Thread: Edmonton Comic Expo 2016

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Comic Expo 2016

First guest announcements this morning for the Sept 23-25 show, listed here
    http://edmontonexpo.com/guests/media-guests/
    http://edmontonexpo.com/guests/artists-and-creators/

So far, John De Lance (Q from Star Trek) and Jae Lee have piqued my interest.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Carrie Fisher, you guys! That is all.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...ton-comic-expo

Carrie Fisher, last seen in the iconic role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 2015, will appear at the fifth annual Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo on Sept. 24 and 25.In addition to her recently revisited role as Princess Leia in the Star Wars franchise, Fisher appeared in classic films like When Harry Met Sally, Shampoo, and The Blues Brothers and is an acclaimed playwright, novelist, screenwriter and Emmy Award nominee. Comic Expo fans can hear from her at a spotlight panel and meet her at photo ops and autograph sessions.
    She will appear at the Saskatoon comic expo the weekend before.

Edmonton Comic Expo organizers also announced that Brian Herring, the puppeteer behind the droid BB-8 from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, will also attend the Edmonton event next month.

Other guests include voice actors Christopher Sabat (Dragonball Z, One Piece, Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker) and Sean Schemmel (Dragonball Z, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pokemon) and several illustrators/comic book artists, including Sana Takeda (Monstress, X-23, Ms. Marvel) and Robert Pope (PEANUTS, Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes, Batman the Brave and the Bold, Johnny Bravo, DC Comics).
    Video game pioneer and BioWare’s first artist Mike Sass (Magic the Gathering, World of Warcraft, Star Wars, Pathfinder, and Dungeons and Dragons) will also attend.

Previously announced headliners include John de Lancie, Ted Raimi and Alex Kingston.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Carrie Fisher, you guys! That is all.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...ton-comic-expo
    That's major! Princess Leia will be walking on the dunes in Edmonton.
    But it would have been sweeter if she came here 35 light years ago.

She's hilarious as hell in interviews and pressers, so I look forward to her Q&A session. Hope she brings her frenchie too!
    They tweeted this morning that the next announcements will roll out August 24.

This morning's guest announcements:
    Natalia Dyer and Shannon Purser (Stranger Things)
    Stephen Amell (Arrow)
    Austin St John and Karan Ashley (Power Rangers)
    Pia Guerra (artist on Y: The Last Man)
    Ian Boothby (artist on Simpsons)
    Vic Malhotra (local artist on Roche Limit)

Next announcements on Sept 6.

I'm so sad I can't get back up for Alex Kingston! Every archaeologist needs to meet Dr. River Song!

Today's guest announcements

celebrities:
    Christian Slater
    Carlos Valdes (Flash)
    Elizabeth Henstridge (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
    Mark Meer (Mass Effect)

comic books creators:
    Gerhard
    Carl Potts
    Camilla d'Errico
    Jose Marzan Jr
    Travis Sengaus
    Kyle Charles

cosplayers:
    Wind of the Stars
    Carl Martin
    Mogchelle
    Alexa Heart

Given his constant attendance I think they'd only need an announcement for Mark Meer if he wasn't coming.

That said I hope he hosts the costume contest again. He was by far the best they've ever had in that spot.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^ Likewise for Garrett Wang

Today's guest announcements:

celebrities:

Wallace Shawn (Princess Bride) - apparently this his first-ever con, which is inconceivable!
    Carlos Valdes (Flash) has cancelled again (2 years in a row)

comic books creators:
    Joe Ng
    Walden Wong
    Hope Nicholson
    Kelly Tindall
    Jeff Martin
    Elaine Will
    Mark Allard-Will
    Robert Bailey

Programming Schedule is now up
    http://edmontonexpo.com/the-show/programming/

Damn! Got excited by Silmarillion session but it's for people who haven't read it not ones who've read it countless times like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wallace Shawn (Princess Bride) - apparently this his first-ever con, which is inconceivable!
    Whaaaaaat?! The dude was in DS9. I thought anyone connected to any Star Trek show has lived at cons for years.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

https://twitter.com/EdmontonExpo/sta...01904466542592
    EdmontonExpo ‏@EdmontonExpo
    We are bringing @DevonMMurray aka Seamus Finnigan to one of his first ever cons/Expos! #HarryPotter #EdmontonExpo

https://twitter.com/EdmontonExpo/sta...19525216952320

EdmontonExpo@EdmontonExpo
    Due to passport issues, Alex Kingston has had to cancel on #EdmontonExpo. We don't like it any more than you guys do.

Wow, that's a shame. She was a bigger name at the expo this year. I'm a bit amazed that she'd have problems; most actors have those things worked out.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

That blows are family photo this year.

Looks like Carrie Fisher and her best friend Gary did some sightseeing around town today. At the "Muttard Center":
    https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/st...34968808628224

^ Turns out Carrie's been here all week. During her panel she said she's been sightseeing and visiting galleries while her assistant was getting drunk in the pubs. As expected, she was engaging and hilarious during her panel, and Edmontonians asked some good questions, some of which had nothing to do with Star Warmongering.

The Expo itself has been fun, and a tad insane. So much to see and do, always running into friends who have booths or just attending. Love the cosplay - Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad was a popular one with the sexy young ladies this year. This year the Expo doesn't seem as busy as prior years, likely because of the economy and all the other events happening. It doesn't help that it can be an expensive outing, from admissions to autographs and photo-ops to all the swag up for sale.

Been a good Expo for us as well. Caught Carrie Fisher's panel yesterday, stopped to get Wallace Shawn's autograph and made it the costume contest. Mark Meer did not disappoint as host. Earlier in the day we spent around two hours in the gaming area trying out a game we hadn't played before. This year has been really good for my kids, who are now almost 14. They've been off finding the panels they wanted to see including several of the small ones on writing, world building, and manga.

I do think it feels a little less busy than in past years, bonus for us, as it's easier to get around, but hopefully doesn't hurt the Expo.

Not sure how one posts Instagram pics here, but looks like Elizabeth Henstridge took some time from Expo to explore the river valley
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BKy-e0xhOwR/

lil_henstridge#edmontonexpo you have been amazing!!! Thank you ������
    #nofilter for realz this place is beauts x
    She was sweet and funny during her panel. She even demonstrated each SHIELD cast member's dance move!

There's now a youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/EdmontonExpo

Attendance was just over 40,000. Lower than last year's 55,000 but I think they expected 30,000
    https://twitter.com/EdmontonExpo/sta...81285503246337

Stars Getting Rich Off Fan Conventions: How to Take Home "Garbage Bags Full of $20s"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...entions-933062

I don't begrudge them charging for autographs particularly if they give you some time while they're doing it. I don't get a lot of autographs but I appreciate when they take the time to chat with you. Matt Ryan was awesome to us, not only chatting for a minute or two but also letting us get a picture with him. And Wallace Shawn was nice this year and in his case it sounds like he really needs the money.