Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2017 Concerts

I'd rather C2E than work!

Pemberton had 180,000 attendance last year. Must be 100 bands. Google image and wiki pemberton festival and be amazed. Yes, wish we did have something like this here. And no, big valley is nothing like it. Big valley is a party tho.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 11-05-2017 at 11:06 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That 180k figure is a bit deceiving, as they're counting people each day. But yes, Pemberton is a pretty good festival. I was also lucky enough to attend the first one, which also had a phenomenal lineup (although a lot of overlap with the Sasquatch 2006 festival I was at a couple years before): http://www.songkick.com/festivals/53...-festival-2008

They definitely experienced some growing pains, and I think they didn't even have it again for 3-4 years after the first one while they worked out the concerns (Pemberton has some of the most fertile farmland in the world, apparently).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pemberton is something that I've wanted to go to but not exactly a convenient location. Around a 14hr drive. Then if you don't get a tenting spot you have to go all the way to Whistler or Vancouver for accommodation. Maybe I'm getting old but it seemed more work than pleasure. More rules too. Beautiful area though. But I would feel sort of bad being one of thousands tramping around in a pretty pristine location. What I love about the area though is it is so down to Earth, so Natural albeit that said I haven't been there for decades.

Unrelated but I think the vibe of a festival has something to do with its location, charm, beauty, transcendence and that it helps keep people in numbers on a good path. A tarmac is no place to put these huge crowded festivals. Crowding naturally stresses people. Should be on beautiful earth to keep the calm. People enjoy that a lot more. Reference to a couple of the Sonic Booms and one of the Woodstock reincarnations.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    What I love about the area though is it is so down to Earth, so Natural albeit that said I haven't been there for decades.

Heh, "so natural" is not what I think of when I drive from Vancouver to Whistler or Pemberton, now. If you haven't been there for decades, you'll be shocked at how much development there is when you do. There's some nice stretches between Squamish and Whistler, and certainly North past Whistler. But the area's about as "natural" as the Canmore/Banff corridor is.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My contacts in the music business here say that a replacement for Sonic Boom is in the early stages for next year.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    What I love about the area though is it is so down to Earth, so Natural albeit that said I haven't been there for decades.

Heh, "so natural" is not what I think of when I drive from Vancouver to Whistler or Pemberton, now. If you haven't been there for decades, you'll be shocked at how much development there is when you do. There's some nice stretches between Squamish and Whistler, and certainly North past Whistler. But the area's about as "natural" as the Canmore/Banff corridor is.
    Yeah, in more recent times I've only been out as far as Squamish and just past Whistler. So that's why I qualified my nostalgic statement. The area was beautiful and unspoiled. But you're right, would probably be kind of depressing for me to look at it all now. I remember Pemberton being a sleepy west coast kind of hippy town. Development fairly contiguous all the way out to Pemberton now? Yikes. That would remind me of going to Hawaii and seeing less and less undeveloped coastline and beaches.

Thanks for the correction.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, there isn't "contiguous" development all along the highway. Hence why I said that there's some "nice stretches" still. I just mean that Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton have grown and expanded massively in the past 20 years.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Sorry, I used the wrong word. More intermittent development then. What do all those people do past Whistler? Still commute for jobs? Just with a quick look those Real Estate prices sure aren't inflated for Fishing or Lumber industry. Seems just like the whole escalation of pricing in the Lower mainland and sea to sky area.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    My contacts in the music business here say that a replacement for Sonic Boom is in the early stages for next year.
    Excellent news

Also, Pemberton is cancelled and the company putting it on is bankrupt. http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...stee-appointed

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's terrible news. Squamish also down. Looks like very few options for big festivals in WC.

This Ontario Way home festival is offering free admission to pemberton ticket holders. Pretty decent of them to do this.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/ontario-festiva...ders-1.3421452

some of the same acts seem to be playing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    That's terrible news. Squamish also down. Looks like very few options for big festivals in WC.

This Ontario Way home festival is offering free admission to pemberton ticket holders. Pretty decent of them to do this.

They're offering tickets because their sales are also lacking. This way they'll at least get food & beer sales. Not a banner year for Canadian festivals.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

They're offering tickets because their sales are also lacking. This way they'll at least get food & beer sales. Not a banner year for Canadian festivals.
    Maybe just me but the lineup didn't look that stellar for a major festival. Could also be why it had trouble selling tickets.

I'm liking the lineup at Montreal Jazz festival. They get some really great acts in there. Would be a good year to check it out with other festivals being slim pickings;

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/en-C...ation/Artistes

Prices are steep though. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of deep pockets in Montreal. A lot of these acts are 100bucks a ticket.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-05-2017 at 08:21 PM.

They definitely watered it down this year.

C2E Continued Contributor

Don't know if JayBee is still alive but...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...515/story.html

There are various reasons for big acts to skip Cowtown, but the main culprit is generally the constraints of the Saddledome. In particular, the technical demands of blockbuster rock concerts increasingly exceed what the Dome’s 1983 roof can handle.
    and

For most concerts, when issues of egress, sightlines and stage placement are dealt with, McMahon’s capacity can shrink to considerably less than 30,000, he said.
    “You can put twice as many in Edmonton and you do the same amount of setup,” he said.

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

a 90s Cancon fan's dream!

Also, OLP is opening for GnR at Commonwealth.

That's a decent lineup. Much better than the typical local dj's and garage bands. I'm jealous though, Halifax gets free deadmau5 for Canada Day.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power

a 90s Cancon fan's dream!

Also, OLP is opening for GnR at Commonwealth.
    They are? Hmmm......bizarre - I'd figure Gn'R has enough good time buddy - old Whiskey a Go Go 80's hair bands that would jump at the chance to revive their old library....ie, Ratt, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns, Warrant, Cinderalla etc......

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    That's a decent lineup. Much better than the typical local dj's and garage bands. I'm jealous though, Halifax gets free deadmau5 for Canada Day.
    We have Sarah McLachlan at Rogers on Canada Day. I'd take that anytime over 2nd rate derivative deadmau5.

Nice lineup for Taste of Edmonton.

We have Sarah McLachlan at Rogers on Canada Day. I'd take that anytime over 2nd rate derivative deadmau5.

Each to their own. deadmau5 is definitely not 2nd rate. I'm not even sure what metric you'd use to gauge that? Fans? He obliterates her in social media. Sales? Electronic doesn't sell records, they sell shows, and his net worth is quite a bit higher. Considering her career started 20 years earlier, she hasn't achieved a fraction of what he has in terms of defining a genre and amassing fans.

She's great, this isn't slander on Sarah in the least, but to call Joel 2nd rate is pure salt on your part. You don't have to like him or electronic music, but recognize the contribution.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

That sounds like a depressing Canada Day at Rogers Place.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    That sounds like a depressing Canada Day at Rogers Place.
    And, unlike deadmau5 in Halifax, you have to pay for that sadness. Halifax will be the best party in Canada on July 1st. I hope the city is prepared.

God, she's so depressing. Good luck with that! Ugh..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Each to their own. deadmau5 is definitely not 2nd rate. I'm not even sure what metric you'd use to gauge that? Fans? He obliterates her in social media. Sales? Electronic doesn't sell records, they sell shows, and his net worth is quite a bit higher. Considering her career started 20 years earlier, she hasn't achieved a fraction of what he has in terms of defining a genre and amassing fans.

She's great, this isn't slander on Sarah in the least, but to call Joel 2nd rate is pure salt on your part. You don't have to like him or electronic music, but recognize the contribution.
    I love a lot of EDM. Got into it way back in the rave days. I just don't find that Deadmau5 have added anything unique, or particularly interesting to the genre. I find it very derivative. I think it depends on when one originally hit the type of music. If you were listening to genre bending stuff way back 25yrs ago and on, then a lot of what came after sounds less original. But if you don't have that musical back catalog and just started listening to EDM a dozen years ago or so then maybe the stuff sounds unique and more of a contribution.

Deadmau5 sounds like repetitive utter crap. Its music to be dance to I guess, not to listen to. Not one track of his I've heard that is remotely interesting.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

She's one of the best spiritual singer/musicians in the world. A Canadian Icon and legend. A fabulous performer. A lot of her catalog soars and especially in concert. Seen her 10 times. I like a wide range of music but for what Sarah does she's about the best at it.

I'm not going to the Canada Day show though as we're probably headed out to Elk Island that day.

She's one of the best spiritual singer/musicians in the world. A Canadian Icon and legend. A fabulous performer. A lot of her catalog soars and especially in concert. Seen her 10 times. I like a wide range of music but for what Sarah does she's about the best at it.

I'm not going to the Canada Day show though as we're probably headed out to Elk Island that day.

She honestly depresses the hell out of me, each to their own though.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So almost one season of Rogers Place and mostly mundane artists. Meanwhile the most exciting concert announcement of the year IMO coming to Edmonton. Beck, and hardly a peep, and he's playing Jubilee, and the presale is already sold out. Got tickets. Pumped.

One critique. Sonic FM released a venue presale code that was not in effect until TODAY, lol. Even though the artist and other presale codes were happening yesterday. I wasted 10minutes trying the sonic presale code before finding the artist presale code.

I don't know that there were any presale seats even left today. The concert is either sold out or the presale apportion is.

The Win win if you managed to get tickets is getting to see Beck in a musical, and more intimate facility. The lose is that such a special artist is not playing in arena facilities (Of his choice).

Beck finally coming to Edmonton.

Edit. Beck soldout on presale reportedly. No tickets available. Stubhub already going from 110-380USD. Tickets already inflated 5-10 times in price and haven't gone on sale to public yet. Out of principal I only bought for us. Would never resale albeit these will hit up to 500 USD before the show happens.

Nice to see Beck has affordable ticket prices of 59, 69, 89 Canabucks even though he could charge hundreds per seat.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-06-2017 at 11:07 AM.

So almost one season of Rogers Place and mostly mundane artists. Meanwhile the most exciting concert announcement of the year IMO coming to Edmonton. Beck, and hardly a peep, and he's playing Jubilee, and the presale is already sold out. Got tickets. Pumped.

One critique. Sonic FM released a venue presale code that was not in effect until TODAY, lol. Even though the artist and other presale codes were happening yesterday. I wasted 10minutes trying the sonic presale code before finding the artist presale code.

I don't know that there were any presale seats even left today. The concert is either sold out or the presale apportion is.

The Win win if you managed to get tickets is getting to see Beck in a musical, and more intimate facility. The lose is that such a special artist is not playing in arena facilities (Of his choice).

Beck finally coming to Edmonton.
    People have different tastes in music. We'll have to agree to disagree about the point of mundane artists at Rogers.

Folk Fest is looking good this year as well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well Beck is one of the more interesting artists for sure. I like eclectic, I detest homogenized pop entertainment. Theres plenty of that in the typical arena digs. I just find it funny how few artists that I like end up playing Rogers. Albeit Roger Waters and Depeche Mode will be turning up there.

In the words of Roger Waters the vast majority of Rock music and pop music is disposable junk. Awful really. His words.

Albeit he says he doesn't get Radiohead while using their producer for his new album

John Mayer used to be considered more of the pop junk, but the later part of his career has been more rock/jazz/blues. He is one of the better guitarists out there these days and many people said as much at his show here. He didn't even play some his older pop hits either, which I thought was a good recognition by him of who listens to his music these days.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Live Nation W Canada‏@livenationwest

JUST ANNOUNCED: @arcadefire's Infinite Content Tour http://livemu.sc/ArcadeFireTour
    Watch “Everything Now”: http://livemu.sc/2rYSTxW #YEG #YYC #YVR
    https://twitter.com/livenationwest/s...59230435401728

^With Phantogram opening

Well Beck is one of the more interesting artists for sure. I like eclectic, I detest homogenized pop entertainment. Theres plenty of that in the typical arena digs. I just find it funny how few artists that I like end up playing Rogers. Albeit Roger Waters and Depeche Mode will be turning up there.

In the words of Roger Waters the vast majority of Rock music and pop music is disposable junk. Awful really. His words.

