Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 122 kmh In a school zone will get you 7 days

  1. #1
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where ever Visa is accepted
    Posts
    4,360

    Default 122 kmh In a school zone will get you 7 days

    An Edmonton man clocked doing 122 km/h in a school zone was sentenced to seven days in jail on Tuesday.
    Provincial court Judge Elizabeth Johnson rejected a defence pitch for a conditional discharge, saying it would not be in the public interest and such dangerous behaviour must be deterred.

    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/seven-days-in-jail-for-man-clocked-at-122-kmh-in-school-zone
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

  2. #2

    Default

    ^I hate school and playground zones, but that's not an excuse to drive at 122 km/hr I guess.

  3. #3

    Default

    Even if there was no playground/school zones, the speed limit would be 50. that's 72 km/h above 50 km/h.

    7 days in jail. Should be lucky he didn't kill anyone. From the article it took him 54 attempts to get his drivers licence? Maybe this guy should just take transit or ride a bike.

  4. #4
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton (Norwood)
    Posts
    4,276

    Default

    ^ 54 tries to get his learner's license! He blamed test anxiety, but if he was so anxious he blanked out on a simple written exam I don't know how he could possibly have avoided having a massive panic attack in the far more stressful situation of sitting behind the wheel next to an examiner.

    It does seem an odd place for a school zone. The school is located 100 m north of 95 Av, with only a fenced, empty field between the school and 95 Av. Just north of the school there is an unfenced playground, and the school zone ends right beside the playground. I would think that the school zone should either apply to the entire block around the school (95 Av, 97 Av, 152 St and 153 St), or only to 152 St and 152 St within 50 m of the school entrances.

    No doubt this deserved a stiff punishment, school zone or no school zone, but I would rather have seen a big fine (in the $5,000 to $50,000 range, depending on the income and assets of the offender) instead of jail time.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    An Edmonton man clocked doing 122 km/h in a school zone was sentenced to seven days in jail on Tuesday.
    Provincial court Judge Elizabeth Johnson rejected a defence pitch for a conditional discharge, saying it would not be in the public interest and such dangerous behaviour must be deterred.

    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/seven-days-in-jail-for-man-clocked-at-122-kmh-in-school-zone
    "going 122 km/h when he swerved into the oncoming traffic lane to go around a car that was turning in front of him and then 119 km/h when he returned to his lane."

    Above source, same link in quote

    People will embrace self-driving vehicles!

  6. #6

    Default

    Egads what a creep. I wish the courts could give him half of the prison time he would have incurred killing someone.

    What's the difference? Same mistake exactly.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  7. #7
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    8,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ 54 tries to get his learner's license! He blamed test anxiety, but if he was so anxious he blanked out on a simple written exam I don't know how he could possibly have avoided having a massive panic attack in the far more stressful situation of sitting behind the wheel next to an examiner.

    It does seem an odd place for a school zone. The school is located 100 m north of 95 Av, with only a fenced, empty field between the school and 95 Av. Just north of the school there is an unfenced playground, and the school zone ends right beside the playground. I would think that the school zone should either apply to the entire block around the school (95 Av, 97 Av, 152 St and 153 St), or only to 152 St and 152 St within 50 m of the school entrances.

    No doubt this deserved a stiff punishment, school zone or no school zone, but I would rather have seen a big fine (in the $5,000 to $50,000 range, depending on the income and assets of the offender) instead of jail time.
    I flagged the same thing. Is it possible, or even likely, that 54 tries to pass a learners licence is pretty good indication of mentally insufficient ability to have one.

    I would agree jail time is not the right answer to everything. What I would sentence instead is required psych assessment, functioning assessment and with results pursuant to future ability to have a driving licence. Plus considerable fine and confiscation of vehicle. Arguably a 26yr old adult displaying this kind of driving disposition is not fit to possess a vehicle until further notice. He should be prohibited from having one licenced, or in his possession.

    One has to wonder if such a seemingly impaired individual would obtain a licence decades ago when Registration, testing, licensing was govt operated.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-11-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  8. #8
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    8,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Even if there was no playground/school zones, the speed limit would be 50. that's 72 km/h above 50 km/h.

    7 days in jail. Should be lucky he didn't kill anyone. From the article it took him 54 attempts to get his drivers licence? Maybe this guy should just take transit or ride a bike.
    A tricycle..or bike with training wheels and immobilizer..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •