Thread: Nuke the Oil Sands

Default Nuke the Oil Sands

Fun article, Premier Ernest Manning was in favor of this idea:

But risks aside, Project Oilsand probably would have worked.

The bomb would have been detonated about 370 metres underground. For a split second, the power of the explosion would vaporize a massive underground pocket jacket by a hollow orb of glass. Then the orb would have imploded, ripping a crater in the boreal forest above.

As heat radiated through the chilled Northern Alberta soil, oil rigs would have sprung to life to churn out warm, slightly radioactive Alberta bitumen. As with nuclear fallout, the radiation would then have dissipated over time.

If the concept behind Project Oilsand had entered commercial production, however, it would have required a regular stream of atomic explosions to keep the heated oil from congealing.

In an atomically mined Alberta, being woken up by nuclear earthquakes would have become a regular feature of working as an oil rigger, and the Athabasca region would have become identifiable for its landscape of spherical craters.

The blasts would almost certainly have posed immediate health risks to Northern Albertans.

Atomic bitumen mining would also have been incredibly wasteful: untold barrels of oil would need to be blasted into oblivion for every barrel piped to the surface — and at a time when many Alberta oilmen already saw themselves as drowning in an oil glut. Billions of dollars of the provinces’ most easily accessible oil could have been needlessly vaporized.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/na...676/story.html

The US tried such uses for Nukes, Operation Plowshare was one of the test programs but there was a few others. Can't remember the names off the top of my head or which shots were involved in the stimulation of oil and gas wells. There were a couple of shots involved though. The Soviets also did at least one oil/gas well stimulation shot from what I can recall but not really clear on the details.

C2E Posting Power

hahahahahaahha

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    The US tried such uses for Nukes, Operation Plowshare was one of the test programs but there was a few others. Can't remember the names off the top of my head or which shots were involved in the stimulation of oil and gas wells. There were a couple of shots involved though. The Soviets also did at least one oil/gas well stimulation shot from what I can recall but not really clear on the details.
    Some of the problems include airborne nuclear fallout, contaminated water and unusable results.

The previous two tests had indicated that the produced natural gas would be too radioactive for safe use; the Rio Blanco test found that the three blast cavities had not connected as hoped, and the resulting gas still contained unacceptable levels of radionuclides
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshare

The cost of producing the nuclear device: mining, refinement, upgrading, waste disposal, long term health and clean-up costs far outweigh the economic benefits, "no economic advantage over conventional explosives, except for potentially the very largest of projects"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

As an added bonus Alberta would have become a world leader in treating cancer.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Larry Pratt's book Tar Sands: Syncrude and the Politics of Oil published in 1976 had a chapter on this concept, which as I recall talked about an MIT study about it.