Thread: Designing for max. alcohol consumption

Default Designing for max. alcohol consumption

This may be old news to people these days but I found some of the comments in this article very interesting. Once people are aware of the tricks of the trade, hopefully people recognize them for what they are, and recognize that they are being manipulated, and so will avoid such establishments.

Why do the British drink so much?

"What the industry calls “vertical drinking” was the norm in these new venues. Smaller, higher tables replaced lower ones surrounded by seats, because drinkers are thought to consume more when they stand rather than sit. The loss of surfaces forced customers to hold onto drinks, making them drink faster. Noisy surroundings made chatting harder, so people drank instead. “Most bars have cleared out their interior walls and furniture to accommodate more of what the industry names ‘mass volume vertical drinkers’ (with the heart-warming humanistic touch for which it is famous),” write Simon Winlow and Steve Hall, a sociologist and a criminologist who have studied Britain’s night-time economy."

Marketing practices in pubs, bars and clubs, including happy hours and other drinks deals, encouraged the British to drink more, too. In 2005, when changes in the law allowed pubs to stay open for longer, managers at some large vertical-drinking pubs were reportedly offered bonuses of up to £20,000 if they used sales techniques – upselling singles to doubles, for instance – to exceed revenue targets. All this was happening as the real cost of purchasing alcohol, allowing for inflation and changes in disposable income, fell every year from 1984 to 2007. As one liver consultant put it to me: “My patient who’s drinking 100–120 units per week can afford to buy three times as much alcohol now as they did in the mid-1980s.”

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...-drink-so-much

Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    Disgusting.
    It's business, it's up to you to realize your drinkingtoo much not the bar you went to..

personal responsibility seems lost on people, its a free market man
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Very interesting article, thanks for posting

One tequila two tequila three tequila floor.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

There is a whole show about this. Bar Rescue. Jon Taffer is the creator of a lot of these techniques.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Long Term Contributor

Does this really surprise anyone? Having 'worked' both sides, this was never anything but a sales strategy and injection device.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Vertical drinking was the order of the day in my younger years in Scotland and London, but it seems so unappealing now I'm not so young !

Watch and learn Grasshopper, vertical drinking usually leads to horizontal passing out.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Great read, crazy how easy we can be manipulated by slick corporate tricks if we let ourselves be.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Great read, crazy how easy we can be manipulated by slick corporate tricks if we let ourselves be.
    "It wasn't my fault, the big corporation made me do it..."
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Does this really surprise anyone? Having 'worked' both sides, this was never anything but a sales strategy and injection device.
    Kinda like the whole Purple Flag initiative, which turns out to be an astroturfing organization funded by the largest spirits producer?
    Giving less of a damn than everÖ Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    "It wasn't my fault, the big corporation made me do it..."
    We're the 'product' of our environments.

About a year ago I was watching Anderson Cooper on CNN. He was talking to that r sole Piers Morgan. Anyway, Anderson said he was staying in a nice hotel in London and as he walked about London in the day time it was all full of shoppers and business people, all prim and proper. He said he could not believe what it was like at night when the bars closed. He was looking out his hotel window after the bars/clubs came out and he said it was a whole different picture. Young guys and girls binge drinking and throwing up, fighting, hollering, peeing, and making out all over the place. He said all kids of debauchery (well not that actual word but something like that). Anyway, Morgan just sat there looking like he had smelled something bad. I guess binge drinking is a real problem for young people.

Should underage children be allowed to drink at home? A huge proportion do.

Fascinating discussion throughout that starts at 23 minutes (listen to comment at 25 minute mark), or go straight to the 33:30 minute mark and listen for about a minute there. He talks about european drinking - VERY, VERY INTERESTING ABOUT THE ITALIANS AND ITALIAN MALE'S ATTITUDE ON DRINKING.

[email protected] for Wednesday December 9, 2015

and we take calls on whether parents should let their under age kids drink at home

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2015-1.3357867

One of several funny videos here...

Iliza Shlesinger - War Paint - 1st Hour Of Being Drunk
    Dec 17, 2013, Iliza Shlesinger on being drunk. A clip from her show 'War Paint' - Comedy Station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgeqLRV4oF8

Last edited by KC; 11-12-2015 at 12:17 PM.