russia are now upping their DEFCON statuses, this whole election had been immensely entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Except for the possibly that the US and Russia are now upping their DEFCON statuses,
    Why do you say that? Trump has made it very clear he wants better relations with Russia, and Russia has made it very clear it wants better relations with the US.

Yes, the clock is ticking, the end is coming soon. World war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

McCain has been behaving like a responsible adult - Trump could learn much from him about decency and decorum. Instead he has another hissy fit and goes around accusing CNN of fake news, when what they reported was 100% accurate (they only reported that Trump had been briefed about the dossier, they did not indicate it had been verified).

By the way unverified does not equal untrue and US officials have every right to be aware of, concerned about and investigate these allegations, which is what they are doing and what McCain tried to assist them with by providing them with the information. I would say he was acting as a very responsible citizen here.

McCain wants to perpetuate wars. He's a 100% shill for the Bush family.

You know, I never thought I'd see the day when the LEFT wing are the ones falling for crazy conspiracy theories and telling everyone to trust war-mongering Republicans. But here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Except for the possibly that the US and Russia are now upping their DEFCON statuses,
    Why do you say that? Trump has made it very clear he wants better relations with Russia, and Russia has made it very clear it wants better relations with the US.
    That's if Trump maintains his teflon coating.

However if Trump is somehow proven to be a puppet of Russia, then unkind words will be spoken. Just the possibility that Russian operatives might have been feeding his campaign information would raise tempers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    You know, I never thought I'd see the day when the LEFT wing are the ones falling for crazy conspiracy theories and telling everyone to trust war-mongering Republicans. But here we are.
    A lot of lefties can be very highly strung, fraught, confrontational, bad losers and judgemental as the U S dems are proving right now. They should just let it go. Trump is either going to do spectacularly well or put on a spectacularly poor chit show. I'm sure in the next for years the dems are going to do everything in their power to bring him down. Just like the republicans did to Obama

A lot of lefties can be very highly strung, fraught, confrontational, bad losers and judgemental as the U S dems are proving right now. They should just let it go. Trump is either going to do spectacularly well or put on a spectacularly poor chit show. I'm sure in the next for years the dems are going to do everything in their power to bring him down. Just like the republicans did to Obama
    Lefties? Righties too:

Russia & Trump -- Intelligence Report Serves Russia’s Propaganda Purposes | National Review

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...aganda-disrupt

Would this perhaps be an example of yellow journalism?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Continued Contributor

They always have been a fake agenda driven station .
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ cnn, cbc news world, many online sources all covered this story last night. Local news, not so much.
    Okay, so now that we know its fake news we can all take a deep breath and move forward.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ cnn, cbc news world, many online sources all covered this story last night. Local news, not so much.
    Okay, so now that we know its fake news we can all take a deep breath and move forward.
    As in, put this topic to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Would this perhaps be an example of yellow journalism?
    You're in the right territory there.

Donald Trump will take cybersecurity advice from, um, Rudy Giuliani • The Register
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...cybersecurity/

Trump's cyber-guru Giuliani runs ancient 'easily hackable website' • The Register

Stunned security experts tear strips off president-elect pick hours after announcement

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.ther...?client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by buildthemhigh View Post
    They always have been a fake agenda driven station .
    Do not adjust your screen...

The ultimate conspiracy: a conspiracy against Reddit’s conspiracy community? | The Verge

" Some posters have also started questioning their own moderators’ allegiances, pointing out, “what's funny is that no other story on /r/conspiracy has ever been tagged with ‘Unverified Allegations.’” A comment in that thread, later deleted by moderators, asked, “Can you explain why the mods of this sub are so pro-Trump? They tagged only that post with unverifiable claims and then deleted it and put a tag that says it's a 4chan prank, which in itself is an unverified claim.” "

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.thever...?client=safari

Fortunately, we've got JT in our corner.

Trump revealed his presidential dream to me in 1988. Now the nightmare begins | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian

How will Britain fare? Though his boastful book was a US bestseller, it had snooty reviews over here, as eminent British business people of the John Harvey-Jones type shuddered with repulsion at the cut-throat swagger of Trump’s style. In his corporate deals the other guy is always shafted, especially decent old-world types stupid enough to think a gentleman’s word is his bond.

...but my own assessment back then was: “He’s sharp as a gold-plated razor-blade.” Never underestimate the power of a person without self-doubt.

...Though not religious, Trump says he attends Marble Collegiate Church, home of the rightwing theology of Norman Vincent Peale – a pastor Ronald Reagan rewarded with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I recognised in Trump the strong affirmation he drew from Peale’s bestseller The Power of Positive Thinking. Every atom of Trump’s being is imbued with the Peale magical thinking that says only believe in yourself (not God, not self-sacrifice) ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...8-megalomaniac

The gaurdian great more fake news quotes .

Hey but he got his first Tsar/Czar! Next up maybe a platoon of Kossacks?

Odd isn't it that being one of the largest nations in the middle East Saudi Arabia doesn't get no isis terror attacks. Being facetious here but why is that?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Odd isn't it that being one of the largest nations in the middle East Saudi Arabia doesn't get no isis terror attacks. Being facetious here but why is that?
    First of all, you're flat out wrong. There have been numerous ISIS and other terrorist group attacks in Saudi Arabia over the years. For example: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-mosque-qatif

There was a gunfight there as soon as last weekend: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/is...-a7515576.html

Here's a list of terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia, if you'd like to inform yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Saudi_Arabia

And second of all, the fact is that Saudi Arabia is an autocratic state with huge, strict, and effective security and police services. They've been able to suppress and root out quite a bit of home grown terrorism, but certainly not all of it. That's easier to do when you don't have to worry about pesky things like due process and human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Trump was refusing to take questions from a major media outlet during the question and answer portion of his new conference.

CNN was caught last year leaking debate questions to Donald Trump's opponent. They deserve to be ignored. They are lucky to be allowed in that room at all, in fact.

^He answered a question from Breitbart though. They certainly have no history of extreme bias, witchhunts, or flat out lies.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

An article in The Daily Beast about how the far left is also getting played by Putin.
    Perhaps the starkest case in point is Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein and her constituency. In December 2015, the Kremlin feted Stein by inviting her to the gala celebrating the 10-year anniversary of Kremlin-funded propaganda network RT. Over a year later, it remains unclear who paid for Stein’s trip to Moscow and her accommodations there. Her campaign ignored multiple questions on this score.

We do know, however, that Stein sat at the same table as both Putin and Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, Trump’s soon-to-be national security adviser. She further spoke at an RT-sponsored panel, using her presence to criticize the U.S.’s “disastrous militarism.” Afterward, straddling Moscow’s Red Square, Stein described the panel as “inspiring,” going on to claim that Putin, whom she painted as a political novice, told her he “agree[d]” with her “on many issues.”

Stein presents herself as a champion of the underclass and the environment, and an opponent of the surveillance state and corporate media, and yet she seemed to take pleasure in her marriage of true minds with a kleptocratic intelligence officer who levels forests and arrests or kills critical journalists and invades foreign countries. Their true commonality, of course, is that both Putin and Stein are dogged opponents of U.S. foreign policy.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-far-left.html

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    ^He answered a question from Breitbart though. They certainly have no history of extreme bias, witchhunts, or flat out lies.
    That's for sure.

Quite the lineup of stars confirmed to be performing at the inauguration.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    First of all, you're flat out wrong. There have been numerous ISIS and other terrorist group attacks in Saudi Arabia over the years. For example: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-mosque-qatif

There was a gunfight there as soon as last weekend: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/is...-a7515576.html

Here's a list of terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia, if you'd like to inform yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Saudi_Arabia

And second of all, the fact is that Saudi Arabia is an autocratic state with huge, strict, and effective security and police services. They've been able to suppress and root out quite a bit of home grown terrorism, but certainly not all of it. That's easier to do when you don't have to worry about pesky things like due process and human rights.
    I've just time to watch the CTV news and they don't talk a lot about it unless its major.

There's also the fact that news reports a CHANGE in the status quo. A terrorist attack here is major news, but a terrorist attack in the Middle East is just called "Tuesday".

You would think body parts flying around would get old after a while but they never seem to tire of it.

There's also the fact that news reports a CHANGE in the status quo. A terrorist attack here is major news, but a terrorist attack in the Middle East is just called "Tuesday".
    Nods

Hmm. So does he appear, or not, to believe in the concept of "might makes right".

Trump 'willing to work with Russia and China' - BBC News

"He also said the One China policy, in which the US does not recognise Taiwan, was up for negotiation."
    "If you get along and if Russia is really helping us, why would anybody have sanctions if somebody's doing some really great things?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38621025

If Trump pulls out of NAFTA over 30,000 US auto jobs could be lost. This man is nuts in the head.

Why is that? How?

Buzzfeed beat CNN to the market...

Buzzfeed Editor Smith Clashes With CNN's Stelter on Trump Dossier

SMITH: I wouldn’t say it was irresponsible to say we have a secret document and we’re not going to share it. I would disagree with that but I think it’s a reasonable thought.

STELTER: It’s not possible to have unity in the press corps if Buzzfeed is acting more like Wikileaks just dumping material on the internet and telling the audience to decide if it’s true or not.

SMITH: I think we reported a very important story —

STELTER: there’s a difference between publishing and reporting.

SMITH: We explained the origin of the document. we described the extent to which it was accurate and inaccurate and we shared information that was being — by the way that not just the head of the CIA, dozens if not hundreds of journalists, intelligence officials, elected leaders were seeing and acting on. I do think when you have a document in that kind of circulation among the country’s elites at the center of an incredibly heated political battle, the argument of keeping it away from the American people has to be really really strong.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...trump-dossier/

Oh look, CNN spreading misinformation again!

If Trump pulls out of NAFTA over 30,000 US auto jobs could be lost. This man is nuts in the head.
    While I'm a supporter of free trade, and belive in NAFTA, I can get what Trump is doing. The auto industry in the mid-west is a mess, what he is proposing is really no different from what we do to protect inefficient Quebec dairy farmers. He is posturing for a renegotiation of NAFTA on terms he believes will be more favorable for the US - I think he will get it, because Mexico in particular, doesn't have much of a choice.

Interesting article. Where the author may be a bit dogmatic is his comment: "it is another middle finger to the anti-capitalists that have been emboldened the past eight years".

I didn't see Obama's administration as particularly "anti-capitalistic". Much of the regulation was purely as response to the financial crisis and the return to regulation that was put in place due to past economic volatility (recessions, depressions and massive business failures).

Now for Trump, with his talks of tariffs, etc. and anti-free trade stance, I'd say that is as "anti-capitalistic" as added regulation. I think it may all depend on whose 'ox is being gored' in terms of whether one sees something as pro or anti- capitalistic.

Trump’s Special Adviser Carl Icahn Comes to America’s Rescue
    Carl Icahn may help shred useless regulations and get America working
    By Lawrence Meyers, InvestorPlace Contributor | Jan 10, 2017

He named someone from the business world. Not just any businessman, mind you — he is the single most successful businessman in American history, one whose track record is actually superior to that of Warren Buffett.

Did you guess Dr. John Malone? That would have been a good guess. You’d be close, though. He is named Carl Icahn.

It’s a brilliant move. The announcement alone is laden with messaging. For starters, by using Carl Icahn specifically, it signals that Donald Trump wants to not only get regulation out of the way, but to tear pages out of the federal code and start a dumpster fire with them. It means that all the billions of dollars that are being wasted on compliance will be freed up to invest in business. Sure enough, Carl Icahn is not a fan of regulation:

“I really backed Donald. Number one, I think he’s smart and I think he’s one of the few people that can really shake up the establishment and stop what I consider to be almost idiocy with this overregulation.”

Second, it is another middle finger to the anti-capitalists that have been emboldened the past eight years. ..."

http://investorplace.com/2017/01/car.../#.WH0kh7EZNR4
    By the way, I own shares in Icahn's company - which has exhibited huge volatility.
    Last edited by KC; 16-01-2017 at 01:06 PM.

He'll have a perfect front-row seat for tearing up things that aren't convenient to the billionaire interests of him and his friends, with a few crumbs for anyone else. Will he be operating as a lone gun?

Second, it is another middle finger to the anti-capitalists that have been emboldened the past eight years. Just as Obama created administrative positions that had no accountability, naming Carl Icahn to an unofficial post means that he will have strong influence regarding regulatory reform, be able to act in a way that even benefits his own investments and not have any accountability.
    Seems just as unilateral, but on his side this time around.

He'll have a perfect front-row seat for tearing up things that aren't convenient to the billionaire interests of him and his friends, with a few crumbs for anyone else. Will he be operating as a lone gun?

Second, it is another middle finger to the anti-capitalists that have been emboldened the past eight years. Just as Obama created administrative positions that had no accountability, naming Carl Icahn to an unofficial post means that he will have strong influence regarding regulatory reform, be able to act in a way that even benefits his own investments and not have any accountability.
    Seems just as unilateral, but on his side this time around.
    Everyone has a underlying view of how the world works and should work. No telling what those beliefs really are or what the reality is, but I'm always somewhat suspicious of people that are highly opportunistic and more so of those that are rather ruthless in taking advantage of others.

Basically, people that embrace the idea of "Survival of the fittest" worry me.

Another quote from that article: "sort of believe" (to be fair: 'in terms of regulation')

Certainly, one big area Carl Icahn will concentrate on is energy, and he will also tackle financials. “I do think it’s extremely important for this country that this absurd regulatory environment is toned down somewhat,” he told CNBC. “I’m not against regulations at all. In fact I sort of believe that you need a rule of law. But it’s become literally absurd in many areas.”

http://investorplace.com/2017/01/car.../#.WH0kh7EZNR4

Five Studies: The Psychology of the Ultra-Rich, According to the Research

by Livia Gershon, Jul 31, 2015

AND THEY THINK DOMESTIC INEQUALITY REPRESENTS JUST DESSERTS

Americans are known for our trust in an ideal of meritocracy. When you ask the general public to assess statements like “most people who want to get ahead can make it if they’re willing to work hard,” well over 70 percent of us agree. But what happens when people see high levels of income inequality in their daily lives? It turns out that low-income Americans are less likely to believe in meritocracy if they live in counties with extreme economic inequality — places where they’re likely to run into much richer people a lot. For high-income people, the effect is exactly the opposite. The study’s authors suggest that rich people could be using a defense mechanism to stave off guilt and justify their relatively privileged position within a visibly unequal system. But, for whatever reason, the more inequality rich people see in their home county, they more likely they are to believe that meritocracy is working.
    — “False Consciousness or Class Awareness? Local Income Inequality, Personal Economic Position, and Belief in American Meritocracy,” Benjamin J. Newman, Christopher D. Johnston, and Patrick L. Lown, American Journal of Political Science, April 2015

https://psmag.com/five-studies-the-p...e6f#.ef5tc4m60

"History reminds us that dictators and despots arise during times of severe economic crisis." - Robert Kiyosaki

"Dictators, unlike Democrats, depend on a small coterie to sustain their power. These backers, generally drawn from the military, the senior civil service, and family or clan members, have a synergistic relationship with their dictator. The dictator delivers opportunities for them to become rich, and they protect him from being overthrown." - Bruce Bueno de Mesquita
    Last edited by KC; 16-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.

For the readers in the crowd: The Mind of Donald Trump: "Narcissism, disagreeableness, grandiosity - a psychologist investigates how Trump’s extraordinary personality might shape his possible presidency."

"History reminds us that dictators and despots arise during times of severe economic crisis." - Robert Kiyosaki

Well, that explains Obama.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

For the readers in the crowd: The Mind of Donald Trump: "Narcissism, disagreeableness, grandiosity - a psychologist investigates how Trump’s extraordinary personality might shape his possible presidency."
    me, i'm waiting for the sequel ""the mind of a trudeau": narcissism, perceived agreeableness, grandiosity - a psychologist investigates how trudeau's [pick one or both, father and/or son] extraordinary personality and willful blindness shapes being prime minister"...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    me, i'm waiting for the sequel ""the mind of a trudeau": narcissism, perceived agreeableness, grandiosity - a psychologist investigates how trudeau's [pick one or both, father and/or son] extraordinary personality and willful blindness shapes being prime minister"...
    I don't know what you'd call it but I get the feeling that a lot of these guys have a sense of God Given Right or Destiny or a 'winner should take all' attitude. If you think of tribes and countries through the ages, democracies just don't last. Over the centuries, the norm has long been some sort of autocratic ruler, king, dictator, czar, chief, etc.

Divine right of kings

"The divine right of kings, divine right, or God's mandate is a political and religious doctrine of royal and political legitimacy. It asserts that a monarch is subject to no earthly authority, deriving the right to rule directly from the will of God. The king is thus not subject to the will of his people, the aristocracy, or any other estate of the realm. It implies that only God can judge an unjust king and that any attempt to depose, dethrone or restrict his powers runs contrary to the will of God and may constitute a sacrilegious act. It is often expressed in the phrase ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings

Interesting but likely irrelevant trivia - unless something innate plays a role - like dominance in genes and breeding:

"Michael Ignatieff, the grandson of a Russian Count who served in the cabinet of Czar Nicholas II..."
    http://www.canadian-republic.ca/ignatieff.html

Bush, They Say, Is Indeed a Connecticut Yankee From King Henry's Court
    "Burke's Peerage today released a report tracing the Vice President's family tree to the 1400's. The study by Burke's senior genealogist, Roger Powell, and an American colleague, William Ward, found that Mr. Bush has more connections to British and European royalty than any President of the United States. Queen's 13th Cousin..."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/05/us...y-s-court.html

"The popular Canadian genealogy website says Liberal leadership frontrunner Justin Trudeau, and NDP leader Tom Mulcair are distant relatives – ninth cousins, to be exact.
    The two prominent politicians share a set of eighth-great-grandparents: Mathieu Amiot and Marie Miville, who were married in Quebec in 1650, the website says.
    Amiot and Miville were among the first Quebec settlers, and apparently had quite an impact on the political future of a country that, at the time, didn’t yet exist."
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...oes-are-family

In this case I think they are wrong about the "weaker" always being subordinate. The stronger can simply be less aggressive. I think it's the willingness to be aggressive that is the key.
    Life's Extremes: Leaders vs. Followers
    By Adam Hadhazy | November 20, 2011

"...In following the evolutionary example, however, someone has to be top dog. Oftentimes the biggest and toughest male and female animals become the alphas of a wolf pack, say, or in monkey troops, cow herds, or flocks of geese. The subordinate role falls to the smaller and weaker members of the group.

"If you're going to be the alpha gorilla, it's really based on your size and temperament," Riggio said. "You have to be willing to fight and able to fight."

http://www.livescience.com/17116-lif...followers.html

Watch the video here - note the worry in the lady's reaction.
    Trump asks why US can't use nukes: MSNBC

"Several months ago, a foreign policy expert on the international level went to advise Donald Trump. And three times [Trump] asked about the use of nuclear weapons. Three times he asked at one point if we had them why can't we use them," Scarborough said on his "Morning Joe" program.

Scarborough made the Trump comments 52 seconds into an interview with former Director of Central Intelligence and ex-National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden. ...

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump...h-reports.html

Here’s What Donald Trump Has Said About Nuclear Weapons

http://time.com/4437089/donald-trump...weapons-nukes/
    Last edited by KC; 16-01-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Oh, I see what you did there. Nice move.

'We are relaxed because we are winning again': Russia welcomes an unconventional Trump
    U.S. president-elect seen as more willing partner in pursuit of thaw in Russian-American relations
    By Susan Ormiston, CBC News Posted: Jan 18, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 18, 2017 6:35 AM ET

"Mr. Trump has a much more powerful country behind him, Mr. Putin and Russia has been much more clever than America. So power versus smartness — we'll see," says Karaganov.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-trump-1.3938106

'

Classic.

Just classic.

Top_Dawg never ceases to be amazed by the wing nuts that walk among us.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3187585/ed...in-washington/

The comments section is the best.

^On the route to get to that march some retailers should have blow out sales. I should imagine 90% of the women going would then not make it to the rally. They would forget why they even went to Washington but they sure would get some bargains. Hopefully the 'Edmonton Contingent' do not have big Canadian flags that they plan to carry as I don't want to be included as a 'Canadian Women Protesting Trump'. Maybe their time would be better spent doing a couple of days volunteer work in Edmonton.

^On the route to get to that march some retailers should have blow out sales. I should imagine 90% of the women going would then not make it to the rally. They would forget why they even went to Washington but they sure would get some bargains. Hopefully the 'Edmonton Contingent' do not have big Canadian flags that they plan to carry as I don't want to be included as a 'Canadian Women Protesting Trump'. Maybe their time would be better spent doing a couple of days volunteer work in Edmonton.

And not be on TV, no chance. Some of them are marching for different causes. Its something I don't care about. I have enough worries with little potato head...

Yeah there are enough political buffoons in Canada without going to the States to protest.

So Canadians who won't get off the couch to protest many of the problems in Canada are traveling to Washington to protest the leader of a different country? What a complete waste of everyone's time.

Interfering with another country's 'politics' is rapidly becoming taboo.

So this may be a good way to get bared from the US.

From what I understand, the border people have near absolute authority to put anyone they want, onto a no entry list.

So... imagine if word comes down from Trump...

I'd want to be going there for other valid reasons so at least I'd I have some recourse for appeal.
    Last edited by KC; 18-01-2017 at 02:45 PM.

From what I understand, the border people have near absolute authority to put anyone they want, onto a no entry list.

I'd want to be going there for other valid reasons so at least I'd I have some recourse for appeal.
    There are a lots of people from the US who for whatever reason have moved to Canada over the years. I wonder if many of the Canadians going there are US expats and/or have some other close connection to the US (ex. family or close friends that live there). If so, I suppose they could say they were going to visit family or friends when asked at the border, if that was the case. If it is a large protest, it would be difficult for the border people to determine what non residents were there.

So this may be a good way to get barred from the US.
    It's likely only going to become a problem for you if you get arrested while protesting.

I'm curious to the answer when asked at Customs "Reason for your visit to the U.S.?"
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^same as Jane Fonda used I'd guess, or Ignatieff, "just visting".

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

for those of us old enough to remember, canadians have long interfered with american politics although it could be argued that it might better have been classified as participation rather than interference.

from the slave trails leading to canada to avoiding prohibition through to civil rights marches and anti-vietnam war protests, canadians have a long history of supporting america when we agree with her and protesting against her when we do not and that has always extended to participation on their soil as well as our own (not without consequences mind you, including numerous deaths).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

for those of us old enough to remember, canadians have long interfered with american politics
    Don't tell us you were there in 1812 when we burned down the Whitehouse. Why, you don't look a day over 150!

While I'm a supporter of free trade, and belive in NAFTA, I can get what Trump is doing. The auto industry in the mid-west is a mess, what he is proposing is really no different from what we do to protect inefficient Quebec dairy farmers. He is posturing for a renegotiation of NAFTA on terms he believes will be more favorable for the US - I think he will get it, because Mexico in particular, doesn't have much of a choice.
    I get why he's doing it as well. I'm genuinely interested what the ramifications will be. Let's say other countries retaliate. It's not like every auto manufacturer can build a plant in each country. So, would there be enough domestic market for those automakers to grow, should their products rapidly become heavily taxed throughout the rest of the world? What if foreign suppliers of components or raw materials retaliate by jacking up the cost of inputs that the US doesn't have? It's not inconceivable for electronics headed to the US to be taxed by the source country, and that's an industry that the US does not have.

As it stands, Trump was generally elected by middle-America. But he's making plays that will result in a few jobs, but not that many, but it could definitely increase prices and reduce services (like healthcare) to the people that need the most relief or currently rely on those services the most (the top Trump voting states are the biggest users of ACA and Medicaid, both of which are likely to be pillaged).
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

for those of us old enough to remember, canadians have long interfered with american politics
    Don't tell us you were there in 1812 when we burned down the Whitehouse. Why, you don't look a day over 150!
    Well, the Americans burned down York (now Toronto) first, so that's why we burned down the White House. Fortunately, they haven't held it against us too much, but that is probably because they blame the British for the War of 1812 more than us. However, we probably shouldn't push our luck too much with them - Canadian protesters, please leave your matches at home and maybe avoid wearing those backpacks with the maple leaf on them to the protest.

TV listings call it " The Return of The Twilight Zone ".....http://www.fox46charlotte.com/politics/229369333-story
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Mexico is closing the border for 12 hours today due to protests
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Attendees will gather outside the north side of the Alberta Legislature building and hear from a series of speakers and performers before walking around the fountain area.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...p-inauguration

Top_Dawg just wants to warn all the severely normal to steer way clear of The Common on Saturday afternoon.

After their femofascist bing bong these riot grrrls and clit yeastwoods will descend on the place like locusts, looking for targets while their furious misandric blood lust is amped to the max.

Could get ugly.

for those of us old enough to remember, canadians have long interfered with american politics although it could be argued that it might better have been classified as participation rather than interference.

from the slave trails leading to canada to avoiding prohibition through to civil rights marches and anti-vietnam war protests, canadians have a long history of supporting america when we agree with her and protesting against her when we do not and that has always extended to participation on their soil as well as our own (not without consequences mind you, including numerous deaths).
    Today though, they have a president that will be flexing his nationalistic powers. What country likes foreigners coming into the country to engage in protests? So, with the exclusionary powers they seem to have, I'd say it's a risk they may be taking - maybe worth it - or not.

I don't know if the job titles mean all that much to Trump.

The Four Tops: Trump’s team of Priebus, Bannon, Conway and Kushner
    Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2017 by CNN in Election

Prior presidents have relied on their chief of staff to run the show in the White House. But Trump has anointed his, Reince Priebus, with the same authority and access as senior adviser and counselor Steve Bannon. They’ll be joined in the White House by Kellyanne Conway, counselor to the president, and Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner.

All four will have easy access to Trump in the oval office. And they’re all but certain to take opposing views on major issues — a dynamic that played out during Trump’s presidential campaign and is expected to carry over to his administration.

The arrangement offers an early look at Trump’s preferred management structure: Competing power centers and conflicting viewpoints that, in Trump’s eye, means the strongest proposal wins, according to advisers. It’s a format that helped him soar in business and win the presidency in stunning fashion.

Now, Trump is trying to apply it to the unwieldy bureaucracy of Washington.

“He likes contrary views, arguing views. He thinks that generates creative thinking. ..."

“I told them, ‘Be yourselves and say what you wanna say. Don’t worry about me,'” Trump recently told reporters at Trump Tower. “I’m going to do the right thing, whatever it is.”

http://gantdaily.com/2017/01/19/the-...y-and-kushner/

Steve Bannon Loses Chief of Staff Post After Embarrassing Trump With Photo
    President-Elect Trump unwittingly posed with a man who told Scotland's leader to 'tape her legs shut'

http://heatst.com/politics/farage-st...g-trump-photo/

EXCLUSIVE: FBI ‘Granted FISA Warrant’ Covering Trump Camp’s Ties To Russia

http://heatst.com/world/exclusive-fb...ies-to-russia/

Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. Sets Up Conservative Website Heat Street
    http://variety.com/2016/digital/glob...et-1201708107/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/heat-street/
    Last edited by KC; 19-01-2017 at 02:51 PM.

^Looks like that Bannon story is from Nov 14, 2016 and cannot open it.
    CNN is covering the inaugural concert at Lincoln Memorial as we speak. Trumlethinskin is there with his family and will address the masses.

CNN?

Pfft. Fake news.
    There can only be one.

^That's true, the DNC is controlling them. We are getting the exact same media spin that happened when Bush beat Al Gore - that the election results weren't legitimate, that he wasn't really a proper president, that he didn't have a mandate, etc. etc. The Democrats just can't handle losing, and their media darlings will post whatever nonsense that supports that view. The true irony is that Hillary accused Trump of not being willing to accept the results - how the dirty worm has turned.

Default Trunp poised to reverse decades of US policy

Harper basically saying what I have been saying, the US under Trump will be more insular / less interested in world affairs - no longer the worlds policeman (which oddly, is what a lot of Liberals wanted but never got under Obama):

Harper called Trump “a candidate without precedent in American history.”

He said Trump rejects “that America alone must accept overarching responsibility for global affairs,” and he says that’s a notion that’s in step with the views of the American public.

Harper said many in the world may not like this foreign policy shift, which will focus on “America’s vital national interest, narrowly defined, especially its economic interests.”

“It will work with friends and allies on shared interests, but only when such friends and allies are prepared to bring real assets to the table. That, by the way, is going to apply first and foremost to Europe.”

The second will be a major shift on China.

“Under Trump, the United States will cease to view the rise of China as benign,” Harper said. “It is more profoundly concerned that the massive trade imbalance means America is financing the rise of a geopolitical adversary.”

That view is more in step with U.S. public opinion “which has always been skeptical of the foreign policy and corporate consensus that China is more an opportunity than a threat,” he added.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...en-harper-says

Here's the joke: Trump says CNN is fake news, and implies that everything they publish/broadcast can be dismissed. You believe him.

CNN is broadcasting Trump's inauguration. Therefore per Trump logic, it can be dismissed as fake new.

I don't expect you to get it.
    There can only be one.

^That's true, the DNC is controlling them. We are getting the exact same media spin that happened when Bush beat Al Gore - that the election results weren't legitimate, that he wasn't really a proper president, that he didn't have a mandate, etc. etc. The Democrats just can't handle losing, and their media darlings will post whatever nonsense that supports that view. The true irony is that Hillary accused Trump of not being willing to accept the results - how the dirty worm has turned.
    The "winner" getting fewer votes than the loser does kind of open one up to questions about legitimacy. Trump's coziness with the Russians and their involvement with leaking damaging info. on Hillary, but not Trump also casts a big shadow on his legitimacy. If the Republicans don't want these sort of accusations in the future, then they should try get more votes than their opponents for a change. Staying away from Putin, would be a good idea too.

Apparently The Clinton's are going to the inauguration tomorrow. Surprising since a lot of Republicans have opted out due to Trump's Martin Luther King and followers twitter war. If his opponent can bite the bullet and go surely members of his own party can do the same. Trump has a long memory and I'm sure he will not forget who was there and who was not there for his crowning. In four years at the helm he could do a lot of damage to someone's career.

Vote totals don't matter to legitimacy. He was elected.

It does strongly affect the strength of his mandate.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    CNN?

Pfft. Fake news.
    I like how Trump supporters made outrageous claims every day of the election that CNN was biased yet almost every night had equal numbers of panelists from both sides with equal time to speak and air their views.
    Then these Trump airheads had the nerve to claim that CNN was so biased as they got millions of dollars of free airtime.

Kelly Ann Conway was on so often that my TV screen has a burned in blond spot.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 19-01-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

We've enjoyed what we have seen so far, Trump supporters of whom there are many seem delighted and happy. The ones that feel like marching tomorrow, well carry on losers.Ruin the day or try. Better you wait until Saturday. We will watch the inauguration with interest, as we always do. I don't turn my back on history.

I watched all the proceedings from Washington today. Everything went surprisingly well. Hail to the chief.

I loved seeing him signing everything, and everyone joking around ( the Trump people don't see often enough.). The grandchildren asking to go home, all very natural..

Don't just pick on the DNC. It's the same old tiresome, corrupt, unscrupulous politics every party engages in, though, you never know when one or the other side might just be right - because it is all about politics and sometimes seizing power. Corruption, cheating, lying, etc. are nothing new and have been proved over and over again to occur at all levels, so never rule out anything.

Anyway, the US had months if not years of people saying Obama wasn't legitimate due to birth and so he didn't have a mandate either. Basically the same old, same old.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    We've enjoyed what we have seen so far, Trump supporters of whom there are many seem delighted and happy. The ones that feel like marching tomorrow, well carry on losers.Ruin the day or try. Better you wait until Saturday. We will watch the inauguration with interest, as we always do. I don't turn my back on history.
    And violent or destructive protests in other places. Seemingly silly old pomp and ceremony combined with an underlying hatred of democratic results.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I watched all the proceedings from Washington today. Everything went surprisingly well. Hail to the chief.
    I didnt' know that your were an american.

Vote totals don't matter to legitimacy. He was elected.

It does strongly affect the strength of his mandate.
    Vote totals determine his legitimacy, just not overall totals. As for his mandate - his powers are constitutional - they are what they are so I don't think questions of overall vote matter in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    CNN?

Pfft. Fake news.
    I like how Trump supporters made outrageous claims every day of the election that CNN was biased yet almost every night had equal numbers of panelists from both sides with equal time to speak and air their views.
    Then these Trump airheads had the nerve to claim that CNN was so biased as they got millions of dollars of free airtime.

Kelly Ann Conway was on so often that my TV screen has a burned in blond spot.
    CNN's talking heads often diminished the status of several republican talking heads. There were regular smirks and looks of disgust, cutting off commentary etc. It's subtle but attacking the messenger and various other tricks are are how its done to appear fair when you have you're pursuing your own agenda under the guise of fairness. There was also the incessant parsing, rehashing and debating of Trump's off the cuff remarks when that wouldn't occur with others. When it was raised about unfair air time on other issues, CNN pulled out their time / reporting stats showing equal treatment, but I rarely saw the 'other side' discussions because they weren't timed for maximum viewership.

Similarly I heard someone on the radio trying to dispel the notion that Obama made things worse. She had a number of valid stats proving how much better things were since Obama arrived, but then used average income increases rather than median income stats. It may have been quite innocent, but that's often a huge red flag that someone is trying to spin their facts while looking reasonable.
    Last edited by KC; 20-01-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Yeah, those CNN smirks just tore up and crushed Kelly Ann Conway while she endlessly milked the Hillary email non-issue. Here is another smirk right at you...

The right wing brings out their crying towels every weekend when they watch the opening of the SNL episode.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 20-01-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Military are on, Commander in chief salutes them..Love the military

The right wing brings out their crying towels every weekend when they watch the opening of the SNL episode.
    Get out of here - nobody cries about SNL.

Mandate as in political capital. A president elected with a large margin can throw more weight around, usually. Also would have more room to annoy some of his supporters and still have acchsnce a second term. Although this being Trump wouldn't assume he wants one.
    There can only be one.

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Mandate as in political capital. A president elected with a large margin can throw more weight around, usually. Also would have more room to annoy some of his supporters and still have acchsnce a second term. Although this being Trump wouldn't assume he wants one.
    Trump has already mentioned his 8 years of presidency.

These guys are talking about all the growth and recovery over the past 7 or 8 years and what Trump will do...

Watch at 11 minutes about how it is unusual to be adding fiscal stimulus at the top of a cycle...

and at 14 minutes where every city he's been to "is booming" '

U.S. GROWTH ACCELERATING/U.S. RECESSION YEARS AWAY-EXCLUSIVE OUTLOOK FROM WALL STREET’S #1 ECONOMIST ED HYMAN
    January 6, 2017
    In an exclusive interview, Ed Hyman, Wall Street’s # 1 ranked economist for a record 36 years describes how much the financial world has changed...

http://wealthtrack.com/u-s-growth-ac...mist-ed-hyman/

GLOBAL GROWTH ACCELERATING- PART 2 OF 2017 OUTLOOK FROM WALL STREET ED HYMAN
    January 13, 2017
    In part 2 of our exclusive interview with Wall Street’s number one economist Ed Hyman, and top global investor

http://wealthtrack.com/global-growth...mist-ed-hyman/
    Last edited by KC; 20-01-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Boy the crowds are loud..

Yeah, those CNN smirks just tore up and crushed Kelly Ann Conway while she endlessly milked the Hillary email non-issue. Here is another smirk right at you...

The DNC corruption e-mails were a huge issue. Clinton's server - yes, lots of milking there without anything to back it up (no pun intended).

The DNC corruption e-mails were a huge issue.
    Same with John Podesta's emails. Lots of ethical breaches in there including - collusion with news stations, overlap/conflict of interest between the Clinton campaign and Clinton Foundation, press secretly giving debate questions to Hillary ahead of time, Hillary's Goldman Sachs speeches (her dream of a no-border Western Hemisphere, her having a private and a public opinion on each issue, etc.). Also we got to see what a complete fool Podesta was, giving up his passwords in a phishing scam, emailing his passwords to himself, and refusing to listen to others telling him to change his passwords even after his emails were being leaked to the public (people started posting with his Twitter account, telling people that he "switched teams" and to "vote Trump" before he deleted it - ha ha).

Well its a done deal. President Trump, done deal...

Now America gets to find out what they bought.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Now America gets to find out what they bought.
    Yup, kind of like Canada and snowflake.. lol

Not much will change. The US citizens already are pretty uneducated and unhealthy.

Loved when President Trump and VP pence danced with the military. They sure support him, mind you, after Obama, I would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Not much will change. The US citizens already are pretty uneducated and unhealthy.
    Wow

Based on what?

From my personal experience and people I have dealt with and have become friends with...

Generally they are very similar to most Canadians with some exceptions.

- Most Americans are far better versed on their own country than we are on ours. Particularly their countries history and achievements.
    - Most I have met are as well read and educated as the Canadians I know.
    - Most are far more concerned about how well the people in their "local world" (for lack of a better term) than those I meet here.
    - They, on average, certainly seem as engaged or more so in their communities.

Do they have their warts ... sure. I have no desire to become an American, but by the same token I can't see how you can justify such a broad brush comment.

IMO

-

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Wow

Based on what?
    It's a tedious knee-jerk trope handed down through generations of Canadians, ironically only lightly-educated themselves at best. For many it's the only Canadian character they have - not being American. Old people and those who only know of America through consuming their media products, are especially prone to it.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast