Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,270 of 1270

Thread: Emerald Tower | 154m, 45 floors | Proposed

  1. #1201
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    I see its up of the Diagram Pages at Skyscraper

    http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=110821

  2. #1202
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Icon towers still missing, also not on the wiki list

  3. #1203
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Icon towers still missing, also not on the wiki list
    Anything else? Most of the smaller high-rises 10-20 in Oliver never made the list (unlike in Calgary) like Peppertree, Lamplighter, and downtown I don't see the Avord Arms or what ever its new name is.

  4. #1204
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    St. Albert, AB
    Posts
    649

    Default

    ^ Avord Arms is on there, at the 76 meter mark. It's called City Square now.

  5. #1205
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    ^ Avord Arms is on there, at the 76 meter mark. It's called City Square now.
    . Thx.

    Edgewater 1&2 and the other large towers on Jasper Avenue East are not either.

  6. #1206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post


    Current render is only slightly less hot garbage.
    i kinda like this !

  7. #1207
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    Me as well. Is this the official render then?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  8. #1208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post


    Current render is only slightly less hot garbage.
    i kinda like this !
    I kinda like it too with some minor change. How they broke up the flow
    on the thirdo portion should be done at one other point on the tower at the middle of the bottom 2/3; and the podium to be same colour pattern throughout as it is currently not cohesive.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  9. #1209

    Default

    yup being broken up a little in the middle makes it look as little less boring.

  10. #1210
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,592

    Default

    The design reminds me of this project built in the early 2000's in Toronto.

    https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66105...7i13312!8i6656

  11. #1211

    Default

    It reminds me of Ultima, but taller and with an uglier podium.

  12. #1212
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    I can tell it's a tower because of the way it is!
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

  13. #1213
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Looks dam sharp to me. Canít wait for it to start rising up

  14. #1214
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Seems like things are at a standstill again.

  15. #1215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Looks dam sharp to me. Canít wait for it to start rising up
    Is that with or without glasses?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  16. #1216

    Default

    There seems to be some new equipment on site now, as well as some large steel beams.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

  17. #1217
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    My commute takes me by the site daily but I've been off work for the last 15 days now to notice anything in that area of town. I wonder how Trump's tarriffs on Aluminium & Steel are going to affect this project?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  18. #1218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    There seems to be some new equipment on site now, as well as some large steel beams.

    Looks like some column testing.

  19. #1219

    Default

    Column testing or erecting?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  20. #1220
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    My commute takes me by the site daily but I've been off work for the last 15 days now to notice anything in that area of town. I wonder how Trump's tarriffs on Aluminium & Steel are going to affect this project?
    Glazing curtain wall will likely come from China to Canada. Zero business of the USA.

  21. #1221
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,724

    Default

    There's a lot more steel and aluminum in a project like this than curtain wall. Rebar, studs, pipe/conduit, mechanical equipment to name a few. A lot of those items are not manufactured in Canada, and come from the US, and therefore could potentially be hit by tariffs. In some cases, multiple times.

  22. #1222
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    There's a lot more steel and aluminum in a project like this than curtain wall. Rebar, studs, pipe/conduit, mechanical equipment to name a few. A lot of those items are not manufactured in Canada, and come from the US, and therefore could potentially be hit by tariffs. In some cases, multiple times.
    And why we need to have a FTA with China. We DO need access to Chinese materials and pricing. Canada needs to move itself away form a hostile USA.

  23. #1223
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Looks dam sharp to me. Canít wait for it to start rising up
    Is that with or without glasses?
    My rose coloured pair

  24. #1224
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Column testing or erecting?
    You mean excavating?

  25. #1225
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    There's a lot more steel and aluminum in a project like this than curtain wall. Rebar, studs, pipe/conduit, mechanical equipment to name a few. A lot of those items are not manufactured in Canada, and come from the US, and therefore could potentially be hit by tariffs. In some cases, multiple times.
    However a lot of the items you listed above, if imported from the US we're part of the tender process. Even before Trump imposed these tariff's on aluminium and steel, hence the steel already in the ground now.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  26. #1226
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,724

    Default

    The project has not been tendered.

  27. #1227
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    The site has all the furnishings of being tendered. There's steel in the ground etc. Or does the site even need to be tendered? Can't Regency use the same resources/process it did when building Edgewater etc?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  28. #1228
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The site has all the furnishings of being tendered. There's steel in the ground etc. Or does the site even need to be tendered? Can't Regency use the same resources/process it did when building Edgewater etc?
    Those aren't materials for the construction of the tower.
    Could they? Sure, they could have preferred contractors and not go to the market. Is that likely? No. Would Marcel likely know if that was happening, yes.

  29. #1229
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The site has all the furnishings of being tendered. There's steel in the ground etc. Or does the site even need to be tendered? Can't Regency use the same resources/process it did when building Edgewater etc?
    Those aren't materials for the construction of the tower.
    Could they? Sure, they could have preferred contractors and not go to the market. Is that likely? No. Would Marcel likely know if that was happening, yes.
    That's what led me to believe that the site has already been tendered out, because steel is in the ground. For the most part Marcell has been cordial with me. I trust his comments.

    Cheers
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  30. #1230
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    That was steel for remediation purposes, not construction.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  31. #1231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The site has all the furnishings of being tendered. There's steel in the ground etc. Or does the site even need to be tendered? Can't Regency use the same resources/process it did when building Edgewater etc?
    Those aren't materials for the construction of the tower.
    Could they? Sure, they could have preferred contractors and not go to the market. Is that likely? No. Would Marcel likely know if that was happening, yes.
    That's what led me to believe that the site has already been tendered out, because steel is in the ground. For the most part Marcell has been cordial with me. I trust his comments.

    Cheers
    Trust or not, he'll most likely be involved to some capacity, so he has direct knolwledge is what Dan was saying.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  32. #1232
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The site has all the furnishings of being tendered. There's steel in the ground etc. Or does the site even need to be tendered? Can't Regency use the same resources/process it did when building Edgewater etc?
    Those aren't materials for the construction of the tower.
    Could they? Sure, they could have preferred contractors and not go to the market. Is that likely? No. Would Marcel likely know if that was happening, yes.
    That's what led me to believe that the site has already been tendered out, because steel is in the ground. For the most part Marcell has been cordial with me. I trust his comments.

    Cheers
    Trust or not, he'll most likely be involved to some capacity, so he has direct knolwledge is what Dan was saying.
    Right now may be providing pre-con pricing and hopefully selected (through a bid process or single sourced) as a mechanical subcontractor unless Regency is acting as its own GC and directly contracting trades.

  33. #1233
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That was steel for remediation purposes, not construction.
    So is that steel then likely to be removed? Seems counter productive to me, but I'm not in the trades (obviously) I just go by the site everyday. Nice to be updated.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  34. #1234
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That was steel for remediation purposes, not construction.
    So is that steel then likely to be removed? Seems counter productive to me, but I'm not in the trades (obviously) I just go by the site everyday. Nice to be updated.
    Oh ... your wondering how they would use steel to remediate the soil? Me too.

  35. #1235
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    Shoring to hold back excavation to remove contaminated soils.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  36. #1236
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Shoring to hold back excavation to remove contaminated soils.
    Thx. I did not know the soil was contaminated. There used to be a dealership there at one time? I don't recall a gas station on that corner. I thought it was a Lada and/or AMC dealership or such - so long ago now ... I have to close my eyes to remember the streetscape all those years and before. Where's my vape lol.

  37. #1237
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Downtown YEG
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Shoring to hold back excavation to remove contaminated soils.
    Thx. I did not know the soil was contaminated. There used to be a dealership there at one time? I don't recall a gas station on that corner. I thought it was a Lada and/or AMC dealership or such - so long ago now ... I have to close my eyes to remember the streetscape all those years and before. Where's my vape lol.
    I still believe that corner was Devonian Motors, Rambler then AMC dealership, later also handling Volvos AFAIR...

  38. #1238

    Default

    A bit before my time...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  39. #1239
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Yes, young fellow.

  40. #1240

    Default

    That is all God's doing. Im innocent in all of this lol.

    This area is starting to really have great presence especially when this tower is done. Hopefully CNIB tower and the dealership are built up soon. That would give a different appearance of that area altogether.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  41. #1241
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    That is all God's doing. Im innocent in all of this lol.

    This area is starting to really have great presence especially when this tower is done. Hopefully CNIB tower and the dealership are built up soon. That would give a different appearance of that area altogether.
    We might all be in Valhalla by then.

  42. #1242

    Default

    30 years ago, you would be right. Times have changed though.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  43. #1243

    Default

    Looks like those new steel beams onsite are being used for a pile load test, not additional shoring as some posters speculated.

  44. #1244
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    I'd love to know what the geotech report is saying for lands in that area.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  45. #1245
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    ^^ I noticed them as well. They are not as long as the propert facing East West.

    ^ That'd be most interesting. I'm wondering if there were any coal mines this side of the river valley from years ago, lying under this property.
    Last edited by envaneo; 06-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  46. #1246
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    Emerald Tower site.


    @ianoyeg
    mine
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  47. #1247

    Default

    I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.


  48. #1248

    Default

    Way better color deliver to the podium; the tower portion still need another break at the middle of the bottom 2/3.; and the very top( mechanical) needs a bit of the podium color, but I can accept it if they don't apply it. This is great to see this area really taking off.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  49. #1249
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Street level interaction is lacking. Its rather mundane with a low ceiling height suitable for a 7-11 but not discerning retail.

  50. #1250

    Default

    I had to look again lol. Here I thought that podium was another building altogether. Remove that portion and add all windows, muilions as the tower portion, and, where culums are, add rainbow right down to the ground. The podium is around 14' high estrapulating from Human scale to the height of the podium. The podium could be higher with addition of 6' in height (min) for more balance scale
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  51. #1251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

    ^that's gonna look SO good in that spot !!

  52. #1252
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Super

  53. #1253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

    link?

  54. #1254

    Default

    See that little white tower on the left of the rendering. I remember watching that get built and thinking that was so exciting. Yay! A brand new 15 storey tower! So exciting! Expectations sure have changed over the years. I mean, even then it wasn't a great tower but it was a new tower and that was all that mattered.

  55. #1255

  56. #1256

    Default

    lol... Looks like the marketing guys had their way with reality again. That little white tower is fully obscured from this perspective.


    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54081...=en&authuser=0

  57. #1257

    Default

    1992/1993 was the construction date for that. I believe Stuart Olsen was involved with that.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  58. #1258

    Default

    For those of you couch critics out there, this is LOTS of Window Wall. That is extremely expensive in today's market. Very impressive they are using window wall. I would bet alot of money that the mid-tower breakup ends up not working due to costs, but this is impressive. Too many critics out there. Developing real estate is hard.

  59. #1259

    Default

    I honestly think it looks great.

  60. #1260
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    I like how the tower tapers up. Lots of glass, seems futuristic. I hope the CNIB project gets the same kind of treatment.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  61. #1261

    Default

    It does look great and it's going to make a big statement. It's another step up from the Pearl.

  62. #1262

    Default

    This more realistic rendering has me liking it quite a lot, very Vancouver only better as long as they don't end up using that ugly sea green glazing like they so often do out there ... well, it's called 'Emerald' after all!

  63. #1263

    Default

    I wonder how long remediation takes and when we can expect actual ground breaking to begin. Winter? Spring?

  64. #1264
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,330

    Default

    The break for the amenity floor is strange. It would be nicer if the balconies were set into the building rather than so exposed. Itís much much improved but still not a 10.

  65. #1265

    Default

    Yup! Or center the portion which could still be done.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  66. #1266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRtower View Post
    This more realistic rendering has me liking it quite a lot, very Vancouver only better as long as they don't end up using that ugly sea green glazing like they so often do out there ... well, it's called 'Emerald' after all!
    Ya, I agree with you. I really hope they don't feel the need to justify that name.

  67. #1267

    Default

    That is why it is important to not get too crazy for all glass alll the time. What I do expect is great "CLEVER" usage regardless what is finishings they decide. It can be stucco, but they can't be kindergarten applications.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  68. #1268
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I like how the tower tapers up. Lots of glass, seems futuristic. I hope the CNIB project gets the same kind of treatment.
    😳

  69. #1269
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian108 View Post
    I wonder how long remediation takes and when we can expect actual ground breaking to begin. Winter? Spring?
    Depends on the extent of contamination and how they plan to remediate the site.

  70. #1270
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Stall stall stall and time keeps dragging on. And they are talking about BMO. If itís next theyíre looking at five years.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •