Thread: Edmonton Judge named to Supreme Court of Canada

Default Speaks French? Edmonton Judge named to Supreme Court of Canada

Congrats Russell Brown.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/alber...nada-1.2490196

"His appointment is the result of broad consultations with prominent members of the legal community and we are confident he will be a strong addition to Canada's highest court."

A member of the bars of both British Columbia and Alberta, Brown currently sits in Edmonton, where he also serves as an appeal judge for both the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
    Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2015 at 01:21 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^He was a prof of mine back in law school. Congrats, indeed!

Interesting stuff, questions being raised about the Judges abiliity to speak French.

But wait! Is Russell Brown fluently bilingual? The announcement by the PM did not specify. According to present requirements, it is considered desirable, but so far not absolutely necessary. For justices not up to snuff in either of the two official languages, courses are made available, and most justices end with a certain amount of fluency. All documents and official arguments are aided by translation of the highest quality, it should go without saying.

That is not good enough for Liberal leader Justin Trudeau, who has recently laid out his position, which is complete bilingualism as a prerequisite for appointment to the SCC...

So what Justin is proposing is that a certain elite group who, like himself, have come by their bilingualism through lucky family circumstances or who are from Quebec or Ottawa or New Brunswick, where real bilingualism is easy to come by, should be the beneficiaries of affirmative action, even if it means sidelining many more highly qualified unilingual jurists who have not had the hundreds of thousands of hours necessary as an adult to becoming fluent in their second language. There are two big problems with Justin’s position that only true bilingualism can ensure every SCC member’s ability to function at full intellectual capacity at all times.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...gual-privilege

I have seen a lot of people complaining that this appointment is "another white male" as well.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm sure that many Edmontonians is very happy about this.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Language isn't terribly relevant. It is curious he was appointed the SCoC after being a judge for only two years.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

A good overview:

http://nationalmagazine.ca/Articles/...come-pick.aspx

Of note:
    Brown does, in fact, read, understand, and speak French without the need for an interpreter.

^^I think it has more to do with legal ability than experience as a judge. For example, Suzanne Côté was a lawyer with no judicial experience. Being a former professor / dean probably didn't hurt.

To get more diverse legal talent (i.e. not all old single white males), they probably should step away from Judges a bit more I think.

From the sounds of it they're also a little short on criminal law experience now.

Its interesting, Harper has appointed most of the Supreme Court now. But, those appointments have, it seems, been very mild conservatives, when the various recent judgements are looked at (most of them not in favour of his government).

Default Not elected, doesn't answer to citizens.

Given the role of the SCoC, and the decline of the Senate, in deciding the laws under which we live it would be nice to see a system that made them more directly accountable to citizens and members of Confederation.

I think we should also be questioning why French is given any special status in the SCoC, and federal government departments since Canada has grown far beyond southern Ontario and Quebec. Such language laws and discrimination is at best colonial and really shouldn't have a place in a country trying to end ethnic discrimination.

Then again many Canadians want discrimination based on race, age, and gender so maybe they, and maybe most, are comfortable with discrimination based on cultural, ethnicity or mother tongue.

I think we should work towards a country in which each citizen is seen as an individual rather than a member of an ethnic, racial, cultural, gender or age group but I understand that puts me in an even smaller minority. Which might explain why I would want to end discrimination favored by the powerful.