Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tone of conversation

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    @post 196

I would consider a reply like SDM's out-of-the-blue obnoxious, unless there were some sort of history between the two posters, where they had already been constantly at each other's throats for a period. But even then, if someone want to continue with that sort of vendetta, it's a good idea to indicate that context in the reply, eg. "And you were the guy calling MY idea's stupid in that other thread?!"

But as I've said before, C2E is a Montessori daycare compared to almost any other discussion forum that I've been on.

"unless there were some sort of history between the two posters, where they had already been constantly at each other's throats" I'm working on that. I've led a vendetta free life, but won't live forever.

If I was to use the ignore feature on this board, SDM would probably be the only one I add. I've received physical threats, and non-stop personal attacks from this guy. I know I've had my back n forths with IanO, and I'm no saint, but this guy takes the cake in my mind.

Rather than using the ignore feature, I just selectively ignore/scroll past his contentless drivel. He seems to get a kick out of being the forum cop. Don't post that here, post that here.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Comments like SDM just confirm the posters here that can't defend a position. The attack, chronic, is used instead of an actual rebuttal, or reply.

More technically its Confirmation bias, circular tautology, or even cognitive dissonance on display.

Not sure why SDM would figure a reply like that is required. Silly, stupid idea would suffice...
    Attacking sometimes works quite well - that's why it is used. It serves as an effective distraction too. However, "sorry, silly stupid idea" still doesn't seem to meet the sniff test either as it doesn't suffice in terms thoughtful or intelligent constructive criticism. Unfortunately, it's like the non sequiturs such as; 'you can't compare' apples to oranges, Trump to Hitler, Quayle to Kennedy, women's experiences to men's, and so on.
    I was just jk around. Thus the smiley. Agree with your expressed concern, just to be clear.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Got an interesting one here. Involving my own posting, so admittedly maybe that's why I find it interesting. So, here's my posting (minus photos) and Sonic Death Monkey's response to my posting.

"just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are" - Sonic Death Monkey.

I've seen this style of conversation used many times on c2e.

Your thoughts and impressions people? They are just words, so do they add worthwhile "dramatic effect", humour, spunk, etc. or is there a better way to deal with comments you feel waste your time, or challenge your lack of fun and humour, etc.?

Re-purpose of Old Remand Centre
    I was thinking about the lack of imagination being applied to the old remand building when I had the thought:

What would it look like with a high peak roofline like the Hotel MacDonald?

That, or a big circular dish as you'd see in Jetsen's or other sci-for futuristic cartoons and shoes.

You can see how the old annex was a "total fail" because of the flat roof. Put a gable / peaked roof on the old remand and imagine the visual difference that would make.

I just took s few seconds to pull up photos but a close match might show the potential similarities and potential mods to the remand that might make it an interesting building

Anyone here with any good creative rendering skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really don't see the point in putting a Hotel Mac roof on top of the Remand. It would be pig lipstick at best.
    And to even compare the two buildings just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-Remand-Centre

If it makes you feel any better I did read what you wrote about putting roof of the Remand Centre and I thought I would definitely change the look of the building and not in a bad way. It's unfortunate thought that the interior of the Remand is probably mostly concrete in between each cell and a real challenge to gut the interior (except the flooring). Otherwise your post in regards to the roof was a interesting one. SDM is a bit of an r sole.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If I was to use the ignore feature on this board, SDM would probably be the only one I add. I've received physical threats, and non-stop personal attacks from this guy. I know I've had my back n forths with IanO, and I'm no saint, but this guy takes the cake in my mind.

Rather than using the ignore feature, I just selectively ignore/scroll past his contentless drivel. He seems to get a kick out of being the forum cop. Don't post that here, post that here.
    I rather enjoy the banter. As long as we are both anonymous, no harm no matter how foul. Plus I brought some laughter into Sonic's world and then upped the ante (or should I say anti) by highlighting the conversational tactic on this thread. All's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Got an interesting one here. Involving my own posting, so admittedly maybe that's why I find it interesting. So, here's my posting (minus photos) and Sonic Death Monkey's response to my posting.

"just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are" - Sonic Death Monkey.

I've seen this style of conversation used many times on c2e.

Your thoughts and impressions people? They are just words, so do they add worthwhile "dramatic effect", humour, spunk, etc. or is there a better way to deal with comments you feel waste your time, or challenge your lack of fun and humour, etc.?

Re-purpose of Old Remand Centre
    I was thinking about the lack of imagination being applied to the old remand building when I had the thought:

What would it look like with a high peak roofline like the Hotel MacDonald?

That, or a big circular dish as you'd see in Jetsen's or other sci-for futuristic cartoons and shoes.

You can see how the old annex was a "total fail" because of the flat roof. Put a gable / peaked roof on the old remand and imagine the visual difference that would make.

I just took s few seconds to pull up photos but a close match might show the potential similarities and potential mods to the remand that might make it an interesting building

Anyone here with any good creative rendering skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really don't see the point in putting a Hotel Mac roof on top of the Remand. It would be pig lipstick at best.
    And to even compare the two buildings just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-Remand-Centre

If it makes you feel any better I did read what you wrote about putting roof of the Remand Centre and I thought I would definitely change the look of the building and not in a bad way. It's unfortunate thought that the interior of the Remand is probably mostly concrete in between each cell and a real challenge to gut the interior (except the flooring). Otherwise your post in regards to the roof was a interesting one. SDM is a bit of an r sole.
    Thanks for the civil response. I know it will never happen but recladding can alter impressions of buildings so hopefully it might spur constructive thought and maybe even elicit better, potentially realizable ideas. (All for the other thread.)

