Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,200 of 1273

Thread: Emerald Tower | 154m, 45 floors | Proposed

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I get you don't like Regency, but dont give me that crap of a 5 rating. List for me current active condos better than this aside from Ultima. One River Park is all stucco on the south Elevation as a high end. Honorable mention goes to Arcadia and the Carlisle which were built since the early 80s? Go ahead my friend and show us the beauty of Edmonton as i have witnessed non activity since 1982 until 2004. List gorgeous towers in this city please. The platform is yours to put me and other forumers in our place.
    just because we don't have many nice buildings in this city doesn't mean we have to celebrate middling crap like the Pearl. In fact, pretending junk like the Pearl is nice is *exactly why* we don't have many nice buildings in this city.

But that said Ultima, Hendrix, Carlisle, Maclaren, the Ice District towers, serenity, uptown, Illuminada, that dub one on Saskatchewan drive with the round balconies, encore, west block, augustana, j21, the southpark development all better, some by a bit, most by a country mile, and that list I thought of in approx 45 seconds while walking to my kitchen.

I stated , "active" not in constructive stages. You just proved that we are in progress in the direction you desire so what are ranting for? You must be young not to know that we were inactive for over two decades without hardly any condo developments. Since 1988- when i became an Edmontonian- to 2004, do you know how many tower were built? 3 and they are the twin Riverwinds ( white towers/round balconies) and the Klassen the pink 9 story tower by stadium... We have come full circle now in tastes, appearances, qualities, and sophistications, and it was Pearl that raised that bar to which we now have a plethora of incredible towers to come as they are in constructing stages. Know what you are talking about; and talk what you know as it gets tiring when you regurgitate the exact phrase over and over on all Regency threads. Look forwardvto what is about to come. It is already visible. You win some; you lose some; and you tie some. That is life! I would love everything in my life to be ultra opulent, but guess what? Im not Royalty or a billionaire, and i have accepted reality. Join me! Pffff!!!
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by bleppers View Post
    just because we don't have many nice buildings in this city doesn't mean we have to celebrate middling crap like the Pearl. In fact, pretending junk like the Pearl is nice is *exactly why* we don't have many nice buildings in this city.

But that said Ultima, Hendrix, Carlisle, Maclaren, the Ice District towers, serenity, uptown, Illuminada, that dub one on Saskatchewan drive with the round balconies, encore, west block, augustana, j21, the southpark development all better, some by a bit, most by a country mile, and that list I thought of in approx 45 seconds while walking to my kitchen.
    I don't think that I have terrible taste when it comes to architecture and design, but who knows, maybe I do. To my eye, the Pearl would be a fine addition to any city's skyline - not just "good enough for Edmonton."

I would prefer to see more risks taken in design, but it doesn't mean that "safe" towers are bad or even middling. The Pearl looks great.

I stated , "active" not in constructive stages. You just proved that we are in progress in the direction you desire so what are ranting for? You must be young not to know that we were inactive for over two decades without hardly any condo developments. Since 1988- when i became an Edmontonian- to 2004, do you know how many tower were built? 3 and they are the twin Riverwinds ( white towers/round balconies) and the Klassen the pink 9 story tower by stadium... We have come full circle now in tastes, appearances, qualities, and sophistications, and it was Pearl that raised that bar to which we now have a plethora of incredible towers to come as they are in constructing stages. Know what you are talking about; and talk what you know as it gets tiring when you regurgitate the exact phrase over and over on all Regency threads. Look forwardvto what is about to come. It is already visible. You win some; you lose some; and you tie some. That is life! I would love everything in my life to be ultra opulent, but guess what? Im not Royalty or a billionaire, and i have accepted reality. Join me! Pffff!!!
    "Nothing was built in Edmonton for 20 years when I first moved here = the Pearl is a nice building" is not an argument.

As long as we continue to convince ourselves buildings like the Pearl are good we'll keep getting the Jim Derr / Kennedy / Ed Gooch crap we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    I don't think that I have terrible taste when it comes to architecture and design, but who knows, maybe I do. To my eye, the Pearl would be a fine addition to any city's skyline - not just "good enough for Edmonton."

I would prefer to see more risks taken in design, but it doesn't mean that "safe" towers are bad or even middling. The Pearl looks great.
    I'm probably being a bit hard on it because as you correctly identified I honestly do have a strong dislike for and distrust of Regency (and it also bothers me that people on here generally seem to view them pretty credulously). I'd acknowledge that it probably wouldn't stick out as egregiously bad in most north american cities--but that's it. To pay it any higher compliment than that is, I think, to have an unnecessarily low standard.

To be clear I dont think to be good a building has to be "risky" or "bold." In fact I think what we need most in Edmonton right now is exactly the opposite: quietly confident buildings, executed well with thoughtfully chosen materials.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Hendrix no masterpiece but 100% better than the Pearl.

I am absolutely biased when it comes to Regency because everything they've ever built is trash with the exception of the Pearl which is a soft 5, and in the last year they've given to the city the glorious gifts of normalizing above grade parkades and demolishing one of the nicest buildings downtown because they're lazy and greedy.
    Respectfully disagree in full.

Hendrix is a relatively run of the mill tower, save the podium and top floor.

The Pearl is on an entirely different level.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

I am absolutely biased when it comes to Regency because everything they've ever built is trash with the exception of the Pearl which is a soft 5, and in the last year they've given to the city the glorious gifts of normalizing above grade parkades and demolishing one of the nicest buildings downtown because they're lazy and greedy.

Ya to be honest we're kind of splitting hairs w Hendrix vs Pearl. I prefer Hendrix because I *like* that it's relatively straightforward--I find pearl gaudy and overdetailed. And podium at Hendrix much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post

I'm probably being a bit hard on it because as you correctly identified I honestly do have a strong dislike for and distrust of Regency (and it also bothers me that people on here generally seem to view them pretty credulously). I'd acknowledge that it probably wouldn't stick out as egregiously bad in most north american cities--but that's it. To pay it any higher compliment than that is, I think, to have an unnecessarily low standard.

To be clear I dont think to be good a building has to be "risky" or "bold." In fact I think what we need most in Edmonton right now is exactly the opposite: quietly confident buildings, executed well with thoughtfully chosen materials.
    How much financing can you garner? Ill be willing to design a guaranty winner for you without commission.if you can't, neough said. While we can only encourage developers to do certain thing, it is their $$$$$$$$$, and they can spend it how ever they like.

If you believe Pearl is so bad, please go design BMO for them. Put your foot where your mouth is! Admonishing developers with goffy and honky; or i dont trust them is really something els. I have words for that, but ill stay civilize. You criticize with no clear solution to back you up akin to doing an essay with a thesis statement and nothing more.

How much financing can you garner? Ill be willing to design a guaranty winner for you without commission.if you can't, neough said. While we can only encourage developers to do certain thing, it is their $$$$$$$$$, and they can spend it how ever they like.

If you believe Pearl is so bad, please go design BMO for them. Put your foot where your mouth is! Admonishing developers with goffy and honky; or i dont trust them is really something els. I have words for that, but ill stay civilize. You criticize with no clear solution to back you up akin to doing an essay with a thesis statement and nothing more.
    Actually they can't do whatever they like, that's why we have a zoning bylaw and building code. It's our city and we have look at and live with these things. We have the means to ask for better buildings, we just have to use them instead of pretending that a lot of the junk that gets built here is great to make ourselves feel better.

I've said this like 12 times before but I'll repeat my very clear solution again for your benefit: DON'T HIRE BAD CONSULTANTS.
    Last edited by bleppers; 10-03-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Theyve met the standard you spoke off, and their money speaks; the only thing you do is blap blap blap. If you are so agitated, rework this on your time and present that to them. Talk is cheap... You complain, but you have not illustrate on here how things can improve. An essay comprise of more than just a thesis statement; your grade= 0%.

Theyve met the standard you spoke off, and their money speaks; the only thing you do is blap blap blap. If you are so agitated, rework this on your time and present that to them. Talk is cheap... You complain, but you have not illustrate on here how things can improve. An essay comprise of more than just a thesis statement; your grade= 0%.
    Having the resources and ability to design a building is not a prerequisite for having an opinion on a building.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ You don't like Edgewater towers? That's Regency, isn't it?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Edge water towers arw rental. The design and fishings are adequate. But the colour scheme is lacking in lustre imo. That could be their liki g, so like i said prior... " win some; lose some, and tie some as their money is spent on this.
    ^^
    Opinion is fine; ranting and trashing is not.

Emerald Tower

Sunday March 11, 2018 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Thought I would post this as a comparison. This is going up at Brentwood Mall in Vancouver.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...od_hi-res2.jpg
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Drilling core samples today.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Will be nice to see this being constructed. I wonder if CNIB is still thinking about a start. Would be nice to see a cluster of talls in the area.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The core drilling machine is an upright grey machine that was digging on the East side of the backhoe close to 116th street. It's happening

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I went by there ~ 3pm on my commute and yesterday and saw half a doz or so guys coming in through the side gate on 116th.

I hope we see excavation work on this site soon. We've been talking about this forever!

^since 25-11-2014

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We're still climbing out of a provincial recession. The jobless rate here in Edmonton is the seasonably adjusted unemployment rate is 6.9 Nationally its 5.8% which is pretty good.

I'm surprised with our jobless rate so high and so many projects underway, maybe the labour pool is stretched right now.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...wn-calgarys-up

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its been about a week now but just West of the Emerald location 116/Jasper there's a house on stilts.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    We're still climbing out of a provincial recession.
    "Climbing out of a recession" is actually technically a contradiction in terms, since "recession" means the economy is doing the opposite of climbing. Climbing out of a depression would be the more correct term, but either way that's called a "recovery".

Huh? Depression? We may have became depressed over a slight recession... Some of us predicted this fall would see movement of sort. Be realistic of how things go; it has been roughly 1.5 years since they purchased this lot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not just that but as long as imo our unemployment rate is over 6%, we're in a recession or slowly recovering from one. But a depression? Hardly.

Still does anyone know what the house on stilts is 116/Jasper? I'm thinking its a sales hut for the Emerald. Anyone know anything?

Administrator *

Its the Ultima/Encore sales office from 104 Ave/106 St. Not sure why they moved it. Maybe Rise is getting ready to develop the Healy Ford lands?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You mean this building?

Administrator *

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Its the Ultima/Encore sales office from 104 Ave/106 St. Not sure why they moved it. Maybe Rise is getting ready to develop the Healy Ford lands?
    The Encore sales office moved to a suite in the Ultima on Feb 1st.

Thought I would post this as a comparison. This is going up at Brentwood Mall in Vancouver.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...od_hi-res2.jpg
    massive ! a little plain but i like the height.

Around 55 storeys

Huh? Depression? We may have became depressed over a slight recession... Some of us predicted this fall would see movement of sort. Be realistic of how things go; it has been roughly 1.5 years since they purchased this lot.
    I know the word "depression" confuses people when it comes to the economy but the terms depression and recession have nothing to do with how bad the economy is. They have to do with the direction the economy is going in.

If the economy shrinks for three months then stabilizes and then grows for three months, the depression is that point of stability in between, regardless of whether the unemployment rate is 2% at that time or 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Around 55 storeys
    wow!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wish we could get something like the above downtown. A good place for a couple of towers like that would be right behind BP's there facing Jasper Ave.

I wonder if Regency is waiting to see how their other project One Twenty One goes before they start full steam on this one? Just speculation on my part.

Wish we could get something like the above downtown. A good place for a couple of towers like that would be right behind BP's there facing Jasper Ave.
    You mean where our new Central Park will be?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    I wonder if Regency is waiting to see how their other project One Twenty One goes before they start full steam on this one? Just speculation on my part.
    Regency works in mysterious ways sometimes, but drawings for Emerald Tower are nearly completed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go ahead soon-ish.

You mean where our new Central Park will be?
    Both a park and residential are so needed for that area. Any rough timelines for the park Ian?

^ For more about the park, go here please and thank you:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...n-Central-Park
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Regency works in mysterious ways sometimes, but drawings for Emerald Tower are nearly completed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go ahead soon-ish.
    Good to know. Thanks Marcel!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Would be nice to see the new renders.

Looks like there is a new piece of equipment on the land as of yesterday. I may have also spotted some steel...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Hearing that the excavation work has indeed begun.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

There is still underground parking, just not nearly as deep as it would be otherwise.
    Came across this post in reviewing the thread, and in fact there is no underground parking after all. My bad! So there won't be much excavation to be done here, and structure will go quick.

They must be putting in lots of pilings then to support such a tall building.?

Clarification - site prep has begun by way of some remediation work which will then be followed by foundation construction.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What's the grey-pink trailer on site for?

The dug a secondary pit on the southwest side of the property. Probably the remediation work IanO mentioned.

C2E SME

Yeah, remediation followed by test piling, but seems like it's a go.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They had a yellow pile driver or whatever that was on site this afternoon.

Emerald site

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks Ian, good shots.

Administrator *

Spoke to a worker on site, and he said shoring and excavation were a go. A few photos:

Emerald Tower by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

Emerald Tower by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

Shoring is for soil removal/remediation work. Footings/foundation work later summer/fall.
    www.decl.org

My memory isn't great. What was here before that remediation is required for this site?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

My memory isn't great. What was here before that remediation is required for this site?
    CWB Main Branch.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    CWB Main Branch.
    Was it dirty money?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I don't get what you mean by this. Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    CWB Main Branch.
    Was it dirty money?
    too funny...
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Very dirty.

CWB Main Branch.
    Was it dirty money?
    Ironic, cause wasnt it CWB that created the whole Downtown is "dirty/neglected" a decade ago?

Fail to see the irony. Question is what was there before the bank.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Wasn't it Devonian Motors, former AMC / Rambler dealership ?

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    CWB Main Branch.
    Was it dirty money?
    Ironic, cause wasnt it CWB that created the whole Downtown is "dirty/neglected" a decade ago?
    Wasn't it dirty and neglected though?

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    CWB Main Branch.
    Was it dirty money?
    Downtown Edmonton is still dirty, but at least its not neglected anymore. That being said, the "dirt and grime" is part of the appeal of our city IMO. I would rather live here where there is actual character than in a place like Calgary where downtown clears out promptly at 5pm.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEDM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    CWB Main Branch.
    Was it dirty money?
    Downtown Edmonton is still dirty, but at least its not neglected anymore. That being said, the "dirt and grime" is part of the appeal of our city IMO. I would rather live here where there is actual character than in a place like Calgary where downtown clears out promptly at 5pm.

Huh!! Downtown is pretty darn clean.

Opinion ^^^^^^^^^

Go have a walk passed the north side of rogers after 11pm.

Opinion ^^^^^^^^^

Then that would be the North side of Rogers. That's a fraction of downtown. it's not developed with a number of barren lots and fields. Expected.

Im downtown everyday....from my mind's eye a good 80% is well maintained these days. 10 to 20 years ago I could not have said this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Opinion ^^^^^^^^^

Then that would be the North side of Rogers. That's a fraction of downtown. it's not developed with a number of barren lots and fields. Expected.

Im downtown everyday....from my mind's eye a good 80% is well maintained these days. 10 to 20 years ago I could not have said this.
    Agree 100 percent. Overall downtown is very clean now, huge improvement over the last 10 years.

Certainly much better, but still much work to do.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

At least it’s good not to see graffiti on many of the buildings. I think, though, that some places still don’t clean up in front of their building.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Graffiti is up something like 60% city-wide... mostly tagging.

We continue to work with business owners, condos and other property owners to talk about Four Season cleaning: sweep, wash/plant, clean, shovel.
    www.decl.org

Graffiti is up something like 60% city-wide... mostly tagging.

We continue to work with business owners, condos and other property owners to talk about Four Season cleaning: sweep, wash/plant, clean, shovel.
    The City swept their residential streets, but I still see small pebbles all over the place. These things are a real annoyance.

281521625-002
    25-May-2018
    11350 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 13 Lot 115
    11350 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 13 Lot 116
    11350 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 13 Lots 117-118

To construct TEMPORARY FENCING for the use of sidewalk and boulevard for soil remedeation (permit valid from May 22 to May 25) - The Emerald.

281521625-003
    25-May-2018
    11350 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 13 Lot 115
    11350 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 13 Lot 116
    11350 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 13 Lots 117-118

To construct TEMPORARY SHORING for soil remedeation (permit valid from May 22 to May 25) - The Emerald.

PAGNOTTA INDUSTRIES INC.

Haven't been by the site in a bit. Any movement since the initial excavation and shoring?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There ws a crew on site yesterday doing more core sampling.

Remediation is ongoing. I am told construction end of summer/early fall.
    www.decl.org

As predicted roughly by some of us.

Is there a final design render established for the project shown to the public?

Taken by me earlier this evening

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That's basically what I saw on my commute into work about 3:30pm this afternoon

C2E SME

Can I assume this is a positive sign?

Yes. Soil remediation followed by construction.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If the shack on Jasper & 116th is the Emerald sales office, the structure is being modified on a daily basis.

Sales trap 116street and Jasper Westrich. Emerald, Regency.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What Langham isn't in there, yet?

about time !!
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They got a pole/equipment in there today about 3 stories tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Sales trap 116street and Jasper Westrich. Emerald, Regency.
    A sales trap?!? I better avoid that area then!!!

Very exciting to see this project getting started.

C2E Posting Power

Can't happen soon enough....to be honest we need to break ground on a ton of new buildings......been what 6 months since we've seen a hoe dig a new hole? Seems ****-kicker town keeps busting new holes - not sure how they keep the pace...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Trust in Regency guys, they always deliver. I believe they will have hoarding up around by labour day weekend. I'd like to see the CNIB building follow suite soon as well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

All the heavy equipment was off site yesterday. Vertical groupings of iron poles about an inch in diameter are clustered about the site right into the dirt. Is there going to be any kind of a basement to this tower?
    Last edited by envaneo; 13-07-2018 at 12:31 PM.

I heard everything is above ground so they would need some pretty healthy pilings with bells on. Maybe this is markings of some sort for that.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Most likely that was disscused here previously, thanks.

Isn't it 1 level UG? Either way, as ^^ mentions, piles with bells is likely the strategy here.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

No UG levels at all.

There is still underground parking, just not nearly as deep as it would be otherwise.
    So it's changed, then?
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    So it's changed, then?
    I'm not sure if it's "changed", necessarily. I was simply mistaken when I made that post. It may or may not have had UG parking at some point, I'm not sure.

You missed this post:

Came across this post in reviewing the thread, and in fact there is no underground parking after all. My bad! So there won't be much excavation to be done here, and structure will go quick.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They've got some steel girders imbedded in the ground and a pit of dome kind, most likely for utility hookups. I'm surprised there's no sub basement for mechanical and elevator.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast