Thread: CBAs - Community Benefit Agreements

Default CBAs - Community Benefit Agreements

I'd never heard of these but I hear that Vancouver has used them for years in relation to various developments.

Does anyone have any thoughts on them? What forms can they take? Are they fair to the beneficiaries? To the businesses?

They are pretty common, and have a reasonably long history (a lot of it in the mining industry). There are also impact benefit agreements, and mutual benefit agreements (often with aboriginal communities). Here is a good summary:

http://www.miningfacts.org/Communiti...ements-(IBAs)/

I understand there is some quaint history, in that, one of the first IBA's ever entered into in Canada has essentially become the legal template for every IBA ever since.

Basically, its saying, you show us support for our project, and to reimburse you for the inconvenience the project will cause, we will provide you with, for example, jobs, / local participation in the project, a school, a new art center, or whatever. If its a large project impacting many communities there might even be guarantees that the amount received is not less than what other communities get.

Technically its not a bribe, nobody is personally making money, rather, a group or community is receiving negotiated compensation for something that will impact them. In B.C. community groups are often a lot more activist, so I expect it follows that these agreements are almost mandatory to get anything done.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-08-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Yeah I've heard of agreements (maybe they were CBAs) that provide some form of compensation or value in exchange for approval. I guess I was just getting the impression that "CBAs" we're going beyond that to provide funding or jobs for the mere presence of a development.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Was at executive committee much of the morning for the arena update, spoke to the Community Benefits Agreement, far from perfect, but a work in progress similar to a lot of the potential benefits and issues surrounding it.

It is still ongoing and can be heard here.

http://councilontheweb.edmonton.ca/#

Expect a TON of media and hopefully some very positive outcomes and new resources for from this.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

With regards to the Arena, for clarity.

Also:

www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

For once I agree with Staples - David Staples: Inner-city activists should petition Premier Notley for social housing, not Daryl Katz

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...not-daryl-katz
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

Bingo.... but as part of the solution, not THE solution.
    www.decl.org

So, using the arena situation as an example, it seems such agreements shouldn't be so open ended and airy fairy but with a defined scope and limitations.

^better to be on that side, yes, but it is not to say that you cannot still achieve very positive results being vague as well as it is far more flexible and able to adapt over the years.
    www.decl.org

...But then you get the PR issues with one or other party either acting or being negatively characterized in the media etc. In this arena case someone characterized others as trying to extort and making demands - which maybe they were. So right away you've got a breakdown in the very situation set up to build better relationships of one kind or another.