Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TELUS to Invest $1 bln for Fiber Op

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    And this is why I have a dedicated Fibre connection to the DC. And not with Telus.

Sometimes life is actually good.
    So who is providing fiber direct to your house and what does it cost?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

*redacted* ran fibre (dedicated circuit) and lit up a connection into the Data Centre my company has racks in. We've got quite a few fibre drops running between various locations and our DC racks. Being a 'C' level employee and one of the founders the company paid for it as part of our larger IP/Network package we get. It's essentially a part of our local area Fibre network which they manage.

A couple other employees that need extreme bandwidth/need dedicated circuits for security also have fibre drops lit up.

This isn't your typical 'fibre' internet but a much different beast.

I won't go into too much details but you can find providers that will setup dedicated IP/Ethernet/etc. fibre circuits to your home/business for network gateways, network transit, internet gateways, or just an end point link to your DC/fibre closet. Prices vary widely depending on who is managing your account, what other services you've got and how things are being structured.

I will say total cost is less than $100/month much much less. Buuuut, there is a huge caveat of the scale of services we already utilize. ymmv

I am aware of commercial fibre products. We've had fibre between our offices for years however we don't need fibre to employees homes so I don't get that perk. I do get a substantial chunk of my bill covered as I do have to manage my servers and db's from home, as I did today.

It's fair to note that what you have is not really available to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I am aware of commercial fibre products. We've had fibre between our offices for years however we don't need fibre to employees homes so I don't get that perk. I do get a substantial chunk of my bill covered as I do have to manage my servers and db's from home, as I did today.

It's fair to note that what you have is not really available to most people.
    Well, at least they cover those expenses partially. The perks of our arrangement with our service providers grants us a couple extras and I took advantage of it.

I guess my point in posting was that I was excited to hear about Telus fibre but I heard of people having issues (anecdotal and not necessarily indicative of the overall quality of service, sometimes those that have issues are the only ones that are heard but are in the vast minority) so when given the chance to upgrade to the dedicated circuit versus Telus (which is being offered in our area) I knew what I was going to go with. 4k Netflix stream while watching multiple HD in car streams from the 24 hours of Daytona plus pulling down a few VMs and uploading some sim data and the S.O. is just damn sexy.

So, low signal from the pole. Cleaned up the connection to the house. Signal now solid. We'll see if she holds.

I'm not sure if anything in this article below is new or not - just posting...

"By the end of 2019 TELUS will have invested $46 billion in Alberta since 2000 ..."

TELUS Investing $4.5 Billion Through 2019 to Extend Advanced Communications Infrastructure Across Alberta
    Mon April 4, 2016

"The TELUS team is unwavering in our commitment to continue investing in the future of this resilient province during challenging economic times, directly providing more than 1,250 full-time employment opportunities to support our fibre optic network expansion, the construction of TELUS Sky, and other significant infrastructure projects in the province whilst simultaneously contracting 20 subcontractors who are creating hundreds of additional jobs," said Darren Entwistle, TELUS President and CEO. "By the end of 2019 TELUS will have invested $46 billion in Alberta since 2000 to provide Albertans with access to critical next-generation health, education, business and government services and solutions, securing Alberta's place in the growing digital economy and contributing to the province's economic health and success for generations to come."

http://seekingalpha.com/pr/16440912-...across-alberta

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

$46 billion dollars? I find that hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    $46 billion dollars? I find that hard to believe.
    In 16 years it's not so hard to believe when you factor in the new tower in Calgary, all of the TV infrastructure and all of the fibre infrastructure. plus 3G and 4G capabilities for cell service.

I still think it sounds really high. Especially considering all the money they were given by the Feds to bring broadband internet to rural communities in the early part of the 2000s. Also, building an office tower isn't the same as communications infrastructure and doesn't count.

I still think it sounds really high. Especially considering all the money they were given by the Feds to bring broadband internet to rural communities in the early part of the 2000s. Also, building an office tower isn't the same as communications infrastructure and doesn't count.
    It's an investment in Alberta, so yes, it absolutely does count.

Says you. Not in my books. Not the same kind of investment. They could have leased a building, they could have stayed where they were at, or another dozen possible options. With communications infrastructure... You can't have high speed internet, LTE, etc without the technology in place. You can always find an office... And considering Calgary's current vacancy rate, they probably would have been wise to hold off and lease.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What doesn't count is any money given through direct investment or subsidy by any level of government. That is not an investment by a company, that is investment by the government.

^that too.

Says you. Not in my books. Not the same kind of investment. They could have leased a building, they could have stayed where they were at, or another dozen possible options. With communications infrastructure... You can't have high speed internet, LTE, etc without the technology in place. You can always find an office... And considering Calgary's current vacancy rate, they probably would have been wise to hold off and lease.
    Says me and says the story. I'm not going to get into this with you because your mind won't be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Says me and says the story. I'm not going to get into this with you because your mind won't be changed.
    It's a press release, not a story. It's corporate spin & propaganda straight from the horse's mouth, not verified & established facts.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    It's a press release, not a story. It's corporate spin & propaganda straight from the horse's mouth, not verified & established facts.
    Fair point.

Had a Telus rep at my door the other night to ask permission to run lines to my house. She also mention another Shaw rate increase in August. Their fibre speeds go from from 15 to 150, which is great. I'll likely ditch Shaw and their never-ending rate increases once I can accurately compare the Telus offerings and speeds.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Shaw hikes TV, internet and phone rates

haw is raising rates for residential TV, internet and phone plans later this summer, but the company is not publishing any more details at the moment of what those rate hikes will look like.

A statement on the Calgary-based company's website says only that "customers will receive advanced notification of the rate change through their monthly invoice."

A customer service representative told a CBC employee — who is a Shaw customer — the increases will vary from package to package:

Almost all internet packages are going up by $2, but some will go up by more than that.
    Most TV packages are increasing in price by $3 to $5.
    Residential phone lines are going up by $1.
    The rates are scheduled to go up on Aug.1.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...hike-1.3620352

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Are they not following suit from the other providers who raised rates?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Had a Telus rep at my door the other night to ask permission to run lines to my house. She also mention another Shaw rate increase in August. Their fibre speeds go from from 15 to 150, which is great. I'll likely ditch Shaw and their never-ending rate increases once I can accurately compare the Telus offerings and speeds.
    Our buildings are wired. I have Fibre going in today.

Right now I'm paying $65 (after tax) through Distributel for Shaw's snail-slow 15mbps/512kbps, with unlimited data. Shaw's network has been on and off for most of the past two weeks, and was down for over a day, and despite lots of mentions of Twitter they refused to acknowledge any service issues. Trying Fibre 50mbps/10mpbs, 450gb data for $87 (after tax) with a 3 month deal at half price. I'm concerned that 450gb won't be enough, but if the service is good I'll pay the extra $15 for unlimited.

I'll let you know how I like it.

Edit: no contract, no install fees, no rental charges
    Last edited by Chmilz; 12-06-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Are they not following suit from the other providers who raised rates?
    I doubt it. Shaw has 2-3 rate hikes a year. I just ditched over half my channels in order to bring my bill under $200, but I doubt it'll stay that way with Shaw's rate hikes.

In January-Feb 2013 my Shaw bill was $164.90. My bill in January-Feb 2015 was $202.90. My bill in January-Feb 2016 was $222.60. I didn't change ANY services in that time period.

My theory is that they increase their rates to cover the customers that have left Shaw for Telus.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord...gers-1.3435432. Global had a bit on noon hour last week when shaw announced their rate increase.

I just downgraded my cable and upgraded my internet dropped my bill from ~$174-130 ( with Shaw), Will wait to see how that pans out. I really do not like the Telus cable box user interface (optic) . Although they just might "entice" me to bundle my services

C2E Continued Contributor

I really do not like the Telus cable box user interface (optic) . Although they just might "entice" me to bundle my services
    Thats the first time I've heard someone prefer the Shaw box over the Telus one. The two features I like the best of Telus' system is being able to filter the channel listing to only show the channels you're subscribed to, and of course the Optik TV phone app is great.

Does the Telus Opitk rely on the speed of the internet connection To which one subscribes? I experience lag when using my parents.

C2E Continued Contributor

Does the Telus Opitk rely on the speed of the internet connection To which one subscribes? I experience lag when using my parents.
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. But I think it has more to do with the digital set boxes both Shaw and Telus provide. I found both are relatively slow, but I think it has more to do with the hardware of the boxes themselves, rather than connection speed. The boxes are enough to get the job done to keep costs down.

For example. I've used many different small media boxes for play back of Netflix, and personal video library, they've all seemed slow, similar to the Telus/Shaw boxes. However I'm using a beefy PC as my media player for Netflix and video library (Intel I7, 12 GB of RAM) and it is fast to browse, does not have any of the lag or delayed browsing when using a lesser powered device.

C2E Posting Power

I'm currently doing a fibre build in Tofino and Ucluelet for the remainder of the summer. In these communities; every customer receives HSIA 160 down 30 up with 600 gbs including all the goodies like extender and wireless stb's.

I won't be on this site very often as I'm currently camping during my off hours and doing photography. But I noticed this thread and figured I would say something - Strathcona residents should be very excited. Same with West Jasper Place and Londonderry.

My understanding is that Optik doesn't rely on the speed of the internet package you pay for. The equipment is able to split the signal to give the set top box unthrottled bandwidth while limiting your internet to what you're paying for.

C2E Posting Power

My understanding is that Optik doesn't rely on the speed of the internet package you pay for. The equipment is able to split the signal to give the set top box unthrottled bandwidth while limiting your internet to what you're paying for.
    Your HSIA is separate from the Optik portion. If you have a 5HD 0SD stream and 50 mbps rate; that would mean your line must be capable of carrying the 50 plus 7mbps for each HD stream.

So; 7X5 + 50 is what the line carries in that case. Optik and Internet as you can see are separate from one another. Internet usage will not lag you down unless you're improperly provisioned - which is very rare.

This is subject to loop lengths, distances to ports, whether or not you have a direct feed to the Central Office. Etc Etc. But if your TV is pixelating it is more than likely issues with inside wiring in the house causing line code violations.

Ah the joys of xWDM..

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    Ah the joys of xWDM..
    It is an incredible way to ride out a recession.

Telus is pushing hard now. I'm on the Internet 100 fibre plan (100 down/30 up, 550GB cap, $98/month), they just called and I'm being switched to their new Internet 150 plan (150 up and down, 1TB cap, $85/month).

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Telus is pushing hard now. I'm on the Internet 100 fibre plan (100 down/30 up, 550GB cap, $98/month), they just called and I'm being switched to their new Internet 150 plan (150 up and down, 1TB cap, $85/month).
    Dang, lucky... my building is ineligible so says Telus
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

Is there any way to find out when neighbourhoods will get the new fibre service? I know in my neighbourhood it is currently unavailable and when I asked about the progress of expanding tI my neighbourhood the sales rep had no idea. Is there any kind of plan that's been made public as to which neighbourhoods will be tackled next? I completely understand it will take some time to be implemented everywhere, but I would love to just have a general idea as to when I might some extra speed cause right now the speed cap is limited. I called TELUS and got them to reduce my rate by $30 a month and unlimited data for a full year. So for the short term i will cope with some concerns with the speed currently available where I live. I sure miss living in the U of A neighbourhoods where any new speed upgrades were always available first.

Excellent. Thanks. Strange that downtown and Rogers place and the healthcare campus at the Royal Alex plus Blatchford and NAIT have no anticipated future date other than "future phases."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12