Thread: Fraser v Parkland

Default Fraser v Parkland

"You have a spending problem". "No, you have a revenue problem"

Fraser:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blog...ending-choices

Parkland: http://www.parklandinstitute.ca/albe...venue_not_debt

I'd rather C2E than work!

How about both, we have a revenue problem that is for the most part out of our control, but we also have a spending problem which is somewhat in our control. Newfoundland because of population, terrain, mostly on an island I can understand having to spend more, Ontario and Quebec do have some economies of scale with having a huge city in each. But why is BC spending less than us per capita this seems to be the problem. BC isn't exactly falling apart with lack of government services or infrastructure.
    Last edited by sundance; 28-04-2016 at 03:09 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The Fraser Institute is such a broken record. Do they have any credibility left? All they seem to do is repeat the tired out sorry old stories about high spending, despite the story being much more nuanced and often times much different in reality than their claims.

I'm not even convinced the Fraser Institute actually does research any more. I think they just spew out a rotating list of buzzwords and hope no one actually looks at the numbers, like Parkland has here.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    How about both, we have a revenue problem that is for the most part out of our control, but we also have a spending problem which is somewhat in our control. Newfoundland because of population, terrain, mostly on an island I can understand having to spend more, Ontario and Quebec do have some economies of scale with having a huge city in each. But why is BC spending less than us per capita this seems to be the problem. BC isn't exactly falling apart with lack of government services or infrastructure.
    Inflation. The oil boom drove wages up across the province, which in turn drove costs of everything. It costs more to provide the same services here as in BC. It also helps BC that more than half their population lives in in one place.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Oh, and BC has lower costs for one major reason: they spend over $1000 less per capita than us on healthcare. They also have a higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality, and better outcomes in chronic disease management. This is despite BC having greater age pressures on their system.

That is $4.1 billion out of our budget if we could get costs down to their per capita level.

I've said this for quite a while, but a large portion of Alberta's expenditure problems can be traced to our bloated, inefficient, fragmented, and poorly managed health system. We need a strong government willing to take the reins away from all the special interests (namely physicians) that have caused this situation, and bring out spending in line with other provinces.

Fraser

some say increased spending growth is necessary to help the economy grow, and that reducing and reforming spending would hurt Alberta’s economic prospects. But research casts serious doubt on the ability of increased government spending to actually spur growth.
    I betcha that there 'research' will be (or has been) already debunked.

P.S. Fraser is the best funded "think tank" in Canada. Its US equivalent, the American Enterprise Institute is also the best funded over there, with an endowment north of $1 billion USD. Clearly there are some vested interests at play here that wish the government to withdraw.

Watch PBS's "Commanding Heights" to figure out who they are (essentially after WWII the West ended up by a government run economy since it was hard to wean off the impact war planning had on every facet of life)
    Last edited by Safir; 28-04-2016 at 03:48 PM.

^^not defending Alberta health, but it probably helps that less of them are obsese:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-.../11922-eng.htm

Even more dramatic if look at Southern B.C. Which is linked to lifestyle I think, if you live in sprawl sprawlyville, and drive everywhere, you probably won't live as long as living next to Stanley Park and going for a bike / walk / run through it each day.

B.C. arguably places more emphasis on public health / lifestyle improvement than Alberta in their policy. I mean, they did pretty much pioneer the modern "healthy city" with vancouverism. They invest more in active transportation, they focus more on health and wellness through their health system, etc. The climate helps but doesn't tell the whole story.

Well well well the Frenchies and the Hippies are less fat..Figures..

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^^not defending Alberta health, but it probably helps that less of them are obsese:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-.../11922-eng.htm

Even more dramatic if look at Southern B.C. Which is linked to lifestyle I think, if you live in sprawl sprawlyville, and drive everywhere, you probably won't live as long as living next to Stanley Park and going for a bike / walk / run through it each day.

^and the Atlantic drunkards are among the fattest

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^and the Atlantic drunkards are among the fattest
    Oh I think they've moved here now