Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Calgary to announce their own new downtown arena plans

Fallout from the Calgary municipal election continues: http://albertapolitics.ca/2017/10/ca...y-back-office/

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Fallout from the Calgary municipal election continues: http://albertapolitics.ca/2017/10/ca...y-back-office/
    Tried reading in between the lines for a story about the areana....couldn't find it. Is this link relevant to the price of tea in China? No, so who cares....

Thanks Moa.^^maclac - pizz up a rope

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I wonder how everyone would feel about Nenshi, if indeed the flames go elsewhere. The trickle down effect from them leaving , would be felt very soon
    'Cept there's really nowhere for them to go. Seattle is already tagged for an expansion franchise at $500 million - no way the owners let Murray Edwards take his ball there. I know, Saskatoon!
    Saskatchewan just built a new stadium for the Roughriders, just saying. Saskatchewan is Canada's hotbed of hockey and would most certainly support an NHL team. SaskTel Place seats 15,200 and has the skyboxes and suites and all that stuff. An NHL team would be successful there. They certainly could and would for sure if promised a new state of the art rink. No joke.

There's no way the saskatoon market could fill an NHL sized arena with NHL sized ticket costs for 42 games a year. Just no.

If by NHL sized ticket costs you mean Florida NHL ticket costs I think they probably could.

Northern Hockey Market NHL ticket prices? No chance.
    There can only be one.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Minimum salaries to not be any lower than $55.4 million, U.S. Much as I like Saskatoon, don't think they can make a go of NHL costs.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    There's no way the saskatoon market could fill an NHL sized arena with NHL sized ticket costs for 42 games a year. Just no.
    It's actually 45 games (41 regular season, 4 pre-season), plus playoffs. And very much agreed. The entire province of Saskatchewan would be just barely able to support an NHL team economically if they all lived in Saskatoon or Regina. But unfortunately, they're spread out over a few hundred thousand square kilometers. As it stands, Regina and Saskatoon are both about a quarter of the size of Edmonton and Calgary in terms of population and/or economy. And even less than that in terms of large corporate support.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II
    If by NHL sized ticket costs you mean Florida NHL ticket costs I think they probably could.

That business model doesn't work in Regina or Saskatoon, because it's predicated on the NHL club being subsidized by other events at the arena. The business model of the Panthers, and I would imagine numerous other "Southern" or non-traditional hockey markets, is that having the NHL team typically gets them sole-use rights to the local arena. Even if the NHL team loses money or just barely breaks even, the revenue from other events still makes it a profitable venture. And it lets the owners claim with a straight face that they're losing money, because they probably are on hockey itself.

Seattle city council just approved a $600 million renovation to their old arena to prepare for an NHL franchise.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...cid=spartandhp

The team could come from an existing team relocating to Seattle or adding a 32nd franchise. The report names the Calgary Flames and Arizona Coyotes, a pair of teams with ongoing arena concerns, as potential candidates to move in the near future. An announcement for the future of hockey in Seattle is expected by July.

^Evens out the East and West to be 16:16.

I think next you will see a franchise like Arizona relocate to Houston.

C2E Continued Contributor

I applaud Calgary for standing up to the nonsense. There are economic sensibilities for government to subsidize arenas, but the contracts have to be structured properly.

Even ours, look at how the arena deal hand-tied Northlands from being able to compete against the Katz group? Now we're stuck with a multimillion dollar demolition bill and Northlands innevitably defaulting on it's payments due to loss of revenue stream. Meanwhile Katz is buying up a house in California worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Flames/Katz group can get bent. As much of a capitalist spirit as I am I loath seeing the disparity of wealth. And these arenas are a symbol of that.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    I applaud Calgary for standing up to the nonsense. There are economic sensibilities for government to subsidize arenas, but the contracts have to be structured properly.

Even ours, look at how the arena deal hand-tied Northlands from being able to compete against the Katz group? Now we're stuck with a multimillion dollar demolition bill and Northlands innevitably defaulting on it's payments due to loss of revenue stream. Meanwhile Katz is buying up a house in California worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Flames/Katz group can get bent. As much of a capitalist spirit as I am I loath seeing the disparity of wealth. And these arenas are a symbol of that.
    Gonna still applaud them when they pack up and leave **** kicker town? "Loathe disparity of wealth?" How does this affect your every day life? Me - I am way too busy working hard and amassing my kingdom for my trophy wife and kid to give a **** about disparity of wealth. Every time I see a comment like this I think to myself - "this guy needs to get a life."

^I think the odds of them being as profitable somewhere else, as they are in Cowtown, even with a newer arena, are about, 0%. NHL is all bluster on this one, and now that the lost the mayoralty, its just going to go all quiet for a while.

^^ Kinda like every time I see you utter the phrase "trophy wife" I add "participation" to the front of it?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

“Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

Gonna still applaud them when they pack up and leave **** kicker town? "Loathe disparity of wealth?" How does this affect your every day life? Me - I am way too busy working hard and amassing my kingdom for my trophy wife and kid to give a **** about disparity of wealth. Every time I see a comment like this I think to myself - "this guy needs to get a life."
    lol. You're pretty small-minded if you think how a government allocates your tax dollars doesn't affect you, but I wouldn't expect much more from someone with a knuckle-dragging mentality to come on social media telling strangers to get lives because they "think" about local affairs, and then go on to brag about how busy and hard working they themselves are trying to support their trophy wives.

Keep working at it though bud, you'll be remarkable one day. :P
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 08-12-2017 at 10:39 PM.

I highly doubt the Flames would ever leave Calgary based off the arena discussion. Bettman and the Board of Directors have historically fought to keep teams much less deserving in markets where there's no gate-sales, no merch sales, and no growth in value. Albeit Calgary isn't the most valuable team in the NHL, it's grown 435 million dollars worth since the 2006 lockout. It's a steady stream of revenue both through the gate-drive and through ratings and that makes for an illogical relocation - even with an old arena.

It's more likely that the NHL will seek to expand to 32 teams soon and this is Seattle doing what it can to make the best out of their arena situation.

You had me until you started complaining about other people's wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

You had me until you started complaining about other people's wealth.
    I'm not so much upset with people being successful, I just think that when someone can afford to purchase a 120 million dollar property, they shouldn't come to a city asking for hand outs plus special concessions on a public facility.

It's something I think needs to change. I'm very happy to see downtown flourishing, but most cities that went on to subsidize new arenas and stadiums end up with a boondoggle, and that impacts everything from your kid's text books to potholes.

If Calgary decides to fund their arena then I really hope they do it 100 percent publicly funded and rent to the Flames.

C2E Posting Power

lol. You're pretty small-minded if you think how a government allocates your tax dollars doesn't affect you, but I wouldn't expect much more from someone with a knuckle-dragging mentality to come on social media telling strangers to get lives because they "think" about local affairs, and then go on to brag about how busy and hard working they themselves are trying to support their trophy wives.

Already am....but thanks for that confidence boost! What's the saying, "Death and taxes are the only 2 certainties in life?" You're one of those "I hate paying taxes kinda guy." My few is real simple - can't control where the taxes go, so I'll keep paying them. Why don't you get into politics and then have a say? Until then you have 2 choices - keep wracking your brain in your mom's basement about where your taxes go or get a good accountant like myself. And I'll keep dragging my knuckles and paying for expensive boob jobs every year....deal? lol

Already am....but thanks for that confidence boost! What's the saying, "Death and taxes are the only 2 certainties in life?" You're one of those "I hate paying taxes kinda guy." My few is real simple - can't control where the taxes go, so I'll keep paying them. Why don't you get into politics and then have a say? Until then you have 2 choices - keep wracking your brain in your mom's basement about where your taxes go or get a good accountant like myself. And I'll keep dragging my knuckles and paying for expensive boob jobs every year....deal? lol
    I own a downtown condo, a mgmt degree, and have traveled to 22 countries all over the world on photography assignments in the past four years. I spent the last two summers camping all over Vancouver Island doing wildlife photography and seeing a girl I met who crossed the country living in her van. We spent nights stargazing and swimming in bioluminescent waters near Grice Bay. Now, I am floating my savings to go finish my petroleum engineering now. My 20-somethings have been a total trip and I'm really fortunate.

I'm not one for pissing matches and looking like children over social media, but I think you have a lot to learn about life. You should probably stick to the topics at hand because you come off as super insecure when you start bragging about the little things like financed boob jobs and "kingdoms".
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 09-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Amen. My issue with current arenas and entertainment at these palaces is that it is not generic pricing or entertainment and yet these are built on public dime. Few people I know can dole out 300bucks/ticket plus the exorbitant food costs and just don't have that kind of disposable cash and/or wouldn't spend it on such things if they did have it. There was a time when concerts or hockey games were priced pretty much in line with the cost of a movie, which also used to be lower. But they've stepped up into the stratosphere. An easy way to save money is just not go to this high priced entertainment.

I too applaud the Calgary civic govt and Nenshi for having the balls to stand up to this. Funding public arenas should not be a civic tax payer involved priority.

The reality is this new wave of revenue leveraged arena's are really only required because the Pro sports teams need to be shaking down patrons for much more money. Due to the exponential increase in what players are paid. Its all just a con game to get more bucks out of you.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567