Thread: Cold Lake facility could move to Ont.

Default Cold Lake facility could move to Ont.

"efforts to cut costs"

"Cold Lake facility could move to Ont.

As part of efforts to cut costs, the Canadian Forces is looking at options to revamp its Alberta-based aerospace test facilities, including transfer"

Canadian Forces eyes moving Alberta-based aerospace testing to Ontario
    Dave Pugliese, Postmedia Network
    Monday, April 25, 2016

As part of efforts to cut costs, the Canadian Forces is looking at options to revamp its Alberta-based aerospace test facilities, including transferring some of the work to private industry or moving the organization to a more accessible location, such as the Ottawa area.

The process, dubbed the Engineering Flight Test Rationalization Initiative, is part of continuing efforts at the Department of National Defence to create a lean, more efficient organization while freeing up money or staff to support other military capabilities. It was started last year under the Conservative government but has continued under the Liberals.

The focus is on the services offered by the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment, or AETE, in Cold Lake, Alta.

http://www.pinchercreekecho.com/2016...ing-to-ontario

Why am I not the least bit surprised...

Most won't realize it but AETE was moved to Alberta to take advantage of the worlds largest low fly zone and supersonic testing area, integral to testing high performance aircraft. In addition part of the Cold Lake base is the Primrose weapons range, one of the largest. Part of AETE's job is to test new weapons and targeting systems, can't do that without a range and neither Ottawa or Gatineau has one or one that is even remotely comparable.

This is a government that is just gutting the last advanced aerospace capability out of Alberta and moving it for their political benefit IMO.

This is flat shameful.

IMO

T

I'd rather C2E than work!

I noticed it says this was started under the previous conservative government. Maybe JT could undo the plan like he is undoing other con changes.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 27-04-2016 at 03:15 AM.

If they are looking to relocate to a more populous are for attracting talent, is there an opportunity for EIA to step in as an option?

Namao might have made sense, but someone built a building across the runway right?
    i love lamp

^ it is a fair distance to the Primrose Lake testing range, but I like the thought.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Aerospace testing facilities will be moved, and not the entire Cold Lake air force Base. They have trouble attracting qualified professionals to work in a location so distant from a major population center.

Now before we doom, gloom, and pooh pooh...

The article just says investigating. There are many options on the table, and relocation is but one of them. I am sure that the amenities and capabilities mentioned are well known to the selection teams, and are brought up regularly in meetings/sessions...

I am certain that the availability of qualified resources does come into play, especially if they look at private sector contractors. I know from personal experience that recruiting professionals for Edmonton can be challenging, I can only imagine how hard it would be in Cold Lake. Sure, some will move for the opportunity...but until you've actually played the recruiting game...you don't know how hard it is to seal the deal...especially if the spouse/partner or kids don't want to go. So, if a relocation closer to private sector clusters where experts are easier to recruit...and especially RETAIN...is an option, I can see the arguments being made.

If the organization stays with military FTE's, then it could still stay and take advantage of everything in place...but as the article says...they need to find efficiencies. The Canadian Forces are not immune to the realities of 2016...and the need to become more efficient.

The real travesty would be if our MP's and MLA's/Premier and our own private sector companies/entrepreneurs don't step up and look at expanding our aerospace industry and capabilities. We've often been guilty of ignoring that sector in Alberta because we were too focused on Oil. Now...hmmm
    Now...I am not downplaying the inevitable and predictable political pandering that is going on behind the scenes. A certain Herc contract comes to mind...so I get some pessimism.
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by jason403 View Post
    Aerospace testing facilities will be moved, and not the entire Cold Lake air force Base. They have trouble attracting qualified professionals to work in a location so distant from a major population center.
    Correct only AETE.

Which was moved there in the first place to be able to flight test on a scale that is needed for military aircraft. Gatineau? Ottawa? Knowing the airspace...the airspace and regulatory issues even the thought is incredibly inefficient, ineffective and increased risk.

Part of Aerospace testing for the military is live fire...and where is that going to happen in the above locations.

AETE's record speaks for itself, it is one of the most efficient, effective military testing arms anywhere. Attracting qualified personal...if the personal are military its called orders. if they are civilian...it's called attraction and award...not degradation of an effective operational entity.

Comes back to an old experession
    - If it makes no business sense...
    - If it makes no economic sense...
    - If it lacks common sense...

It's politics

And where is the local MLA, the Provincial Government, the Media...we get this from the Pincher Creek echo? Really?

IMO

T