Thread: Edmonton is no choir boy-light pollution

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Edmonton is no choir boy-light pollution

Check this map out . Edmonton outshines Calgary when it come to light pollution. And for laughs and giggles look at Vegas.

http://www.youcanseethemilkyway.com/light-pollution/
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

^Amazing. Belgium is insane (I think, in my vague memories, I read once its because they have road street lights everywhere).

Egypt kind of amazed me,up and down the Nile basin

Edmonton doesn't just outshine Calgary, we are worse than Vancouver. So much wasted energy.

It is interesting how prominent the major oil operations are - Prudhoe bay, Fort McMurray and the Bakken are all as bright as major cities.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Note that the bigger the metropolitan area a city has, the brighter it is.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Edmonton doesn't just outshine Calgary, we are worse than Vancouver. So much wasted energy.

It is interesting how prominent the major oil operations are - Prudhoe bay, Fort McMurray and the Bakken are all as bright as major cities.
    it would also be interesting to know how much those photos are affected by the time of year, tree canopies, snow cover etc...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

It seems to me that this directly correlates to metro size. Edmonton has more surrounding municipalities so it looks bigger. But the actual brightness between Edmonton and Calgary and Vancouver doesn't seem to vary in the populated areas. We just happen to be bigger

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    It seems to me that this directly correlates to metro size. Edmonton has more surrounding municipalities so it looks bigger. But the actual brightness between Edmonton and Calgary and Vancouver doesn't seem to vary in the populated areas. We just happen to be bigger
    There is quite the halo of light around Edmonton. I was out in Onoway this past summer was a astonished at the amount of light emanting from the horizon to the east and southeast.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Bandwidth Hog

If you drive Hwy 11 east from Rocky at night, you see a big orange glow in the north (YEG) another in the south (YYC) and a smaller one directly ahead (Red Deer).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Is this not supposed to be reduced with the new LED street lights?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Here is another amazing one - where the wind blows today. I was amazed when I came to Alberta how little wind there is relative to where I grew up in New Zealand. You can see it clearly on the map:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161...arth-right-now

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Thanks - this map is great.

If you like realtime world weather maps check out http://www.meteoearth.com/. It's very interactive - you can rotate the globe into positions and enable different measurements - and looks just plain cool too.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

You're right.... it is pretty cool alright

So what are the main / worst sources of waste light?

Just guessing here:

Street lighting doesn't seem too bad to me.

Vehicles could be a significant cause.

Old walkway lighting seems very wasteful often shining skyward.

Household exterior lights must be very bad, letting a lot of light and so money escape into the stratosphere.

Commercial, industrial?

Office buildings? (Must households close their blinds.)

C2E Continued Contributor

If you use this better website: http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#z...layers=B0TFFFF

You can get a better feel for where the light pollution is.

For instance, commercial/industrial is worse than residential. Parks are not an issue.

I would say that the primary causes of light pollution are two things:

1) Overlighting of things like parking lots. (Car dealerships are often the worst offenders, but even look at Bonnie Doon Mall in the above link)

2) Lights that point upwards (through design or through lack of shielding). Places like Refinery Row are obvious, but even silly up/down lighting used as tacky accents cause this.

Buildings should aim for no uplighting (Full cutoff lighting), or where uplighting is used, only where it can be again cut-off to hit only the areas expected and/or blocked from uplighting by soffits or other projections.