Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southpark Redevelopment - Proposed

I'd rather C2E than work!

Southpark is an automobile-oriented design, period. It currently does nothing to contribute to the pedestrian-oriented scale and character of the area. Any future redevelopment will make it a more walkable and engaging place for people.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Doesn't take much to improve upon a car dealership and car storage.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Southpark is on a whole other level in terms of size and scale, as compared to the Mezzo. People are going to lose their minds if and when they start going for approvals.

^That is true, it's a fairly large-scale redevelopment. The Mezzo was a 2-year process and I expect this to take longer. I also believe that Council's expectations will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^That is true, it's a fairly large-scale redevelopment. The Mezzo was a 2-year process and I expect this to take longer. I also believe that Council's expectations will be higher.
    "believe"? The Mayor was pretty clear...expectations are higher.

It will definitely change the South side of Whyte Ave. I often walk along Whyte all the way down to 109 st on the North side, then come back along the South. That south-side walk always seems so much longer because of all the "dead" space along there. This redevelopment will help it a bit.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

As an area resident, Gord, what are your sentiments on perhaps a 12 or 14 story ensemble at Southpark on 81 ave? As a former resident and Ave frequenter, that seems adequate, as long as Whyte remains under 6 floors and a good mix of uses/spaces are included. I know a few friends of mine would welcome a reasonable amount of height as long as Whyte remains 4-6 floors.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

It's amazing how badly the preservation activist want to maintain the status quo, when Whyte is really only a couple blocks. Beyond 105 St is mostly crap, especially the south side of the street. New development is badly needed, though I agree that council should be very nitpicky about what they allow - high quality aesthetics should be paramount. The zoning needs some reworking regardless, to prevent more Bubbles strip malls from opening. All new developments on Whyte should be minimum 3 stories if you ask me.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

What I have been writing about for a few years is that it's not necessarily the height restrictions that are preventing new development, and in replacing parking lots or old 60/70's structures... but the zoning codes. If parking was relaxed and streets improved or alleyways made into pedestrian thoroughfares through ARP guidelines... then maybe (there are other tools too) 4 stories would not be so "difficult". Land is increasingly expensive, people are getting priced out, and everything is butting heads at once and the quick answer without fixing zoning codes or bylaws is getting a variance on height for a development.

Parking restrictions pilot is coming up, a bike lane is coming in... but only now? The OSBA and Henderson and the Old Strath Foundation know there are easy fixes but politics, man. I will fight for quality development, but I will fight for no more than 6 floors on Whyte Ave and no more than 14 off the Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    As an area resident, Gord, what are your sentiments on perhaps a 12 or 14 story ensemble at Southpark on 81 ave? As a former resident and Ave frequenter, that seems adequate, as long as Whyte remains under 6 floors and a good mix of uses/spaces are included. I know a few friends of mine would welcome a reasonable amount of height as long as Whyte remains 4-6 floors.
    I spent last weekend in Victoria, walking around their downtown, which is mostly older, brick buildings. I rarely looked up, but when I did I often found myself surprised that there was a larger building above. As many have brought up here, it's really the podiums that matter the most in keeping an area preserved, because that's what most of us see and interact with.

I think filling these "dead spaces" with buildings that interact well with the street, and house people above, will be good for the area. These are people that will buy things at the shops, eat at the restaurants, and drink at the bars. I think these proposed developments are a lot better than some of the "crap" that we've had recently, stuff that fits into the area plan.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I spent last weekend in Victoria, walking around their downtown, which is mostly older, brick buildings. I rarely looked up, but when I did I often found myself surprised that there was a larger building above. As many have brought up here, it's really the podiums that matter the most in keeping an area preserved, because that's what most of us see and interact with.

I think filling these "dead spaces" with buildings that interact well with the street, and house people above, will be good for the area. These are people that will buy things at the shops, eat at the restaurants, and drink at the bars. I think these proposed developments are a lot better than some of the "crap" that we've had recently, stuff that fits into the area plan.
    There has been precious little done to improve Whyte and side streets ...ever. Owners of commercial space want to see a return on their investment so are raising rents. Retailers, small ones leave because they can't afford the rent because traffic and sales don't generate enough revenue. I agree with you that by allowing condos and apartments above retail ... this will generate an ecosystem that supports the types of retail we all love that exist on and off Whyte. This can be done with appropriate due diligence to allow the retail to prosper and retain some of the design elements to keep the flavour of Old Strathcona. The City should establish mandatory design guidelines that every development must comply with: use of brick, provision of retail podiums, design features, forbidden materials: acrylic stucco for example, setbacks, clarity on parking and in some cases provision of public parking in podiums etc.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 25-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Yesterday:

Some new renderings on Simon O'Byrnes twitter feed. Looks like the SouthPark sign is back on Whyte Avenue. Renderings look pretty good, more diverse design for street front retail it seems.

https://twitter.com/Simon_OByrne/sta...76597494669313
    "What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality" - Plutarch

Love it. Those renders look amazing.

But my historical parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    But my historical parking lots
    Silence you. Lol

From the tweet:

Old renders for comparison, which I really liked. But I'm sucker for boxy, modern architecture. The new renders are very nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Just reposting the newly released renders here, as this thread is more recent

http://www.gblarchitects.com/work/south-park-on-whyte/

Looks great - a bit eclectic and perfect for Whyte.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow! Whyte Avenue will look great!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Very very impressive. My only concern is to ensure that there are opportunities for small scale retail.
    Last edited by IanO; 10-08-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^at the prices they will charge (for leases) unless it's something stupid popular or crazy mark-up, small scale will just mean exclusive f' off. It sure won't mean funky tiny store to poke around in.

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    It sure won't mean funky tiny store to poke around in.
    That pretty much describes most of Whyte now doesn't it?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

New renders are awesome. I give it a 3/10 chance of being built as shown. 6/10 in some bullshitty watered down version.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^that's the spirit! Uber primo location with high quality consultants, good backing, huge long-term value.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    ^at the prices they will charge (for leases) unless it's something stupid popular or crazy mark-up, small scale will just mean exclusive f' off. It sure won't mean funky tiny store to poke around in.
    Certainly it continues to 'evolve', as did Queen West, Robson, West 4th, etc. Point being, I want a mix of spaces and spacial opportunities.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Just waiting for the Old Strathcona NIMBY contingent to queue up and cry "it's too tall!" "it doesn't look like it was built in 1890!"
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Amazing! Wheatons will have much less trouble rezoning, due to the fact that they arent in the historical district (105 - 103st). Other new builds have basically been designed by the historical group in Edmonton, but they have much less influence over this.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I gotta say I like version one better, not that version two is bad.

The second version looks great, it has a good amount of variety that makes it interesting to look at and will encourage owners to take care of their unique part.
    The first version is just a bunch of copy & paste buildings, projects that repeat themselves tend to depreciate in value over time.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

new Global story on the Southpark redevelopment on Whyte Ave
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2881345/ne...-whyte-avenue/

The Wheaton family, which owns the land where the Southpark Pontiac Buick GMC dealership used to be, is now looking at developing the site.

Located on the south side of Whyte Avenue, on both sides of 106 Street, the parcel of land would be broken up into four areas.

The development, which is in its early stages, would be mixed use – with commercial and residential space.

The housing tower would feature walkable townhouses, according to the developer’s website.

“The auto-oriented, weak urban design of these sites is reminiscent of a different time in the history of Whyte Avenue, when vehicular access was the focus. As the surrounding properties have redeveloped into vibrant, pedestrian-oriented spaces, these sites have become a hole in the urban experience and a barrier to connection between the university area to the west and the iconic historical developments further east on Whyte Avenue.”

The developer is currently seeking re-zoning of the land, as well as amendments to both the Garneau and Strathcona area redevelopment plans.

Stantec has been hired to do consulting work on the project, including planning and architectural drawings.

Letters were first mailed to neighbourhood property owners on Oct. 14, 2015. A community open house was held on Oct. 28, 2015 to give an overview of the process and timelines.

On Saturday, Southpark on Whyte is hosting a community engagement session from 2-5 p.m. at a tent on the site.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Good news. I really hope this is one project we see move quickly. Super close to everything you could ever need including the city's biggest employers.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Good news. I really hope this is one project we see move quickly. Super close to everything you could ever need including the city's biggest employers.
    Indeed - the University employs/contracts about 15000, and Alberta Health about 12,000 on the UA/UAH campus. There is pent up demand for quality condos and apartments in the area for sure. Southpark location is perfectly situation between the buzz of Old Starthcona and UA/UAH campus. The only noise I can hear about this development will be ka-ching ka-ching into the pockets of the Wheaton's and deservedly so if its a quality project.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    The only noise I can hear about this development will be ka-ching ka-ching into the pockets of the Wheaton's and deservedly so if its a quality project.
    This is C2E - give it time...

Idle curiosity: I wonder if the Wheatons could make more off this development than they ever did selling cars.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Proposal to rezone property in Queen Alexandra

We need your feedback

August 23, 2016

You are invited to an Open House for a proposed rezoning and plan amendment in the area of 82 Avenue NW and 106 Street NW, the former Southpark car dealership. The proposed rezoning is for a (DC1) Direct Development Control Provision to allow for a high density, mixed use development with a range of commercial and residential uses that could be developed within a variety of buildings, including towers. The proposed plan amendment is to the Strathcona Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) to increase the scale of allowed development at this location.

Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2016
    Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Former Southpark Dealership Showroom, 10615 - 82 Avenue NW
    (use entrance facing 106 Street NW)
    The Open House will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and provide your feedback to the City and applicant. Feedback will be summarized for you and referenced in a report to City Council before they make their decision on the application.
    For more information:

Andrew McLellan
    Planner
    780-496-2939

Media contact:

Lisa Sobchyshyn
    Communications Advisor
    Sustainable Development Branch
    780-442-7192
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    The only noise I can hear about this development will be ka-ching ka-ching into the pockets of the Wheaton's and deservedly so if its a quality project.
    This is C2E - give it time...

Idle curiosity: I wonder if the Wheatons could make more off this development than they ever did selling cars.
    They will do well on this project but with their banking and insurance businesses being built around their car business, no they are already very very well off. Not to mention Wheaton Aviation and their FedEx contract.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

open house at 6:30 pm tonight!

Every time I see an email for this thread in my inbox I think of the show. It's gonna take some getting used to.

^ lol.

I also prefer the old renders. Loved especially the higher density, but also that "neon zig zag motif" in the tower facades.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Condo towers proposed for long-vacant Southpark Motors lot

I laugh at NIMBY's.

"I am not overly impressed," says Jessica Schroedl. "I bought my condo because it was in a small four-storey walk-up area, and it was quiet.
    No, you bought a condo on Whyte Ave, for decades Edmonton's trendiest strip full of bars, restaurants, theatre, art, and festivals.

That's like buying downtown and then complaining when a high rise tower is built nearby.

There's also this option: MOVE

People do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    That's like buying downtown and then complaining when a high rise tower is built nearby.
    Or living next to the arena & complaining about a bar with 3% of the maximum occupancy opening nearby.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Before this gets derailed.... More residential means more locals and more amenities and retail/services catering to people that live in the hood, diversifying the commercial component and getting it safer by more foot traffic. The area will be safer and more successful, with better/more housing options with this or a slightly smaller project.

^bingo. We need a variety of housing, retail, office/employment options.
    www.decl.org

Height and traffic are typically way too large of a concern given their eventual impact.
    www.decl.org

Bummed that I missed the presentation last night. I think it'll be good for the neighbourhoods.

This proposal is a must. It's currently s defunct car dealership. It had nothing but cars, and big *** semi trucks unloading vehicles and blocking traffic at all hours. This is better than what was and is currently there in every single way.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Southpark redevelopment on Whyte goes to City Council later this month
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

While I can appreciate some of the concerns, on these lots I very much support the rezoning and redevelopment. It is of high-quality and provides a diversity of housing and retail sizing and options. To be frank, Whyte needs this.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Whyte Ave could be going through quite the transformation soon.

I don't see this one having much difficulty getting approved. With all the towers going up or about to, makes me wonder if Century Park could be fully built out now if they had actually built it as planned from the get go.

Man, the old post office is going to look so dwarfed now. Diminishes it's physical stature quite a a bit.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Bandwidth Hog

With all these towers being proposed, and the proliferation of VR-light (such as Google glasses) technology becoming more popular, companies should really be rendering VR views of their proposals for people to check out. Seeing renders from various shots that people won't ever view the project from does nothing to show how the project will, or won't, affect the views pedestrians will see.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Every time I see an email for this thread in my inbox I think of the show. It's gonna take some getting used to.
    I've thought this for twenty years (and I used to live in the neighbourhood). "Respect my authoriTAY!"
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

I'm growing really tired of councillor Henderson's ridiculous objections to anything and everything that adds density. That guy is a pain in the rear.
    Hater of Stucco and Exposed Concrete Exteriors

mhmm, again with the 'character' thing. I will never understand his point of view that some parking lots somehow add character.

The reality is that new thoughtful development of most scales can coincide nicely with existing historic assets there. Look at MTL, VAN, Tor for direction.
    www.decl.org

I do however agree that the Whyte Avenue corridor re-zoning should be completed first... I'd like this to be approved... looks very similar to projects of similar size and scale in Kitsilano on Broadway, or Main Street... Commerical... all very small scale and relatively low height commercial shopping areas, but for the south side you have to start asking if not more density here and zone for it then where? How much? Where is there land ready to be developed (these lots are essentially vacant paved lots)? How do we add business value and customers to Whyte and make it less bar-orientated? It's not just towers here, but overall community building. The south side needs some major zoning overhauls and here and 109st corridor are a few items... shadows shouldn't make or break smart development.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The reality is that new thoughtful development of most scales can coincide nicely with existing historic assets there. Look at MTL, VAN, Tor for direction.
    It needs to be more receptive to residential growth that is more than 4-6 stories in strategic locations - well designed, well integrated. Southpark development from what I see so far seems to be a perfect addition to Whyte Avenue. Otherwise growth will occur in other parts of the city and Strathcona is by no means perfectly complete.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think there's some legitimate concerns about the girthiness of the building, just like there was with J22. One of the buildings is similar in size/height, is it not? And it will sit on the South side of the avenue, not the North. It's an unfortunate thing that in a Northern city our two main thoroughfares run E/W, resulting in significant shading concerns with large buildings oriented the same way.

^Hence why I would like the area re-zoning to be approved first. It will also allow a better examination and preparation of improving infrastructure and transit/traffic issues (all modes). I would like to see a pedestrian activated alley to some degree, at least adjacent to 106 street where these lots converge. Alley corridors are being examined in "Plan Whyte" and I want proper planning to be done, zoning for future development like this. The Mezzo intends a degree of frontage to the same alley, so it'd be nice if it was moderately continued from 105 st to 106 st.

Just want to throw this back in here for reference: https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PD...playboards.pdf.

Also I hope this project, zoning, infrastructure improvements address the future of 106 st bike lane and overall area bike lane networks.

According to the link the plan goes for final approval in April - which is not far off, but if it is counter to what is currently proposed, then it would delay the project no doubt. (but given the project probably wouldn't start any time soon anyways it might not be that big of a deal)

I am a big fan of both developments, would love to see them both appear on Whyte to be honest. I just hope we don't get the old 'bait and switch' like with Blatchford Development, nice renders/development cut to shreds through value engineer and cheap material.

Hearing delayed until March.

I'm guessing to wait for the Whyte Ave plan to be complete?

Basically.
    www.decl.org

With Mezzo and Raymond slowly churning, this will activate this area of Whyte. I hope it all comes to fruition. Given the developer behind this one, quality should not be lost. Plus, by approving Mezzo, they have kind of set a precedent for themselves as far as approving this one goes, especially given the quality that this developer will bring to the table.

This isn't approved yet is it?
    Boarded and fenced building on Whyte...dislike. I hope this gets demoed asap but I doubt it considering they plywooded the windows.

Although not ideal, it's not any worse than the state of several empty lots on Whyte such as the old gas station sites. At least this is very much moving forward. If it takes a year to be knocked down and construction to start, that's not the end of the world.

It won't require remediation, so that is the most positive outcome of this situation.

I heard the Plan Whyte (Strathcona ARP) is being presented on March 20th... may give the details everyone is interested in in reference to this site and the development proposed.

Also a community survey which doesn't hurt: http://strathconacommunity.ca/survey/

The problem with that survey is that it's black and white, no room for "well, possibly" in it. I've heard that numerous times from people in the community. People say "well, I don't really like any of the options presented."

Example:

"Do you think the existing building height limit of 4-storeys along Whyte Avenue from 99 Street to 109 Street should be changed to allow for tall buildings or towers exceeding 14 storeys?"

What if I think 6-10 storeys is good? It's a bit of a loaded question for anyone who wants to be in the middle. You'd have to select "no," because you don't want to see the buildings over 14 storeys, even though you want them higher than 4 storeys.

If they had anyone with a brain proof that survey, those kinds of questions would have been flagged and rewritten, and given appropriate options for answers. Disappointing.

^ I don't think lack of a brain is the problem. It's that they are looking for a particular type of answer and have therefore designed the survey a certain way. A pretty old trick in the book.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Yeah, from what I understand, the person who did the survey IS looking for specific answers, they just aren't the answers that a lot in the neighbourhood want to give. My understanding is that one person put together the survey.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I rarely encounter a survey (even the ones put together by "experts") that makes it possible to approximate what my opinion on issues really is. I can usually see the spin from the questions and usually they suffer from the "excluded middle" fallacy. I happen to have no problem with "exceeded 14 storeys" but that's given the context that Whyte not turn into a canyon of tall buildings *or* that the building exceed, say, 25 stories. Buildings in the range of 6-10 would be better though if there are several of them.

Taller can be further from the immediate vicinity of Whyte itself, but I agree with you in general. Regardless what the community leaders of the area may believe, this area is still central core despite the separation of the river. The higher population density would only help Whyte Ave's prosperity.

A better question would have been:

I support buildings that are:

4 and under storeys
    5-8 storeys
    9-13 storeys
    14+ storeys

That would allow for the middle to be represented in the question, without having the two extremes. Personally, I'd like to see 8-12 storeys in the core, with the option of going higher if it was a good project, supported by council.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

For me it's a situational thing. I used to live in Windsor Park Plaza. This is an incredibly dense development: over 600 households, rental applications had four signature places because it was common to have four roommates. I'm guessing about 2000 people in a single complex. I doubt it could get approval today. And yet, its presence (along with other high rises) allows a situation where the large gracious homes have amenities like coffee houses, groceries, etc. in a lovely tree-lined area that makes for picturesque walks for everyone including the high rise dwellers.

I like diversity in housing forms because they can complement each other.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    For me it's a situational thing. I used to live in Windsor Park Plaza. This is an incredibly dense development: over 600 households, rental applications had four signature places because it was common to have four roommates. I'm guessing about 2000 people in a single complex. I doubt it could get approval today. And yet, its presence (along with other high rises) allows a situation where the large gracious homes have amenities like coffee houses, groceries, etc. in a lovely tree-lined area that makes for picturesque walks for everyone including the high rise dwellers.

I like diversity in housing forms because they can complement each other.
    Such an important and critical point. Thank you.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sounds like City Council is discussing this right now

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Sounds like City Council is discussing this right now
    I really can't imagine it not being approved.

The only thing I wish, though, is that bloody sign should have been removed for ever. Oh well.

Also a community survey which doesn't hurt: http://strathconacommunity.ca/survey/
    Interesting they let you see results after you fill it out and I don't need to tell you which way the results are leaning.

One strong argument against high-density condo development: it allows foreign money to be parked here and can distort the housing market for us locals.

I am not sure that this is a problem in Edmonton yet, but on the other hand I honestly don't understand where the demand is coming from to allow so much high-value construction at such a comparatively grim economic time.

Ultimately I do not want Edmonton to become like contemporary Vancouver and Toronto.

Although at this stage more and higher IS better.

I think I might have mentioned it, but Kerrisdale in Vancouver, in respects to new developemnt and a mixing of 1-2 storey walkable street with towers just off the street, can give you a perspective on what this development would look like. When I am in Kerrisdale on 41 avenue, you are surrounded by quaint small shops and buildings, but no more than a block off this street are residential towers of similar height to what is being proposed here. These were built a few decades ago, for the most part, and are mainly concrete blocks, but I never seem to notice them due to the street "wall" of shops, and the treed canopy of the neighbourhood.

For instance, here (https:[email protected]..8i6656!6m1!1e1) across the alley from these shops is a tower about 12 storeys tall, and two more on the north side of 40th ave that are about 14 storeys. A friend of mine lives on 39th Ave and Yew Street. Smack dab in the middle of a neighbourhood of walk-ups, towers, and century-old homes. With appropriate design, better than exhibited a few decades ago, these towers are barely there. What you see is the floors 1-5.
    (View from West Boulevard and 40 Ave, an extension of Kerrisdale's walkable charm: https:[email protected]..8i6656!6m1!1e1) ***Same residential tower in both street views***

Here's hoping this goes forward.
    www.decl.org

The difference with Kerrisdale is that 41st Avenue is much narrower than Whyte. Whyte can and should support a higher line of buildings.

In Edmonton terms, Kerrisdale is more like 124 street; while in Vancouver terms Whyte is or should be more like Broadway in Kitts (with our 99th street being like their 4th Avenue). The other parallel, of course, is that Alberta Avenue is like Commercial Drive.

I agree to an extent on those comparisons, AShetsen, I just didn't want to project Whyte as a "soon to be very dense and busy Broadway" if this building goes through. I wanted to display the imaginative and nostalgic "quaint" comparasion of Kerrisdale to show even there, in that that area, such density and and small store-fronts can exist in such proximity. With healthy trees on Whyte some day... a tower like this would not be so imposing as pictures display to some residents.

Approved

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I got a Tweet there was pitchforks for sale and torches on for 50% off somewhere off Whyte.... I'm surprised, but not quite too surprised at the same time. I thought they'd wait for the new area plan, then again with a new plan this probably would go forward. I think with the tall developments of the 70's in the area, this and Mezzo will be the only tall structures of their kind for a while in the immediate area of Whyte. Expect more pressures elsewhere? Wonder what this means for the one on 99st.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Council OK's towers up to 18 storeys high for Southpark on Whyte
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...hpark-on-whyte

^^Regardless of the new plan, doesn't change this proposal/DC2 has to go to Council regardless.

Glad to see this go ahead. Excited for the public realm improvements, some new housing options for Whyte Ave.
    www.decl.org

Of course Henderson was against it. He'd rather have a bunch of parking lots sit there for another 30 years than develop anything that doesn't look 150 years old. Nevermind the fact that the section of Whyte ave its on doesn't even have any historical buildings really.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast