Thread: Faith a pillar of Canada’s foundation

Default Faith a pillar of Canada’s foundation

Quite interesting and well written...

Faith a pillar of Canada’s foundation
    BY MICHAEL SWAN, THE CATHOLIC REGISTER
    November 15, 2015

"Greg Pennoyer calls it “living in a culture of amnesia.” Canadians may know bits and pieces of their history — the date of Confederation, where Henry Hudson froze to death, how General Wolfe defeated the Marquis de Montcalm on the Plains of Abraham. But we’ve lost the thread of the whole story.

You can’t understand how Canada came to be the country and society it is today without understanding its religious foundations, its religious history, Pennoyer insists. ..."

http://www.catholicregister.org/item...a-s-foundation

Last edited by KC; 16-11-2015 at 10:32 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Religion played a huge part in our history, and we need to illuminate it more.

For instance, religion provided the primary legal and political mandate to colonize, subjugate, and brutally destroy Indigenous peoples and cultures across Canada. The Crown used religious arguments and doctrine to suggest that it was both legal and beneficial to the Indigenous peoples to steal their land, murder them, destroy their economic capacity, remove their human rights, and systematically destroy their culture.

This, in my mind, is the most important impact religion has had on Canada. It is the most important story in Canadian history, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Religion played a huge part in our history, and we need to illuminate it more.

For instance, religion provided the primary legal and political mandate to colonize, subjugate, and brutally destroy Indigenous peoples and cultures across Canada. The Crown used religious arguments and doctrine to suggest that it was both legal and beneficial to the Indigenous peoples to steal their land, murder them, destroy their economic capacity, remove their human rights, and systematically destroy their culture.

This, in my mind, is the most important impact religion has had on Canada. It is the most important story in Canadian history, after all.
    Ranking importance depends on many factors. The aboriginal impact is supremely important and pivotal at various points in time (and in the news in current times) but after those turning points, religions have had numerous other good and bad and important impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quite interesting and well written...

Faith a pillar of Canada’s foundation
    BY MICHAEL SWAN, THE CATHOLIC REGISTER
    November 15, 2015

"Greg Pennoyer calls it “living in a culture of amnesia.” Canadians may know bits and pieces of their history — the date of Confederation, where Henry Hudson froze to death, how General Wolfe defeated the Marquis de Montcalm on the Plains of Abraham. But we’ve lost the thread of the whole story.

You can’t understand how Canada came to be the country and society it is today without understanding its religious foundations, its religious history, Pennoyer insists. ..."

http://www.catholicregister.org/item...a-s-foundation

Me thinks Mr. Swan is right that religion shaped Canada in the past centuries but hopefully he realizes now that his Catholic brand and other
    religious dogma's are a dying breed. Hopefully anyone who is practicing religion do so under the understanding that we now live in more enlightened times and some of us don't buy into the bull.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

is faith a pillar of canada's foundation? i doubt anyone will successfully argue against that.

it's just that michael swan's and greg pennoyer's assessment of that particular pillar in our foundation is probably somewhat different than mine.

they seem to take much pride in that pillar whereas i look at it and see the impact of residential schools and pedophilia and refusing ships like the komagata maru and the st. louis and i am decidedly less proud of that pillar in my country's foundation.

if there is any amnesia in the culture we are currently living, it seems to me that swan and pennoyer suffer from it more than the rest of us.

i am happy to laud the current efforts within his faith's in canada 150 program going forward, but those goals going forward seem to require a drastic change from that previously laid pillar and will require a much different foundation than the one they have laid to date if it is going to be a successful program for the 1/3 of canadians that are catholic, never mind being a relevant program for the 2/3 of canadians who are not.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^The problem as I see it is not that faith was historically a pillar of Canada's foundation, but that anti-faith -- narrowly as bigotry against that one unfashionable religion of today, and widely as a narrow-minded scientism -- is UNACCEPTABLY prevalent as a prop on Canada's structure today. Especially when otherwise sane people, including far too many on these forums, trumpet their anti-faith, narrow or wide, as some sort of defining civilizational factor.

Which it is most decidedly not. We are at our most barbaric condemning religions or that one religion. No matter how many bombs they -- or we -- explode or drop.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    ^The problem as I see it is not that faith was historically a pillar of Canada's foundation, but that anti-faith -- narrowly as bigotry against that one unfashionable religion of today, and widely as a narrow-minded scientism -- is UNACCEPTABLY prevalent as a prop on Canada's structure today. Especially when otherwise sane people, including far too many on these forums, trumpet their anti-faith, narrow or wide, as some sort of defining civilizational factor.

Which it is most decidedly not. We are at our most barbaric condemning religions or that one religion. No matter how many bombs they -- or we -- explode or drop.
    I feel that we all have our belief systems and specific beliefs that are largely adopted, or inherited, as a matter of faith. They seem to describe the world as we want to see it.

^Of course. And my judgement of what is or is not barbarous is as valid as yours, and matters more to me besides.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 16-11-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Yes and No.

Maybe Yes because of the role (good and bad) played by early missionary organizations in setting up schools and hospitals and such.

But a stronger No because of the essential secularism of the government, which must have been remarkable in the mid-1800s (when most nations had a established/official religion (or sect thereof) and democracy was not only rare but often restricted by property rights). I suppose this essential separation between church and state had more to do with our peculiar ethno-religious character (a country where no single sect had a majority but Catholics were/are the largest group could not just have Anglicanism as the official religion) but still the non-religious nature of our state has been a key part of our past, present and future.

Sure we started out as an uneasy marriage of RC, Anglican and Methodist, became a more Protestant/RC nation in early 20th century and now moving to a postmodern RC/non-religious nation (with entrenched yet declining Protestant base and an array of non-Christian faiths), but the laicite and pluralism in faith matters is what matters most.

Ps- Sorry for the long post (from a secular liberal non-religious believer)

Most people who disagree with the assertions of the Catholic Register would deny that even the Crusades were inspired by faith, and would rather lay blame for them on some kind of imperialism. Yet the crusades started with the motto "God wills it".

So it was with the Dominion of Canada. 'God willed it.' The very same people would rather have the Dominion of Canada turn into the Condominium of Canada. As an immigrant myself I did not sign up for a trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    is faith a pillar of canada's foundation? i doubt anyone will successfully argue against that.
    I continue to argue - successfully or not - faith is never a pillar of any nation's foundation. Rather a society's primary faith(s) is shaped by its contemporary mores, norms and "values." As prime example, perceived improvements of practice by <insert whatever combination of Christian faiths> over earlier horrendous behaviours is a reflection of updated western societal accepted values rather than a sea change initiated by religion.

(I dare say inherent atrocities within Catholicism would have continued unabated if it weren't for the eventual societal abhorrent backlash. Not to suggest they've fully completed their current reformation.)

Without negating the significance of Pennoyer's mentioned denominational compromises, I suggest it is far more accurate to state that Canadian society continues to be the pillar of its religions.

This movie should be mandatory viewing for all concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    Most people who disagree with the assertions of the Catholic Register would deny that even the Crusades were inspired by faith, and would rather lay blame for them on some kind of imperialism. Yet the crusades started with the motto "God wills it".

So it was with the Dominion of Canada. 'God willed it.' The very same people would rather have the Dominion of Canada turn into the Condominium of Canada. As an immigrant myself I did not sign up for a trademark.
    Well, isn't it part of most religions to be in denial about a lot of things.
    How long was the Catholic Church in denial about the earth being round.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Great, detailed article.

The Black Church in Canada

...it is important to note that the historical vision of Canada has generally been disseminated in terms of English and French culture. Today, most Canadians think of Blacks only in terms of new immigrants, forgetting, denying or remaining ignorant of the fact that while Blacks have never exceeded two percent of the population, they have been a recorded part of the Canadian experience at least since the year 1608. Yet many Blacks who can trace up to eight or more generations in Canada are constantly asked, "And what Island do you come from?"

This misconception continues to the present and means that Black children entering the schools have no sense of Blacks being here for generations and, hence, that there is a 400-year presence and contribution of African Canadians in this country. These children naturally feel invisible and marginalised. Of equal importance to us is that such a distorted sense of history minimizes the claims of African people to a role in the making of Canada. Further, this distortion suggests that racism is a new phenomenon to this country.

Third, it is also important to note that early interpretations of the Black experience, both secular and religious, have often been depicted in ways which are degrading, presumptuous and/or simply inaccurate. Taking these factors into consideration, we concur with Colin A. Thomson that even apart from its intrinsic worth, Black Canadian history is valuable for what it reveals about the dominant society, and as we begin our historical survey, we will proceed accordingly.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/mjtm/1-5.htm

Note: footnote numbers removed.
    Last edited by KC; 18-11-2015 at 10:01 PM.