Thread: Edmonton Needs Gluttons

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton Needs Gluttons

I'm in the city of Maastricht, in the Netherlands. This beautiful city takes great pride in cleanliness in the business districts. Unlike Edmonton, where ugly cigarette butts and other litter is a common sight, here, they clean the streets daily. Even though the Dutch are heavy smokers, and the cobble-stoned streets can easily fill with butts between the stones, litter is cleaned daily. I saw a remarkable machine in use, and thought the Downtown Business Assovciation, The Old Strathcona Business Association and even the City of Edmonton should consider getting some. These things are incredibly quiet vaccuum systems. Check the video and see if you agree with me that it would be terrific for Edmonton to have some.

https://youtu.be/ZLWjmUnlzJE?t=14

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wouldn't mind that job. Cash in all the empties would be some tip.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Holland is probably the cleanest place on earth. Would be nice to have here for sure.

Count me in.

Looks awesome, assuming no snow.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I thought we had these but I don't see them around very much.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I've seen those, PRT, but mostly near the Kelly Ramsey building before it became a construction site. The difference there is that they seemed rather slow and unwieldy as compared to the young lad in the video. Note especially the part of the video where he reaches into a corner to grab some cigarette butts.

Also they're not pedestrian friendly. I always kept my distance from them. The little trailer that the Glutton video showed looked no more threatening than a shopping cart.

Exactly. They are not invasive at all. Another thing that they do here, is when the street sweeper works, there is a man with a leaf-blower to blow debris away from obstructions where the sweeper can't get to. That way they get all of the debris.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I'd rather C2E than work!

Any idea the cost of one? I did some searching but only came up with a used one that sold on an Australian auction site for around $13,000 AUS. Even doubling that, $25-30k isn't bad.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Really cool units. I like the idea, except I also wonder if people here wouldn't just toss more crap on the ground if they knew someone else was going to clean up their mess. More garbage 'receptacles' might be a better first training step.

~
    Last edited by KC; 17-07-2015 at 11:41 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

So it's basically a street vacuum.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Holland is probably the cleanest place on earth. Would be nice to have here for sure.
    Bit of a broad sweeping statement, my memory of Rotterdam for example, is of walking into a street in a not so nice part of downtown, and watching various trash cans on fire. The tourist areas are very clean. Singapore is the cleanest city I have been to (perhaps the greenest as well), I remember being woken up by people hand sweeping the road outside in the morning.

Whatever we do, it can't cost that much, and the whole city's reputation would be enhanced.

For some silly reason, I saw the headline and thought that we needed a more American-style population boost in this city in order to attract a Golden Corral.

Boy do I feel dumb...

I'd rather C2E than work!

I saw a "Madvac" being operated along Whyte a day or two ago. This is the first time I've seen one, but apparently the city has owned them since 2008. It looks like a larger, more cumbersome version of the Glutton, with the operator driving the thing around. Definitely more difficult to maneuver.

Taken from bestequipmentco.com.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?