Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods Coming to Edmonton

Default Whole Foods Coming to Edmonton

Don't like the location, but otherwise good news:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s#.VNvL9v50y71
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Sounds expensive.

So it's not T&T opening in there? What other bay is available in Southpark? I guess maybe the Canadian tire might be closed by then? Doubtful if they're opening in fall 2016 and the new CT isn't done yet.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Must be the Can. Tire

Default ?

Job No 167924369-001
    To construct exterior and interior alterations to an existing General Retail Stores Use building (partial demolition, new demising walls, facade upgrades, new entryways, and modification to existing parking layout.).
    Plan 0021129 Blk 32 Lot 5
    Applicant: DIALOG
    Create Date: 2/9/2015 4:07:02 PM

I've never been. Is it worth the hype? Similar to Planet Organic?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

its far superior to planet organic, or at least the american version is… we all know how that worked out for target.

can someone tell me what space t&t is taking up?

C2E Continued Contributor

While I can't speak for myself, my wife loves the place, at least the ones in the States she's been too.

So what type of consumer would shop at Whole foods, the Costco, Safeway, Superstore or Planet Organic shopper?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by gilkjones View Post
    its far superior to planet organic, or at least the american version is… we all know how that worked out for target.

Between Home Sense and the Esso station just north of 34 ave on CT, sorry, best I can do. lol

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    So what type of consumer would shop at Whole foods, the Costco, Safeway, Superstore or Planet Organic shopper?
    I am a Costco shopper, probably won't find me there. Too expensive.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I'm guessing the Planet Organic and the type of person who shops at farmers' markets.

Eve

The Hippies... lol

Rich Hippies.

Eve

^ Costco is pretty expensive as I understand it you need a membership to just get in and shop. "Whole foods" is too far off my wife's beaten path. Superstore works best for us.

Rich hippies driving cars as well it would seem, lol.

I'll probably check it out once, but if they're interested in my repeat business, they'll need something at a station.

Costco is way cheap. Except their electronics. Its a wholesaler. Trust me, I'm dutch. I have to laugh at some of the prices I see when I grab something in another store. Safeway is about the worst, then Save On, Sobeys, then Superstore and Walmart. Another place I go to get good deals is the Lucky Supermarket on 127 st and 138 ave. I won't go to the one downtown. Too smelly and cruddy and too many guys bumming smokes.

It's about time we get a higher end supermarket. Not that we are going to shop there every day, but they do carry interesting things that may not be available everywhere.

And by the way, a typical city in the US the same size of Edmonton, with the kind of disposal income we have here, there should be at least three locations in our city.

But I still don't get the Calgary TRail location. They are much better off taking over the old Sobey's in Terwillegar.

Rich hippies, lol. At at 22 I became a punk rocker. The hippies then were about as hated as Disco.

Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post
    It's about time we get a higher end supermarket. Not that we are going to shop there every day, but they do carry interesting things that may not be available everywhere.

And by the way, a typical city in the US the same size of Edmonton, with the kind of disposal income we have here, there should be at least three locations in our city.

But I still don't get the Calgary TRail location. They are much better off taking over the old Sobey's in Terwillegar.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Soby's would be a better fit due to the arena district.

Hasn't anyone been to a Vancouver or Toronto location?

I wonder it the experience is on par with the US locations.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Costco is pretty expensive as I understand it you need a membership to just get in and shop. "Whole foods" is too far off my wife's beaten path. Superstore works best for us.
    Costco is cheap for most things, they sell things at pennies above cost and try to sell as many as possible. A yearly membership is $55, you can also get an executive membership for $110 which gives you 2% cash back. Our yearly cash back is usually more than the $110 price meaning the membership is free. Their gas is usually 4-5 cents per litre cheaper too and you can't beat all the free sample they always have

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gilkjones View Post

Between Home Sense and the Esso station just north of 34 ave on CT, sorry, best I can do. lol
    Former Future Shop.

^^ Costco opened a gas bar recently. I recall how a few years ago a colleague of mine's wife worked there. She and a bunch of other full timers were let go because Costco didn't want to pay health benefits, so they were replaced by all part timers. I don't know if that's true or not but at $55 for a yearly membership might get us another shopping option besides Superstore, thanks fr the heads up..

Whole Foods. I guess Edmonton has finally woken up and the planet organic reign has ended. Who will pay their mortgage in Victoria now?

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    While I can't speak for myself, my wife loves the place, at least the ones in the States she's been too.
    I've been to two locations. My fav was in NYC. They had a great system of cashiers and getting people through at incredible speeds. Lots of nice prepared products. They see potential in our market according to the article makes it sound like we could see a second location announced at some point too. Perhaps arena district? The Canadian Tire location, although not ideal, is much better than where T&T is rumoured to open in the old Future Shop location just south of where Whole Foods will open.

Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. Soby's would be a better fit due to the arena district.
    I expect they may actually open in the arena district. Wait and see. I almost expect it.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Wasnt whole looking molson?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

love whole foods, but the canadian stores kinda suck compared to the US ones.

the best thing is the fresh food and instore cafe where you can eat. I don't find them that expensive, as far as what they carry, if you know your brands they are priced well. Not much price difference to the organic aisle/section at rcss, same brands/items.

I'd try them out if they have a deli section (I'm not that price sensitive). But I can't make it out to Calgary Trail. They're the type of shop that will add locations if they prosper at their first location and/or get a good look at the local civic layout.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by stunkermann View Post
    Whole Foods. I guess Edmonton has finally woken up and the planet organic reign has ended. Who will pay their mortgage in Victoria now?
    Wouldn't that be Whole Foods that has finally woken up?

C2E SME

Hmmm, well this should be interesting. If Whole Foods opens there and if T & T still opens in the old future shop location that could be very interesting. The Canadian Tire location is great and it should do fine. As for T & T if they still plan on the Future Shop location they will most likely have parking problems right from the get go. They would be wise to consider the former Sobey's location that closed near Grey Nuns Hospital.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Wasnt whole looking molson?
    According to the chatter I've heard here and there, Loblaws City Market is going to Molson.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Costco is cheap for most things, they sell things at pennies above cost and try to sell as many as possible. A yearly membership is $55, you can also get an executive membership for $110 which gives you 2% cash back. Our yearly cash back is usually more than the $110 price meaning the membership is free. Their gas is usually 4-5 cents per litre cheaper too and you can't beat all the free sample they always have
    I did a detailed look at the prices at Costco and Superstore on identical items. There was about 30 items in the basket that we normally purchase. Same brands. On the whole, it was pretty much a wash. If you were really good and just bought the cheapest items on the list at the cheapest store, you could save 10% easy, which is pretty significant on a food bill. Selection is obviously way better at Superstore, and I would say the parking lots are better too. Someone told me that the Costco on 91st is the 3rd busiest in North America?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Good to know, I loathe Superstore (just never had a good experience there) so it's nice to see I am spending the same at Costco although a 4 L milk trip often costs me $200+ at Costco lol.

People who shop at Costco and brag about it remind me of my youngest sister, whether they like it or not. Be warned. Even I can't help it.

^ Costco is good for shoppers that buy in bulk. Most people shop pay cheque to pay cheque.

Yes, my sister who is financially comfortable (not rich) and I were discussing food frugality. And she was quite open about the fact that the reason she can save so much money on food and other staples is because she has the time (she's got a single good job), the car, the storage in her house and the money to grab the really worthwhile savings. Poor people don't always have any of that.

And mentions of Costco also remind me of my sister but they're fond memories.

Eve

^ Good to know, I loathe Superstore (just never had a good experience there) so it's nice to see I am spending the same at Costco although a 4 L milk trip often costs me $200+ at Costco lol.
    For the items you intended to buy, yes, you are likely paying a similar amount. But then Costco is famous for getting people to buy things they had no intention of buying. Like trampolines or books or humidifiers.

The superstores across the city are definitely different. None of them have the same layout, some are busier than others. Some have specific ethnic and socioeconomic client bases.

Plus you can't beat Superstore's hours. When I was single in the 1980's I used to shop at the IGA just down from the Saxony (Howard Johnston's) but apparently that IGA is closed. They had decent prices and I'd always shop there, instead of Safeway at Jasper Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Rich Hippies.

Eve
    Suburban SUV drivin' hippies. Like the ones back in the 80's.

And people who don't vaccinate their kids because it's not "natural".

While we're on the topic of hippies, not many teenagers in the 60's were hippies living with mom and dad. Most hippies were in their early to mid 20's. So if a hippie in 1967 was say 22 he/she would be in their 70's today. After Forty eight years of living I'd say most of that 1960's idealism would have evaporated a long time ago. Most hippies I know turned into punk rockers, being disenfranchised by Disco. Punk rock was a breath of fresh air. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I did a detailed look at the prices at Costco and Superstore on identical items. There was about 30 items in the basket that we normally purchase. Same brands. On the whole, it was pretty much a wash. If you were really good and just bought the cheapest items on the list at the cheapest store, you could save 10% easy, which is pretty significant on a food bill. Selection is obviously way better at Superstore, and I would say the parking lots are better too. Someone told me that the Costco on 91st is the 3rd busiest in North America?
    superstore is fine as long as you disenfect after your visit and dont bend over in the cucumber ilse.

While we're on the topic of hippies, not many teenagers in the 60's were hippies living with mom and dad. Most hippies were in their early to mid 20's. So if a hippie in 1967 was say 22 he/she would be in their 70's today. After Forty eight years of living I'd say most of that 1960's idealism would have evaporated a long time ago. Most hippies I know turned into punk rockers, being disenfranchised by Disco. Punk rock was a breath of fresh air. At least for me.
    Love it. And cocaine didn't start making a half scene in Edmonton until 1978. Is this true?

^ I can't speak to that, I never was in the drug scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Love it. And cocaine didn't start making a half scene in Edmonton until 1978. Is this true?
    The seventies was mostly just pot, some LSD tho

I find Costco is more expensive on some things, and cheaper on others. I really only buy meat, cheese, or things they carry that others don't. Most of my groceries come from Superstore because their selection is about 500x better.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I find Costco is more expensive on some things, and cheaper on others. I really only buy meat, cheese, or things they carry that others don't. Most of my groceries come from Superstore because their selection is about 500x better.
    Of the major chains, I mostly shop at Superstore too. Costco is tricky. They can have good prices, but my rule of thumb is to know what you're buying and stick to the list. They have a lot of products that are not great bargains, especially ones aimed as impulse buys. Considering the large quantities, they can make Costco Costly. (Baddamching!)

One thing I like about Costco is the quality of their products.

If you like to buy in bulk, that's Costco. Costco also caters to restaurants as well. We did a focus group last year about shopping, and the results were according to memory that most shoppers bought their groceries pay cheque to pay cheque. If you have a comfortable income then Costco would make sense. Other wise its Superstore and Soby's. Save On, Safeway, Walmart, No Frills are for shoppers that have incomes slightly below Costco. Planet Organic wasn't on the survey to the best of my knowledge. As for Whole foods, we wont be shopping there.

For us:

For our staples. Superstore. Might shop at No Frills or Sobeys if they were more convenient to us. Very occasionally Costco.

Day to day: Italian Centre, Lucky 97, late summer Farmers market

In a pinch: Save On, Safeway

Very rarely in a pinch: Walmart

I bought a soda once at Planet Organic. Won't be shopping at Wholefoods.

I will check out Whole Foods when they get here. Nice to see more variety and competition. It will mean a lot of jobs as well.

^Well, that's the main thing, the jobs.

you can get a 3 pack of tazo chai tea for 8.99 at costco, sometimes 6.99 when its on sale.

a single package is the only option at every other grocery store and that single pkg is 6.99 - 7.99. starbucks sells em for 7.99

as for whole foods - yes they have a deli and more

weitz.com

cheese section - typical

therosysnail.com

they always have a hot food bar and salad bar, you pay by the weight - it adds up fast if youre a big scooper

thehungrysprout.com

they also have a great whole body aka beauty section with lotions, washes, soap, makeup, balms, etc,

mommylikewhoa.com

if you've never been inside a store this video is a good look at what to expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wnRDU4vWF4

You lost me when you mentioned being required to pay to shop at a place in order to "save" money.

Superstore is cheap and the quality of the "fresh" departments show it. The only place I have seen worse quality produce is Community Natural Foods in Calgary. Whenever I have gone to their bakery, whatever is left has been so picked over it is not worth it to buy. In my opinion, having to throw out half of what you buy from "fresh" departments negates any savings. Sobeys is even worse with poor quality and the added "benefit" of high price. I hope Whole Foods has some good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    For us:

For our staples. Superstore. Might shop at No Frills or Sobeys if they were more convenient to us. Very occasionally Costco.

Day to day: Italian Centre, Lucky 97, late summer Farmers market

In a pinch: Save On, Safeway

Very rarely in a pinch: Walmart

I bought a soda once at Planet Organic. Won't be shopping at Wholefoods.

C2E SME

I look forward to seeing what Whole Foods will be like here in town. Superstore is ok for prices for pre packed items. I never really look too much at fresh items. Hopefully Whole foods will have a good produce and meats departments.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmenzel View Post
    You lost me when you mentioned being required to pay to shop at a place in order to "save" money.

If $55 is going to set you back to shop at Costco, don't bother going. You'll never survive there!

I love Costco and Superstore the best. For deals, when I was married, we'd go to Wal-Mart and Superstore because my ex-wife was a bargain hunter and she always looked at flyers to see where the best deals are.

Too each their own.

I'll check out Whole Foods to see what it's all about. Worth a look for sure.

Job No 167924369-009
    Description: To construct exterior alterations to an existing General Retail Stores Use building (Southpark Centre - Whole Foods Market).
    Applicant: DIALOG
    Create Date: 12/22/2015 7:57:34 AM

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmenzel View Post

If $55 is going to set you back to shop at Costco, don't bother going. You'll never survive there!

I love Costco and Superstore the best. For deals, when I was married, we'd go to Wal-Mart and Superstore because my ex-wife was a bargain hunter and she always looked at flyers to see where the best deals are.

Too each their own.

I'll check out Whole Foods to see what it's all about. Worth a look for sure.
    I used to shop at Costco but I started looking closely at what the grocery bills were. Some things are cheap, but the vegetables meat and fruit are stupidly overpriced. I mostly shop at Superstore and Walmart now, it's rare for me to check out more than 100 dollars, whereas it was rare for it not to be 200 at Costco for the same stuff. I'm guessing I'm not whole foods target market though.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ same here
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

I only really go to Costco for the meat and cheese. Gotta be very careful about what you buy there, some things are not a bargain, like cereal and stuff. Some stuff comes in bulk packs or sizes I'll just be able to use either.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Costco is a block away from me and in all the 15 years of living here, I've never set foot in the doors. Our household doesn't buy in bulk. With Superstore across the street and Walmart up the block Costco Whole foods is not an option. I think we're like most people we shop week by week.

Part of the problem is most people have no knowledge on the value of products. Knowing the value for certain things, sold at different stores, makes it much easier to shop smart. Costco is great for some things, not so good for others. The reason people spend more is cause when they grab A few things they crave, and in bulk sizes, easily adds $50 to a shopping trip. People need to be smart about their shopping habits. Most people are not smart.

You might have missed it but there is such a thing as price matching, its been all the rage lately

You might have missed it but there is such a thing as price matching, its been all the rage lately
    Most grocers do not price match, and when they do, it doesn't apply to sale/special pricing

^ A lot don't but the ones that do get our business over the ones that don't. We're not going to go out of our way to save 50 cents on 1 or two items but with the price of food these days, I think you under estimate the average shopper. Most people are savvy enough to know how to stretch their budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I only really go to Costco for the meat and cheese. Gotta be very careful about what you buy there, some things are not a bargain, like cereal and stuff. Some stuff comes in bulk packs or sizes I'll just be able to use either.
    I also go mostly for the meat. I'll also get toe and hand warmers in bulk. Usually when I go in I will not use a cart.

167924369-003
    04-Feb-2016
    3803 - CALGARY TRAIL NW

To construct interior alterations to an existing General Retail Stores Use building (tenant improvement, interior partitions, walls, floors, ceilings) (Southpark Centre - Whole Foods Market)

CUSHING TERRELL ARCHITECTS ENGINEERS

It would have been nice to see them move into the old Sobey's location on Jasper & 104th.

It would have been nice to see them move into the old Sobey's location on Jasper & 104th.
    It's like 10 times too small. It wasn't even a consideration.

Jasper and 104th is a great location for something. It still boggles my mind why Sobey's moved out of there in the first place. Still waiting to see what if anything is going to go in on the Jasper/107th street location behind BP's.

Jasper and 104th is a great location for something. It still boggles my mind why Sobey's moved out of there in the first place. Still waiting to see what if anything is going to go in on the Jasper/107th street location behind BP's.
    What are you talking about? The only proposal for that entire block is Jasper Place or whatever it's called. It has a couple retail bays, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    When I google the address it shows Beijing restaurant, googling Beijing restaurant it shows the same address. Are they moving into this small bldg.? 3803 Cgy. Tr.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    When I google the address it shows Beijing restaurant, googling Beijing restaurant it shows the same address. Are they moving into this small bldg.? 3803 Cgy. Tr.
    No, the old Canadian Tire. It is a very large space.

Oh ya, they've been doing a lot of work on it, I was wondering what was going in there. Now I know.

Does anyone know when this will open?

I've been to the one in Toronto. Right in the heart of Yorkville. It would have been a perfect location for the former Sobey's site in downtown. But I guess people with money do not live downtown

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I've never been. Is it worth the hype? Similar to Planet Organic?

What I like about Whole Foods is their deli area with high quality prepped foods. People joke about the cost, but going to their deli is no more expensive than going to a typical "healthier" fast food place. Also in the states they have a fantastic beer selection, which we won't get to enjoy due to our puritanical alcohol legislation.

I would describe it as an upscale grocery store with high quality (but pricey) food. It doesn't have the "hippy" feel of smaller organic grocery stores. I agree with Jaerdo that the US versions have a great alcohol selection. The ones in Seattle sold $3 organic wine. Too bad we won't get that here!

^ And probably won't have the wine bar either given the location.

I think all they'd need for alcohol sales is a separate CRU with a separate door, if they're so inclined.

edit - and to succeed in getting a license from the City and Province. The Province should be an automatic, but from the City, is there another liquor vendor within 500 metres?
    Last edited by JayBee; 30-03-2016 at 03:44 PM.

What's going on with the Whole Foods? It has looked almost finished for months but they haven't put up the sign. When is it supposed to open?

There was a rumor that they have delayed until 2017 (maybe economy or supply chains?) although nothing official from them yet.

Their website has no mention of Edmonton at all and various job boards don't list any results for Edmonton.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Their website has no mention of Edmonton at all and various job boards don't list any results for Edmonton.
    Sure it does:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/comp...es-development

Oh, missed that one. None of their Selection Location/Store selectors nor Find A Store nor Search pages list any Alberta stores.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Whole Foods back out of Calgary opening due to "landlord dispute", so not sure how this bodes for the upcoming Edmonton location
    http://www.660news.com/2016/09/02/wh...lgary-on-hold/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Probably not well given that they will now have less distribution efficiency. It's not impossible for a standalone store to function well, but the supply chain management works better if they can use economies of scale.

This sucks. First Chipotle backs out of South Edmonton Common now potentially this. I really hope that they are still planning on opening the Edmonton Whole Foods location even if Calgary isn't going to pan out.

It doesn't sound like Calgary won't ever receive a store, just the planned location didn't pan out. I am sure it will happen. Plus there is the possibility of a second store downtown in the Ice District too.

C2E SME

Well the location looks ready. I hope they do move in and potentially open in Ice district when the new building is ready.

The Ice District might be a very good fit. That would give them the two stores (it makes sense to have a suburban store also) in the same city. The Ice District might attract the sorts of people that are willing to pay premium for what Whole Foods offers.

I think we go unaffected by the Calgary situation regardless its outcome.

Vancouver is plenty strong enough to keep the operation viable North of the border. Whole Foods is more about margin than mass.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Whole Foods’ future in Edmonton is uncertain
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2931210/wh...-is-uncertain/

This sucks, I really hope it still opens. I was afraid something was up when construction stopped. I have been looking forward to them opening ever since they announced that they were coming to Edmonton.

Wow, that doesn't look good for that location.

I agree, this recession and no end in sight of sub $50/b oil this may be a sign of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    This sucks, I really hope it still opens. I was afraid something was up when construction stopped. I have been looking forward to them opening ever since they announced that they were coming to Edmonton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast