Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill 6: Enhanced Protection for Farm and Ranch Workers Act

In a post above I quoted from a very interesting article. What's not in my excepts is the mention of all the prior consultations that have taken place over the years by the PCs and the prior comitments by the PCs towards improving farm worker safety and possibly post injury recourse.

Just skim this and note all the reverences to past work on this issue. There should be nothing surprising in this bill to the farm community.

https://albertaviews.ab.ca/2013/04/2...afe-workplace/

^Good article. It seems there has been a lot of talk and no action. Stalling, compromising and a bunch of who shot john. Talking about things does not get the job done. There is no excuse for Alberta not to have safer farm working conditions and better coverage for injured workers. If it's done in other provinces it can be done here. Farmers should not be able to dictate how workers should be treat as they will cut corners wherever possible. I also agree that some farm injuries do not show up until later in life like the article states. Time to get these safety issues implemented.
    My view is it's the Wild Rose Party behind these protests. If so, they are misguided.
    Last edited by Gemini; 08-12-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

My grandparents were all "family farmers" and I spent most of my childhood on and off their farms. These laws need to be rammed through. I'm lucky I never died doing any of the crap that I did. Can't say the same for others. Serious injuries are common.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

I wish there had been something like this earlier:

How Does Bill 6 Compare with Farm Workplace Legislation in Other Provinces?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    In a post above I quoted from a very interesting article. What's not in my excepts is the mention of all the prior consultations that have taken place over the years by the PCs and the prior comitments by the PCs towards improving farm worker safety and possibly post injury recourse.

Just skim this and note all the reverences to past work on this issue. There should be nothing surprising in this bill to the farm community.

I had drinks with someone I know in AGG, She was saying this has been going on for about 5 years, they had everyone on board then after the NDP got in some reneged.

The PCs also draw a distinction between so-called “family farms” and “corporate farms.” But what is a family farm? Is it a small farm (whatever “small” means)? Is it also (or alternatively) a farm staffed by a family and/or operated as a sole proprietorship? Is a corporate farm a large farm? Or one that employs waged labour? Or an incorporated operation? Conservative MLAs haven’t explained this difference.

The 'Family Farm' designation is vague in that Hutterite/Mennonite farms are classed as family farms even though they are not one family but a group of families. Now, some of these colony farms are big operations. It seems they slip through the cracks on technicalities and get away with using cheap labour (kids).
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I wish there had been something like this earlier:

How Does Bill 6 Compare with Farm Workplace Legislation in Other Provinces?
    I'm going to post this in response to so many Facebook rants.

Opposition to Bill 6 could backfire

As an operator of a true family farm, where my family does all the work, I have no employees, and all my modest income comes from farming, I do not appreciate it when my challenges, and my situation, are invoked as justification for large, multi-million dollar farming operations, with full-time employees, to not have to use the same practices as other businesses of similar size.

A man has died from injuries he received in a propane tank explosion on an east-central Alberta farm.
    Mounties say the man, who lived on the rural property near Consort, had been operating a propane-fired torch.
    A spokesperson for STARS says the air ambulance was called to the scene just before noon on Sunday.
    The helicopter was told to “stand down” because it wasn’t medically required to transport the patient.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/dies+...791/story.html

Another farm death today.

^proof that the Bill didn't work.

Not sure what the implementation timelines are but OH&S may actually be able to investigate this just like any other workplace fatality now if the man was an employee.

^won't bring him back to life, or stop other farmhand / farmers dying, they are never going to spend half their day reading safety reports before doing anything on the farm. Just creates jobs for bureaucrats.

^There are all kinds of Bills out there that do not stop people from dying, but what they can do is make people accountable for those deaths. Accountable enough so that they can change their ways, pay compensation or maybe even do jail time.

Enforcement of workplace safety standards can and does save lives. Just like everybody else, employers need to be held accountable for their actions. Accountability does lead changes in practice.

Further, as someone who had to write the safety manual for our family business, there are a great number of non obvious measures to improve workplace safety. The benefit of having OH&S is to pool accumulated knowledge for employers.

There is reason to be wary of overreach by OH&S however in the case of farms, where OH&S has been non-existent to date, we are far from having to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    More likely ignored. I'd guess something along the lines of:

Worker: "Sure, I'll fix 'er up, won't take ten minutes".
    Farmer: "Them NDP ********** in Edmonton needn't know anything".

KABOOM!

Conjecture of course, but let's see what comes out of this.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    More likely ignored. I'd guess something along the lines of:

Worker: "Sure, I'll fix 'er up, won't take ten minutes".
    Farmer: "Them NDP ********** in Edmonton needn't know anything".

KABOOM!

Conjecture of course, but let's see what comes out of this.
    Whereas, what they should done is:

Worker: "I can just fix it up"
    Farmer: "hold on, let me call the NDP first to check if its safe"
    NDP: "we need to study it for six months first, we will have a first draft on new procedures then".
    Farmer: "Seems we have make do without fuel this year"
    Worker: "ok, I'll go home, you still have to pay me"
    Farmer: "Farming is now safe thanks to the NDP".

Global News is reporting it happened early morning yesterday.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2432320/farm-fatal-alberta-man-dies-in-explosion-on-rural-property/

A man has died following a propane tank explosion at a farm in east-central Alberta.
    A helicopter was originally called out late Sunday morning after the man suffered critical injuries from a propane tank explosion, but was later told to stand down, the STARS air-ambulance service said.

The man who lived on the property in the Consort area had been operating a propane fired torch, RCMP said.
    Consort is 300 kilometres southeast of Edmonton.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Farmer: "Farming is now safe thanks to the NDP".

God bless big government.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

People are actually claiming that this death is proof that Bill 6 "didn't work"? When it hasn't even actually been implemented or brought in to force? Near as I can tell, it's not anticipated that all the regulations etc will be completed before 2017.

Willful ignorance or just blatant trolling?

^so there will be a dramatic decline in farm deaths in 2017 because of this legislation? Because, there will be a decline in farm productivity, with all the new form filling.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^Moahunter prefers to think of himself as a "performance artist".

^so there will be a dramatic decline in farm deaths in 2017 because of this legislation? Because, there will be a decline in farm productivity, with all the new form filling.
    Passing Bill 6 in no way guarantees there will be no more farm deaths. Just like passing impaired driving bills does not guarantee there will be no more deaths due to drunk driving. What bills do is ensure that the deaths are accounted for be it in the way of how/why/what/when/where it happened and that if rules were ignored that someone is held accountable for the death(s). If people are held accountable for preventable deaths then within time better practices will be used. Passing a bill does not guarantee anything but it might stop a lot of unnecessary deaths if there is an consequence/penalty for those deaths.
    To bad about all the form filling or, in other words, welcome to the real industrial world where other companies have to fill out forms, in triplicate if the government is involved.

Advocates of controversial farm safety legislation say the doubling of Workers Compensation Board claims by farm workers since it came into effect shows that the law is needed and working.
    In the first six months of 2016, there were 395 WCB claims from the agriculture sector, with 356 accepted.
    That compares to 158 claims in the same time period in 2015, with 143 accepted by the WCB.

Among the cases, there were 88 strains or sprains, 76 superficial wounds, 62 open wounds and 43 fractures, dislocations or nerve damage incidents and 87 other injuries.
    There were two fatalities that took place, which, with coverage, sees WCB cover funeral expenses.
    “For the little guy out here . . . with no union, no association, with no representation, that is huge for the families,” said Dunlop.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...131/story.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12