Thread: Lowes to buy Rona for $3.2 billion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Lowes to buy Rona for $3.2 billion

In a deal it calls “very much pro-Canada”, U.S. hardware giant Lowe’s Cos. said Wednesday it has agreed to buy rival Rona Inc. for $3.2 billion in cash to create one of Canada’s biggest home-improvement retailers.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...rovement-giant
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

All approved - first Rona buys Totem, now Lowes buys Rona:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/rona-...we-s-1.2840118

I expect Rona stores will be rebranded Lowes before long. Its Lowes v Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

I expect Rona stores will be rebranded Lowes before long. Its Lowes v Home Depot.
    As well I expect some Rona stores to close. In the West End there is a recently opened Rona across Stony Plain Rd from Lowes. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Rona on Whitemud & Calgary Trail.

^I guess another box store will move in, might be interesting to see what happens the real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post

As well I expect some Rona stores to close. In the West End there is a recently opened Rona across Stony Plain Rd from Lowes. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Rona on Whitemud & Calgary Trail.

Any word if Home Depot is buying Lowes???
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Having shopped at all three I generally prefer Home Depot, although the fact it has a location at Westmount Mall is a big factor for me.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

The Lowes in the US have an absolutely vast selection.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I have been in the westend Lowes and can't believe the repeated number of pages for customer service in a certain area of the store. These pages are repeated 3 or 4 times,and I am sure that they have a large percentage of customers that give up and walk out.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It was 2004 when Rona bought Totem. The operations at Totem remained quite independent until just a few years ago. When the new paint went up the Totem stores quickly lost there staff and became indistinguishable poorer service operations.

What would help in Lowes and Home Depot or other big box stores is an electronic directory of where you can find what you're looking for. Canadian Tire has this in some stores and it is very useful if it is kept up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The Lowes in the US have an absolutely vast selection.
    I've liked the Lowes here but they're too far for me to go when there's a Home Depot and Canadian Tire within a few blocks of my house.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I have been in the westend Lowes and can't believe the repeated number of pages for customer service in a certain area of the store. These pages are repeated 3 or 4 times,and I am sure that they have a large percentage of customers that give up and walk out.
    Is there really any customer service anywhere these days.

I was at Rona on Monday at the contractor desk and the girl was working and the four guys were just fooling around and yacking.

1. Youtube
    2. Self Serve Checkouts

Eventually siri or similar might be able to help too. Only old folks will need people soon.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-03-2016 at 02:40 PM.

I was at Rona on Monday at the contractor desk and the girl was working and the four guys were just fooling around and yacking.
    You're correct. You can't complain about customer service,because there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    What would help in Lowes and Home Depot or other big box stores is an electronic directory of where you can find what you're looking for. Canadian Tire has this in some stores and it is very useful if it is kept up to date.
    Because there is no one around who knows anything.

Years ago, Home Depot touted that they had professional trades people in each department. Now they have some dude who has never hammered a nail into anything except his gf.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Because there is no one around who knows anything.

Years ago, Home Depot touted that they had professional trades people in each department. Now they have some dude who has never hammered a nail into anything except his gf.
    Comment of the day award goes to you!

Job No 235103082-001
    Description: To continue to operate a Warehouse Sales Use (Lowe's) and to construct interior and exterior alterations (facade improvements, shade and canopy structure over garden centre and increased fence height).
    Plan 9824979 Blk 111 Lot B
    Applicant: KWA SITE DEVELOPMENT CONSULTING INC.
    Create Date: 11/15/2016 1:46:57 PM

The new lowes on manning is pretty okay all things considered, have had better service there than any other big box store. Usually I get stuff from whole salers but if it's 9:24PM and I need a something right away (because I tend to be more productive at midnight than in the afternoon) they can't be beat. It may be new store shine but by far the best experience of reno/builder big box store that I've personally encountered recently (emphasis on 'personally experienced').