Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 4,301 to 4,362 of 4362

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

Palling around with someone so radical that Rebel Media didn't want anything to do with them probably won't bother the hard core Conservative base but for other voters, it's more than just a distraction as Scheer calls it.

Faith Goldy Friendship Prompts Tory Candidate To Bail From Scheer Event
    The Conservative leader called a string of candidate revelations a distraction.

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer’s plans for a “down day” to take his family to a wave pool were dampened Saturday after he was pressed about an Ottawa-area candidate’s friendship with white supremacist Faith Goldy.

Scheer faced new questions about his party’s links with Goldy after an undated video surfaced showing a reality show pilot pitched by the Kanata-Carleton candidate Justina McCaffrey and the controversial far-right figure.

McCaffrey, a wedding dress designer, describes Goldy as “wonderful” in the video.

“I have obviously made it clear that I won’t have anything to do with that individual,” Scheer said about Goldy at an event to support McCaffrey’s campaign in Kanata, Ont. He called the video a distraction.

McCaffrey, who was at the event to deliver introductory remarks, left abruptly and avoided reporters’ questions.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b00d6905998f11
    A brief history of the Conservatives relationship with white nationalist Faith Goldy.

From April.

Facebook’s White Nationalist Ban Spotlights Conservatives’ Faith Goldy Ties
    The former Rebel Media personality was finally banned from the platform, but she leaves behind a long legacy of rubbing shoulders with Canada’s most powerful conservatives.

While most Conservatives have kept a wide berth from Goldy and her associates since her white nationalism became explicit, the most powerful Conservative in the country has not. Recently Scheer spoke at a Yellow Vest rally in Ottawa, not too long after he finished Goldy addressed the same crowd. Further to that, Scheer’s connection to the Rebel and their far-right figures is one that’s impossible to ignore. The campaign manager for Scheer’s successful leadership bid and the chair of the Conservative election campaign is Hamish Marshall, a corporate director of the Rebel. Marshall has since stepped away from the Rebel and said he didn’t have an editorial role at the company.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/g...ldy-connection

It makes you wonder if the federal Conservatives even bother to vet their candidates or if they just don't care. Or maybe what the Ontation PCs see as a problem, Scheer sees as a plus.

Tory candidate Scheer defended deemed 'extremely controversial and problematic' in 2016 vetting report

"OTTAWA - A candidate running for Andrew Scheer’s Conservatives was deemed by the party's provincial counterpart to be "extremely controversial and problematic" and accused of promoting online conspiracy theories, according to a past vetting report obtained by CTV News.

Ghada Melek, the federal candidate for Mississauga-Streetsville -- who Scheer has attended events with and spent part his first week of the election campaign defending -- was given a "strict red light" recommendation in 2016 when she was looking to run for the Ontario Progressive Conservatives.

"This recommendation is a strict red light. There are many anti-gay/LGBT and even sterilization posts that make this candidate extremely controversial and problematic,” said an email attached to the 2016 vetting report and sent to the Ontario PC party leadership.

I don't think I can stress enough that this candidate should not be approved," the email concluded.

The pages of the report, obtained by CTV News, highlight multiple posts that appear to be from Melek’s social media accounts, sharing offensive or controversial articles on a range of topics, from gender-neutral washrooms and the Ontario sex-education curriculum, to depopulation, family values, and evolution."

https://election.ctvnews.ca/tory-can...port-1.4593683

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

they vet them as well - or as poorly - as the liberals and the ndp.

they are pretty much all selected from within by their local constituencies based on their ongoing involvement and the number of people they know and vice versa.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

You'd think that there would be some overlap and that a provincial "strict red light" would somehow show up for the feds.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    You'd think that there would be some overlap and that a provincial "strict red light" would somehow show up for the feds.
    you'd think. except who do you think would control those red lights that doesn't have a vested interest in not seeing them lit or lit for the wrong reasons?

i would love to be a fly on the wall watching the red light debate on who controls the switches if libby davies ever decided to contest the ndp vancouver east nomination contest against jenny kwan...
    Last edited by kcantor; 15-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Trudeau is desparate digging up dirt on someone from over 20 years ago. Voters are not that gulible anymore.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Trudeau is desparate digging up dirt on someone from over 20 years ago. Voters are not that gulible anymore.
    Its ridiculous, he doesn't show up for a debate, but he's the dishonest liar, who is fit to run this country.
    The bar is set pretty low.
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Lets remember that Trudork isn't the only PM that hasn't shown up for a leadership debate. However its been mostly Liberals that don't show up for a televised debate since these debates have been televised since 1968.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Lets remember that Trudork isn't the only PM that hasn't shown up for a leadership debate. However its been mostly Liberals that don't show up for a televised debate since these debates have been televised since 1968.
    He's an @sshole, that panders to Quebec.
    Animals are my passion.

And yet he still maintains a 10% lead over Scheer for who people prefer as PM even though the parties are pretty much neck and neck.

And Scheer has been caught in a number of lies, such as about refugees who show up at the border are jumping the queue. Which they aren't. Or calling the UN compact on immigration as legally binding, which it isn't.

Liberals, Tories in tight race, though Trudeau remains preferred PM: Nanos survey

The Nanos survey also asked eligible voters: Of the current federal political party leaders, could you please rank your top two current local preferences for prime minister?

Nearly 35 per cent of respondents said they preferred Trudeau, while close to 25 per cent said they preferred Conservative leader Andrew Scheer for prime minister.

Trudeau maintains an advantage on the preferred prime minister measure, but one in five remain unsure, Nanos said. Just over 19 per cent of those interviewed said they did not know which party leader they preferred for prime minister.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh was preferred by 9 per cent of those surveyed, followed by Green Party Leader Elizabeth May with 8 per cent.

Maxime Bernier, who left the Conservative Party last year and founded the People’s Party of Canada, has support from 3 per cent of those surveyed, while 2 per cent said they preferred Bloc Quebecois’s Yves-Francois Blanchet.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/liberals...rvey-1.4593566
    Reality check: Scheer’s claim about refugees ‘jumping the queue’ is false
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5899144/r...pyOrm4Flt2DV50

Ex-Harper immigration minister calls out Scheer over 'factually incorrect' statements on UN migration pact
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ale...pact-1.4932698

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    ...and panders to Alberta.

Did Scheer buy a pipeline company lately?

When it comes to @ssholes, you are front and center.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Its ridiculous, he doesn't show up for a debate, but he's the dishonest liar, who is fit to run this country.
    The bar is set pretty low.
    Double standard much?

Coming from a virulent Trump supporter, that is pretty rich of you.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Justin Trudeau in Edmonton speaking this week:

"This province and its people matter"

Yet one month before the election at least 10 Alberta ridings do not have a Liberal Candidate.

Ironically with Trudeaus statement occurring at the exact moment he was extolling Alberta matters while skipping a leadership debate (again)

This is the new way of govt promised by Justin Trudeau brought to you by the Liberal party.

I can just feel the elevation of democratic process in this.

Trudeaumania only requires (apparently) JT's name on every riding. The cardboard candidates in each riding are seen to be so immaterial that they don't exist at present.

This from the ruling party that CALLED the election, thus it not being any electoral surprise.

Very clearly it wasn't seen as important, by JT or the liberal party, to even have liberal candidates in these ridings, in Alberta.

Read between the lines.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Now he wont take questions from reporters what an effin *****! All because they dare ask about SNC
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Seems like pipelines should be built east/ west in Canada before we start shipping the oil south. Can the feds override the courts when it comes to national security ? What's Eastern Canada going to do in the event of a supply disruption ? Hopefully not navel gaze and wonder why we do not have any pipelines going east/west.

no, the The Supreme Court has the ultimate power of judicial review over Canadian federal and provincial laws' constitutional validity
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Also, Quebec has been sourcing more and more Alberta Oil... 44% in 2017

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...c-gets-its-oil

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    no, the The Supreme Court has the ultimate power of judicial review over Canadian federal and provincial laws' constitutional validity
    I believe they can use the Notwithstanding Clause, aka the nuclear option.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Read between the lines.
    How much effort would you like the Federal Liberal Party to waste on an Alberta that'll keep voting conservative no matter what?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I assumed only the provinces could invoke the Notwithstanding Clause and not the Feds. So the federal government has to answer to the Supreme Court in the case of national security ?

What about the October Crisis, were not some measures enacted by the Govt at the time which overrode elements of the constitution ?

I am also assuming that that if a clear and urgent threat exists, biological/ nuclear etc ( I know, not what we are talking about, but interesting still) the govt/ RCMP/ Canadian Forces can act.

A bit like the states, as powerful as they are individually, the Federal government can act unilaterally in the case of national interest. Anyways, I find it surprising that we do not have a SPR, just like they do in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    Only the provinces can invoke the notwithstanding clause.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    I assumed only the provinces could invoke the Notwithstanding Clause and not the Feds. So the federal government has to answer to the Supreme Court in the case of national security ?

What about the October Crisis, were not some measures enacted by the Govt at the time which overrode elements of the constitution ?

I am also assuming that that if a clear and urgent threat exists, biological/ nuclear etc ( I know, not what we are talking about, but interesting still) the govt/ RCMP/ Canadian Forces can act.

A bit like the states, as powerful as they are individually, the Federal government can act unilaterally in the case of national interest. Anyways, I find it surprising that we do not have a SPR, just like they do in the states.

you are referring to the War Measures act. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobe...ry_involvement
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Measures_Act

Palling around with someone so radical that Rebel Media didn't want anything to do with them probably won't bother the hard core Conservative base but for other voters, it's more than just a distraction as Scheer calls it.

Faith Goldy Friendship Prompts Tory Candidate To Bail From Scheer Event
    The Conservative leader called a string of candidate revelations a distraction.

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer’s plans for a “down day” to take his family to a wave pool were dampened Saturday after he was pressed about an Ottawa-area candidate’s friendship with white supremacist Faith Goldy.

Scheer faced new questions about his party’s links with Goldy after an undated video surfaced showing a reality show pilot pitched by the Kanata-Carleton candidate Justina McCaffrey and the controversial far-right figure.

McCaffrey, a wedding dress designer, describes Goldy as “wonderful” in the video.

“I have obviously made it clear that I won’t have anything to do with that individual,” Scheer said about Goldy at an event to support McCaffrey’s campaign in Kanata, Ont. He called the video a distraction.

McCaffrey, who was at the event to deliver introductory remarks, left abruptly and avoided reporters’ questions.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b00d6905998f11
    A brief history of the Conservatives relationship with white nationalist Faith Goldy.

From April.

Facebook’s White Nationalist Ban Spotlights Conservatives’ Faith Goldy Ties
    The former Rebel Media personality was finally banned from the platform, but she leaves behind a long legacy of rubbing shoulders with Canada’s most powerful conservatives.

While most Conservatives have kept a wide berth from Goldy and her associates since her white nationalism became explicit, the most powerful Conservative in the country has not. Recently Scheer spoke at a Yellow Vest rally in Ottawa, not too long after he finished Goldy addressed the same crowd. Further to that, Scheer’s connection to the Rebel and their far-right figures is one that’s impossible to ignore. The campaign manager for Scheer’s successful leadership bid and the chair of the Conservative election campaign is Hamish Marshall, a corporate director of the Rebel. Marshall has since stepped away from the Rebel and said he didn’t have an editorial role at the company.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/g...ldy-connection

Apparently this gal makes the rounds, even with the golden child, JT.

Goldy’s new prominence as a campaign boogeywoman might now be backfiring on their own leader.

“Only one federal party leader has bought me drinks at Ottawa’s Chateau Laurier,” Goldy tweeted Monday, then deleted. “Any guesses?” Attached was a 2014 image of her beside Trudeau as she asked him questions for Sun Media, which Trudeau was then boycotting because of crude comments about his family broadcasted by Ezra Levant. That image in turn had been tweeted by political consultant Warren Kinsella, captioned: “Apparently some other politicians have ’shared a platform’ with Faith Goldy. Awkward.”

“Fact check this one for us,” the Conservative Party tweeted Monday, linking to Goldy’s own veiled claim that Trudeau once bought her drinks.

Goldy did not respond to invitations to comment on Monday. In an earlier interview with the National Post in April 2019, however, she described having drinks with Trudeau and two of her female friends in Ottawa in about 2010.

She could not recall a specific date, but said it was at a biennial convention when Michael Ignatieff was the leader and Trudeau widely known to be a contender.
    After Trudeau tried and failed to get them all into a suite party, the four went instead to Zoe’s Lounge, at Trudeau’s invitation, Goldy said.
    “He invited us out for drinks,” Goldy said.

One of her friends was a Liberal supporter. Goldy herself was not yet notorious as a white nationalist. At the time, she was a University of Toronto political science student and what she described as the token young person on Sun TV, but she was at the conference as media from a school journal she edited.
    “Once upon a time I was part of polite society,” Goldy said. She described how the conversation over drinks turned to abortion, and that her friend expressed a pro-choice view, which Trudeau strongly and vociferously agreed with, even rising to stand with one foot on a winged chair in a pose she compared to the Captain Morgan rum logo.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Read between the lines.
    How much effort would you like the Federal Liberal Party to waste on an Alberta that'll keep voting conservative no matter what?
    Better question would be how do you keep the Fibs from buying Quebec votes every election?

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....tanding-clause

Section 33 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, known as the notwithstanding clause, is part of the Constitution of Canada. Also known as the override clause, Section 33 allows federal, provincial or territorial governments to temporarily override, or bypass, certain Charter rights.
    Emphasis mine.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Scheer wasn't in any position to buy a pipeline company. And how's that working out for us so far? Must be some mighty big interest payments on a loan that large. It's like buying a house that you can't live in.

Running a campaign like that didn't work so well for Notley's NDP in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Better question would be how do you keep the Fibs from buying Quebec votes every election?
    Yeah! Why do they keep voting for parties who want to act in their best interests? Don't they know the true method for a democracy is to pick one party, vote for them over & over & over & over again, regardless of performance, forever & ever?

Sheesh. Damn Quebec! Learn how to play the game!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Scheer wasn't in any position to buy a pipeline company. And how's that working out for us so far? Must be some mighty big interest payments on a loan that large. It's like buying a house that you can't live in.
    Loan? Didn’t he just write KM a cheque for 4.5B of taxpayer funds?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Trudeau will win, even before the votes from western Canada are counted. His dad was pm for 16 years and I believe jr will likely follow suit

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

Loan? Didn’t he just write KM a cheque for 4.5B of taxpayer funds?
    Probably loan is incorrect. Debt is the correct word. Does it make it sound any better?

According to this, the Federal gov can:

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

According to this, the Federal gov can:

true enough although they never have.

it's also worth noting that even if they do - and even when the provinces do - it is not a permanent invocation. the notwithstanding clause is considered a temporary measure and even when invoked cannot be for a period longer than 5 years. while it can be "renewed" it's still not a long-term resolution, it's just kicking the can down the road.

Some of those cans are now in their 31st year of being kicked down the road & no end in sight. While it may be a temporary measure in the law, it's effectively as permanent as an electorate wishes it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Trudeau will win, even before the votes from western Canada are counted. His dad was pm for 16 years and I believe jr will likely follow suit
    Quite possibly. Alberta seems to be mostly comfortable complaining in opposition on the outside, looking in and seems to have a particular issue with the name Trudeau. If his name was Smith, he could probably get half a dozen seats in Alberta or more.

Running a campaign like that didn't work so well for Notley's NDP in the spring.
    Oh no, the Conservatives never bring up anything from 20 years ago or more, ahem NEP.

I suspect it works better when the election is close and voters are open to voting for more than one party.

I have to wonder how well Scheer vetted his candidates, particularly the one that the Ontario PC's red lighted and he went ahead with anyways.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Some of those cans are now in their 31st year of being kicked down the road & no end in sight. While it may be a temporary measure in the law, it's effectively as permanent as an electorate wishes it to be.
    if your referring to quebec's language law on advertising and signage, 1988's bill 178 - for which the clause was invoked - was replaced 5 years later when it came up for renewal by bill 86 which does comply with charter rights.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    if your referring to quebec's language law on advertising and signage, 1988's bill 178 - for which the clause was invoked - was replaced 5 years later when it came up for renewal by bill 86 which does comply with charter rights.
    Aw crap, I spaced out on 86.

That 86'es that part of my argument as a real-world example, but legally the clause can be used again & again in successive 5 year chunks, so long as the successive governments choose to renew it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Why don't you read the Trans Mountain financial statements since the feds bought the pipeline before making uninformed comments?

Audited financial statements for 2018 here: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/t...08#asset:16111

Unaudited six month statements for first two quarters of 2019 here: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/t...24#asset:17234

Bottom line. The existing pipeline unburdened by the expansion project is a solid money maker. All the risk is in the expansion project.

Considering how vilified Trudeau is in Alberta, the decision to buy Trans Mountain to keep the expansion project alive does seem puzzling on many levels.

Haters got to hate. It's their job.

Scheer and the Conservatives lie again, Get called on it by the RCMP.

Conservatives forced to delete tweet alleging Trudeau under RCMP investigation
    Rick Mercer also demands Tories remove Tweet claiming comedian wants young people to 'vote Conservative'

The Conservatives were forced Tuesday to remove two social media posts claiming the RCMP had confirmed it was investigating Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau over the SNC-Lavalin affair.

The tweets came shortly after RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki held a press conference in Ottawa to discuss the arrest of Cameron Ortis, the director general of the RCMP's national intelligence co-ordination centre, on allegations of spying.

At the end of the press conference, Lucki was asked if the RCMP wanted Trudeau to waive cabinet confidentiality so the force could continue examining whether there was obstruction of justice in the case of SNC-Lavalin and Trudeau's former attorney general, Jody Wilson-Raybould.

"Today we're here for Mr. Ortis's investigation. So I don't want to comment very much," she said. "We do take all investigations very seriously and investigate to the fullest."

Immediately after that statement, Brock Harrison, director of communications for Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer, posted on Twitter that the RCMP had just confirmed Trudeau was under investigation by the Mounties.

A tweet from the Conservative Party headquarters swiftly followed suit: "Breaking: RCMP confirms Justin Trudeau is under investigation for the SNC-Lavalin corruption scandal."

Within minutes, Scheer himself repeated Lucki's words at a campaign rally in Winnipeg and suggested Trudeau was now officially under investigation.

That prompted the RCMP to issue a statement clarifying the commissioner's earlier remarks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tor...weet-1.5287471

However, speaking of politicians being investigated by the RCMP (for real this time)

Police probe into UCP voter fraud allegations reaches federal Conservatives

EDMONTON—Alberta RCMP have been probing allegations of voter fraud plaguing the United Conservative Party, and the investigation has now reached at least one federal Conservative candidate.

In response to questions about the investigation into the 2017 UCP leadership race, a spokesperson with the Conservative Party of Canada confirmed in an email Wednesday that Tim Uppal has met with police.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...star_web_ymbii
    Last edited by kkozoriz; Today at 03:14 AM.

C2E SME

I like how in one breath you chastise the Federal Conservatives for jumping to conclusions about Trudeau personally being investigated, and in the next do the exact same thing with Uppal. There is no indication that he personally is under investigation in that story.

Liberals and Trudeau performance review, October 2019

Trudeau jumps ahead of Scheer as voters’ choice for best prime minister
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5913686/c...&utm_referrer=

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has leapt ahead of his rival, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer, in Canadians’ estimations of whom would make the best prime minister, a new poll suggests.

According to an Ipsos poll conducted exclusively for Global News and La Presse between Sept. 11 and 13, 37 per cent of Canadians surveyed said they think Trudeau is best suited for the role of prime minister — a seven-point jump compared to mid-August.

In comparison, 30 per cent said the same about Scheer. That marked a drop of two per cent for the Tory leader since the same time last month

Animals are my passion.

https://blog.338canada.com/

(Data includes the Nanos info referenced in HL's post)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I like how in one breath you chastise the Federal Conservatives for jumping to conclusions about Trudeau personally being investigated, and in the next do the exact same thing with Uppal. There is no indication that he personally is under investigation in that story.
    I agree with you kcantor on the premise but point out a difference in that kkozoriz is just a poster making comments, but Scheer is running for office.

There is a higher standard when you have a leader with a national platform who make erroneous statements about another leader. This is a reason why I am having great difficulty as a conservative to accept that Scheer is anything else but a inept and irresponsible shadow of Stephen Harper, whose legacy was full of traits that included unbridled power that the Courts found unconstitutional, overtly political acts and a very heavy handed PMO.

If Scheer already acts like he is Stephen Harper Jr. Then what would he be like with a conservative majority in a few years in office? Donald Trump Lite 2.0?

Not sure if anyone else feels the same, but this feels like one of those elections with no good options to vote.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...eral-campaign/

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is delaying the release of independent reports on the cost of his promises and will not be submitting all of his election pledges for review by the Parliamentary Budget Officer.

It is the first election campaign in which political parties have the option of submitting potential campaign promises to the PBO in confidence for an analysis of the estimated cost. If the party decides to go ahead with the idea, it can then authorize the PBO to post its analysis online.

The Liberals legislated the new rules after promising the change in their 2015 platform, which said it would “help Canadians make informed decisions during elections.”

However, the Liberal campaign team said the party is only submitting “big ticket” proposals to the PBO for costing. The party is also delaying the release of related PBO reports until the full platform is released because some promises are connected and releasing costing reports individually “wouldn’t tell the whole story.”

^ Trudeau is very fortunate the other party leaders are LAME.

Just imagine if Rona Ambrose was allowed to run and win the Conservative leadership race? She would be the clear favourite to be the next PM.

Dumb Conservatives always pick horrible leaders. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

C2E SME

Most of the front runners for both the NDP and C's figured that Trudeau would probably be a shoe in for a second term, so they sat out the leadership contests and let caretaker candidates run. If the C's had a leader who wasn't so mediocre they'd be running away with this thing, I would think.

And the NDP doomed themselves by picking Singh, if only because racism/bigotry is strong in Quebec where most of their seats are/were and it was entirely predictable that their support would collapse there with a turban-wearing leader. This is a province, after all, that just passed an extremely popular law banning public servants from wearing "religious symbols", after having a crucifix dangling over it's "national" assembly for a century. It's sad that that would be a potential consideration in choosing their leadership candidate, but the results speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Snail
    Not sure if anyone else feels the same, but this feels like one of those elections with no good options to vote.

Pretty much. Many people I speak with feel the same, although this being Alberta, there's some pretty strong negative feelings for Trudeau in particular, if not the Liberal party or policies in general. And for me it's almost kind of the reverse for Scheer. I don't have any big concerns with him as he seems like a decent enough guy. But I am concerned that the Conservatives are harboring a lot of far-right, populist type candidates. Whether that would be reflected in policy is anyone's guess, but so far their platform seems reasonable enough. With the exception of them totally dropping the ball on putting forward a climate plan that would actually accomplish a damn thing.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; Today at 10:25 AM.

^^ Good ol' Rona "Voted to restrict women's rights while Minister for the Status of Women" Ambrose.
    Last edited by noodle; Today at 10:24 AM.

Chrystia Freeland would be someone I would vote for as she seems to be the smartest person on Parliament Hill

C2E SME

Chrystia Freeland would be someone I would vote for as she seems to be the smartest person on Parliament Hill
    Agreed, but intelligence isn't necessarily the best measure of a politician's effectiveness. See: Ignatieff and/or Dion. She's been excellent in cabinet, but that's no guarantee she'd be a good leader.

Many voters, being as fickle as they are, often place, albeit mainly subconsciously, persona above substance. In this regard Scheer, with his general awkwardness and hokey air about him, comes across as flat as a pancake. About as much charisma as a sheet of wet wallpaper.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Whereas JT, comes across as creepy groper. He was far to familiar with Bianca Andreescu. He was all over twitter, and not for good reasons, I wish he knew how a microphone worked, no need to YELL,they do the work for you.
    Animals are my passion.

The difference is that one is involved in an RCMP investigation and the other one isn't.

Being interviewed as part of an investigations means that you are involved in it, perhaps not as a subject of the investigation, but still part of the investigation.

^^ Good ol' Rona "Voted to restrict women's rights while Minister for the Status of Women" Ambrose.
    I am definitely not a fan of Rona. But she carried herself and her party well as the interim leader of the opposition. She is better than the guy they have now.

Having Sheer as the leader is the best the Cons can do? Same with Ontario, is Rob Ford the best the Cons can do?

^ doug ford, but same point

C2E SME

The difference is that one is involved in an RCMP investigation and the other one isn't.

Being interviewed as part of an investigations means that you are involved in it, perhaps not as a subject of the investigation, but still part of the investigation.
    Man are you ever blinded by ideology. BOTH the Federal Liberals (for SNC) and the UCP (for shady practices in their leadership race) are under investigation. Neither Trudeau or Uppal are specifically being investigated themselves. This isn't that hard to understand.

No, the UCP are under investigation, while the Liberal-SNC Lavalin brouhaha is being "examined". There's an important & crucial difference between the two & the RCMP have been very explicit in not using the word "investigation" when it comes to the Liberals.

The RCMP has said it’s examining the SNC-Lavalin scandal “carefully” following a report from the ethics commissioner that found that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau violated the Conflict of Interest Act.“The RCMP is examining this matter carefully with all available information and will take appropriate actions as required,” spokesperson Chantal Payette said in a statement to Global News in August.
    “It would be inappropriate for us to provide anymore comments on this matter at this time.”
    However, an examination is not the same thing as a formal investigation.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5915114/r....google.com%2F

And I have said before, if a criminal investigation is warranted, I support that. And if charges are laid, I support that as well. However, JWR herself has said that she does not believe that Trudeau and the PMOs actions were criminal.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Sheesh. What do the federal Conservatives have against pipelines to tidewater and Alberta petrochemical jobs?

Today, Sheer announced the following:

https://www.conservative.ca/scheer-t...-to-canadians/

Talk about taking Alberta for granted. We will be the hardest hit by these cancellations which include:
    * stopping the under construction Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project in its tracks by cancelling the Kinder Morgan pipeline "nationalization."
    * a federal contribution of $49 million to a $4.5 billion petrochemical complex in the Industrial Heartland: https://www.ckpcpolymers.com/complex
    * a federal contribution of $35 million to Nova Chemicals. While this funding is for an expansion in Ontario, Nova Chemicals is headquartered in Calgary and has major petrochemical operations in Joffre east of Lacombe: http://www.novachem.com/Pages/joffre/joffre.aspx

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344