Honestly, I'd rather read the posters' actual opinions on the outside world, no matter how rudely expressed, than the never-ending complaints about others and justifications of oneself.

I have been rude, often -- both seriously and as a tactic -- and I have been insulted, equally often. Which came first is beside the point by now. So too is the question of whether I have given or taken offence. That's all.

Please, can we have as few conversations about tone as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather read the posters' actual opinions on the outside world, no matter how rudely expressed, than the never-ending complaints about others and justifications of oneself.

I have been rude, often -- both seriously and as a tactic -- and I have been insulted, equally often. Which came first is beside the point by now. So too is the question of whether I have given or taken offence. That's all.

Please, can we have as few conversations about tone as possible?
    They are all just words amongst mostly anonymous posters so there should be zero concern and zero personal impact among the anonymous. More importantly, such tactics shouldn't affect the progress of discourse in a thread.

Just like any racist, hate, swearing and other generally distasteful or even horrific language. Pretty much anything should go where individuals can't be hurt without their own consent. The sticks and stone rule should always prevail amongst anonymous posters. Then when thoughtless or hateful or tactless words are used, other participants should take to task those that don't seem to have the capacity to successfully and intelligently interact. That's how we all learn and solve problems, share ideas and positions and possibly even change minds and perspectives.

Unfortunately, hate laws and board rules about swearing, etc. can affect honest discourse and so those rules prevail despite my wishes for an anything goes forum in terms of speech that doesn't target identifiable individuals.

However, where people are identifiable, everyone should be aware that anything you say or do can be used against you - and others. So if you employ character or career assassination tactics against a named, identifiable poster then that's pretty much a personal assault.

Comments among anonymous posters however shouldn't be seen as much factual or truthful than comments among the fictional characters in a novel.
    Last edited by KC; 25-04-2017 at 10:06 AM.

^Disagree. Theres a difference between stating everybody should be immune to whatever gets stated online and this actually being the case. Some, or many, are impacted and don't wish for, or seek out that nature of exchange. Many people don't have much of a choice and for instance people infirm, handicapped, shut in, who may have something like this as their only interactional access. That online discussion for them isn't a choice, but a means of having civil contact, in an uncivil atmosphere..

Sometimes I get caught up in the heat of exchanges and respond in kind. Other times I think of people just lurking who would probably prefer seeing another nature of exchange and the thought that nothing here matters enough to have discord wins out.

Finally, I don't know about most people but I don't exist on a continual flat line of emotional neutral. There are times where the same type of comment could bother me, or bounce right off me. Any of us could even state that anonymous hostility directed at someone doesn't matter, but does it not matter all the time? In any moment? In any exchange? Certainly human reaction that I know in real life varies. Quite substantially on a case by case basis and time by time basis. To wit what one poster asked about whether or not the conflict had been ongoing. That's a valid point. A mere exchange can't be 3rd party evaluated on its own. Whats the backstory for it?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

People need to learn to stand up for themselves. After all, you shouldn't expect someone else to always do it for you, or complain when you aren't being protected from hurt feelings or harsh language.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    People need to learn to stand up for themselves. After all, you shouldn't expect someone else to always do it for you, or complain when you aren't being protected from hurt feelings or harsh language.
    Hey, most of us do fine in this regard. One doesn't post thousands of times online and for decades without developing some kind of armor if they didn't have it before. But I often reflect how much online denizens do, and don't make up a composite of the human race. I tend to think only a subset end up posting a lot.

On the basis of # of posts online I'm a habituated potential ahole resident. Didn't start out that way (which should come as a big surprise)

I've learned a lot in online interaction. But while not being able to ignore the social decay contained therein.

Hey, most of us do fine in this regard. One doesn't post thousands of times online and for decades without developing some kind of armor if they didn't have it before. But I often reflect how much online denizens do, and don't make up a composite of the human race. I tend to think only a subset end up posting a lot.

On the basis of # of posts online I'm a habituated potential ahole resident. Didn't start out that way (which should come as a big surprise)

I've learned a lot in online interaction. But while not being able to ignore the social decay contained therein.
    Excellent points. Fully agree that we are a subset, a minuscule subset. You have to wonder how many people have been turned away from offering up highly valuable information to all, simply because others on the forums here, see everything here, as being in a state of warfare rather than one of learning.

As for social decay, for generations almost all change has been perceived but one or variously by all, as social decay. From women wearing pants, to risqué humour, such unrestrained behaviour has always initially been perceived as destructive.

As for learning to stand up for themselves. I really don't know if people that likely come to a social forum to, say have a fun time talking and learning, also come with the expectation that that fun will be denied them and that those with sad, mean, closed-minded, fundamental, literal and other hostile attitudes will target their every word. (In other words, turn a leisure activity into something akin to a job.)
    Last edited by KC; 25-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Excellent points. Fully agree that we are a subset, a minuscule subset. You have to wonder how many people have been turned away from offering up highly valuable information to all, simply because others on the forums here, see everything here, as being in a state of warfare rather than one of learning.

As for social decay. For generations almost all change has been perceived but one or all, variously, as social decay.
    Thanks KC. This has other ramifications as well which are much greater. That politically politicians are more and more given to gauge approval, support, want, need from online respondents, discussion, etc. So that in a democracy online participatory part of representation has become grossly disproportional. I think as well that this has really befuddled pollsters, pundits, predictions. That a larger segment exists that are not necessarily voicing, voting in polls, etc online.

That's all OT to this thread but something I ponder. To the extent that political interaction and behavior itself, and decorum in parliament is now all online approved, for lack of better words. The Online process has helped further the erosion of political discourse. Being that political discourse already had a headstart on race to the bottom exchange.

ps when I mentioned social decay I'm not talking inter generation, intersex, or any variable like that. This isn't voiced as a "damn these young kids" argument. But in general that as conduct decays, discourse decays, interaction, and connection, decays albeit ironically with tech devises attached that aid such nonstop erosion of interaction.

"Social media" haha

Note: I kept editing. On my iPhone and I struggle to get thoughts straight while correcting incessant typos and grammatical errors.

Note: I kept editing. On my iPhone and I struggle to get thoughts straight while correcting incessant typos and grammatical errors.
    We both do, heh, when I say "Finally" in one of my posts as if to suggest that's my last point I often end up editing that. Its interesting that even that has been criticized, as if its dishonest, or tricky or posting one thing and then changing it. Its my thought process and the way I write. First its a draft, look it over, do corrections, add some weight (or driftwood depending on the observer) and then I'm done. I wonder if I end up editing this post..

As for social decay. For generations almost all change has been perceived but one or all, variously, as social decay.
    Thanks KC. This has other ramifications as well which are much greater. That politically politicians are more and more given to gauge approval, support, want, need from online respondents, discussion, etc. So that in a democracy online participatory part of representation has become grossly disproportional. I think as well that this has really befuddled pollsters, pundits, predictions. That a larger segment exists that are not necessarily voicing, voting in polls, etc online.

That's all OT to this thread but something I ponder. To the extent that political interaction and behavior itself, and decorum in parliament is now all online approved, for lack of better words. The Online process has helped further the erosion of political discourse. Being that political discourse already had a headstart on race to the bottom exchange.

ps when I mentioned social decay I'm not talking inter generation, intersex, or any variable like that. This isn't voiced as a "damn these young kids" argument. But in general that as conduct decays, discourse decays, interaction, and connection, decays albeit ironically with tech devises attached that aid such nonstop erosion of interaction.

"Social media" haha
    Yeah, whoever first called it social media clearly had to be severely socially dysfunctional - but highly optimistic.

We both do, heh, when I say "Finally" in one of my posts as if to suggest that's my last point I often end up editing that. Its interesting that even that has been criticized, as if its dishonest, or tricky or posting one thing and then changing it. Its my thought process and the way I write. First its a draft, look it over, do corrections, add some weight (or driftwood depending on the observer) and then I'm done. I wonder if I end up editing this post..
    On a couple old devices I have to post before going to a new tab (to say capture a quote) or the thread will refresh and I have to start over.

What a coincidence!

Politics chat on Reddit reads like it was written by 6-year-olds | New Scientist

By Douglas Heaven

People often comment that Brexit and the US presidential election have proved so divisive that it feels as if smart and civil political debate has taken a hit. Now a study looking at the quality of discourse in online political discussion groups over the last 10 years shows that conversations have indeed become both less sophisticated and more offensive than ever.

...”

https://www.newscientist.com/article...y-6-year-olds/

‘Trump effect’ has created a ‘partisan garbage fire’ of commentary written at 1st grade reading level: study
    By BOB BRIGHAM

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/tru...g-level-study/

The study:
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05303
    Last edited by KC; 05-12-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Remember folks: Reddit is the leading cause of Redditors.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

And you're not a true member of C2E until Noodlesque picks a fight with ya and quickly turns it into insults. Just because.

Useless Cuck.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    And you're not a true member of C2E until Noodlesque picks a fight with ya and quickly turns it into insults. Just because.

Useless Cuck.
    ???

and i suppose this post was meant to demonstrate how to have a more civilized conversation?

maybe you could use a different word to fall in love with before you post?

perhaps i could suggest “delete”?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Useless Cuck.
    ???
    and i suppose this post was meant to demonstrate how to have a more civilized conversation?
    He can't now since you and I have quoted him. Locked in.
    Kitlope just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

ok, fine if you believe that. I've seen noodle call people out for what they write... but then you add this

Useless Cuck.
    Is that how you demonstrate being the better poster? By doing the same thing you are calling out about?

Good grief.

Hahaha. More drive bys by our resident MRA/RedPiller.

Useless Cuck.
    My mistake, by our resident hypocritical MRA/RedPiller. Project much?

(Also, kinda pathetic to attempt to take the high ground while insulting someone on your ignore list. Stay classy, neckbeard.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Useless Cuck.
    ???
    He can't now since you and I have quoted him. Locked in.
    Kitlope just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning...
    the suggestion was for use before posting, not after.

and if early morning is going to be the excuse, he’d have to be an awfully early riser to use it...

Well, ok then, maybe Kitlopeque missed his afternoon nap time...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Beginning to realize why I took a break from C2E. I was hoping the petty sniping may have gone away but nope. :/

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I posted the following quote on another thread but think it’s maybe worthy of discussion on this thread.

How to defend against and respond to an ad hominem attack, both how to prevent your opponent from making the attack and how to respond? - Ted Wrigley - 2017 - Quora

First, let's understand why people make ad hominem type arguments in the first place. Fundamentally, there are three basic social reasons,* based loosely on Habermas' communications modes:

They believe that an argument is a simple competition in which winning or dominating is the goal. Personal understanding is unimportant, and mutual understanding is completely irrelevant; ad hominems are used to dominate the discussion through emotional reasoning. This is a manifestation of Habermas’ teleological reasoning mode.

They believe that the absolutely correct position is already known, to them. There is no true argument to make, only stubborn people who refuse to acknowledge the known truth. In the best case ad hominem attacks in this mode stiff-arm the discussion, pushing off any attempt to question the unquestionable by knocking over the people trying to do the questioning. In the worst case, they are mere trolling: refusing to engage the discussion in any meaningful way, and using the opportunity to annoy, degrade and harass opponents. These are versions of Habermas’ Normative reasoning modes.

They believe that argument is entirely about social positioning; that the only meaningful outcome concerns which person looks best in the eyes of third parties. Ad hominem arguments in this mode are always blatant or subtle efforts to sabotage, undercut or demean the other people involved so that the speaker looks good, right, noble, moral, trustworthy or in other ways better. This is Habermas’ dramaturgical mode of reasoning come to life.

This is all opposed to what I (and Habermas) believe is the proper purpose of an argument: a communication process whose goal is the growth of both personal and mutual understanding. But set that aside, because that mode doesn't allow for ad hominem arguments. ...”

https://www.quora.com/How-to-defend-...how-to-respond
    Bolding is mine

On an anonymous forum it would seem reasonable to eliminate the third point above from consideration but from my experience people seem to be disregarding their own anonymity in taking comments personally so maybe they are seeking this higher “social positioning”.
    Last edited by KC; 20-02-2018 at 01:07 PM.

What I find very scary is that posters are deliberately lying and posting information that is knowingly false. Then doubled own and accuse others of lying and then state that they wrote or believe something that they clearly did not.

What I find very scary is that posters are deliberately lying and posting information that is knowingly false. Then doubled own and accuse others of lying and then state that they wrote or believe something that they clearly did not.
    Even when exact quotes are readily available, many responders don’t question further for clarity but instead readily engage in overly broad, grossly generalized and likely negative characterizations based on ‘reading between the lines’.

As for deliberately lying. Well, it’s an anonymous forum so that’s very likely however for me, it’s near impossible to tell one way or another if someone is lying or just saying something they believe or saying something that I then misunderstand.

Additionally, it seems that there’s little to no welcoming by other posters of a change in position or a change in thinking on an issue or any welcoming of explanatory comments on one’s nuances in thinking one thing or another.
    Last edited by KC; 20-02-2018 at 01:31 PM.

They believe that an argument is a simple competition in which winning or dominating is the goal. Personal understanding is unimportant, and mutual understanding is completely irrelevant;
    (Emphasis mine, taken from KC's post).

What kind of personal/mutual understanding is there to be gained when one side believes in human rights & equality while the other side vociferously doesn't?

What am I leaving on the table when I choose to not continue "debating" with someone who firmly believes inequality & prejudice is something to foster?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

......................and why do you constantly do that?.

See, there you go again...

You posted that after I apologised to you openly on the other thread and then infer that I am constantly lying and am the source of the problem. My post was not even about you and then you take a cheap shot. This is exactly the issue we are talking about regardin the tone of the conversation. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

GeminiYou could have simply stated "No" when asked. Rather than using an ad hominem attack and calling me a demented parakeet. I am sorry that I associated your posts on other threads defending the Republican position by reviewing your posts on this thread, I see that we share the same views on limiting military style weapons
    Well simply put, I can't stand ya.
    I offer an olive branch and you use it to flail on me.

Sad

C2E SME

On an anonymous forum it would seem reasonable to eliminate the third point above from consideration but from my experience people seem to be disregarding their own anonymity in taking comments personally so maybe they are seeking this higher “social positioning”.
    Social positioning still exists and motivates, even in an (semi-)anonymous community, because users still have a name and persona associated with them.

See, there you go again...You posted that after I apologised to you openly on the other thread and then infer that I am constantly lying and am the source of the problem. My post was not even about you and then you take a cheap shot. This is exactly the issue we are talking about regardin the tone of the conversation. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
    GeminiYou could have simply stated "No" when asked. Rather than using an ad hominem attack and calling me a demented parakeet. I am sorry that I associated your posts on other threads defending the Republican position by reviewing your posts on this thread, I see that we share the same views on limiting military style weapons
    I offer an olive branch and you use it to flail on me.Sad
    To be honest I don't have you on ignore but I ignore most of your posts or just skip by them. They are pretty predictable and not worth reading. I recall you agreeing on the restrictions of weapons in the U. S. but don't recall the actually apology. Agreeing with me and apologizing are not the same things. I would like you to provide the actually apology, it should be easy for you to find if it was today. If you don't provide it we can all agree that it was not made. Don't offer me olive branches. You overstepped your mark a long time ago.

I guess you did not read the word 'sorry' in my post and that I took the time to check all your previous post through the entire respective thread to see my error.

Gemini You could have simply stated "No" when asked. Rather than using an ad hominem attack and calling me a demented parakeet. I am sorry that I associated your posts on other threads defending the Republican position by reviewing your posts on this thread, I see that we share the same views on limiting military style weapons
    Maybe you should see the good in people when people apologize to you. It would help with the tone of conversation and move it in a positive direction rather than keeping grudges.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 20-02-2018 at 09:07 PM.

To be honest I don't have you on ignore but I ignore most of your posts or just skip by them. They are pretty predictable and not worth reading.
    Gemini, a sizeable portion of your posting is comprised of ad hominem attacks.

I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.
    And quite the tone-lifting .sig you have at the moment.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^....................and yet you felt compelled to respond and it's the first time I believe you have ever acknowledged any of my posts then it's an attack you make yourself. Go figure.

Dialog did not 'attack' you. He was just posting a facts about your posting style. If a person goes to see a psychologist for help, that person should not react to the doctor's suggestions on modifying their behavior as a personal attack, they are just trying to be helpful.

Don't blame Dialog for saying that the sky is blue.

Maybe take his suggestion on both points.

BTW, this post is not an attack either.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.
    And quite the tone-lifting .sig you have at the moment.
    Heh. It kinda reminds me of...

"I have seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

If a person goes to see a psychologist for help, that person should not react to the doctor's suggestions on modifying their behavior as a personal attack, they are just trying to be helpful.
    Oh, I see - whenever anyone insults somebody on this board, it's not a personal attack, they are just "trying to be helpful".

I see you edited my post to take it out of context and remove the important point, now in bold.

Dialog did not 'attack' you. He was just posting a facts about your posting style. If a person goes to see a psychologist for help, that person should not react to the doctor's suggestions on modifying their behavior as a personal attack, they are just trying to be helpful.

Don't blame Dialog for saying that the sky is blue.

Maybe take his suggestion on both points.

BTW, this post is not an attack either.

You still don't get it, do you??

The irony... the irony...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-02-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Keep on thinking that you're the victim for being called out on your deplorable views.

At no point are you more harmed for being labelled the bigot that you are than your bigotry harms others, yet somehow it's worse for us to call you a racist than you actually being a racist,

There is no need to drag name-calling into here, too.

There is no need to drag name-calling into here, too.
    Who's name-calling? Stating you're a bigot isn't name-calling. Neither is exposing you as a shameless, bald-faced liar.

Jumping from thread to thread to thread doesn't validate your attempt to play the victim card.

Who are you calling "victim"?

get outta here.

Who are you calling "victim"?

get outta here.
    You're the one who's constantly whining & complaining that people have the audacity to not let you spew regressive & hateful rhetoric/lies with impunity.

Like you, I will post whatever I like with impunity, thank you very much. It's not up to you, me, nor any other forum member to "let" people post here.

However, I do think incessant name-calling is poisonous to any discussion, and it happens far too much in this forum.

I lie to you, I will lie whenever I like with impunity, thank you very much. It's not up to you to question me, nor any other forum member to "let" me put my lying posts here.

However, I do think my incessant lying is poisonous to any discussion, and I lie far too much in this forum.
    Fixed that for you...

Would you like me to post a copy of another example of your flagrant lies?

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

SERIOUSLY????

You want decorum, then we start pulling this???

Come on people! Debate a point, but this forum is long since out of hand, and most of you on here have enough blame on your shoulders to not even have remotely enough credibility to point fingers.

STOP. STOP. STOP. STOP. STOP. FULL STOP.

If you all want to break your crayons, have a hissy fit, stomp out, kick down the sand castles, grab your Tonka Trucks, and go to another sandbox, help yourself to happiness. This is just getting far too insane to even remotely think this is worth while. I don't get paid enough.
    Ow

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers
    However, I do think incessant name-calling is poisonous to any discussion, and it happens far too much in this forum.

Then stop using "the left" as a pejorative every second post, otherwise your rampant hypocrisy will be pointed out.

It's troll-tossing like this that makes the "What's New" feature pretty useless by overwhelming whatever useful Edmonton/Alberta/Canada/Social there is on C2E.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I agree the what's new is filled with trump related posts or non sense like today.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Why not shut the forum down for 24 hours so people can take a time out. Some of the threads get so derailed and off topic that it's not even recognizable as a train wreck anymore.
    I would suggest that the biggest offenders hold a charity boxing match with the proceeds going to the food bank.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I've done that before. The peace lasted as long as the forum was offline. It started up immediately when I reopened it.
    Ow

I think 24 hour bans for offenders would be welcome.

Yep. Me too.

Save your most inflammatory put-down for a Friday and you won't even notice if it gets called off-side.
    There can only be one.

Not sure where to put this. But we passed through another very unfortunate circumstance on the board the past week with a poster using this board as his own private Idaho holocaust denying. it was of course deplorable to anybody witnessing it. The poster in question at the end of it all stated they will not post here anymore, which would be for the best, and I do think that poster was treated with much more patience than I would under the circumstance. I refused to engage the poster and encouraged others not to, because there was simply no point in doing so and it was only extending the licence and pulpit of the holocaust denier.

Now, from my perspective whether the poster quits or not they should not be allowed to post here again. No more so than if they were a card carrying member of Soldiers of Odin. Which a few posters openly wondered about.

Myself, I would find it disgusting, and inappropriate for such members to be allowed here after they have outed themselves clearly. For sure I would not want to discuss anything with them or have any exchanges on any subject. Similarly I would not want new posters to have the misfortune of having unknowing discussions with a holocaust denier.

This is rambling because I don't how to put this to words, I guess just that there should be permabans for some things here. This was surely one instance. What do others think?
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-10-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Concur in full. Holocaust denial? You gotta be kidding me.

I agree completely. The events of this weekend serve as a tragic reminder of the perils of distorting reality to suit ones ideological or religious goals.

So several of you appear to be stating that people with brains that don’t function logically, rationally and in a balanced manner are not welcome here. That those with lower IQs and other mental impairments should be banned because they are swayed by exposure to positions we don’t accept?

Isn’t that equally odious, deplorable and despicable?

Is sterilization next?
    Last edited by KC; 30-10-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Deleted post
    Last edited by KC; 30-10-2018 at 10:14 AM.

If muddled, incoherent thinking was a ban-able offence you'd be first up against the wall KC. Your attempts at "reviled by both sides so I must be doing something right" posting leaves you appearing a veritable tabula rasa.

Holocaust denial is not "a position" on some debate worthy spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    If muddled, incoherent thinking was a ban-able offence you'd be first up against the wall KC. Your attempts at "reviled by both sides so I must be doing something right" posting leaves you appearing a veritable tabula rasa.

And why do you not think that I may not be concerned about my own access?

As for debate worthy - I hope you noticed that the topic came up on the atheism vs religion thread. Large numbers of people and societies around the world would equally say: “God denial is not “a position” on some debate worthy spectrum.
    Last edited by KC; 30-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.

I apologize for the personal attack.

The holocaust is a fact. God is a declaration

leaves you appearing a veritable tabula rasa.

This part of your post was apt. Kc does take positions like that invariably. To take that position regarding a holocaust denier is a reprehensible position to take.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

this is a difficult topic and it goes far beyond the “tone of conversation".

there are a number of posters here who i struggle with a lot because they are tone deaf. at the same time, i consider them friends – or at least friendly acquaintances – whose opinions and goals i agree with more than i disagree with and whose opinions i can usually respect even if i occasionally disagree with them..

a local holocaust denier, anti-semite, neo-nazi etc. however, does not fall into that category. as much as their views and opinions are vile and odious, they go out of their way not to seem tone deaf but to present themselves as open-minded reasonable people “looking for information and the truth”. they work at presenting what is vile and odious courteously and respectfully even when what they are presenting are outrights lies and obfuscations.

they invite and welcome debate because it gives them credibility and self worth and a platform. they celebrate compromises because it gives their vile and odious opinions credibility. they do not deserve debate but we – as a society – deserve to see vile and odious opinions soundly rebuked whenever they crawl out from under the rocks they hide under.

these people do not hold a "minority opinion" that deserves protection. they espouse positions that needs to be called out at every opportunity. they peddle demonstrably false and inaccurate opinion, not facts, not only when it comes to holocaust denial but when it comes to prejudice regarding everything from homosexuality or gender equityto immigrants, people from other cultures and races or political parties, rural or urban divides, blue collar occupations, native americans etc... the list goes on and on.

they invariably take offense when called out for being anti-semites or neo nazis or sexist or prejudiced against muslims or asians or anyone else and they insist they have the right to their opinion even if it’sa “minority one”. their taking offense at being called out isn’t reason to ignore them or let them be and trying to argue with them will be circular at best. but they don't deserve to have the last word. ever.

but, having said all of that, while they don’t deserve to be debated they do need to be rebuked and what they are – and how they think and how they speak - needs to be pointed out for the rest of society. they already know what they are- what’s important is letting everyone else know what they are. it isn’t a matter of argument or debate between reasonable if different positions because there is no middle ground to be identified or negotiated. you can’t be half anti-semitic or half neo-nazi orhalf prejudiced any more than you can be half pregnant.

making sure the “other side” here does not get that last work is not argument or debate searching for middle ground because things that are either right or not right are not up for negotiation. what’s needed is pure rebuttal of odious opinions that are factually and demonstrably wrong, not for those that hold them but for others who might venture in and think those opinions might be worthy of consideration simply because they have been left unchallenged when the opportunity was there to challenge them.

when the president of the united states goes on national media and openly and brazenly declares himself a “nationalist” who is at war with the “globalists” and gets away with it because only the nationalists know what he is saying is and where it leads is when – once again – we will all have lost.

You guys choose to take the trolls' bait and help them get their message out or jollies or whatever with your missionary-like zeal to "correct" or "inform" them in the face of their obvious lack of interest in being correct or informed. Somewhat charming from earnest 20-somethings just discovering the world and their own minds, tedious from people who really ought to know better after 2 or 3 or more decades of adulthood.

Digital meeting places have Ignore/Block/Flag options for a reason. Repeated plaintive cries of "You just don't want to understand" followed by more soapboxing while
    ignoring the options to Just Move On is like p*ssing in the wind and complaining you get wet. After a (very) short while it simply amounts to mental or moral or emotional masturbation.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Lovely input Ken and thank you! If we can, I encourage us to leave it as that and move forward. For some of us, we endured somewhat of this path, and it is very hard to digest this right now.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 30-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

I apologize for the personal attack.

The holocaust is a fact. God is a declaration
    No need to apologize.

Now, note that the poster saw God / Jesus Christ as a fact and the holocaust (specifically the gassing) as a declaration/hoax driven by a Jewish conspiracy.

What would you say of that thought process? Rationed, reasoned, capable of independent thinking or possibly one to simply adopt another’s preconceived positions and then pile on. The subsequent research attempt was commendable but not its pursuit and blind acceptance of highly prejudiced and biased confirming opinions to the exclusion of all else. A huge double standard to what evidence qualifies as fact.

Moreover, it’s unfortunate that the thread was closed as the fearful torch and pitchfork wielding mob killed the messenger. The ramifications go beyond the anti-Holocaust denial conspiracy theory positioning to create hatred of Jewish people. So just chalk it up as another lost opportunity to clearly understand who, what, where, when, why and how such radicalization is coming about or surfacing - again - now - here.
    Last edited by KC; 30-10-2018 at 02:06 PM.

No KC. I would simply say you are incorrect.

The holocaust is a provable, verifiable thing that happened. Whether or not you believe it happened doesn't matter. God is the very definition of something you absolutely have to believe in - without faith God can't exist. This is not a double standard.

Jebus what next pearl harbor and 9/11 was an inside job?

No KC. I would simply say you are incorrect.

The holocaust is a provable, verifiable thing that happened. Whether or not you believe it happened doesn't matter. God is the very definition of something you absolutely have to believe in - without faith God can't exist. This is not a double standard.
    I’ve never doubted it happened and still don’t doubt it happened. My own father and several uncles and a couple great aunts joined the Canadian armed forces in WWII. Family friends as well. Great uncles died in the prior Great War. In my life my parents made sure I was never sheltered from the stories on the realities of war nor news etc showing the lows man can sink to.

However with time expect the historical record, facts, reality itself, to get challenged and recast as something different from the reality, all to serve the interests of those pushing false narratives. The numbers of believers can grow and grow and increasingly spread hatred towards their perceived enemies.
    Last edited by KC; 30-10-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Ken, I put my concern in this thread not due to it having anything to do with tone, just that there seemed to be no existing thread in which to put the concern and I didn't want to start a new thread just to do it. If this should be in some other thread that would be fine for admins to move it there.

Spudly, I agree and was saying the same in the thread. I refused to engage the poster, would not do that, and felt it would only as I stated, further their sickening pulpit.

I do think the direction of this board is to allow almost any type of discussion or topic or post but obviously examples like this supersede the reticence about censure.

I always encourage debate, and I don't think any topic should be off-limits. Debate is great to help people verify what is true or false, strengthen their arguments and positions, and even understand why some people believe what they believe. If done respectfully and honestly, I think it's a productive and necessary thing for our society to continue to be enlightened. It's also a much better way to change people's minds rather than to simply insult, demean, and shut down people when they ask certain questions.

But debate has to be done in a forum that is very well-moderated. And this forum is not. That's why there's more bickering than debating.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 31-10-2018 at 09:53 AM.

The Nazi episode has left a permanently bad taste in my mouth. There are things that are not up for discussion; this is one of them. It has also underscored the difference between being responsible enough to post under your own name, and hiding behind anonymous nicknames.

I no longer want to have anything to do with a place where anonymous cowards are encouraged to post defences of genocide while the administrator, one Richard Skerner, places himself in their camp by allowing it to go on. Mealy mouthed denials mean nothing.

Alex Shetsen

If you want to post using your real name so you can publicly pat yourself on the back for being "virtuous", and identify people so you can ruin their lives because they hold some misled beliefs, go to Facebook.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 31-10-2018 at 10:17 AM.

MrOilers doesn't want others to find out his opinions on matters, he would probably lose his job, many friends and family would hate him. A coward really. Too ashamed to come out in public. Too cowardly to stand up for what he believes. Tragic really, but given your points of view, I don't blame you for hiding like a coward. It sure is easy to hide behind a online nickname and cast stones. No balls on that guy, typical far-righter

And the "tolerant" left-wing mob shows up just in time, coaxing and daring me to share my identity so they can harass me, my family, and my colleagues for associating with me, and spread all kinds of false smears and their own biased beliefs about me to my employer (who actually agrees with me on most things, but that's besides the point) to try and ruin my life.

Screw off.

I'm not harassing you, nor am I planning on it, nice attempt though. Seems like you are admitting you are ashamed of your points of view so much that you don't want your family, work, friends to find out? There must be something there.... Why would you want to hide like a coward?

The Nazi episode has left a permanently bad taste in my mouth. There are things that are not up for discussion; this is one of them. It has also underscored the difference between being responsible enough to post under your own name, and hiding behind anonymous nicknames.

I no longer want to have anything to do with a place where anonymous cowards are encouraged to post defences of genocide while the administrator, one Richard Skerner, places himself in their camp by allowing it to go on. Mealy mouthed denials mean nothing.

Alex Shetsen
    Now, as for bad tastes, based on what you’ve expressed in the past, if I were keeping watch list for radicals with any possible risk of violent tendencies you might be on it. In my mind you’re definitely in the camp of non-centrists.

In terms of genocide discussions being off limits, if someone were to defend the moving of Sir John A. Macdonald‘s statue, that should also be off limits and not up for public discussion? The guy was directly involved in a genocide so shut down debate? Or Pierre Trudeau’s White Paper? Another attempt at genocide. Any misguided individuals that watch some more misguided pro-Trudeau piece on his love of indigenous people should be shouted down...

It’s all a slippery slope to dismantle free speech and where opinions are beyond the scope of reason, to develop an understanding of such thought processes. The Holocaust thread originated in the religion vs atheism thread by a strongly Christian guy that had accepted the historical record until watching a peacher’s video that he believed. This susceptibility to such a radical anti-semetic belief DID NOT start with that video. That video just provided the tipping point likely an unchallenged video because it probably wasn’t on a forum where it could be challenged. This was followed by three years of siloed self-confirmation. Three years!
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.

I'm not harassing you, nor am I planning on it, nice attempt though. Seems like you are admitting you are ashamed of your points of view so much that you don't want your family, work, friends to find out? There must be something there.... Why would you want to hide like a coward?
    I have a Facebook account with my friends and colleagues, and I share my views as openly there with my friends, acquaintances and colleagues as I do here with complete strangers.

But because this forum is full of complete strangers and is watched by all kinds of anonymous lurkers, I will opt to keep my identity private, thank you very much. I don't need to be hounded and harassed by an anonymous far-left activist mob who need to label and single me out as some kind of enemy to assault to give themselves some fulfillment in their pathetic lives by pretending they are defending the world from "Nazis" by trying to ruin my life over a thought or opinion they didn't like.

So just stop it.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 31-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.

There's no far-left here. That's your issue. The only labeling is done by your own posts. If you don't like being called out for what you post, stop posting. You're so far to the right that you think anything in the center is far left. It's great that you see this place as a hideout like a coward, afraid to share what he really thinks unless under a guise of a username.

You think posting here under your real identity is going to cause some sort of mob to assault you? Man, you are not only cowardly, you are paranoid and delusional. Perhaps even a side of schizophrenia?

C2E SME

And the "tolerant" left-wing mob shows up just in time

You were criticized by a single poster, snowflake. Some mob. Your victim complex is getting out of control.

And the "tolerant" left-wing mob shows up just in time, coaxing and daring me to share my identity so they can harass me, my family, and my colleagues for associating with me, and spread all kinds of false smears and their own biased beliefs about me to my employer (who actually agrees with me on most things, but that's besides the point) to try and ruin my life.

Screw off.
    There is no 'left wing mob'. Period. It is just made up in Trump's small brain, like all the others including: Arab's in the Honduran Invasion, his Birthright Executive Order elimination, his Birther Theory, his 'Obama Tapped my Phone' and "I'm a Very Sable Genius"...

Medwards is correct, you are a extreme right wing parrot of Trump and accuse every moderate as extreme left.

You have a warped worldview. Snowflake, seek professional help.

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 31-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

You were criticized by a single poster, snowflake. Some mob. Your victim complex is getting out of control.
    You are now piling on. Congratulations - you are part of the mob.

Medwards is correct, you are a extreme right wing parrot of Trump and accuse every moderate as extreme left.

You have a warped worldview. Snowflake, seek professional help.

Careful - One more outburst like that, and I will un-friend you from my Facebook.

If you don't like being called out for what you post, stop posting. You're so far to the right that you think anything in the center is far left.
    Like what?

You call me all sorts of names like "alt-right", Nazi, etc. without provocation, no matter how mundane my post. Sometimes you and your ilk jump into a random thread I am posting in just to call me that. Or else you will jump into a discussion you are not involved in and pile on (just like Marcel Petrin and EdmontonPRT did here) just to group bully and "rub in" the name calling and attempted public shaming (both are communist political tactics, by the way)

Yes, you act like a mob. Like a far-left mob in a communist sh-thole. No matter what your actual political beliefs are, that's how you are choosing to act, and that's what I want to avoid in my life (even from possible far-left people who lurk) while I am off this forum.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 31-10-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Careful - One more outburst like that, and I will un-friend you from my Facebook.
    You are on Facebook??? I thought they threw you off and you and your caravan are GAB refugees...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

The poster in question has lost it with several posters here telling to "screw off, get lost" etc too many times to remember and like the other poster in the deplorable thread tried to frame it as being attacked. While verbally abusing users. Indeed MrOilers told me to "get lost" in that thread. I didn't even respond due to the reprehensible thread that I refused to get engaged in.

MrOilers when rebutted...

Well I gotta stick up for myself when I am attacked. After all, this forum isn't moderated worth a damn.

I thought they threw you off and you and your caravan are GAB refugees...
    You mean like a mob would do?

MrOilers when rebutted...

but that snowflake is pretty..

If you don't like being called out for what you post, stop posting. You're so far to the right that you think anything in the center is far left.
    Like what?

You call me all sorts of names like "alt-right", Nazi, etc. without provocation, no matter how mundane my post. Sometimes you and your ilk jump into a random thread I am posting in just to call me that. Or else you will jump into a discussion you are not involved in and pile on (just like Marcel Petrin and EdmontonPRT did here) just to group bully and "rub in" the name calling and attempted public shaming (both are communist political tactics, by the way)

Yes, you act like a mob. Like a far-left mob in a communist sh-thole. No matter what your actual political beliefs are, that's how you are choosing to act, and that's what I want to avoid in my life (even from possible far-left people who lurk) while I am off this forum.
    keep calling me far-left. I'm a conservative. I'm sorry to hear that you have no balls, and can't stand to support your own opinions outside of a anonymous username on a forum. If you don't want your opinions to follow you around on the forum, perhaps you should just keep to yourself.

What opinions did I share that offend you so badly that you need to know my real name?

What opinions did you share that you feel you need to hide like a coward while the majority of the rest of us are posting from publicly identifiable usernames? You know why you are hiding, like a coward, afraid of his own postings coming back to haunt him. I dont care to know your real name. But I'm sure you friends, family, coworkers might care to know the bullspit you post.

Alex Shetsen
    Would you go to dinner at somebodies place and spit out the sides of broccoli and spinach not to your taste and complain with disgust that the food was not to your liking. While yelling cowards at the other guests for not being just as insensitive?

While I definitely concur with most of your post I find it bad form to specifically fault the host. At worst I feel Richard may err, even grievously, on this side of allowing speech as I stated. By no means should that include holocaust denying. I certainly won't infer the worst of the host, as I sense you have done, but I share with you the apprehension, and sick feeling about coming to a board where holocaust denying has been allowed. I think any learning that comes from this is that it should not have been allowed to continue. That OP and thread should have been deleted. I say that categorically despite being a guest. Its just that nature of concern that its clear it should not have been allowed. But I don't wish to critique the host, only the action of allowing it, which in my impression was a very unfortunate judgement call on something that should not be a judgement call. Holocaust denial is unequivocal. It should not be allowed to persist. The response to it should be uniform prohibition of it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast