Thread: Soldiers of Odin marching Edmonton streets

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Default Soldiers of Odin marching Edmonton streets

Soldiers of Odin marching Edmonton streets
    The Anti-Defamation League has said the organization 'can easily be considered a hate group'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...eets-1.3745493
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

"The white supremacists are coming! The white supremacists are coming!"

They must have been motivated by the brazen racism of that drunken loser caught on film the other day.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

A group whose aim is to protect society at large from gangs of roving criminal refugees? I suspect Odin's Soldiers are going to be spending a lot of time hanging out at Timmy's drinking coffee and eating TimBits.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Fascist clowns chased away by Clowns. http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/lold...land-1.3410837

Awesome!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Soldiers of Odin consist of 10 members. Some marching army...

Why is this news?

What has the purpose of news become?

The answer, unfortunately, simply selling hits.

That the funded CBC itself is trying to make this news is disgusting. All coverage of this non entity does is provide potential legitimacy for a very small faction by essentially providing free advertising for it. Exactly what this small group would want so that they could try to spread.

So why does the CBC exist? Maybe somebody should cover that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Anything that is happening is news. If you don't like the content, don't read it. You're not forced to.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Why is this news?

That the funded CBC itself is trying to make this news is disgusting. All coverage of this non entity does is provide potential legitimacy for a very small faction by essentially providing free advertising for it. Exactly what this small group would want so that they could try to spread.

It's news because it's new plus news has always been about selling papers, getting viewers, or getting clicks. That's the part that's not new.

Personally I appreciate them reporting on this. While the group is small in Edmonton, it is part of a larger movement that has been spreading and people should be aware of that.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Anything that is happening is news. If you don't like the content, don't read it. You're not forced to.
    You've missed the point. The CBC making this news directly services such pathetic endeavor.

Any such group only hopes to get in the news. Its the whole reason they do it.

Why does the media give such service to it? I mean why, objectively.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

Why is this news?

It's news because it's new plus news has always been about selling papers, getting viewers, or getting clicks. That's the part that's not new.

Personally I appreciate them reporting on this. While the group is small in Edmonton, it is part of a larger movement that has been spreading and people should be aware of that.
    Keeping in mind that front page awareness (where this doesn't belong) only furthers membership. That is the membership history of such orgs. That free press = memberships. A direct linear correlation that is known to these groups. In many cases they exist in incubation with their only hope being getting noticed in the media.

In cases like this vigilance doesn't deter a problem it creates it.

So what's to be worried about in a bunch of people dressing up as clowns to challenge a vigilante group? Fear of more clowns on the streets?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    So what's to be worried about in a bunch of people dressing up as clowns to challenge a vigilante group? Fear of more clowns on the streets?
    I think you're getting the two links mixed up. The OP is simply about a group of 10 people having a "march".

Why is this news?

Keeping in mind that front page awareness (where this doesn't belong) only furthers membership. That is the membership history of such orgs. That free press = memberships. A direct linear correlation that is known to these groups. In many cases they exist in incubation with their only hope being getting noticed in the media.

In cases like this vigilance doesn't deter a problem it creates it.
    That is the history of these things before the dominance of social media echo chambers. The like-minded find each other across the world with great ease these days. They already have more recruiting tools via other means than free press would have afforded them 20 years ago. Given that, it is important the rest of us know about their existence, their motives, etc. That's where regular media come in.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I for one am glad CBC has brought this group to our attention. If I was a person of color walking the street and minding my own business then I'd know to be wary of them.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's fair Paul. Social media does allow different avenues of recruitment but MSM coverage tends to legitimize and give credence to what are otherwise extreme fringe groups. I mean whats the limit to reporting this kind of nonsense? A *group* of two?

This local charter group is so insignificant here that I have to question why CBC is reporting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    You've missed the point. The CBC making this news directly services such pathetic endeavor.

Any such group only hopes to get in the news. Its the whole reason they do it.

Why does the media give such service to it? I mean why, objectively.
    I disagree. This is a case of shining light on cockroaches and watching them scatter.

The benefit of widely reporting groups like this in the era of social media is it can be made abundantly clear what most people think of groups like this. If it's made clear a group like this is unacceptable it will discourage people from supporting it. I would say it does the opposite of legitimize them.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The benefit of widely reporting groups like this in the era of social media is it can be made abundantly clear what most people think of groups like this. If it's made clear a group like this is unacceptable it will discourage people from supporting it. I would say it does the opposite of legitimize them.
    How is it not blatantly obvious groups like this are unacceptable?

We would have to have failed in every aspect of socialization for this not to be a known. One would think discouragement is automatic in this sense.

You may well think that MSM attention does the opposite of legitimizing. You'd be wrong.

As this example illustrates MSM just paves the way in providing free global advertising.

(warning of disturbing content and picture in the linked source)

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/05/...ts-propaganda/

heres another example where coverage does not result in a positive result, it results in increased violence and incidents;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...rther-violence

Finally, this man would know better than anybody that media are spreading messages of hate instead of demonizing it by the simple acts of reporting it;

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/8131...s-hate-groups/

So the above all supporting precisely what I've stated.

Worse, this has been an exceedingly well known phenomenon as long as I've been around. MSM is just being irresponsible.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-09-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Soldiers of Odious.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Hard Core Contributor

That's fair Paul. Social media does allow different avenues of recruitment but MSM coverage tends to legitimize and give credence to what are otherwise extreme fringe groups. I mean whats the limit to reporting this kind of nonsense? A *group* of two?

This local charter group is so insignificant here that I have to question why CBC is reporting this.
    I wouldn't think of it as an insignificant group if I ran into them on the street.

Absolutely SP59.

You're way off base Replacement. Reporting on the "actions" of this group ("patrols", gathering en masse wearing their gear) is most definitely in the public service.

I appreciate your deeply romanticized view of the general public but support for a racist, anti-immigration, violence advocating group of thugs belies your point. Heck, based on what you're saying it was misguided to report on Ernst Zundel? James Keegstra?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Absolutely SP59.

You're way off base Replacement. Reporting on the "actions" of this group ("patrols", gathering en masse wearing their gear) is most definitely in the public service.

I appreciate your deeply romanticized view of the general public but support for a racist, anti-immigration, violence advocating group of thugs belies your point. Heck, based on what you're saying it was misguided to report on Ernst Zundel? James Keegstra?
    Read my post above where I take the time to cite 3 links that clearly support the position I am stating and that reveal that media sensationalizing elicits support for these groups. Its free advertising. This is not new. I learned about this effect decades ago in University.

I'm not stating just my opinion here. MSM backs these factions by reporting on it. People like Keegstra, Zundel were similar idiots that were aided by media reporting. The media gives these idiots a free platform in which their views become well known. This in turn makes it easy for these groups and factions to recruit. Ever hear theres no such thing as bad press? Its a similar concept. Just getting mentioned in the media is helpful to these factions and is their goal in having such things as marches.

Finally, those that are died in the wool racists are not deterred by MSM media. They look forward to their views getting media attention. Its why these events occur.

I encourage you to study the literature. Every fascist, terrorist group UTILIZES the media to send their message locally, globally. Its how they exist and perpetuate hate.

Why grant them the MSM platform?

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

OK, I admit to being behind the times when it involves acronyms.But what does MSM mean?

Edited to add: Actually, I found this coverage interesting because I am always interested in the nascent forms of new things. Also, if I encounter these people in real life because I do haunt the streets at odd times I like being able to recognize what I'm looking at (for good or ill). Also, I have an abiding, long-term interest in attempts for civilian control of bad behaviour (most of which is sub-criminal but irritating nonetheless).
    Last edited by EveB; 05-09-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Main Stream Media.

Much like the Sharia "modesty patrols" in Europe, small gangs of idiots like this pop up now and again everywhere. If they do anything unlawful, the police will take care of them.

Clownshoe losers. Wannabe Guardian Angels who are scared of immigrants. I would like to see them counter-protested. Go home Sons of Odin.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

What does it matter if the media reports these people.
    It makes the public aware of what is going on in the way of anti-social behavior.
    Put it this way, if it were 1,000 Soldiers of Odin marching people would be demanding to know.
    As for it giving them free publicity. Well, the types of people that want to join them and the type of people they want to have would find each other sooner or later. Misguided fools.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Can't tell what is factual and what is spin on Wikipedia but here's the link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_of_Odin

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3707855.1470340909...din-canada.jpg

As an aside. Their t-shirts show a helmet with horns on it. Well, coincidentally, I learned on Monday from a 10-year that archeologists have never found a Viking helmet with horns on it. I was going to argue that the Flinstones' Grand Poobahs clearly had horns on their helmets so the attire predates the Vikings but this 10-year old is clearly a victim of msm and seemed rather fearsome himself, so I thought I'd better avoid arguing facts with him.

Did Vikings really wear horned helmets?

http://www.history.com/news/ask-hist...horned-helmets

Hard, verified proof! (It's on the Internet therefore it's true)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0xm6xvF_u4...stones_L17.jpg
    Last edited by KC; 07-09-2016 at 06:36 AM.

Of the three examples the first two are not comparable as they have to do with terrorism and terrorist activities while the third is the opinion of one man. He doesn't provide any evidence that ignoring these groups helps either. I would say it is important media is careful in how the cover these issues and that is a point made in the first two articles Replacement linked to. That doesn't mean not covering them at all.

In the case here the CBC article is fine. It doesn't overstate the situation but does provide awareness to the general public the group is around and what their background is. In the absence of reports like this all that people who encounter the group in the streets will know is what they say about themselves. Providing the counter story to that is important.

Of the three examples the first two are not comparable as they have to do with terrorism and terrorist activities while the third is the opinion of one man. He doesn't provide any evidence that ignoring these groups helps either. I would say it is important media is careful in how the cover these issues and that is a point made in the first two articles Replacement linked to. That doesn't mean not covering them at all.

In the case here the CBC article is fine. It doesn't overstate the situation but does provide awareness to the general public the group is around and what their background is. In the absence of reports like this all that people who encounter the group in the streets will know is what they say about themselves. Providing the counter story to that is important.
    Basically, people like censorship and restrictions on free speech, protest, etc for issues they don't like.