Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TELUS to Invest $1 bln for Fiber Op

Default TELUS to Invest $1 bln for Fiber Op

"TELUS is investing $1 billion in Edmonton to connect more than 90 per cent of homes and businesses directly to the company's state-of-the-art fibre optic network over the next six years"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new...k=MW_news_stmp

C2E Super Addict

"TELUS is committed to better connecting citizens by linking homes, hospitals, clinics, doctors, pharmacists, businesses, schools, libraries and municipal governments directly to our fibre optic network, bringing advanced broadband services and unparalleled security to the entire connected community...
    This is rather good timing. These new "virtual" services will be able to pick up the slack caused by the inevitable public sector layoffs that will likely start next year as the slump picks up pace.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

I'd rather C2E than work!

Also 1500 new jobs in Edmonton & $100,000 donation to EPL.

*EDIT* $120,000 donation to EPL on behalf of employees
    Last edited by Alex.L; 19-06-2015 at 04:11 PM.

I hope Telus drop a few bob on getting some technology that'll stop me from spam calls that evidently originate from my own home phone number.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Looks like I may be switching to Telus in a few years. Just think, in 12 Shaw rate hikes we could have fiber!

P.S. Another Shaw rate hike coming in August (2nd this year).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

150mbps. Yawn. Where's our gigabit at reasonable prices?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Looks like I may be switching to Telus in a few years. Just think, in 12 Shaw rate hikes we could have fiber!

P.S. Another Shaw rate hike coming in August (2nd this year).
    Switch.

Tek Savvy. Distributel. They both re-sell Shaw internet for less and offer unlimited data.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I hope Telus drop a few bob on getting some technology that'll stop me from spam calls that evidently originate from my own home phone number.
    You too. I thought I was the only one that got calls from my own number.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    So, do the Teluses of the world earn income off spam calls? I imagine so. The post off does on junk mail doesn't it?

So I think the homeowner should be able to earn an income on every call that we receive, every piece of junk mail stuck in our mail boxes and inboxes. Say 10 cents a call, 19-cents per junk mail item. The spammers that hit tens of thousands or millions of households would then see their bills rise the more pain they inflict. Double the charge when we apparent spam ourselves. (How can that work anyway?)

Great news on the upgrade by the way. Nice to see it going to the users and not the executive pensions and salaries...

JR Shaw's $17.9M in earnings rank No. 1 in annual compensation survey

Dan Healing, Calgary Herald, June 12, 2015

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...nsation-survey
    Last edited by KC; 19-06-2015 at 10:09 PM.

I'm a bit confused by the article.. They say eventually they can do 150mbps? Shaw already has 250mbps... Or is Telus saying my download speed will actually reach 150mbps?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Actually reach. This is an upgrade to gigabit speeds.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    So, do the Teluses of the world earn income off spam calls? I imagine so. The post off does on junk mail doesn't it?

So I think the homeowner should be able to earn an income on every call that we receive, every piece of junk mail stuck in our mail boxes and inboxes. Say 10 cents a call, 19-cents per junk mail item. The spammers that hit tens of thousands or millions of households would then see their bills rise the more pain they inflict. Double the charge when we apparent spam ourselves. (How can that work anyway?)

Great news on the upgrade by the way. Nice to see it going to the users and not the executive pensions and salaries...

Telus cannot control who calls you and does not earn any money for the actions of telemarketers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    150mbps. Yawn. Where's our gigabit at reasonable prices?
    A fibre optic cable can easily handle 1 terra bytes per second. 150mbps is just the starting point as it does not make sense to offer more until the demand warrants it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So why Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponza View Post

Telus cannot control who calls you and does not earn any money for the actions of telemarketers.
    So only the originating provider earns income? I'd have thought that there would be charges between telcos for long distance calls. So when I make a long distance call, via Telus, Telus takes 100% of the fee?

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    So why Edmonton?
    Yeah, why Edmonton?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why not Edmonton?

Only Canadian city and one of 24 worldwide IBM Smarter Cities.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...challenge.aspx

Open City Initiative
    http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2014/06/17/...-an-open-city/
    Last edited by Hilman; 20-06-2015 at 09:39 AM.

They've had fibre optics in some parts out East for a few years now, and it is indeed very fast. Huge difference from high-speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FibreOP

Incidentally, I wrote a high school physics paper on fibre optics in the early 90's when nobody even knew what the internet was, and how it was going to revolutionize communications by replacing old telephone lines. It's taken awhile.

So will this faster service cost an arm and 2 legs now?
    be offended! figure out why later...

How likely is it they'll bring this to mature neighbourhoods? I noticed they said "90%" of the city.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^ I'd say highly likely, especially if you live close to downtown or the universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponza View Post

So only the originating provider earns income? I'd have thought that there would be charges between telcos for long distance calls. So when I make a long distance call, via Telus, Telus takes 100% of the fee?
    You were comparing these calls to junk mail.

Most of these tele-marketers are operating outside Canada so TELUS or any Canadian telco/cableco would receive very little money (it's the service provider in the other country who get's most of the money, yes the Canadian company get's a small settlement amount for carrying the final leg of the call). In the Canada Post example they get 100% of the revenue for delivering the mail vs. the <1% in this example (apples to oranges comparison).

If the Canadian companies had any ability to eliminate these calls they would as the pennies they get in revenue are not worth the effort they create for their customers.

Can't wait to ditch shaw and watch them crumble in Edmonton. So tired of having my service cut and rates increased every year.

Of course this is only a bandaid. The solution is to have public internet provision run as a utility. It can be done, it has been done (even in Alberta - see Olds), and there is no reason for us not to do it.

How likely is it they'll bring this to mature neighbourhoods? I noticed they said "90%" of the city.
    Mature neighborhoods will be first. They have the oldest copper infrastructure so it's makes sense to replace them first so they can save on capital investment in the aging copper plant.

Newer neighborhoods with copper have very good internet service already that can handle speeds upto 100 mbps so getting fibre to these places is not as critical.

I have Xplornet satellite and it is so very brutal, I had Telus wifi too but it seldom worked so I cancelled it. I am on an acreage tho. Wish I could get something better out here. Probably not in this life tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Can't wait to ditch shaw and watch them crumble in Edmonton. So tired of having my service cut and rates increased every year.

Of course this is only a bandaid. The solution is to have public internet provision run as a utility. It can be done, it has been done (even in Alberta - see Olds), and there is no reason for us not to do it.
    That's interesting. I wonder how rates compare between Olds and Edmonton.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I may have to move to Olds.

I switched from Telus to Shaw after having horrid service. My Internet was constantly dropping and they basically told me there was nothing they could do about it. Shaw has been great for me and in terms of price the two are comparable. The only big difference in Telus's favour at this point is up speeds. You can 20+ Mbps where Shaw only offers 3 Mbps. With online backups and photos in the cloud up speed is becoming more of big deal.

Unfortunately switching back to Telus would likely cost me hundreds of dollars as the wire to my house was torn down by a garbage truck and inside my house I've been told the wiring would have to be upgraded as well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Up speed is a big deal also if you Skype.

I actually switched from Shaw to Telus about a year ago and I have no regrets. The best thing about Telus is that I don't have to worry about speed drops during busy times (early evening) like I did with Shaw. That was super annoying.

It would be very interesting to see what percentage of high speed customers use Shaw vs Telus, and how those percentages have changed over the years.

Found a partial answer to my own question: "Shaw has nearly 1.9 million Internet customers compared with roughly 1.4 million at Telus"

Although the article seems to imply that Telus is gaining on Shaw due to it's Optik tv service.
    Source

I'd say they're also gaining on Shaw because Shaw has endless rate increases, causing people to leave them. Shaw put rates up in Feb, and I found an old Shaw bill from exactly 2 years ago where I was paying $40 less on identical services. Now, just 6 months later, they're raising their prices again. That's just insane.

Unfortunately the alternatives for 100 Mbps serice either don't exist, or are more money than I'm currently paying with Shaw.

I'd say they're also gaining on Shaw because Shaw has endless rate increases, causing people to leave them. Shaw put rates up in Feb, and I found an old Shaw bill from exactly 2 years ago where I was paying $40 less on identical services. Now, just 6 months later, they're raising their prices again. That's just insane.

Unfortunately the alternatives for 100 Mbps serice either don't exist, or are more money than I'm currently paying with Shaw.
    They may have been raising their prices but unless they raise them higher than their competitors it doesn't make any sense to switch. I just reviewed Telus and Shaw, and if you're looking at the base packages (15-30 Mbps) you're better off with Shaw. On the high end you can get better down and transfer amounts from Shaw for similar money but their up speeds suck so it's going to depend on your needs.

Good news.
    Now what we need are more professional and technical Telus jobs based out of Edmonton.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

This will be a boon to business as it makes Edmonton a even more desirable place to open up shop. Anyone know if there will be a minimum system requirement for this? Will it work with 720P fr?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    This will be a boon to business as it makes Edmonton a even more desirable place to open up shop. Anyone know if there will be a minimum system requirement for this? Will it work with 720P fr?
    Although they will need to come to your house, upgrade your lines, and provide you a new router, it shouldn't affect your computer at all. The routers down East they install in your home are actually wireless.

The difference in technology is the line between your internet provider to your home: fiber optic (pulses of light) vs copper wire (pulses of electricity).
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 21-06-2015 at 10:07 PM.

^ Thanks. We've been with Telus for about 6 years now and quite often our signal gets very pixelated. Often we lose signal. When we bought our 46" flat screen tv 1080p was just coming into the newer sets. We think the reason why our tv gets pixelated as much as it does is because of our 720p and Telus Optic tv is compromising our signal flow.

^i doubt it. Likely something else causing the interference.

Probably just need a new modem/router.

^ I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of wifi devices we currently have going on at once. I have a desktop, laptop (seldom used anymore) and a iPad and a iPod Touch. When Telus begins to roll this out it probably wouldn't fix our situation. I tried calling tech support and they have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Probably just need a new modem/router.
    That's what I was thinking but this is a relatively new router maybe a year old.

Last edited by envaneo; 21-06-2015 at 10:50 PM.

^From Telus?

The computer is 10 years old but that should affect our tv signal

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^From Telus?
    Yes, that router is from Telus

Could be a funky router. Those things they give you for free are cheap cheap cheap. I had similar problems, router replaced, all better. Get Telus to replace router for you. They send you a new one, you send them old one back.

^TY, good idea. The tv signal comes through the router as well right?

envaneo, the first thing you should do is set one of the antennas horizontal, leave the other one vertical. This could make a big difference because if they're both vertical they interfere with each other and you also don't get a signal going straight up, only sideways.

Also the router you have sends out a 2.4 Ghz signal which can be easily interfered with especially if your neighbours are using the same band, and even more so if they are on the same channel. You can try switching the router to a different channel (go to 192.168.1.254 in a browser and login as admin - password is on sticker unless you changed it - then go to wireless settings / advanced settings). This could also make a big difference.

If that doesn't work Telus can come and install an additional device which generates a second network on the 5Ghz band. The 5 Ghz band has much greater range and strength and is less likely to be interfered with.

^TY, good idea. The tv signal comes through the router as well right?
    Yes. Wirelessly, and that's the problem.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ TV signals are hardwired to the router and then hardwired to the TV's (new wireless set top boxes are out but I doubt he has one). The only thing wireless on that router is his WiFi.

If you are having weak WiFi, call TELUS and they will come out and investigate the issue and put in a secondary 5GHz router (they did this in our house as the upstairs had a weak WiFi signal).
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-06-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Got Telus setup in my new place, and one of my TV portals (wired via cat 6) was getting pixelation, and the other one was not (wireless). Turns out, I had the cat 6 line running right next to a couple power cords, and it seems that was causing the interference. So I just re-routed those lines slightly, and haven't had any pixelation since on the wired set top box. Might be something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by lobbdogg; 22-06-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    ^ TV signals are hardwired to the router and then hardwired to the TV's (new wireless set top boxes are out but I doubt he has one). The only thing wireless on that router is his WiFi.
    The wireless boxes have been out for a few years already. If his tv was hardwired he likely wouldn't be having any issues.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did he say he had a wireless set top box, I didn't see him post that? I have had pixilation issues with a hardwired line from TELUS.
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-06-2015 at 11:17 AM.

No, but the wireless router he posted a picture of strongly suggests he has.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Seems like their normal wireless router that is used for hardwired connections. In order to use the wireless TV set top box, I believe you you need an Access point which is $100 and connects to your router. Maybe he should tell us which set top box he has to be clear.

envaneo, does your TV box look like

or this

[

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/tv/hardware.jsp

Call in, tell them you're experiencing pixelation. There are diagnostics that can be run on your line, as well as troubleshooting that can be done within their internal systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    envaneo, the first thing you should do is set one of the antennas horizontal, leave the other one vertical. This could make a big difference because if they're both vertical they interfere with each other and you also don't get a signal going straight up, only sideways.

Also the router you have sends out a 2.4 Ghz signal which can be easily interfered with especially if your neighbours are using the same band, and even more so if they are on the same channel. You can try switching the router to a different channel (go to 192.168.1.254 in a browser and login as admin - password is on sticker unless you changed it - then go to wireless settings / advanced settings). This could also make a big difference.

If that doesn't work Telus can come and install an additional device which generates a second network on the 5Ghz band. The 5 Ghz band has much greater range and strength and is less likely to be interfered with.
    Very solid data here thanks. I don't have time to do this now but 12 hours from now is when time is my own for about 4 hours. I hadn't changed the pw at all. Thanks Vincent.

Call in, tell them you're experiencing pixelation. There are diagnostics that can be run on your line, as well as troubleshooting that can be done within their internal systems.
    I'll be doing that after wrestling tonight. I don't get in until about 10:30pm. First order of business on a Monday night after work Monday night Raw, while the wife is cooking dinner of course. Thanks

Seems like their normal wireless router that is used for hardwired connections. In order to use the wireless TV set top box, I believe you you need an Access point which is $100 and connects to your router. Maybe he should tell us which set top box he has to be clear.

or this

[

This is my router

Thanks guys, I hope to be back with a update tomorrow morning

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

or this

[

This is my router
    I see that, the question was which set top box connects to your TV from the two shown above?

Ahh, I see. Back in 10 min

Looks like its the first one in your image

Last edited by envaneo; 22-06-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Got to get ready for work, back after midnight, thanks guys.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Definetly not wireless.

Nice cat
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-06-2015 at 01:17 PM.

In that case, most of my advice won't matter. Disregard and call Telus.

Still trying to find some time this week to get to Telus. I'll try later this morning but last night there was no pixelation watching wrestling.

While we're on the subject of being disappointed in your internet, try a speedtest, but don't use Speedtest - they get paid to give you inflated results.

This was from about a month ago. Ran the tests all within a couple minutes.

• Speedtest: Down 26.68Mbps / Up 2.73Mbps
    • Testmy.net: Down 7Mbps / Up 2.2Mbps
    • SpeedOf.me: Down 7.63Mbps / Up 2.88Mbps

It's obvious that Speedtest is nothing but a shill at this point, and we don't get anywhere near what we pay for. Of course, they just claim "up to", which is code for "you get internet-ish when we feel like it".

While we're on the subject of being disappointed in your internet, try a speedtest, but don't use Speedtest - they get paid to give you inflated results.

It's obvious that Speedtest is nothing but a shill at this point, and we don't get anywhere near what we pay for. Of course, they just claim "up to", which is code for "you get internet-ish when we feel like it".
    I don't think it's that Speedtest inflates it's result as much as Speedtest defaults to servers that have the max bandwidth available to your provider. For example Testmy.net gave a result far less than Speedtest until I switched Speedtest to test against a server in Dallas the same as Testmy.net used.

It looks like Speedtest is aiming to tell you the max speeds you can get under ideal circumstances. The reality is it doesn't matter how big the pipe to your provider is for individual connections as there will be bottlenecks at the source. The benefit to a big pipe with your provider is the ability to handle multiple connections without degrading.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 23-06-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Still trying to find some time this week to get to Telus. I'll try later this morning but last night there was no pixelation watching wrestling.
    Don't bother going to a Telus store. Just call 310-TECH or 310-MYTV.

I did a speed test about 4 months ago as the company I wanted to work from home needed one. The results were right in the middle of the dial. When Fiber gets installed even at $15/hour Alberta is going to be a even more desirable place for work from home options.

Don't bother going to a Telus store. Just call 310-TECH or 310-MYTV.
    TY so much. I hadn't thought about the Telus store and I went by it in City Centre Mall Friday staggering out of Rickies with 2 beer in my system.

^Staggering after two beer? Lightweight.

Man, I wish I could stagger after 2 beer

Nevertheless, looking forward to the eventual upgrade. Not that I really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^Staggering after two beer? Lightweight.
    I'm diabetic and these was a Molson Dry

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Man, I wish I could stagger after 2 beer

Nevertheless, looking forward to the eventual upgrade. Not that I really need it.
    I slightly exaggerated that staggering.

And I didn't know diabetes did or didn't play a role.

^ I went out on a limb.

I've been noticing though we get high pixelation on our tv on the sports channels in the 900's. I was watching wrestling some old school matches and the pixelation got so dense it froze the channel and we get that black screen with a signal lost error. After work tonight I'm calling that number above when I get home (about 10:30pm).

One thing you can do is check for electrical interference, and keep power cords away from whatever cable is feeding the input on the set top box. Fixed the pixelation I was getting on one of my set top boxes.

Wrestling? Thought that stuff was for the kids.

Currently:

Download Speed: 16349 kbps (2043.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4852 kbps (606.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 6 ms
    Jitter: 0 ms
    6/24/2015, 4:13:49 PM

I did not go to Speedtest but the Telus one
    Last edited by envaneo; 24-06-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Kids? What?

Its a soap opera.

Ok I called Telus and they're sending a tech guy out tomorrow.

https://fibre.telus.com/iwantfibre/
    Last edited by envaneo; 24-06-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Ha ha!

So a nice young man from Telus came by my door yesterday selling the fibre update. I'm taking a look at it as it sounds like they'll do the entire hook-up for free which eliminates my major obstacle. Current pricing will give me 100/20 from Telus for the same price as Shaw is giving me 60/3.

^ Is that $100 for 20Gb a second?

^ Is that $100 for 20Gb a second?
    100Mbps up, 20Mbps down

I have Telus at 15 Mbps but I find my problems are not with the speed into my house, but the speed from my wifi box to my laptop. Sometimes I only get 5 or 8 or 10 Mbps, but if I hardwire my laptop with a cat 5 cable I get 15 Mbps consistently.

In other words, I think even if I had 100 Mbps into my houseI would still only get 5 or 8 or 10 Mbps sometimes through my wifi.

15-20 Mbps are about average for most home users.

Download speeds are the issue, upload speeds no problem.

I have Telus at 15 Mbps but I find my problems are not with the speed into my house, but the speed from my wifi box to my laptop. Sometimes I only get 5 or 8 or 10 Mbps, but if I hardwire my laptop with a cat 5 cable I get 15 Mbps consistently.

In other words, I think even if I had 100 Mbps into my houseI would still only get 5 or 8 or 10 Mbps sometimes through my wifi.
    Sounds like you're running 802.11b which caps out at 11Mbps. I'm running 802.11n at home which caps out 300Mbps.

That would be fine for a single connection but between my stuff, the kids stuff, my wife's stuff, and the TV (which is strictly streaming), I like having lots of down. Frankly, though, the only reason I'm considering the 100/20 plan for the up speeds as 50 down is doing fine right now. I have complete offline backups of over two terabytes of data so more up is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

That would be fine for a single connection but between my stuff, the kids stuff, my wife's stuff, and the TV (which is strictly streaming), I like having lots of down. Frankly, though, the only reason I'm considering the 100/20 plan for the up speeds as 50 down is doing fine right now. I have complete offline backups of over two terabytes of data so more up is good.
    We have a iPad, laptop, desktop, and a iPod Touch all connected. We don't do any streaming. When I upload to yt its usually there a few minutes after its published. Monetizing yt slows yt down a bit though. I'm trying to get a new pc for music production. My laptop is ok but its not expandable and is running out of room. Laptop hard drives are rare. Memory Express I think has 1. For music production due to large sound libraries, 2 Tb is nothing. I'm thinking 2 6TB drives minimum.

Sounds like you're running 802.11b which caps out at 11Mbps. I'm running 802.11n at home which caps out 300Mbps.
    Actually no. I do sometimes get the full 15, but it's just horribly inconsistent. Telus actually installed a brand new wifi unit about a month ago to solve this problem and it seemed to solve it initially but it's getting inconsistent again.

We have a iPad, laptop, desktop, and a iPod Touch all connected. We don't do any streaming. When I upload to yt its usually there a few minutes after its published. Monetizing yt slows yt down a bit though. I'm trying to get a new pc for music production. My laptop is ok but its not expandable and is running out of room. Laptop hard drives are rare. Memory Express I think has 1. For music production due to large sound libraries, 2 Tb is nothing. I'm thinking 2 6TB drives minimum.
    2+ TB is just my dedicated offline. My total local storage is 10+ TB right now, but you're right, if you're doing actual music production you're going to chew up a lot of space. Fortunately spinning disks are cheap these days. For up speeds I just want a full backup not to take over three months.

Actually no. I do sometimes get the full 15, but it's just horribly inconsistent. Telus actually installed a brand new wifi unit about a month ago to solve this problem and it seemed to solve it initially but it's getting inconsistent again.
    Can't help there as I don't use my ISP's wifi router. Since our house is mostly Apple there's advantage to using a Time Capsule for our wifi. Very solid for speed and I can put upstairs where I don't get as much signal drop. Ours is an old house with a lot of lathe and plaster that seems to impact the wifi range.

Here's an article on the "Telus Future Home" - in the parking lot of the Space Sciences Centre aka Telus World of Science....

Excerpt from the Q&A
    "A We’ve started west of downtown here in Edmonton. Our plans are going so well we’re able to accelerate some of our deployments and some neighbourhoods. We’ve also been laying fibre optics for some time in new developments and new subdivisions."

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...of-fibre-optic

Here's an except from the comment section. Note the comment about Europe...

5 Comments
    Login to Facebook to Post a Comment

Sieg Bressmer
    Europe has this technology for years nothing new here for me. It seems Canada is always lagging behind.
    Friday at 5:24am

Paul Arola
    No, Europe is still mostly VDSL2 actually and usually slower speeds than what we're doing here. The largest fiber deployments are still in the US (Verizon) and parts of Japan and South Korea.
    Last edited by KC; 04-10-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Also, another billion committed to Vancouver.

So they finally ran the fibre to the house in the last couple of weeks so this morning a nice young man hooked up the house. I unplugged the Shaw connection, turned on the fibre connection and all was good for about 10 hours. Then the Internet dropped and the fibre box has a fail light on it. Pretty much in line with my ongoing history with Telus.

Fortunately I have not disconnected the Shaw account yet so I'm good until Telus can fix this.

Meanwhile, while Telus spends billions trenching in areas with underground wiring, they have no plans to string fiber on the poles behind my house any time soon.

No trenching in my neighbourhood, Westmount. The fibre is all run on the poles.

FWIW, while they're running the fibre they're not actually offering fibre speed. There may be a benefit if you have multiple services running on it (TV, phone, Internet). For me it was just a means of getting them to rerun the connection to my house for free since the old line had been torn out by a garbage truck.

The future is not friendly

No trenching in my neighbourhood, Westmount. The fibre is all run on the poles.

FWIW, while they're running the fibre they're not actually offering fibre speed. There may be a benefit if you have multiple services running on it (TV, phone, Internet). For me it was just a means of getting them to rerun the connection to my house for free since the old line had been torn out by a garbage truck.
    I'm pretty sure once they get a certain % of serviced areas converted to fibre they'll start marketing higher speeds. The benefit to having fibre to your house is that it opens you up to those speeds as they roll out the new tech.

It's fascinating to me that right off the bat the problem I'm having with Telus is symptomatically identical the problem that led me to leave them: Internet going down for a time and then coming back for a time, repeat. :/

Went down within 10 hours of hookup. It was late and we have an alternate connection so I left it for morning. It was back Saturday morning so I switched things back to Telus. Down again this morning.

Going to have breakfast and a coffee to steel myself for the upcoming trial by support.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 31-01-2016 at 09:37 AM.

And this is why I have a dedicated Fibre connection to the DC. And not with Telus.

Sometimes life is actually good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast