Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole Foods Coming to Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I think we go unaffected by the Calgary situation regardless its outcome.

Vancouver is plenty strong enough to keep the operation viable North of the border. Whole Foods is more about margin than mass.
    except it's not just about individual strong stores. in the grocery business it's more about distribution and supply chain management than individual stores. a strong store might help carry a weaker one in the same market as they will both share some of those costs - and others such as advertising and staff training - but a strong store in a different location won't carry a completely different market even if you were prepared to sacrifice it's strong performance for little or no gain elsewhere.
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-09-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe they finally realized there are two Superstores, two Walmarts, a Save On, and a T&T within about a mile of there and not very many yuppies living east or west.

Noticed they had a sign in one of the large pylon signs along Gateway blvd with the Whole Foods logo on it and "coming soon" written beneath.

Yeah that's been there for a long time. Doesn't look like it's going to happen soon, if at all. I believe they cancelled their planned Calgary opening due to economic factors (ie, people don't spend money on luxury foods during a recession)
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

^ah k, was the first time i noticed it, so was unsure if it's been there a while or if it was new. Thanks

There were some rumours that Whole Foods might eventually open up in the Ice District, but I'm not sure how much truth is/was behind that.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I noticed that the Whole Foods Opening Soon sign has been removed. Very disappointing. I hope that they still open in the future.

Dead project is dead. Went to the one in Victoria a few days ago, wasn't too bad inside. Would have been great to have one here, especially given the issues at P.O.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Confirmed - Whole Foods Market expansion cancelled in Alberta
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nton-1.3927829
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Big whoop.

Canada isn't really missing out on much.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

There's a reason it's called "Whole Paycheck" by folks who look beyond branding and greenwashed products to actual value.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Thing is, all your majors, WalMart, Superstore, Sobeys, Save-on, all carry organic product these days. From what I've seen, these specialty organic stores like Whole Foods routinely charge an arm and a leg for their goods. Major miscalculation by them opening up in a tight economy area. Although they probably made their projections pre-downturn.

That's a nice-looking conversion job that was done on the previous Canadian Tire store on Calgary Trail, though. Wonder who'll be moving into there.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    That's a nice-looking conversion job that was done on the previous Canadian Tire store on Calgary Trail, though. Wonder who'll be moving into there.
    There is rumour that an Asian grocer (Lucky 97) is planning to open at that location.

The T&T is sooo busy just to the south of there. Lucky Supermarket could do good right next to it. At least there is a larger parking lot.

Thing is, all your majors, WalMart, Superstore, Sobeys, Save-on, all carry organic product these days. From what I've seen, these specialty organic stores like Whole Foods routinely charge an arm and a leg for their goods. Major miscalculation by them opening up in a tight economy area. Although they probably made their projections pre-downturn.

Organic is not the same as Heart Healthy. Few heart healthy food "products" available in Edmonton that do not contain sodium, cholesterol or trans fats. Superstore "Blue Menu" line is a step in the right direction but does not have a wide enough selection and waffles in allowing any sodium. Whole Foods carry lots of "products" like that - but the organic stores in Edmonton don't and in fact have aisles of unhealthy food - labelled "organic" as made without pesticides etc. but chock full of sodium, cholesterol and trans fats. As someone who looks to buy heart healthy products I buy them on-line which is not convenient as I have to order from several places and hope I am around on delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    There is rumour that an Asian grocer (Lucky 97) is planning to open at that location.
    Where did you hear this rumour? I go to Lucky 97 all the time! I'd love to have one closer south

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    Where did you hear this rumour? I go to Lucky 97 all the time! I'd love to have one closer south
    It is H Mart.

H Mart (Korean: H 마트 or 한아름 마트; Chinese: 韓亞龍) is an American supermarket chain operated by the Hanahreum Group headquartered in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. The chain, with locations throughout the United States, Canada, and London, specializes in providing Asian foods. The chain also operates several Super H Mart stores.

H Mart will give some relief to the super busy T&T practically next door
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-09-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12