Thread: Need a recommendation for mouse exterminator

Default Need a recommendation for mouse exterminator

Found mouse dropping in my garage. I need a recommendation for a mouse exterminator. Thx.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Is it an attached or detached garage? If detached simply get rid of any food source in the garage. Store any seeds, including lawn seed in plastic enclosed containers. Problem solved. If attached garage take all foodstuffs out of cupboard, clean and wash all food storing cupboards and place food in always closed plastic container, leave no bread, bread crumbs lying around, keep all counters always clean and do dishes promptly. Do this for two weeks and problem solved.

This will work better than extermination. Mice don't exist inside without an attracting and available food source. Especially in the winter eliminating any potential food source in house, garage, shed, will kill them. Keep in mind a compost heap often nourishes mice and if you have one its probably where they are coming from.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Thanks for the advice! It is an attached garage. Looks like a lot of grass seed was spilled on the floor. I do have some water in bottles but they are wrapped in plastic. I really have to clean up the clutter in my garage and basement then see what happens. I found a dead mouse once in the basement last year but the basement has no food except some rice bags sealed in plastic which were undisturbed. My mouse traps were untouched in the basement too.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eminent View Post
    Thanks for the advice! It is an attached garage. Looks like a lot of grass seed was spilled on the floor. I do have some water in bottles but they are wrapped in plastic. I really have to clean up the clutter in my garage and basement then see what happens. I found a dead mouse once in the basement last year but the basement has no food except some rice bags sealed in plastic which were undisturbed. My mouse traps were untouched in the basement too.
    Yep. Grass seed and other gardening seeds is a major culprit for attracting rodents in any garage. People don't think of this as a food source but the mice do. Squirrels as well. Good luck.

As far as staples like rice, pasta, flour, etc I store all those in plastic bins. Not only does it safeguard it from pests it keeps it fresher. Also just more organized. Keeping in the habit of having all foods stored in bins is just good practice. btw mice can get into any bags and boxes of food. They have no problem doing this. Bags and packaged boxes are totally assessable to them. Only sealed plastic bins keep them out.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Yes, I kind of instinctively know not to keep any food stored where I don't access it often. Never thought about the grass seeds. I quickly took my last bag out of the garage.

So if I have no food in the unwatched areas I am ok?

Good idea, as a precaution, I shall buy some medium sized plastic bins to keep more organized and not have bags of rice and other things lying in the pantry. Where is the cheapest place to buy these?

I hope mice don't make a home under my deck

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes, I kind of instinctively know not to keep any food stored where I don't access it often. Never thought about the grass seeds. I quickly took my last bag out of the garage.

So if I have no food in the unwatched areas I am ok?

Good idea, as a precaution, I shall buy some medium sized plastic bins to keep more organized and not have bags of rice and other things lying in the pantry. Where is the cheapest place to buy these?

I hope mice don't make a home under my deck
    Canadian Tire has a good stock of bins of all sizes and often have these on sale. Ikea is another definite place to check out for these and all other bins and organizers of all sizes, types. Like I said just makes life easier having these. I have lots of storage spaces in kitchen, storage room where its just easier to move a whole bin out and see whats in there than to try to grab a can or package of something from the very back(where what I want is murphys law always located). It cuts your searching for things time in half. Always use CLEAR bins so you see what you have in there.

heh, I'm a bit older and it took me decades to learn the benefits of organizing. Its money well spent in the time and effort it saves.

Put out some mouse traps, in the garage and some in the house just in case.

Clean and spray the floor along the walls to erase their sent trails. Maybe use bleach.

On my garage they chewed a nice round hold right through the exterior rubber weatherstrip, so all I did was glued and/or screwed some small pieces of metal at the base to prevent them from getting in again.

Depending on the snow cover, ground cover, etc. mice will build under decks. (Our deck prevents much snow from getting under it and I have the ground covered in pea gravel so I doubt they like it under there much in the winter.) Nonetheless, my wife wants me to move our bird feeders away from our house and deck this year because we saw a mouse feeding on the bird seed that fell on the ground. I think it's fine and we have lots of birds right out the window - just don't leave the door open. I could use some screen under the feeder I suppose to minimize the amt birds send to the ground.

http://www.uniquebirdhouseboutique.c...birdseed-tray/
    Last edited by KC; 06-11-2016 at 01:30 PM.

I put some mouse traps in the garage already. My garage door doesn't close exactly flush so maybe that's how they got in. No idea how they got in to the basement though.

I put some mouse traps in the garage already. My garage door doesn't close exactly flush so maybe that's how they got in. No idea how they got in to the basement though.
    Better look for a crack, separation, gap, poor weather stripping around the door into the house.

Our family has a cabin, made of wood (wood floors, wood walls, wood siding, wooden doors) that is surrounded by grass, bush, fields and forest. Over half a century without, to my knowledge, a mouse ever getting inside. (Knock on wood.) All the doors have tight fits, we were never allowed to prop open the doors, and we never left unsealed food in the place.
    Last edited by KC; 06-11-2016 at 02:00 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

I put traps around the gaRbage outside and catch mice regularly. This is a bad year for mice. I also made a water trap for them. Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6xwUSkT1k
    make America GREAT TRUMP!