Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,100 of 2256

Thread: President Donald Trump What Now

Both my parents suffered through it in Germany.

We the same xenophobia, racist, authoritarian, propaganda and the crushing of dissent, disregard for the Courts and the Constitution.

Those who fail to learn from history are bound to repeat it.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Sorry that your parents had to endure that.

Eisenhower warned about the military-industrial complex back in 1961, and we are now seeing how a 5th column in an intelligence agency like the CIA can dangerously attempt to undermine an elected Head of State in the USA.

So yes, unfortunately some things never change.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    No

We have seen it before.

This is a random comparison that does nothing to your argument.

Whether one thinks they are right or wrong in these exchanges (and what is that if ones views are indelibly linked usually to where they sit on the political spectrum.)

These discussions typically go nowhere online and just become **** flinging as witnessed earlier in this thread. But to Invoke Godwins Law in regularity just exhibits how disjointed the discussion is.

But more to the point why would you do that? When you are making your point reasonably well why subterfuge your own argument?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

1933 is a direct comparison.

Igoring that fact is at your own peril.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Both my parents suffered through it in Germany.

We the same xenophobia, racist, authoritarian, propaganda and the crushing of dissent, disregard for the Courts and the Constitution.

Those who fail to learn from history are bound to repeat it.
    Mine as well, excepting that my parents would go ballistic on somebody that flippantly made the comparison. Because they know well what those horrors truly were. Don't you see that making invalid comparisons also disrespects what your parents actually went through?

As far as your quote the one history I don't want repeated in this lifetime is a cold war. I'd far rather have a US-Russian world with ties and close relations. As imperfect as those are I prefer that to the alternative.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

1933 is a direct comparison.

Igoring that fact is at your own peril.
    Its a comparison you made. Its not a valid comparison. As many times as you make it.

As expressed, the biggest peril of my lifetime and everybody else on the planet was the prospect of cold war and nuclear annihilation brought on by the two world powers engaged in the cold war. I'm more than happy if different relations between those two countries occur. I could quote the same epitaph to apply to my argument, which only adds that the commonly quoted citation is noise that can be applied to largely any argument. The logical fallacy of it being easily exposed when consideration of "what part(s) of history are to be selectively remembered and ignored... To that end the"learn from history" citation is the same deadwood as engaging in repeated Godwins. Not even mentioning that history as written is often an adjunct posthoc construct itself.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-02-2017 at 01:01 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Omg I love this press conference. LOL.

We know what happened after 1933.

We do not know what will happen after 2017 but if history repeats itself...

No one can predict the future but suggesting it is not wrong. If you don't like the comparison, that's your problem.

We know what happened after 1933.

We do not know what will happen after 2017 but if history repeats itself...

No one can predict the future but suggesting it is not wrong. If you don't like the comparison, that's your problem.
    You just confirmed that it isn't a validated argument to make then. Whether you realize that or not which would be your problem.

Nor did you "suggest it" you made it as a declarative emphatic statement.

So in otherwords "If Trump becomes Hitler" which at best involves circular tautology *reasoning*.

You may think that is valid political discourse. It isn't.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-02-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

Wow - watching the replay here at lunch. Wow. Trump is currently scraping the mainstream media off the bottom of his shoe.

To quote Shakespeare: "Methinks he doth protest too much." How is this making America great again? He can't sue them into submission as he has other adversaries in the past, so what's his end-game?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

He's helping the Republicans (and other conservatives) find their backbone when the left-leaning press unfairly attacks them.

This being the age of media, you'd think Trump would do something other than set himself up as a clown to be ridiculed. Oh well, it keeps him, and believe me, only him, in the spotlight where he revels.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Continued Contributor

PRT, you answered 1933 to the following statement:
    "It certainly feels much different than any other election in our lifetimes, doesn't it?"
    Keep squirming.

I stand by it.

Just because it happened before I was born does not mean I did not feel the effect and shame of it as a son of German immigrants. Nor does it make me ignorant of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    To quote Shakespeare: "Methinks he doth protest too much."

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    He's helping the Republicans (and other conservatives) find their backbone when the left-leaning press unfairly attacks them.
    When will the thin skinned Trump learn?

Presidents come and go, the free and independent press will always prevail.

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost."
    • Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. James Currie (28 January 1786) Lipscomb & Bergh 18:ii.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 16-02-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Robert Rodriguez understands economics and business...

FEBRUARY 13, 2017
    Bob Rodriguez: Trump Might Be Acting; Huge Financial Crisis Still Looming
    The legendary money manager, recently retired, is as candid as ever in an interview with ThinkAdvisor

"...

In 2009, you said that if nothing was done about the fiscal situation, we’d be facing a huge crisis with total debt outstanding of about $20 trillion to $24 trillion by 2018. Still think so?

Well, we’re at $20 trillion right now; and by the time the presidential election of 2020 occurs, current budget estimates say the U.S. debt is going to be at least $23 trillion — without anything that Trump does. Over the next five to 10 years, if deficits continue to rise and the debt continues to expand, will that lead to the 4% GDP growth that he envisions? I think it’s a low-odds outcome. This is a ticking time bomb.

The president says he wants to spend money on upgrading the nation’s infrastructure. If he does, how can he keep the deficit down?

If you don’t have sufficient money in your family budget, you make choices about what you’re going to spend and not spend on. That’s what’s going to happen [regarding the U.S. deficit]. If not, the debt will explode beyond what it already is.

What’s your take on the Federal Reserve?

I wouldn’t give [chair] Janet Yellen the responsibility of managing a hot dog stand! She’s as clueless as [chairs Ben Bernanke and Alan Greenspan] were. With the Fed’s insane monetary policy and distortion of the financial system for the last eight years, they haven’t accomplished any real economic growth.

What have they done?
    Repression of interest rates has helped the budget in the sense that it’s keeping rates low and has driven the financial markets. But it’s going to end with many unintended consequences. Is this a sustainable outcome as you’re quadrupling the debt of the United States? The odds are..."

As a first-generation Mexican-American, what do you think about the wall that Trump wants to build between the U.S. and Mexico? It took your forebears seven years to enter the U.S. from Mexico.

Between 1916 and 1923, there was no fence between the border of Sonora, Mexico, and Arizona. You could just walk across. My grandmother explained to our family why we weren’t going to do that: “Our future is not in Mexico. Our future is in the United States. But I want my children to be able to walk down the street with their heads held high and their eyes looking ahead, not over their shoulder. We will enter the country legally.” That’s why it took seven years.

But what about the wall that President Trump said he’ll build?

I’m holding a standard no different from the one my grandmother had for our family. I’m all in favor of anything that will be an impediment to restrict the illegal flow of people from the South to the North. It’s an atrocity that we have this violation of law, which is reflective of our broken immigration system.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2017/02/...urn=1487276341

bolding was mine

Wow - watching the replay here at lunch. Wow. Trump is currently scraping the mainstream media off the bottom of his shoe.
    If all we are getting is interviews that are a total waste of everyone's time, why are you enjoying them?

Sorry, should I presume it's the pure entertainment value like SNL? I'm quite ok with that.

He's certainly strapped the booster rockets on "political theatre."

Is anyone other than his supporters still eating up his repetitive empty hyperbole? "Tremendous", "catastrophic", "terrible", "wonderful", "incredible", "so dishonest", "out of control", "fantastic", "disaster", "enormously", "hatred", "fabulous", "extrmely", "more than you would understand", "spread like cancer", "lovely", "the worst", "repulsive", "monumental", "massive", "tiny fraction", "horrendous", "horrible", "destroy", "infested", "a joke", "repulsive", "one of the greatest ___ in history", "decades and decades and decades", "living hell", "unprecedented", "very very (very)___", "I am the least (something bad)", "I am the most (something good)", and of course "bigly".

How long until he wears out the meaning of all that adjective salad among supporters?

Why does a media-whore president that's only been in power for a month need to remind everyone what he's been doing? Insecure much?

- Jeez I wish those pressers made the questions audible.

It is interesting that he flings innuendo so freely "I think it's ___ I don't know, does anyone know?" yet pleads for "truth" and "fairness" from others.

And still beating the old Hillary horse. How long will he be allowed to do that?

Oh, he brought up the "tone" angle. Anyone here ever had someone spring that card on them? How well did that work?

Quite the show... wonder if it will work outside his own mind...

Well according to the Canadian Cheeto-in-Chief fan club here on C2E he knocked it out of the park...

It's taking me forever to get through the transcripts. His brutal bludgeoning of the English language every time he opens his mouth makes for slow reading. Plus I keep re-reading some parts to stave off my own incredulity at some of the stuff he's trying to put out there.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Is anyone other than his supporters still eating up his repetitive empty hyperbole? "Tremendous", "catastrophic", "terrible", "wonderful", "incredible", "so dishonest", "out of control", "fantastic", "disaster", "enormously", "hatred", "fabulous", "extrmely", "more than you would understand", "spread like cancer", "lovely", "the worst", "repulsive", "monumental", "massive", "tiny fraction", "horrendous", "horrible", "destroy", "infested", "a joke", "repulsive", "one of the greatest ___ in history", "decades and decades and decades", "living hell", "unprecedented", "very very (very)___", "I am the least (something bad)", "I am the most (something good)", and of course "bigly".

How long until he wears out the meaning of all that adjective salad among supporters?

Why does a media-whore president that's only been in power for a month need to remind everyone what he's been doing? Insecure much?

- Jeez I wish those pressers made the questions audible.

It is interesting that he flings innuendo so freely "I think it's ___ I don't know, does anyone know?" yet pleads for "truth" and "fairness" from others.

And still beating the old Hillary horse. How long will he be allowed to do that?

Oh, he brought up the "tone" angle. Anyone here ever had someone spring that card on them? How well did that work?

He must be getting a desperate now to bring up Hillary. As the saying goes, Hillary "has left the building", sometime in early November 2016, I believe.

She is probably trying to enjoy her retirement now, going for long walks, visiting bookstores, watching funny things on TV and laughing, like most people who are 5 years past regular retirement age.

On the other hand, I don't think Donald is enjoying his golden years being on the hot seat almost every day. The Russian noose around him seems to tighten almost daily. Perhaps he thought the Presidency would be a piece of cake. So wrong, bigly !

I think Trump went out, thinking that Spicer, Flynn, Kellyanne and all the rest of his staff are idiots and he can handle it.

Amazing how he took credit for all the growth that happened under Obama

Sort of like a fieldkicker and was called in in the last minute of play, leading 30-7 and added a fieldgoal and saying he won the superbowl

From Trump's media fight today

Mr Trump acknowledged the leaks about his campaign staffers’ ties to Russia were “real”, but said the news they generated was fake.

“I mean, the leaks are real. You know what they said, you saw it. And the leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake,” he said.

So I guess that the leaks are real according to the POMPOUS POTUS.

Just to derail this conversation a little bit, I found this great article from Slate in October where Obama lectures Trump on how to lose gracefully and how "there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America’s elections,".
    Funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._takedown.html

Amazing how before the election, Trump loved leaks and encouraged more leaks to come from Russia and Wiki leaks.

Now as President, he hates leaks, says they are very unfair and rants that they are illegal.

I've been making a point of NOT getting directly involved in this thread but ...

In my opinion ... The press has been neither free or independent of a long time ... pretty much since the late 60s/early 70s

That goes both left and right depending on the issue. Opinion dominates, not facts. Stories that don't "fit the mold" don't get covered or if they do minimally. Examples are all over the place locally, Provincially, Nationally and Continent wide... look you'll find them. Then there is the real "fake NEWS" and "Uncovered NEWS". How the news is presented, eye rolls and all taints the picture and sends credibility messages and slants regularly. Again IMO. And why overseas sources and Reuters are now my fact sources.

In all of the above cases pick a controversial topic and google for yourselves you'll find it.

Then there is the self righteousness in this thread's conversation ... great, you're creating a Canadian Trump with the attitudes oft presented.
    I don't like Donald Trump as a person, never have and since long before his political aspirations.

I do not want a Canadian style Donald Trump in office. But the self righteous, "know betters" posting are the ones creating the Canadian Trump In My Opinion.

Don't agree with me, fine your right. Don't believe me, fine.

But read this article from "Cracked.com" a very progressive source and it will confirm exactly what happened in the USA and what you are creating here ... enjoy.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reason...e-talks-about/

Keep up the good work and we will have a Trump of our own.

In my highly biased personal opinion.
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 16-02-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: fixed link

President Donald Trump's choice for national security adviser, retired Vice Admiral Robert Harward, has turned down the offer

Now as President, he hates leaks, says they are very unfair and rants that they are illegal.

Leaking classified information IS illegal. That's why Hillary's unsecured server was such a big deal and why Trump attacked it constantly.

Emails leaked during the election campaign were private, but none of it was classified. There's a pretty big difference, actually.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 16-02-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    I've been making a point of NOT getting directly involved in this thread but ...

In my opinion ... The press has been neither free or independent of a long time ... pretty much since the late 60s/early 70s

That goes both left and right depending on the issue. Opinion dominates, not facts. Stories that don't "fit the mold" don't get covered or if they do minimally. Examples are all over the place locally, Provincially, Nationally and Continent wide... look you'll find them. Then there is the real "fake NEWS" and "Uncovered NEWS". How the news is presented, eye rolls and all taints the picture and sends credibility messages and slants regularly. Again IMO. And why overseas sources and Reuters are now my fact sources.

In all of the above cases pick a controversial topic and google for yourselves you'll find it.

Then there is the self righteousness in this thread's conversation ... great, you're creating a Canadian Trump with the attitudes oft presented.
    I don't like Donald Trump as a person, never have and since long before his political aspirations.

I do not want a Canadian style Donald Trump in office. But the self righteous, "know betters" posting are the ones creating the Canadian Trump In My Opinion.

But read this article from "Cracked.com" a very progressive source and it will confirm exactly what happened in the USA and what you are creating here ... enjoy.

We all have our opinions of Trump - some of it is based on his style (which some like/others don't) and some of it is based on his ideas (which also some like/others don't). He seems to have a very confrontational approach to many things and his relationship with the press is one of those things.

Now, I am not an expert in media relations but I think a strategy of many people in politics is try to get along with the press in order to get more reasonable coverage - this sometimes, but not always works. Trump's approach seems to be to attack them and their credibility, which works to a point. Some of his supporters do seem to be more willing to ignore or dismiss negative coverage, even if it is factually accurate. However, most people get their information from some news source so it may not be a good idea in the end to go to war with the press and treat them like the enemy. People generally do not like being treated badly and journalists are no exception to this. If you are a wealthy business person it may not matter so much how well you treat people if you have enough money and power, but if you are in politics it does matter.

If you are running a political campaign you can say all kinds of outrageous things about your opponent and it may help you win, but after the election is over your job is to run the country well and ultimately you will be judged on how well you do that. Usually when people in political office start complaining about unfair press coverage, it is a sign the honeymoon is over and also a sign things are not going well.

If he wants to have a better relationship with the press, the first thing he should probably do is stop attacking them because they are not going away. People who are not thin skinned tend to do better in politics in the long term as they can accept legitimate criticism, learn from it, improve and not take it too personally. Those that are thin skinned might not like the message, but should at least try not to shoot the messenger. Short of censorship, the US President and the Government can not control the coverage he gets - I think that is what the press being free and independent is really about.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

If all we are getting is interviews that are a total waste of everyone's time, why are you enjoying them?

The press asking the same 3 stupid questions about Russia was what wasted all the time. That and that CNN doofus asking why they keep getting called fake news. The president wasn't the one who was wasting everyone's time. He at least made it entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    He must be getting a desperate now to bring up Hillary.
    No, he only brought it up to point out the hypocrisy of the media. They were constantly attacking him for having alleged "ties to Russia", and he merely asked why they were silent when Hillary sold 20% of US uranium to Russia, and why they demonize him for wanting to "get along" with Russia, when Hillary did the same thing.

And he is absolutely right.

Interesting graph on the republican/democratic divide. After reading the article cited it seems the U S A did not need a women to break the glass ceiling of the White House but a brick through the window. That description of the brick describes what transpired very well. It also paints a very bleak picture of just what happened over the years and neither the democrats or the republicans addressed it. Or just what happens to rural communities when they loose their sources of employment, be that a grain terminal or a oil refinery. Hopefully more bricks will go through windows if that's what it takes for people to take notice.
    As for Trump. He should back off and get to work. Quit micro-managing the press, have weekly, bi-weekly press conferences then let your staff handle the rest.
    As for Canada getting a Trump of our own. If you are referring to Kevin O'Leary, well he's not the brick I would have in mind. His over inflated ego will get him no where (even though Trump's did).
    Last edited by Gemini; 16-02-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Not only did he bring up Hillary, he boasts like an old soldier about battle long since won, each time the story getting bigger, trying to deflect his present demise.

His boasts about his largest electoral victory since Reagan is a complete fabrication. He lies through his teeth and goes on to lie every day.

I caught a tiny bit this afternoon of Trump spouting off and he said he had inherited a terrible terrible mess. Now, I'm pretty sure he meant the whole eight years of Obama's administration. Now, one has to ask oneself. Did Obama not inherit the same thing from Bushies.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

No, he only brought it up to point out the hypocrisy of the media. They were constantly attacking him for having alleged "ties to Russia", and he merely asked why they were silent when Hillary sold 20% of US uranium to Russia, and why they demonize him for wanting to "get along" with Russia, when Hillary did the same thing.

Hillary never sold any uranium to the Russians. Get your facts correct.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.035427058f9b

This issue was in the media including the Washington Post on Oct 26th 2016, well before the election. If you keep repeating Trumps distortions of the facts and lies, shame on you.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.” In this famous gaffe, Bush seemingly conflates a popular proverb (“Fool me once, shame on you.Jul 3, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I caught a tiny bit this afternoon of Trump spouting off and he said he had inherited a terrible terrible mess. Now, I'm pretty sure he meant the whole eight years of Obama's administration. Now, one has to ask oneself. Did Obama not inherit the same thing from Bushies.
    None of us are as stupid to believe that Trump has a bigger mess than Obama. The current economy is growing, consistent growth in the stock market only months after taking office, unemployment rates continue to drop and nearly every gage of the economy has been positive for years.

What would have Trump done if he had inherited the Bush mess?

Leaking classified information IS illegal. That's why Hillary's unsecured server was such a big deal and why Trump attacked it constantly.

Emails leaked during the election campaign were private, but none of it was classified. There's a pretty big difference, actually.
    All hacking is illegal but Trump was encouraging it, was he not?
    Trump Says He Was Sarcastic When He Prodded Russia To Hack Hillary Clinton’s Emails
    The Associated Press, Jul 28, 2016

Trump says the greatest thing he could do politically would be to shoot the Russian spy ship lingering off the U.S. coast – but says it would be 'not great' and warns a nuclear holocaust would be 'like no other'
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4Yu8SFaVX

Sounds really Presidential to me...

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 16-02-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Interesting graph on the republican/democratic divide. After reading the article cited it seems the U S A did not need a women to break the glass ceiling of the White House but a brick through the window. That description of the brick describes what transpired very well. It also paints a very bleak picture of just what happened over the years and neither the democrats or the republicans addressed it. Or just what happens to rural communities when they loose their sources of employment, be that a grain terminal or a oil refinery. Hopefully more bricks will go through windows if that's what it takes for people to take notice.
    As for Trump. He should back off and get to work. Quit micro-managing the press, have weekly, bi-weekly press conferences then let your staff handle the rest.
    As for Canada getting a Trump of our own. If you are referring to Kevin O'Leary, well he's not the brick I would have in mind. His over inflated ego will get him no where (even though Trump's did).
    Nice to see someone besides me actually read the article and appreciates what it means. Thanks Gemini. BTW nice to see you get it as well.

For decades in the United States the progressive, educated, urbanista, elitists and politicians in power have ignored most everything between the coasts and the plight of the people ... except of course to insult and berate them.

So each attack on Trump, each protest that goes violent and nasty reinforces how those ignored, insulted and berated masses feel, increases their support for the ONLY politician that has engaged them.

For those that haven't read the article ... you should. Then you will have an appreciation of why Trumps supporters voted the way they did and why they are ****** and getting angrier.

How angry ... should Trump be pushed out of office I expect the US to fall in violent conflict.

Here in Canada I see the exact same symptoms. The Maritimes, the Southern Ontario Industrial sector, most of the Prairies with a focus on rural as well as Central Northern BC east of the Coastal mountain range are all being treated like the American rust belt and mid west. The politicians, the Canadian equivalent of the progressives in the US, all those special interest advocates turn a blind eye to that mass of Canadian people. Everyone else comes first, just like in the US. If things continue as they are now ... Canada's Trump will show up.

While I tend to be Centrist with a slight right lean ... I don't want a Canadian Trump. Be it an O'Leary or any other.

But hey hold the current path ... you will get one.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 16-02-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixed link

(Since the Oilers appear to have tonight's game well in hand ...)

How angry ... should Trump be pushed out of office I expect the US to fall in violent conflict.

Be that as it may, should Trump retain power long enough for the conservative base to finally figure out that he's using them rather than "engaging" them, the act of losing office will be rather mundane. Timing is everything.

Regardless, to support an utter lack of integrity because one finally hears their thoughts echoed from the top is no excuse. Red "America" could do no better than to start a search for their next saviour now. Perhaps a non-sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post

Be that as it may, should Trump retain power long enough for the conservative base to finally figure out that he's using them rather than "engaging" them, the act of losing office will be rather mundane. Timing is everything.

Regardless, to support an utter lack of integrity because one finally hears their thoughts echoed from the top is no excuse. Red "America" could do no better than to start a search for their next saviour now. Perhaps a non-sociopath.
    I get the impression from you post you did not read the cracked.com article, if I'm wrong I apologize. Be that as it may ...

Right now we do not know if Trump will be successful or not, but rather than having a temper tantrum that all too often ends up in protests that become violent the progressive US base should be trying to learn from how the election went and how they can reverse the process.

More important to me than the US problems are those right here in Canada ... the same symptoms that caused Trump in the US are right here in Canada and getting worse.

You think WE would be smart enough to learn from the US problems, not repeat the process. From what I see on this thread I worry we are not.

IMO

I get the impression from you post you did not read the cracked.com article, if I'm wrong I apologize. Be that as it may ...

Right now we do not know if Trump will be successful or not, but rather than having a temper tantrum that all too often ends up in protests that become violent the progressive US base should be trying to learn from how the election went and how they can reverse the process.

More important to me than the US problems are those right here in Canada ... the same symptoms that caused Trump in the US are right here in Canada and getting worse.

You think WE would be smart enough to learn from the US problems, not repeat the process. From what I see on this thread I worry we are not.

IMO
    Apology accepted.

While I can somewhat understand your reasoning, I suggest that whatever we could benefit from learning is ultimately limited by what can be realistically done. Keeping in mind that seeking a Trump-like figure in Canada would be no more of a solution to an endemic conservative perception than it will be in the U.S., the saving grace is, I think, that such a singularly corrupt leadership will not sustain its fervently-vocal support. (Dear god, please let me be right.)

So, I'm not sure which is easier or more likely: a reduction in ignorance (yes, on both sides) or an ability to reduce the apparent symptoms. Both are beneficial but, to the conservative element, I suggest any feasible solutions would include aspects they would otherwise disparage (e.g. socialist-like policies). Be that as it may.

Damn straight he was right!how about when he mentioned Hillary getting the debate questions.Why didn't she say no!!??Hardly anything said!..the media is being questioned,and I'm glad!

Amazing how before the election, Trump loved leaks and encouraged more leaks to come from Russia and Wiki leaks.

Podesta's emails weren't classified!

Podesta's emails weren't classified!
    Yeah, it's interesting that any issue can be called a national security issue, like a single conversation between a pending government employee possibly talking possibly very generally about trade sanctions with a foreign ambassador, seems to far out rank the fundamental privacy of a core democratic institution (the political party).

Damn straight he was right!how about when he mentioned Hillary getting the debate questions.Why didn't she say no!!??Hardly anything said!..the media is being questioned,and I'm glad!
    Not just Hillary getting questions. The DNC heads undermining their own democratic principles by undermining Sanders. The media hardly covered any of this. I think because Trump always managed to upstage them in shock news. So that's the irony. Trump got all the news coverage because of his antics and now he's saying that the media didn't spend enough time going after Clinton. Trump was the guy people followed. Can't sell newspapers focusing on the boring stuff when the competition is getting the money making Trump highlights every day.

People seem not to realize that the US media is privately owned and the MSM media is THE MSM because it has had a great business model. Media is business and Trump knows that and plays it that way.

Trump also uses his twit's to bypass all media to spread his talking points / sound bites without any critical eyes filtering and reframing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post

IMO

In the US election, didn't most Republicans vote for Trump and most Democrats vote for Clinton? I'm of the impression that no matter who the candidates were, in the end, 90+%* of party followers voted according to their predetermined party affiliations - as they always have.

So as always, the actually deciding voters, the swing voters, were a relatively small proportion of the population.

* a number I picked out of the air

NOV 17, 2016
    The Non-Voters Who Decided The Election: Trump Won Because Of Lower Democratic Turnout
    Omri Ben-Shahar

It is of course true that in some areas, like Pennsylvania, Trump’s gains over Romney were more impressive than Clinton’s loss of Obama voters. So the story of an energized GOP working class base is not a total fantasy. But whatever Trump successfully stirred among GOP voters was not enough to win the election. Trump won despite being flawed in many ways, because Hillary Clinton was deemed even more flawed by her own base.

The Clinton camp is going to deny the charge that Trump won because Clinton failed to bring out the vote. They would point to the large, unprecedented, 1.3 million margin of victory that Clinton enjoyed in the popular vote. The problem with this popular vote margin is that ...

Think back to the weeks leading to the elections. There was a shared sense that the Republican party was losing and even disintegrating because it was unable to clamp down on a renegade candidate, having allowed populism to prevail in the primaries. The Democratic party, by contrast, was thought to be on the verge of victory and even a sweep of the Senate because it was cold calculated, using its ironfisted internal machination to discard the populist candidate and to present the then-thought more “electable” Clinton. How wrong that perception turned out to be!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/omribens.../#101f40fd40a1
    Last edited by KC; 17-02-2017 at 01:21 AM.

So the guy picked to replace Mike Flynn "declines" (with a ten foot pole.)

Have to believe that's going to be net positive for his career.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Having read through the posts I think hello lady and myself were the only two that watched the press conference from start to finish, the rest were working. By taking bits of sentences, words from here and there or sentences from here and there without the previous or the sentence after the press has twisted things around to make things sound the way they like it. I knew that would happen. If you watched word for word the entire press conference you would know what I mean. Trump was exactly right when he said that would happen. I was watching on CBC Newsworld and the fat ugly pig that came on right after did exactly that. I had to laugh and switch the channel. CBC is one of the worst for doing this too. I think no one should be allowed to comment unless they watched the entire press conference, every word. To do otherwise is only commenting on the medias spin not on the conference itself. I'm not a huge fan of Trump myself but by sitting in front of the tv most of the day these were my observations.

Fat ugly pig?

Haha. Ya a real made for public television beauty.

You are made for a shallow person who judges people by their appearance and cannot deal with the substance of their comments without reverting to their weight and looks and comparing them to farm animals.

You are an ugly Canadian. Ugly in ideas and character.

Thank you Sir or Madame. I'll be 62 in three months. It took a long time to perfect my attitude.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-02-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Donald Trump yesterday told the assembled press that his regime is “running like a well-oiled machine,” that may be true, but after four-weeks in office it already looks like a machine whose wheels have come off.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/3988891/new...have-come-off/
    Donald Trump is falling way behind schedule in executive branch appointments
    He’s losing nominees faster than he’s designating new ones.
    http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...minations-pace

Trump Is Appallingly Behind in Making Most Key Appointments
    The incoming executive branch has only filled 28 of 690 positions requiring Senate approval.
    By Kali Holloway / AlterNet January 19, 2017

Bloomberg columnist Jonathan Bernstein notes:
    There's no Trump appointee for any of the top State Department jobs below secretary nominee Rex Tillerson. No Trump appointee for any of the top Department of Defense jobs below retired general James Mattis. Treasury? Same story. Justice? It is one of two departments (along with, bizarrely, Commerce) where Trump has selected a deputy secretary. But no solicitor general, no one at civil rights, no one in the civil division, no one for the national security division...Overall, out of 690 positions requiring Senate confirmation tracked by the Washington Post and Partnership for Public Service, Trump has come up with only 28 people so far.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 17-02-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Just more MSM tripe. I think I'll start to ignore it. It's very tiring. Time to switch to old movies on Netflix I think.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.

So are you saying that MSM is not accurate about the slow pace of Trump's appointments?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Thank you Sir or Madame. I'll be 62 in three months. It took a long time to perfect my attitude.

sigh...
    facepalm...

So are you saying that MSM is not accurate about the slow pace of Trump's appointments?
    I hadn't realized there was a timeline. Haste makes waste. He's bucking a lot of headwinds too don't forget. Everything is tougher for him to get done and run through the gauntlet.

Important government functions run by appointees who need time to get approved and oriented in their new positions remain vacant.

I hadn't realized there was a timeline. Haste makes waste. He's bucking a lot of headwinds too don't forget. Everything is tougher for him to get done and run through the gauntlet.
    He's supposed to be the man of action

and swamp draining...

Might be a sign of health related issues. Dementia possibly. It creeps up on people.

Contrary to Trump's assertions that he inherited a huge mess from Obama and that Jobs are fleeing the country...

BTW, is Trump now getting his brands made in the US?

Bangladesh

Mexico

Jhina

Might be a sign of health related issues. Dementia possibly. It creeps up on people.
    Or syphilis.

Trump owned the media again yesterday love it . Jake Tapper was almost in tears after . "Trump I am changing it from fake news to very fake news " This guy is a genius calls out the Russian bs the tender snowflakes were pushing . He plays them like a fiddle exposed them all for what they are.
    Last edited by buildthemhigh; 17-02-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Wikileaks... Interesting. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend, ... even if my enemy is a fellow citizen and this enemy of my domestic enemy that is now my friend, may have "blood on his hands" for the actual deaths of other citizens and fryiends of my country. In other words, yeah too bad about those deaths but this is about politics and my personal pursuit of power.

Key Trump surrogates once led fight vs. WikiLeaks and Assange

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/key-trum...s-and-assange/

Contrary to Trump's assertions that he inherited a huge mess from Obama and that Jobs are fleeing the country...

BTW, is Trump now getting his brands made in the US?

Bangladesh

Mexico

Jhina
    once again PRT who claims to own a business has no idea what licensing brands are about . I call bs on your business or you're just simply the most uneducated business owner around.

Quote Originally Posted by buildthemhigh View Post
    Trump owned the media again yesterday love it . Jake Tapper was almost in tears after . "Trump I am changing it form fake news to very fake news " This guy is a genius calls out the Russian bs the tender snowflakes were pushing . He plays them like a fiddle exposed them all for what they are.
    nice fake news. Calling people snowflakes is pretty low, and shows you don't have much substance, and are basically trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Trump owned the media again yesterday love it . Jake Tapper was almost in tears after . "Trump I am changing it form fake news to very fake news " This guy is a genius calls out the Russian bs the tender snowflakes were pushing . He plays them like a fiddle exposed them all for what they are.
    nice fake news. Calling people snowflakes is pretty low, and shows you don't have much substance, and are basically trolling.
    They are snowflakes whiny *** child like infants in adult bodies . They have been coddled at birth to think they're victims suppressing man kind so they can virtue signal to themselves morality all the while pushing disgusting agenda on others, Yea snowflakes .

once again PRT who claims to own a business has no idea what licensing brands are about . I call bs on your business or you're just simply the most uneducated business owner around.

You are so far off the mark that I laugh in your face. My huge royalty cheques from my licenced trademarks prove you wrong.

Also you poor victim liberal snowflake why are you not calling out the Trump trolls you know the children in here acting like middle school clicks picking on anyone not a snowflake . F -off world is getting sick of these non productive virtue idiots .

Wikileaks... Interesting. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend, ... even if my enemy is a fellow citizen and this enemy of my domestic enemy that is now my friend, may have "blood on his hands" for the actual deaths of other citizens and fryiends of my country. In other words, yeah too bad about those deaths but this is about politics and my personal pursuit of power.

Key Trump surrogates once led fight vs. WikiLeaks and Assange

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/key-trum...s-and-assange/

“They gave me one of the most closely guarded secrets in intelligence,” she said in an telephone interview. “People are speculating why someone trusted me with that. Nobody met me in a darkened alley in a fedora, but they saw in me as someone who has political experience and is their friend. I am a pro-national security partisan. I don’t have divided loyalties.

Mensch said she gained her reputation among intelligence professionals on both sides of the Atlantic as a result of her furious criticism of the Guardian’s handling of the NSA files leaked by Snowden when he walked out his NSA job in Hawaii and fled to Hong Kong.

The files included large amounts of information about the UK electronic surveillance agency, GCHQ, and Mensch argued that moving the files around the world constituted trafficking in stolen state secrets that put the lives of British intelligence officials at risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...es-media-scoop
    Bolding is mine
    Last edited by KC; 17-02-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Or syphilis.
    Or maybe just overly honest. I know you guys thoughts when you see our deputy prem. and health minister on tv. You just don't say anything. I just make the mistake of not hiding my thoughts. Lol

Oh oh. That darn syphlis infected dimentia brain is really causing me problems now.

You are so far off the mark that I laugh in your face. My huge royalty cheques from my licenced trademarks prove you wrong.
    Sure man seems legit with your not knowing what licensing is sure man . How many employees in your imaginary company ?

Buildthemhigh you are pulling me further and further to the right. Thanks. Thanks for your insight.

The troll game is strong, the facts are alternative, and just wow. I'm sorry I even waded into this thread.

Or syphilis.
    Or maybe just overly honest. I know you guys thoughts when you see our deputy prem. and health minister on tv. You just don't say anything. I just make the mistake of not hiding my thoughts. Lol
    It's just funny that in a long paragraph about the media not reporting objectively you throw in an observation about a reporter's looks, or lack of sexual attractiveness to you. I do love the irony and hypocrisy.

Do you drink a lot? If not syphilis there's always alcoholism.

Also, you're in your sixties, and I'm sure your parents, especially those of older generations would very likely have set some minimal standards for you. Though it appears you posted that in the middle of the night, so objectivity can suffer and emotions and subjectivity can rise with a lack of sleep I suppose.

The posts in question:
    Having read through the posts I think hello lady and myself were the only two that watched the press conference from start to finish, the rest were working. By taking bits of sentences, words from here and there or sentences from here and there without the previous or the sentence after the press has twisted things around to make things sound the way they like it. I knew that would happen. If you watched word for word the entire press conference you would know what I mean. Trump was exactly right when he said that would happen. I was watching on CBC Newsworld and the fat ugly pig that came on right after did exactly that. I had to laugh and switch the channel. CBC is one of the worst for doing this too. I think no one should be allowed to comment unless they watched the entire press conference, every word. To do otherwise is only commenting on the medias spin not on the conference itself. I'm not a huge fan of Trump myself but by sitting in front of the tv most of the day these were my observations.
    Fat ugly pig?

Haha. Ya a real made for public television beauty.

Bolding was mine.
    Last edited by KC; 17-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Buildthemhigh you are pulling me further and further to the right. Thanks. Thanks for your insight.
    I was a independant before US election the hypocrisy by these snowflakes pushed me to the right and this is going on all around the world, people are sick of these non moral SJW trying to tell the people with good hearts they are evil or fascist or racist if they don't agree with their insanity. And just read the 1st Trump thread in here to now to see how insane they are.

It's the long hours sitting in a cubicle that does it to them I think.

Oh oh. That darn syphlis infected dimentia brain is really causing me problems now.
    Ya never know. You can tell from my posts that I have a hard time staying objective and and focused while trying to evaluate the facts and weed out the commentary based on people's desire for some sort of sexual or other stimulating satisfaction in watching TV news and news makers.

I was a independant before US election the hypocrisy by these snowflakes pushed me to the right and this is going on all around the world, people are sick of these non moral SJW trying to tell the people with good hearts they are evil or fascist or racist if they don't agree with their insanity. And just read the 1st Trump thread in here to now to see how insane they are.
    Again, you talk like an American citizen. Are you American, maybe a holder of dual citizenship?

As for evil, I think you've called more people evil than anyone else. You've tried to lump more posters in with a negative characterization than most other posters. To me, that hostility seems very unkind at its heart. Most people are just trying to get through life without hurting anyone else and just trying to be happy while getting things done that they are asked or told to get done.

I think you may be one of those: " if you're no for me then you're against me" thinkers.
    Last edited by KC; 17-02-2017 at 09:57 AM.

I guess every 45-50 years countries like the U S seem to go through some metamorphosis of substantive change. I don't see Trump being the change of the late sixties or early seventies though. That was a time of great change. War demonstrations, race riots, social change etc. Seemed more going on in that era. It also seemed more people back in the day were on board. I guess even the music played a part in it. I watched a show about the songs of that era. Dylan, Joan Baez, Scott McKenzie. A whole slew of music recorded in that era just matched the times and from what I have heard I guess you had to live through it to understand it. What's Trump's soundtrack?. White noise.

It's the long hours sitting in a cubicle that does it to them I think.
    Well look at this the very 1st positive thing CNN crumbling news network has said about Trump since nov 8 . Amazing maybe after his press conference yesterday CNN did some self reflecting https://twitter.com/CNN/status/832618111895433217

By taking bits of sentences, words from here and there or sentences from here and there without the previous or the sentence after the press has twisted things around to make things sound the way they like it.
    Yup. There is massive publication bias in the news. They only report "facts" by selective quoting without context in order to frame the discussion the way they want to.

My own kids and their friends are starting to see it too. Today the news is attacking PewDiePie (the world's #1 most-watched YouTube "celebrity" by FAR), accusing him of being racist. The news is digging their own grave by losing credibility with the public, and they seem to be completely oblivious to it.

if you don't believe me, tell any teen or pre-teen kid you know that the news told you that PewDiePie is racist, and watch them react.

^the constant stream of negative fake news from CNN since Trump won is hurting them in the ratings. Americans are switching off. It used to be that CNN was center left, and Fox was center right. Now, CNN is liberal elite left, and Fox is center.

The cable channel, started by Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes more than 20 years ago, is now first among all cable news channels. Lately, the channel has won so many viewers that it rates as a top all-around cable channel.

But these latest ratings are bananas—even for Fox.

The numbers show that Fox's primetime ratings are better than the ratings for all three of its competitors—CNN, MSNBC and HLN combined.
    http://ijr.com/2016/12/749732-we-kne...re-ridiculous/
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.

I ask you, what bias?

I watched the entire news conference.

There was no edits or omissions.

I was able to make my own judgements based upon what Trump said and how he acted. In fact, millions of people could do the exact same thing.

Tell me where the bias is on this unfiltered news conference?

The troll game is strong, the facts are alternative, and just wow. I'm sorry I even waded into this thread.
    Yeah, this is pretty much the worst thread on the forum & given how far this site has fallen over the years that's really saying something. The cognitive dissonance here makes the "Downtown Uber Alles" contingent in the Development subforums look relatively sane in comparison. That being said, it's been great to pad out my ignore list.

I ask you, what bias?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini

Trump hasn't inherited a mess. He's inherited an economy that's been steadily growing for years. Obama on the other hand inherited an economy and financial system that was literally in the process of completely melting down. Wee bit of a difference, although some of the issues in relation to the financial system continue to persist.

Something about US Politics discussion in particular that seems to lead to the kinds of comments found in this thread. But its not isolated either and both sides doing it. Are we really so invested in US Politics to insult each other as users of C2E?

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Yeah, this is pretty much the worst thread on the forum & given how far this site has fallen over the years that's really saying something. The cognitive dissonance here makes the "Downtown Uber Alles" contingent in the Development subforums look relatively sane in comparison. That being said, it's been great to pad out my ignore list.
    Noodle I know that you have driven people right out of here all by yourself so get down off your high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Something about US Politics discussion in particular that seems to lead to the kinds of comments found in this thread. But its not isolated either and both sides doing it. Are we really so invested in US Politics to insult each other as users of C2E?
    It's called CHAOS. The Trump factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini

Trump hasn't inherited a mess. He's inherited an economy that's been steadily growing for years. Obama on the other hand inherited an economy and financial system that was literally in the process of completely melting down. Wee bit of a difference, although some of the issues in relation to the financial system continue to persist.
    It depends which part of the US you are referring too. Yeah, things were going good for the IT hipsters in California under Obama, but not in the mid-west where things were literally melting down (much like our coal towns will soon melt down).

Richelle Kirk of Logan, West Virginia, watched some of Trump’s news conference on Thursday and didn’t see any head-scratching comments from the president.

“I back him 100 per cent,” said the 42-year-old stay-at-home mom. “You either love it or get out, is my opinion.”

During Barack Obama’s presidency, her husband was laid off from his coal-mining job, a loss they blamed on Obama’s environmental policies. She said they lost a home and “everything we owned.”

After West Virginia voters resoundingly rejected Obama during his 2012 re-election, “we didn’t show our hind ends when Obama was re-elected,” Kirk said. So she believes people shouldn’t overreact to Trump, either.

She particularly agreed with the president when he took credit for an optimistic business climate and a rising stock market, saying Trump is beginning to fulfil his campaign promise to put people back to work.

Reporters, she said, “need to leave him alone. He’s just doing what he said he’s going to do.”
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34065512/
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-02-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Yeah, there's no news media bias. It's all imaginary. I mean, take a look at what MSNBC chose to report on:

Noodle I know that you have driven people right out of here all by yourself so get down off your high horse.
    Awesome! Like who? Who've I managed to get to stop posting? I take every person that ignores me or stops their terrible posting as a result of my posts as a badge of honour.
    Last edited by noodle; 17-02-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Accidentaly a word.

^^its bizarre. I mean, why are people running stories on anti-Semitism (which MSNBC is )? The guy has a Jewish son in law as one of his key advisors. Its switching Americans off, they don't want to here this crap every day, they are tuning into Fox News in droves.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast