Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Fort McMurray fire

I'd rather C2E than work!

Fort McMurray wildfire costliest insured disaster in Canadian history

Insurers are now looking at $3.68b in costs compared to the Slave Lake fire which had $750m in insured costs.

Interesting that the 2013 floods had $6b in damages but only $1.7b was covered by insurers.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Excellent piece from CBC on the first few days of fighting the fire in the townsite.

http://www.cbc.ca/interactives/longf...urray-wildfire

Yes, and quite revealing.

They are reviewing the response. I hope they don't find fault with the fire department. They worked with what they had and did an amazing job. It comes down to splitting hairs and second guessing with the issues around announcing the evac.

Any failure and lessons learned should point towards the lack of advance preparation in this and many other towns and cities. (Think of New Orleans. Lack of funding, funding cuts, project delays etc. all led to their distaster. When it actually occurred, a certain randomness was inevitable. Their forces abandoned their jobs.)

Basically, many wars and battles can be avoided and with enough defences attacks can be turned away, but to not expect the unexpected in battle, in a poorly anticipated battle, yet inevitable battle, is very foolish.
    Last edited by KC; 28-07-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Reading it over it sounds like they responded extremely well to a unprecedented situation. Where mistakes made? Of course there were. Nothing ever runs perfectly in first response, which is why, even in small incidents, there is a debrief and review. Based on this report, which is very selective, the only big questions I have are about the information being provided from the provincial firefighters to the town. In hindsight it seems they did not communicate the situation on the ground in the early stages to the town officials very well.

The bottom line, though, is nothing in this account suggests any incompetence. They were making the best decisions they could with the information they had on very little sleep. In the end everyone got out alive and the saved most of the town.

Landscaping matters...

Probably combined with nearby siding and roofing materials.

To stop Alberta's natural events from becoming disasters, we must act now
    GLENN MCGILLIVRAY
    Contributed to The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Aug. 05, 2016

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is that owners of private property will need to embrace the use of mitigation measures. One of the biggest challenges with reducing the risk of disasters in Canada is that, when confronted with damage from severe weather, homeowners often pass blame and responsibility to others– usually the government.

“I pay my taxes, fix it,” is an all-too-familiar refrain. But what homeowners often do not realize is that governments can take every action on the public-property and policy side of things and the disaster could still play out the same way.

Scores of homes survived in Fort McMurray in otherwise decimated neighbourhoods. Why? A researcher for the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR), who investigated the phenomenon shortly after the fire, found clear evidence that how people landscaped and maintained their private properties played an overriding role in preventing ignition by embers, determining survival rates of homes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle31298372/

New Study Shows ‘Smoke Waves’ Will Affect Millions in the Coming Decades
    August 23, 2016Earth

http://scitechdaily.com/new-study-sh...oming-decades/

^Smoke Waves.....................from what they have been smoking.
    The world is giving off toxins naturally every day in the way of eruptions, fermenting vegetation, etc. Hawaii is still forming, lava giving off fumes and smoke constantly. The dropping of the atom bomb in Hiroshima will be felt for billions of years if you go by their logic. Mother nature has a record of wreaking havoc and remarkable record of healing herself.
    Smoke Waves - A new term coined to get 15 minutes of fame.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Smoke Waves.....................from what they have been smoking.
    The world is giving off toxins naturally every day in the way of eruptions, fermenting vegetation, etc. Hawaii is still forming, lava giving off fumes and smoke constantly. The dropping of the atom bomb in Hiroshima will be felt for billions of years if you go by their logic. Mother nature has a record of wreaking havoc and remarkable record of healing herself.
    Smoke Waves - A new term coined to get 15 minutes of fame.
    The article doesn't say anything about harm to the planet, this is about increasing numbers of wildfires impacting air quality in heavily populated areas.

^Sometimes you throw out a point, any point, just to make one.
    I said the planet pollutes naturally on a daily basis. Geysers, gases, volcanoes etc. all going into the atmosphere. Smoke is a pollutant weather set fire naturally (lightning) or set fire by humans. The world has been spinning for billions of years. I should imagine it was one natural massive pollutant for a few billion of them. Mother Nature has been healing the planet and atmosphere since the beginning of time. I guess now we have 'smoke waves' to worry about. In the scheme of things I thought the wind was the broom that sweeps and blows pollution away or trees and plants clean the planet. They are going on the premise that these fires are going to increase. Do they have a crystal ball? Has the earth not had hot/cold cycles on a regular basis.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Again, the article has nothing to do with general pollution to the planet nor damage to the planet, it has to do with the affect of increasing numbers of heavy smoke events on large populations. You're the one making the irrelevant point.

^Oops, you did it again.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Fort McMurray wildfire: The Beast gets distilled into whisky

A pallet of peated malt that escaped the Fort McMurray wildfire is set to be distilled into a whisky and christened with the name of the blaze it survived: The Beast.

Wood Buffalo Brewing Co. was struck by the idea of creating a signature spirit after discovering the 1,000 kilograms of malt had developed a new unique flavour thanks to being left on the side patio of the Morrison Street brew pub, absorbing the smoke from the forest fire.

“It was already heavily peated malt destined for whisky, but it absorbed this extra flavour,” head brewer Spike Baker said.

“You can taste the malt, but it also has this smoky campfire taste to it. This is definitely going to be a one-off whisky because these conditions are never going to be repeatable.”

The brew pub approached the Fort McMurray Fire Fighters Association to partner with the organization for a special event Friday that will not only see the distillation process begin, but will be used to raise funds for the Friends of the Fort McMurray Firefighters Charities Association.

“It’s an opportunity to celebrate how far we’ve come as a community,” Baker said. “In honour of the firefighters saving the city and making this whisky possible, we want to move that legacy forward — that’s where the giveback comes in.

“Our local firefighters have been with us every step of the way and when we shared our initial idea, they jumped in to help brainstorm the name and even wanted to be part of the event.”

Close to 200 bottles will be produced, and five of those will be auctioned off Friday.

Successful bidders will receive an empty bottle and an IOU to be redeemed in five years when The Beast will be ready to drink.

In addition, Wood Buffalo will provide 10 bottles a year for auctions that support victims of the wildfire.

“This event is a chance for us to move forward and remember the good things,” Baker said.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ed-into-whisky

Whiskey lovers could be all over this. Should be interesting to see how much a bottle goes for when they are auctioned.

Could be an interesting investment. If it turns out to be really good when finally produced the price would could go up a lot.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678