Albeit he says he doesn't get Radiohead while using their producer for his new album
    Thanks for the heads up about Beck. I'll try to get tix tomorrow. Then I'll go see some disposable rock at Rogers because some people just aren't that pretentious.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for the heads up about Beck. I'll try to get tix tomorrow. Then I'll go see some disposable rock at Rogers because some people just aren't that pretentious.
    Preferring music that isn't insipid, derivative, pop pablum designed for adolescents isn't pretentious, its having a taste for more interesting music.

Is one pretentious because they prefer more expansive acts or that can jump genres and have the musical chops to pull it off?

I don't have a taste for artists that are studio dependent, edit dependent, or autotune dependent. Far from an isolated opinion.

I grew up in a time where every week, sometimes every day amazing artists would release their latest album in what was a nonstop smorgasboard of fantastic popular music. So that sets a bar that just isn't being attained much today. The music industry, for reasons like this, struggles in comparison.

But I'll thank the stars that such performers like Radiohead or Beck even exist still and theres many more worth mention. But the formulaic pop music I could do without. Even that was better in the 70's, 80's.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Normal people just ignore music they don't like. Taking the time to purposefully tell me what I enjoy is dogshit is what makes you pretentious.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Normal people just ignore music they don't like. Taking the time to purposefully tell me what I enjoy is dogshit is what makes you pretentious.
    No, it makes me opinionated and argumentative. On a discussion forum of all things. Calling other people pretentious online is arrogant, dismissive.

"Normal people" don't have such delicately thin skin that any comments about what they like would bother them in the slightest.

Hey, your taste in food and restaurants is impeccable, as I've gone out of my way to note to you. It doesn't follow that any people like all the same things. Its just a discussion, with, gasp, opinions. Its OK that our opinions are different..on a multi topical discussion board.

Aside from that pop music permeates everywhere. If I don't like something its hard to ignore that Madonna for instance will be popular for decades and played in every department store, gym, elevator, restroom (fitting).. and will be a public soundtrack till the end of a natural born life. Imagine if one didn't like the Beatles ( I can't imagine, but would be hard to ignore it)

The thing is whenever such dreck pablum like Maroon5 comes around I know in present day world I basically can't turn it off as its going to be played incessantly everywhere. It permeates everywhere. But more of the context is that when pop music becomes absolute pablum it isn't just a few artists, its the entire catalog of common play music you hear everywhere nonstop like nails screeching on blackboard.

I HATE Autotune. Another opinion..
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2017 at 01:50 PM.

No, it makes me argumentative. On a discussion forum of all things. Calling other people pretentious online is arrogant, dismissive.

"Normal people" don't have such delicately thin skin that any comments about what they like would bother them in the slightest.

Hey, your taste I music and restaurants is impeccable, as I've gone out of my way to note. It doesn't follow that people like all the same things. Its just a discussion, with, gasp, opinions.
    I think discussion is fine, but you're telling someone what they like is horrible. Thats not a discussion is it? I'm not a delicate, nor am I then skinned, but I can smell BS .

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, it makes me argumentative. On a discussion forum of all things. Calling other people pretentious online is arrogant, dismissive.

Hey, your taste I music and restaurants is impeccable, as I've gone out of my way to note. It doesn't follow that people like all the same things. Its just a discussion, with, gasp, opinions.
    I think discussion is fine, but you're telling someone what they like is horrible. Thats not a discussion is it? I'm not a delicate, nor am I then skinned, but I can smell BS .
    No, as stated in present day pop music is played everywhere all the time. At least in the 60'70' 80's even 90's there was a lot of good popular music. Now most of it is lowest common denominator rubbish. Plus with radio and media playlists now so repetitive if you don't like a song it gets drilled into your head 10 times a day if you happen to be out in public. if I work out in the gym I'll hear the same rubbish played 2-3 times during a workout. The same effing song. EVERYTIME!

If what was publically played was more expansive, more of a catalog, more genres, it would be easier to take. But its insipid pop. Outside of a few artists I'm not even being particular. Chmilz apparently took offense that I called Deadmau5 derivative junk a couple weeks ago, which it is, and which a lot of people that listen to EDM state. In discussions online..
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2017 at 02:03 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Next. picture yourself in your favorite restaurant. Suddenly its become a greasy spoon macaroni and cheese slinging hipster festering hovel. The smell of which permeates everywhere and so that you no longer go to that restaurant which has even changed its menu.

That's the thing. When pop music changes from something great like the Beatles, to some dreck like Maroon5 everybody suffers, even those not realizing it..

Except with pop music its EVERYWHERE you go. You can't turn it off, you can't walk out It becomes music you despise that is trying to be the soundtrack to public life. In the play 20 song on repeat ad nauseum public universe.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Sure pop music is everywhere, but conversely we've never had this level of access to any type of music we wish to listen to. So you can either bemoan the fact that pop music is everywhere, or you can get an apple music or spotify account and listen to literally any artist from anywhere in the world, even if they've only got 1 song.

There's no reason to think that good music isn't being made. It is. It's just not coming through your AM/FM radio speakers and you can't expect it to be playing in the store.

Rather than being handed good music the onus appears to have shifted to be on the consumer.

No, it makes me opinionated and argumentative. On a discussion forum of all things. Calling other people pretentious online is arrogant, dismissive.

Hey, your taste in food and restaurants is impeccable, as I've gone out of my way to note to you. It doesn't follow that any people like all the same things. Its just a discussion, with, gasp, opinions. Its OK that our opinions are different..on a multi topical discussion board.

Aside from that pop music permeates everywhere. If I don't like something its hard to ignore that Madonna for instance will be popular for decades and played in every department store, gym, elevator, restroom (fitting).. and will be a public soundtrack till the end of a natural born life. Imagine if one didn't like the Beatles ( I can't imagine, but would be hard to ignore it)

The thing is whenever such dreck pablum like Maroon5 comes around I know in present day world I basically can't turn it off as its going to be played incessantly everywhere. It permeates everywhere. But more of the context is that when pop music becomes absolute pablum it isn't just a few artists, its the entire catalog of common play music you hear everywhere nonstop like nails screeching on blackboard.

An opinion is that you dislike that music and autotune. Being pretentious is when you tell me that I'm an ***** for liking something you don't. Big difference. I don't like 99% of the music at Folk Fest. Can't stand it. But you won't hear me tell you that your choice of music sucks. That's your business.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

An opinion is that you dislike that music and autotune. Being pretentious is when you tell me that I'm an ***** for liking something you don't. Big difference. I don't like 99% of the music at Folk Fest. Can't stand it. But you won't hear me tell you that your choice of music sucks. That's your business.
    Please cite where I said anything about you. If I did, or if you can bring that to my attention I will apologize sincerely.

On the contrary YOU made inference about myself. No worries with that, just pointing it out.

I have a high opinion of your tastes generally. Which again I've made clear to you.

ps I dislike the Folk Festival .

Off topic completely - but normal people is a terrible generalization to begin with, but stating that everyone should have thick skin is also extremely arrogant. As someone that works in disabilities and mental health, you never know what someone is dealing with behind the scenes. Sure, they could appear to be fine with what you're saying, but you never know. Online bullying increases that tenfold, which is why there is a huge epidemic of suicide among teenagers that are bullied via social media. Online discussion forums are included in that, even though they may not fit the modern definition of social media.

Anyway, back to the discussion, we're all entitled to our tastes in music, but perhaps keep the commentary on the music being crap instead of the person that likes said music being awful separate. There is a definite difference as others have pointed out. My girlfriend likes music that I detest, but that doesn't make her a bad person.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sure pop music is everywhere, but conversely we've never had this level of access to any type of music we wish to listen to. So you can either bemoan the fact that pop music is everywhere, or you can get an apple music or spotify account and listen to literally any artist from anywhere in the world, even if they've only got 1 song.

There's no reason to think that good music isn't being made. It is. It's just not coming through your AM/FM radio speakers and you can't expect it to be playing in the store.

Rather than being handed good music the onus appears to have shifted to be on the consumer.
    For sure Alex and if you read my posts entirely good music continues to persist. But I say persist because it kind of has to. Artists that are not readily commercially digestible, ie. bubblegum have to work a lot harder. Bands like Pink Floyd are on record that they don't think they would be touched by the music industry of today. Piper at the gates of dawn? Any record company would say see you later.

I'm on Spotify and I actively search for, and find good music, good modern music. So in that sense you are preaching to the choir and actually for being near senior in age I do pretty well with finding and enjoying modern music. Most of my friends listen to old stuff they were listening to back in the 70's which is fine, and I do on occasion, but theres a ton of good music out there. Just not the kind that's being played nonstop everytime I'm anywhere out in public. Oh wait, a Beck song was playing at Lowes yesterday. I kind of chuckled. Somebody else must've scored some tickets.

Anyway occasionally I'm argumentative, as we know. I do welcome others feedback though. Inasmuch as I'm stubborn..
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2017 at 04:52 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

Off topic completely - but normal people is a terrible generalization to begin with, but stating that everyone should have thick skin is also extremely arrogant. As someone that works in disabilities and mental health, you never know what someone is dealing with behind the scenes. Sure, they could appear to be fine with what you're saying, but you never know. Online bullying increases that tenfold, which is why there is a huge epidemic of suicide among teenagers that are bullied via social media. Online discussion forums are included in that, even though they may not fit the modern definition of social media.

Anyway, back to the discussion, we're all entitled to our tastes in music, but perhaps keep the commentary on the music being crap instead of the person that likes said music being awful separate. There is a definite difference as others have pointed out. My girlfriend likes music that I detest, but that doesn't make her a bad person.
    Nice officiating there. I was responding in kind QUOTING what Chmilz had said. I would never make that inference about normality. I was simply mimicking. I was giving the poster back what he/she was giving. A weakness of mine. I don't often initiate that tone with people.

I'm simply not seeing where I made any unkind inference about Chmilz in our exchange. Please bring it to my attention using WHAT I actually stated. Don't read in stuff that I didn't initiate.

For the most part I manage to keep it civil. I do provoke discussion at times. People can choose if they want to engage. i'm not trolling with it either. I love talking about a wide range of stuff.

All that aside I don't subscribe at all, and never do, that music is all equal. I would never go as far either to say or suggest that someone that has all of Justin Biebers records has the same musical appreciation of someone listening to Radiohead. its a completely different audience. One is simply pop product. This goes on a whole other tangent but I passionately dislike marketing or marketed product that is heavily contrived. Good art, music, doesn't occur through a boardroom or through committee or through formula. There was a day and age where people like Lester Bangs, pop music critics, were listened to. I kind of miss that. Now people think all music is equally worthy. Is it?
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.

While that dog is running in circles chasing his own tail, I'll happily tell the rest of you that Def Leppard was crazy good last night. Poison may have been an "opener" but it was more like a double bill. Roger's was a party. Crazy good show across the board. Glad I ponied up the moolah for floor seats.

Right on !

C2E Bandwidth Hog

While that dog is running in circles chasing his own tail, I'll happily tell the rest of you that Def Leppard was crazy good last night. Poison may have been an "opener" but it was more like a double bill. Roger's was a party. Crazy good show across the board. Glad I ponied up the moolah for floor seats.
    I'm glad you had a good time. While I grew up on a steady diet of Leppard and Poison, I personally cannot stomach 80s pop-metal anymore and didn't feel the need to wallow in nostalgia. But from all accounts both bands still put in a good show.

See? I can express my musical preferences without denigrating the tastes of others just to make myself look superior on the internet.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Next. picture yourself in your favorite restaurant. Suddenly its become a greasy spoon macaroni and cheese slinging hipster festering hovel. The smell of which permeates everywhere and so that you no longer go to that restaurant which has even changed its menu.

That's the thing. When pop music changes from something great like the Beatles, to some dreck like Maroon5 everybody suffers, even those not realizing it..

Except with pop music its EVERYWHERE you go. You can't turn it off, you can't walk out It becomes music you despise that is trying to be the soundtrack to public life. In the play 20 song on repeat ad nauseum public universe.
    Well 'pop' music is 'pop'ular music and the reason it is EVERYWHERE is because well, it's popular. Malls have learned that if the music they play is liked by their customers that the customers tend to spend more. It's the same if you go into a plant, a doctors/dentist office or public places. They will pick music that will more or less please a wide range of people. While I realize if you go into a seniors lodge Andre Rieu may be waltzing up the Danube or Dean Martin warbling out his dulcet tones those particular artists have been picket for a particular audience.
    Pop music and the bands playing it may have changed since the 50's 60's but to say one band or one generation of bands is better than the last generation is not a good comparison. Each generation changes and has different music tastes. Not better, not worse but different.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Well 'pop' music is 'pop'ular music and the reason it is EVERYWHERE is because well, it's popular. Malls have learned that if the music they play is liked by their customers that the customers tend to spend more. It's the same if you go into a plant, a doctors/dentist office or public places. They will pick music that will more or less please a wide range of people. While I realize if you go into a seniors lodge Andre Rieu may be waltzing up the Danube or Dean Martin warbling out his dulcet tones those particular artists have been picket for a particular audience.
    Pop music and the bands playing it may have changed since the 50's 60's but to say one band or one generation of bands is better than the last generation is not a good comparison. Each generation changes and has different music tastes. Not better, not worse but different.
    Much of its propoganada and telling you how to think , what you like , but ; after 10 greecy years of continuous Action plan ads, the longest smear campaign <___election , we cut the cable and now found new interests . Even the music ...I thought I liked wasn't so...I now listen to all the old stuff like 96.3....specially listening to the lyrics , it has meaning unlike today's hip hop or pop...it's garbage IMO...
    Last edited by champking; 03-06-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Did you guys know ..and use Kevin O'leary as example but he was behind ' schoolastic ' all the books we read as kids and I think it was ' dragons den or BNN but he admitted that it wasn't about education . It was about telling you how to think . What to buy ..... propoganada designed to increase ' his 'profits . Make him rich...

Do love the arrogance of the guy

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't disagree. But peoples expectation of pop music has apparently decreased. One of the very interesting things noted in this thread, and that I've noted throughout on social media is its now considered inappropriate to discuss anybodies taste or preference in music. This is clearly a generational change and some new standard that wasn't the case before. Indeed one of the ways in which people developed better listening taste in music was through peers formerly critiquing their choices or suggesting that they listen to better. This always occurs within my generation and always has. In the 70's if somebody heard you listening to simple rock they would suggest something like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Yes, even more locally Rush. This is really how well deserving artists gathered acclaim and how those rose to the top and others sank. This appears not to occur anymore. As per this thread its an apparent attack to discuss musical tastes or suggest something is derivative. Its not isolated either. Social media, Reddit etc is nonstop drag down fights about people defending one bit of music over the other. As if any suggestion that Bieber is a lightweight is a criminal thought...

If you think pop music is on equal standing today you must not have been around in the 60's and 70's. Its universally acknowledged those were great decades for rock, music, pop, etc. A halcyon of sorts. A world wide one. Occasionally in present day theres local halcyons and peaks where certain areas are hotbeds of new music. But in the 70's there hundreds of pop bands releasing records that are still revered today. So many young people today are rightfully amazed by the quality, nuance, musicianship of that era.

One of the major changes that has occurred is that if a band wanted a particular instrument on an album someone had to play it. Or get a session musician in. With instruments actually played and first source recorded. So that musicians had to develop an expansive amount of instruments they could play and have musical chops with those and knowing exactly how to hit the notes and make sounds they wanted.

Todays mega reliance on studio wizardry, sound samples, drum machines, synths, loops, etc has resulted in music largely being a sourced and gathered rather than created phenomenon. You no longer have to be able to play any of the music, you just sample it and so that DJ's like Deadmau5 now end up being revered as some kind of great musicians. Its sad that in that it becomes a race to the bottom musically speaking, artistically speaking, as well as for the audience. Several books exist on some of these trends.

Today you go to a "concert" and see somebody like Aviici or Tiesto or whoever sliding levers, pushing buttons. To me as performance art that is incredibly sad albeit one step better than Milli Vanilli.

Most acts today couldn't even play their musical catalog on stage live.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.

It's not only inappropriate now but theirs that country singer who's been threaten with legal ramifications , for posting on Instagram.

I don't disagree. But peoples expectation of pop music has apparently decreased. One of the very interesting things noted in this thread, and that I've noted throughout on social media is its now considered inappropriate to discuss anybodies taste or preference in music. This is clearly a generational change and some new standard that wasn't the case before. Indeed one of the ways in which people developed better listening taste in music was through peers formerly critiquing their choices or suggesting that they listen to better. This always occurs within my generation and always has. In the 70's if somebody heard you listening to simple rock they would suggest something like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Yes, even more locally Rush. This is really how well deserving artists gathered acclaim and how those rose to the top and others sank. This appears not to occur anymore. As per this thread its an apparent attack to discuss musical tastes or suggest something is derivative. Its not isolated either. Social media, Reddit etc is nonstop drag down fights about people defending one bit of music over the other. As if any suggestion that Bieber is a lightweight is a criminal thought...

If you think pop music is on equal standing today you must not have been around in the 60's and 70's. Its universally acknowledged those were great decades for rock, music, pop, etc. A halcyon of sorts. A world wide one. Occasionally in present day theres local halcyons and peaks where certain areas are hotbeds of new music. But in the 70's there hundreds of pop bands releasing records that are still revered today. So many young people today are rightfully amazed by the quality, nuance, musicianship of that era.

One of the major changes that has occurred is that if a band wanted a particular instrument on an album someone had to play it. Or get a session musician in. With instruments actually played and first source recorded. So that musicians had to develop an expansive amount of instruments they could play and have musical chops with those and knowing exactly how to hit the notes and make sounds they wanted.

Todays mega reliance on studio wizardry, sound samples, drum machines, synths, loops, etc has resulted in music largely being a sourced and gathered rather than created phenomenon. You no longer have to be able to play any of the music, you just sample it and so that DJ's like Deadmau5 now end up being revered as some kind of great musicians. Its sad that in that it becomes a race to the bottom musically speaking, artistically speaking, as well as for the audience. Several books exist on some of these trends.

Today you go to a "concert" and see somebody like Aviici or Tiesto or whoever sliding levers, pushing buttons. To me as performance art that is incredibly sad albeit one step better than Milli Vanilli.

Most acts today couldn't even play their musical catalog on stage live.
    It's gone beyond inappropriate. Theirs a country singer being threatened legally for posting on Instagram.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Fish Griwkowsky‏ @fisheyefoto1 hour agoMore

CONCERT: @teganandsara play the Jube Oct. 31 on the Con X tour — $33.50-$68 tix on sale 10 a.m. Friday through @LiveNation. #yegmusic

Big announcements that I don't give one crap about Good for Edmonton though.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes and Todd Rundgren. heh, I just had a flashback.

Yet more great artists who won't end up at Rogers Place.

Anyway, for those who don't know Yes recorded and filmed their 9012Live album and concert VHS film right here in Edmonton, at Rexall over a two night performance. By tickets, which I did, and you got to see YES twice. It was fantastic. YES at the time was one of the biggest acts on the planet and they chose recording right here. Deserves to be mentioned.

The Jube was also the cite of Procol Harum recording their big live album and one of the reasons YES allegedly chose Edmonton a decade later.

Lambert and Queen were fantastic tonight.AL really does get better with each concert

We were waiting for a ride, and some drunk from Mercer says,was there a concert tonight ( not what concert was on tonight) I said no, ten thousand of us went walkabout the same time..( eye roll) I didnt, but thats what I wanted to say..twit

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Jay-Z, Dec 9 at Rogers Place

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rogers Place‏@RogersPlace

SECOND SHOW ADDED! @pinkfloyd visionary @rogerwaters has announced a second Us + Them show Oct. 25 at #RogersPlace! Tickets on sale Friday.

https://twitter.com/RogersPlace/stat...20935914487808

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow, seems like most of the cities he's playing are getting 2 or even 3 shows.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Like we talked about before he's really a big draw still. A lot of staying power and not everybody has had this and particularly guys that broke from their big band to go solo. This is great that a second show is added.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234