Thread: Campaign underway to put women on currency

Default Campaign underway to put women on currency

Interesting. Sexist, but interesting, and long overdue.

As an aside, the switch to an icebreaker mentioned in the video was interesting. A northern sovereignty issue maybe? ...but hasn't that icebreaker thing been another huge costly boondoggle ...but off topic and something for another thread.

Campaign underway to put women on Canadian currency

excerpt:

"When the Bank of Canada started issuing new polymer notes in 2011 there was a public promise the images on the money would reflect diversity.

But aside from the Queen, who is an all Canadian currency, no women are currently featured on Canadian bills and coins."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1667055/ca...dian-currency/

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

interesting but i'm not sure how sexist or overdue it is.

while noting that the only image that is on all of our currency, paper/polymer and coin, is female, the article fails to note that there are no other images male or female that i can recall on any of our coins. i'm not sure how having nothing but a female image of our queen that has changed and aged quite gracefully reflects sexism.

our paper/polymer currency has traditionally featured our prime ministers in addition to our queen. that we have had but one female prime minister might be considered sexist but i'm not sure the fact our currency shows that makes our currency also sexist.

the article laments the fact that the only other female images that have appeared on our paper/polymer currency "have disappeared". to put that in perspective, all of the images that have appeared in addition to the queen and our prime ministers have disappeared. and while there are lots of paper/polymer bills in circulation, it's easy to forget that in total we only have a grand total of five different types of them - fives, tens, twentys,fiftys and hundreds. when you only have five of something there aren't a whole lot of options upon which to display "diversity and equality" in addition to displaying flora and fauna and boats and trains and landscapes and buildings...
    Last edited by kcantor; 14-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

They still make two dollar bills?

5, 10, 20, 50, 100 are the bills, not 2, 5, 10, 20, 50.

Don't forget good ol' Robert Borden. It's all about the Bordens in Canada.

(I have nothing to say on the issue, but correcting Ken is a rare treat!)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    They still make two dollar bills?

5, 10, 20, 50, 100 are the bills, not 2, 5, 10, 20, 50.

Don't forget good ol' Robert Borden. It's all about the Bordens in Canada.

(I have nothing to say on the issue, but correcting Ken is a rare treat!)
    i see you caught that as i was correcting it...

and you have done a good job of correcting me on a number of occasions where it was warranted or where clarification was warranted. no need to stop now.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Long Term Contributor

Queen Elizabeth II is on the $20 bills. Last I heard, she's still a woman. So what's the problem?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Some group who are stuck for things to do must have brought this up. I should imagine it's women who came of age in the 70's and have been bleating on for the last 45 years about women's equality. Money has a mighty big clout but who's face is on it's bills and coins is a non issue. If we are going to put a female on our currency let's make it Minnie Mouse. As far as I know she does not have a sketchy background.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Queen Elizabeth II is on the $20 bills. Last I heard, she's still a woman. So what's the problem?
    I vote for Shania Twain
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I wonder who would be the most recognized Canadian woman in the world? Shania Twaine? Pamela Anderson? Lots of good options out there I guess for the note, they should get rid of all the old dead male guys as well, and put some contemporary men on (Beiber? Neil Young?), it's a boring always using politicians.

^lol, just saw your post, great minds on Shania.

How about other great Canadians?

Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Rob Ford, Bob & Doug?

http://missesjanesjewels.blogspot.ca...xtra-this.html
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

drop all faces from our currency, i would like our bills to take after our change, and feature the animals of canada, a majestic moose or a girzzly bear on the 100! coolest currency in the world

Oh, and an honourable mention to Winnie the Pooh who was named after a black bear from Winnipeg.

http://www.coloring-book.info/colori...page.php?id=74
    Last edited by Gemini; 14-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    drop all faces from our currency, i would like our bills to take after our change, and feature the animals of canada, a majestic moose or a girzzly bear on the 100! coolest currency in the world
    That is what the other side is for. Look again, we have caribou, loons, polar bears, kids playing hockey, trains, space achievements. US currency has the White House, Masonic symbols and every bill is the same color. Boring.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-11-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Who uses paper currency anymore anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Some group who are stuck for things to do must have brought this up. I should imagine it's women who came of age in the 70's and have been bleating on for the last 45 years about women's equality. Money has a mighty big clout but who's face is on it's bills and coins is a non issue. If we are going to put a female on our currency let's make it Minnie Mouse. As far as I know she does not have a sketchy background.

Unfortunately EVERYONE that is famouse has a sketchy background. Now the Tooth Fairy. She's irreproachable.

Orrrrr is she? Trading in body parts. Hmmm.
    Last edited by KC; 16-11-2014 at 08:56 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oh, and an honourable mention to Winnie the Pooh who was named after a black bear from Winnipeg
    They'd have to license that from Disney, which owns everything related to Winnie and his friends.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Oh, and an honourable mention to Winnie the Pooh who was named after a black bear from Winnipeg
    They'd have to license that from Disney, which owns everything related to Winnie and his friends.
    Well, obviously once he's on our currency he'll have escaped that servitude and slavery of those southern states of California and Florida.

Why are they advocating for this? Don't the realize the queen is a woman?

^ do you have proof? LOL

Says the person taking time to post a useless comment.

Trudeau says new bank note will feature an iconic Canadian woman | CTV News

Critics have long argued that Canada’s bank notes ought to have more women on them.

There was a widespread outcry in 2012 when the Conservative government of the day replaced a $50 bill that featured Alberta’s “Famous Five” women and feminist Senator Thérèse Forget Casgrain with an image of the Canadian Coast Guard research ship.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/trude...oman-1.2809003

Comments:

13 hours ago
    Vanwest
    Thank goodness we finally have a Government looking after the big issues instead of worrying about trivial things like the economy, jobs and their adding $150 billion to the debt.
    Next up. The ketchup in the Parliamentary cafeteria

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknoteable/

~
    Last edited by KC; 09-03-2016 at 06:34 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

No, this is all third wave feminism of the last 25 years. Everything is sexist, they want equality as long as the slant is in their favour (family court, criminal courts, always the victim) and double standards abound!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    No, this is all third wave feminism of the last 25 years. Everything is sexist, they want equality as long as the slant is in their favour (family court, criminal courts, always the victim) and double standards abound!
    Doesn't that sentiment apply to every group seeking equal rights? No one wants to give up anything.

In the case of women though, odds are that they are the victim. We males are highly emotional creatures subject to frequent and violent emotional breakdowns. Hence all the murders and beatings of wives, ex-wives and girlfriends and ex-girlfriends...

They are also the ones that get pregnant in casual non-committed relationship and have very high odds of having to raise a child without significant contributions from the responsible males.
    Last edited by KC; 09-03-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    We males are highly emotional creatures subject to frequent and violent emotional breakdowns. Hence all the murders and beatings of wives, ex-wives and girlfriends and ex-girlfriends...
    And women emotionally manipulate men into marriage just so they can later divorce them and take half of what the men earned over their lives. Women also usually get custody rights to any kids, and more often withhold these kids from their dads as a means to extort more out of men.

There are many form of abuse, and men don't have a monopoly on it. Not by a long shot.

This

Women are just as capable of evil as men however society takes a different stance because women are always some sort of victim of something.

For example: When a women/girl joins ISIS she is "rescued" from terrorists as the headlines say, when a man/boy joins ISIS he's thrown in jail because he's a f*cking terrorist.

This is the bullsh*t that needs to stop and there's nothing equal about it. But then if you talk about it you're a misogynist.

Swedish girl rescued from Isis for second time

Doesn't that sentiment apply to every group seeking equal rights? No one wants to give up anything.

In the case of women though, odds are that they are the victim. We males are highly emotional creatures subject to frequent and violent emotional breakdowns. Hence all the murders and beatings of wives, ex-wives and girlfriends and ex-girlfriends...

They are also the ones that get pregnant in casual non-committed relationship and have very high odds of having to raise a child without significant contributions from the responsible males.
    White Knight alert!

Women are just as capable of evil as men however society takes a different stance because women are always some sort of victim of something.
    Yup.

If a man and a woman commit a crime (any crime) together, the man gets the harsher sentence.

Nobody has mentioned our first female Prime Minister on the nude new bills.

When history of Canada is written, Kim Campbell will be remembered for countless glass ceilings she broke. She was the first female student president at both her highschool and university. She was Canada’s first female Minister of Justice, Attorney General and later first female Minister of Defense. When she became Canada’s Prime Minister, she was not only her first female PM, but also the first baby boomer to hold that office, and the first PM to have been born in British Columbia.
    https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2...m-campbell-qc/

By the current rules we'll have to wait 25 years after her death before she would be eligible.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

She would be one of the people who SHOULDN'T be on the currency. While she inherited a lot of problems from Mulroney, her non-campaign didn't help. Not exactly a great PM in her very short term.

Pamela Anderson in her official Baywatch uniform with a baby seal ?

Yep, put some busty babe on there. Then, when you go bankrupt in this economy, you can place your last bill on the table with the appropriate side facing up. On a more serious note (oops!), I don't give a rat's who is on there.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Agreed

The kids playing hockey, the mountains or the old $50 with the RCMP is what is memorable. Who cares who is on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yup.

If a man and a woman commit a crime (any crime) together, the man gets the harsher sentence.
    Hmmm. Didn't your mothers teach you anything? Some stats someone please. Number of females killed by males ratio to the reverse.

Also, you said it. Women ARE always some sort of victim of something.
    Last edited by KC; 09-03-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Hmmm. Didn't your mothers teach you anything? Some stats someone please. Number of females killed by males ratio to the reverse.

Also, you said it. Women ARE always some sort of victim of something.
    This is a study done by a woman.

Men Sentenced To Longer Prison Terms Than Women For Same Crimes, Study Says

If you're a convicted criminal, the best thing you can have going for you might be your gender.

A new study by Sonja Starr, an assistant law professor at the University of Michigan, found that men are given much higher sentences than women convicted of the same crimes in federal court.

The study found that men receive sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts.

Starr also found that females arrested for a crime are also significantly more likely to avoid charges and convictions entirely, and twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted.

Other research has found evidence of the same gender gap, though Starr asserts that the disparity is actually larger than previously suspected because other studies haven't looked at the role of plea bargains and other pre-sentencing steps in the criminal justice system.

A 2009 study suggested the difference in sentencing might arise because "judges treat women more leniently for practical reasons, such as their greater caretaking responsibility."

Past studies have also found that minority men are, on average, given longer prison sentences than white men convicted of the same crimes.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1874742.html

Like I said, equality is wonderful when it works in your favour. This is one of many double standards that exist and I've seen it in action firsthand myself. This is why there's a subreddit called "pussypass".

To go back to topic at hand, anything worthy is entitled to being on currency. People forget that we don't need to have the queen on some of our currency either... but she is, she's a woman and her presence is there.

For some, it's too easy to pull out the sexist card.

The difference between the Queen and everybody else on our currency, and presumably whomever they chose to add, is that they've accomplished things. The Queen is on our currency because she was born, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    The difference between the Queen and everybody else on our currency, and presumably whomever they chose to add, is that they've accomplished things. The Queen is on our currency because she was born, nothing more.
    Symbolic presence like a flag. "Accomplishment" though is highly subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Symbolic presence like a flag. "Accomplishment" though is highly subjective.
    The point being that she is on the currency regardless of accomplishment. She is on the currency because she is the monarch, a position she holds regardless of accomplishment. When she is no longer the monarch, the new monarch will be on the currency, regardless of accomplishment.

Everyone else we put on the currency is to honour their accomplishments as Canadians. The past tradition in Canada has been to only put prime ministers or the monarch on the front but there's no particular reason that tradition can not be modified to include other Canadians of note.

The argument can be made that what is your sex should not determine who is next. A strong case can be made that our indigenous people have been ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The argument can be made that what is your sex should not determine who is next. A strong case can be made that our indigenous people have been ignored.
    Those sound like similar issues. Under representation. Based on gender or race. Both problems.

Here, I'll just say it. I realize this will be two birds with one stone and there's no way to put it other than to just say it... so here's some sexism and racism for all of you.

Let's face it, most big accomplishments have been done/made by white males. This is probably why *gasp* most accomplishments are on currency that include white males. Even though women make up part of the RCMP, and have for decades, I guess whenever someone looked at the RCMP bill everyone thought "look at all the privileged men" instead of "look it, there's women that make up part of the RCMP".

Find something noteworthy that a Canadian woman did and put her on a bill. Bonus points if she happens to be native, poor or uneducated.

so here's some sexism and racism for all of you
    Thanks I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I'd be in favour of the next series having no prime ministers but having a mix of great Canadians of all races and sexes. If we want to stay with government types we could go with:

Agnes MacPhail: First female MP
    Lincoln Alexander: First black Member of Parliament, the first black federal Cabinet Minister as well as the 24th, Lieutenant-Governor serving Ontario from 1985 to 1991, and the first person to serve five terms as Chancellor of the University of Guelph, from 1991 to 2007.
    Frank Arthur Calder: First native elected anywhere in Canada

To be totally politically correct, we would have to leave the spot blank. Otherwise we are elevating one person over another, one group over another or people over cute panda cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Thanks I guess?
    We have become so politically correct that we're not socially allowed to acknowledge the accomplishments of men, especially white men because even the mere suggestion that they were successful means someone else was a failure.

Thanks I guess?
    We have become so politically correct that we're not socially allowed to acknowledge the accomplishments of men, especially white men.
    The only people saying that are the white men who are used to the only people being acknowledged and represented.

Representation matters. Be it gender, race, sexuality or other factors. Representation in media of all forms (TV, Movies, advertising, or even on our money) is important. Representation is crucial so that people are aware of diversity, but also appreciate and celebrate that diversity.

White men are represented in virtually everything already.

The only people saying that are the white men who are used to the only people being acknowledged and represented.

Well if that was the case, this thread wouldn't exist.

I'm quite happy with the queen/king on one side of the coin and hockey players/bears/loons/landmarks etc. on the other. Is it a pressing matter that we have to have some ones mug (male or female) on the currency.

You can say that again chan.

There is no social program or support group for the single employed heterosexual white guy with no dependents.

He's only expected to shut up and pay for everybody else's.

And be labelled ignorant, intolerant, and an azzhole if he doesn't.

Oh come on Dawg, even if there was a social program or support group for the single employed heterosexual white guy with no dependents would you join?.

Uh...fair point.

That would be kinda creepy.

If they are giving out grants or support payments, where do I sign up?

Dang, gotta get rid of the wife and kid...

Oh come on Dawg, even if there was a social program or support group for the single employed heterosexual white guy with no dependents would you join?.
    Support group:
    aka hockey, football, rugby, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    You can say that again chan.

There is no social program or support group for the single employed heterosexual white guy with no dependents.

He's only expected to shut up and pay for everybody else's.

And be labelled ignorant, intolerant, and an azzhole if he doesn't.

Thanks Top_Dawg. Just for the people that don't know, we men are apparently privileged... so privileged in fact we kill ourselves 4X the rate of women.

Just think about that. 4X. And where's the outcry? Where's the "WTF is going on" within the media? Or government? Or within social programs?

Nobody f*cking cares.

And just to say Gem... this is one thing that is slowly changing. But we're not allowed to talk about our problems.

stats...

65% of Women Reported That They Regularly Hit Their Husbands.

Women are the Killers and Abusers in Canada.

http://www.canlaw.com/your-legal-rights/whokills.htm
    The Facts About Violence Against WomeN

About half (49%) of all female murder victims in Canada are killed by a former or current intimate partner. In contrast, only 7% of male murder victims were killed by intimate partners. 29
    Some self-reported research shows women are almost as likely to use violence against their partner as men.30 Although some people claim that men are too embarrassed to admit a woman has abused them, the reverse is actually true: in self-reported research, men tend to over-estimate their partner’s violence while under-estimating their own. At the same time, women over-estimate their own violence, and under-estimate their partner's. This explains why self-reported research often shows similar levels of violence by men and women, even though other research clearly shows that women are disproportionately the victim.
    In addition, self-reported research does not clarify that men are far more likely to initiate violence, while women are more likely to use violence in self-defence.31
    Most men are not abusive to their families. However, when family violence does occur, the victims are overwhelmingly female:
    83% of all police-reported domestic assaults are against women.32 This pattern is consistent for every province and territory across Canada.33
    In spousal violence, three times as many women experience serious violence such as choking, beating, being threatened with a knife or gun, and sexual violence. Women are more likely to be physically injured,34 to get a restraining order,35 and to fear for their lives.36
    For the past 30 years in Canada, women are three to four times as likely to be killed by their spouse.37
    About 80% of victims of dating violence are female.38
    Girls experience sexual assault at much higher rates than boys: 82% of all victims under the age of 18 are female. 39
    Girls are four times as likely as boys to be sexually assaulted by a family member. 40

http://www.canadianwomen.org/facts-about-violence
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2016 at 02:41 AM.

Support group:
    aka hockey, football, rugby, etc.
    Single employed heterosexual white guy support group:

Favorite bar.

Parents basement.

Isn't it really sort of too late anyways. I rarely use paper (okay plastic) bills, it is almost like the collector coins you can buy at the post office, sure they are currency (some of them) but nobody uses them.

Kitlope wrote:

This is why there's a subreddit called "pussypass".
    I wonder if the people who came up with that name are also the types to complain that men all get stereotyped as misogynistic jerks.

So, US decided to leave Alexander Hamilton on $10 bills, and put Harriet Tubman on $20 bills.

Source

Wall Street Journal, 20-Apr.-2016
    Harriet Tubman to Be Added to $20 Bill

The one thing I'm glad Canada does is age the queen, for the most part UK's image of her is from over 30 years ago, she'll be 90 in a few hours, not 60 anymore, sort of weird seeing her young on freshly minted money today.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/52759...-aging-process

The U.K. has the right idea. They change the face on a bill every ten years. They're currently updating three bills:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...e_iOSApp_Other

Why I say this is somewhat pointless is that Canada is moving towards a cashless economy, what is the point in putting anybody on money when the money doesn't physically exist. Just ran into this article where a bank robber had to leave as the bank was a cashless bank.
    http://www.wired.com/2016/05/sweden-cashless-economy/

I laughed out loud when I saw the stickers on the front doors of Swedish banks stating no cash on premises. Not out of condescension but rather sheer joy at the amazing pragmatism of it all.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

New $10 bill is also vertically oriented.

I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    So, US decided to leave Alexander Hamilton on $10 bills, and put Harriet Tubman on $20 bills.

Source

Wall Street Journal, 20-Apr.-2016
    Harriet Tubman to Be Added to $20 Bill
    That idea was canceled

Just musing if the US will ever feature Trump on a bill.

(btw, I'm delving into a bit of facetiousness here.)
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Not a chance. Trump could end up on a stamp with the greatest...

...criminals and traitor series including Benedict Arnold, Tokyo Rose, the Rosenberg and John Walker Jr.

Not to be a pooper, but America is not our country, so why are some so keen on talking about them on a thread commemorating female Canadians. Shouldnt we have pride in our country? Who gives a blank about Trump and the US in this forum.

On an aside note, i saw the interview of the lady of her sister and was she adorable and funmy.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

The idea that there was a actually law is fascinating. Who exactly passed that law in the first place? How could she have gone to jail over it?

Someone “getting tough on crime” - probably.

New $10 bill featuring civil rights activist Viola Desmond unveiled

“Viola Desmond, a woman who stood up for the rights of black people in Nova Scotia and went to jail for it, was honoured Thursday as a new $10 bill featuring her image was unveiled. “

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...iled-1.4567290

Viola Desmond - Wikipedia

“Viola Irene Desmond (July 6, 1914 – February 7, 1965) was a Canadian Black Nova Scotianbusinesswoman who challenged racial segregation at a film theatre in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, in 1946. She refused to leave a whites-only area of the Roseland Theatre and was convicted of a minor tax violation for the one-cent tax difference between the seat she had paid for and the seat she used. “

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_Desmond

Here’s how it went down:

Viola Desmond - The Canadian Encyclopedia

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...viola-desmond/
    Last edited by KC; 09-03-2018 at 12:36 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Not to be a pooper, but America is not our country, so why are some so keen on talking about them on a thread commemorating female Canadians. Shouldnt we have pride in our country? Who gives a blank about Trump and the US in this forum.

On an aside note, i saw the interview of the lady of her sister and was she adorable and funmy.
    Finally some reason.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^^
    By no means does this reflect in today's society- perhaps a super small population- but you must have heard of racism primarily, if not all, from the caucasian race towards other ethinicities historically? Poor informed thoughts creates hatred which creates stupid laws is basically the theme without making this an uncomfortable topic. Fast forward to today, we have come to the realization people are people with good, bad, and betweens dispite ethinicities, color, or race. We no longer fear the element of unknown as it has become the known hence acceptance and respect. We've learned that we need to judge based on individuals conduct rather than lump sum. If you are young, it is hard to fathom how history was. Other races had preconcieved notion of caucasions as well whom i have scolded many times for so. As they got accustomed to this culture, their perspectives have also changed of what they innitially percieved. Yes! They are my relations.

I believe today we still have broadly accepted discriminatory beliefs that that can get people arrested and jailed. We also have businesses that refuse service based purely on discrimination, stereotypes, etc and not any sound reasoning that sees the individual and not the preconceived notions of the group.

Like i said with my earlier statement, there will always be a small minority group which are as so. They are just ignorant aggresive/regressive people whom are selfish with self serving interests. They have artificial intelligence and actually quite weak humans. They act out out of fear disguising themselves as sophisticating individuals when they are actually anything but. We have a few members on here that exemplified my point. Grammar and punctuations are more pertinent than dignity, reputation and integration for them. They will live lonely lives as grammars and punctuations do not fill your internal souls. Good kind decent people will fill your soul regardless of race and religion etc.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

(...).
    Finally some reason.
    I know I don't normally like one word responses...hence this preamble.

Amen!
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Like i said with my earlier statement, there will always be a small minority group which are as so. They are just ignorant aggresive/regressive people whom are selfish with self serving interests. They have artificial intelligence and actually quite weak humans. They act out out of fear disguising themselves as sophisticating individuals when they are actually anything but. We have a few members on here that exemplified my point. Grammar and punctuations are more pertinent than dignity, reputation and integration for them. They will live lonely lives as grammars and punctuations do not fill your internal souls. Good kind decent people will fill your soul regardless of race and religion etc.
    On issues like this we’re looking in the rear view mirror but not looking ahead. Our constitution picks a few aspects of like like religious beliefs and codified rights around them. We broadly and legally discriminate based on age and I don’t know many people taking up that cause. We’re all complicit. It’s not a big deal because rights are earned by aging? Maybe. We allow religions to discriminate within their organizations by not allowing women equal access, etc. Overcoming old beliefs and accepting people as individuals and as equally deserving but as individuals with differences is a long slow process.

Until quite recently some women still faced a lot of discrimination, some legally enforced. Maybe it’s still the case. Then there’s the whole group of issues around LGBTQ. Then there’s issues related to First Nations rights, foster care, mental illness handling in the justice system and other issues that pop up every so often. We don’t realize some of them are wrong until we see how people are victimized by them. Even then we don’t alway big into the belief that the discrimination is wrong and must change.

On issues like this we’re looking in the rear view mirror but not looking ahead. Our constitution picks a few aspects of like like religious beliefs and codified rights around them. We broadly and legally discriminate based on age and I don’t know many people taking up that cause. We’re all complicit. It’s not a big deal because rights are earned by aging? Maybe. We allow religions to discriminate within their organizations by not allowing women equal access, etc. Overcoming old beliefs and accepting people as individuals and as equally deserving but as individuals with differences is a long slow process.

Until quite recently some women still faced a lot of discrimination, some legally enforced. Maybe it’s still the case. Then there’s the whole group of issues around LGBTQ. Then there’s issues related to First Nations rights, foster care, mental illness handling in the justice system and other issues that pop up every so often. We don’t realize some of them are wrong until we see how people are victimized by them. Even then we don’t alway big into the belief that the discrimination is wrong and must change.
    Rare view mirror is pertinent for it keep us in current position to steer us to the future
    Discrimination will always occur as prejudice will exist in some form outside the sovereign of race, color or Cree. We as a society must speak up when those fine lines are crossed, for, if we don't, we allow the ignorants with their agendas to slowly erode those values. We need to safeguard and stay on guard with our values and not become complacent as individuals. That is the key in my opinion. As per ageism, that is a western value that has to change. Senior homes are great when they are no longer physically capable of daily routines. When they are still healthy and capable of contributions to the family, integrate them as the Chinese and other cultures do. People here complain about lack of daycare fundings, this or that when our parents are fully capable of that role. This is how we maintain values personally and society as those parents pass down those traits. When we integrate our aging populations to our daily mundane routines, we learn and realize their true assets and values. When those assets are instilled in our children, everything you mentioned is processed with fair and thoughtful ways. North Americans ideologies is broken and flawed hence our delimas. Until we accept the "broken," we're stuck at the first stage. That is why mrs. Desmond is on the nrw $10 bill. She challenged our broken values and, we acknowledged that she was correct.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 10-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.

There are no "Men" on our money. Other than the Queen, there are previous Prime Ministers. That is all.

Cries for diversity on everything are getting old. Anyone recall the critic who said the Dunkirk movie was racist because it didn't have minorities in it? Yeah, just as dumb. You can't change history, you can only create different history for the future. Even many corporations are hiring less qualified people because they need to fill a diversity quota, and this is real, and a real problem. It's basically reverse-racism or reverse-sexism because the more qualified person is not getting hired because of their race or gender, and the job goes to a less-qualified person just because of forced diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    There are no "Men" on our money. Other than the Queen, there are previous Prime Ministers. That is all.

Cries for diversity on everything are getting old. Anyone recall the critic who said the Dunkirk movie was racist because it didn't have minorities in it? Yeah, just as dumb. You can't change history, you can only create different history for the future. Even many corporations are hiring less qualified people because they need to fill a diversity quota, and this is real, and a real problem. It's basically reverse-racism or reverse-sexism because the more qualified person is not getting hired because of their race or gender, and the job goes to a less-qualified person just because of forced diversity.
    Nothing new though. In the past various ‘connections’ put a whole lot of people into key positions and the most-qualified never had much of a shot at the position. A whole lot of potentially most-qualified never even get into the playing field in the first place.
    Last edited by KC; 13-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.

They may be priministers, but are they not men? If we talking about achievements then that is a different topic altogether.

Is the Queen not a woman?
    We put living Heads of state on our money, and dead Heads of Government. Seems to me that issue of Canada being sexist where currency is concerned has been dead since Victoria was crowned.

No problem with changing things up, but we should do better than tokenism. There should be no PMs on this upcoming series of bills.
    There can only be one.

Yes! She is only on their arbitrarily; how about Canadian women which what this topic is about. I couldn't less for the Queen. The men in question are CANADIANS. Got to read the topics prior to engaging.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 13-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Why are we putting cannibals on our money??

The men in question ate CANADIANS.

Typo sorry and corrected.

.... The men in question ate CANADIANS...
    That's the best typo I've seen in a while.
    There can only be one.

They may be priministers, but are they not men? If we talking about achievements then that is a different topic altogether.
    I'm just saying there are Prime Ministers on the money. Their gender or race doesn't, and shouldn't matter. The fact is, we put PM's on the money, that is all. Had the 8th PM for example been of a different race and/or gender, then that PM would probably be on the money as well. But like I said, that's our history and we can't change it.

Yes! She is only on their arbitrarily; how about Canadian women which what this topic is about. I couldn't less for the Queen. The men in question are CANADIANS. Got to read the topics prior to engaging.
    I think the Queen is officially Canadian.

I’m not sure what the constitution says but I believe in the oath of citizenship she is the Queen of Canada.

If PMs are the criteria maybe Kim Campbell should have been added.

Maybe they should have dumped all the faces and put other things on the currency.
    Last edited by KC; 14-03-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Why are we putting cannibals on our money??

The men in question ate CANADIANS.
    They’re often called blood suckers, and with our debt levels and their pension levels... taking a pound of flesh may soon be the norm

Kim's still alive - and we haven't added a new PM to a bill since McKenzie King in the 50s or 60s. Even among PMs only a small number get the honor. Deif and Pearson would be next if we added some.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Kim's still alive - and we haven't added a new PM to a bill since McKenzie King in the 50s or 60s. Even among PMs only a small number get the honor. Deif and Pearson would be next if we added some.
    Seems rather crazy adding dead people faces. Better to honour them while they are alive and they can appreciate the sentiment. Otherwise it’s just signalling to everyone else, what?

WLMK and Borden are both getting the boot with the Vertical series. Someone new's going on the 5, JAM to the 50 & Spock to the 100. Not sure if Liz is sticking to the 20.

Seems rather crazy adding dead people faces. Better to honour them while they are alive and they can appreciate the sentiment. Otherwise it’s just signalling to everyone else, what?
    Do that and you'll end up with a PM deciding that they should be on the money while they're still in office.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Do that and you'll end up with a PM deciding that they should be on the money while they're still in office.
    Well that’s a given. Might be a good thing. Before familiarity breeds contempt.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Swiss Franks are also vertically oriented.

I wonder if we can ever have a scientist series on the $5, $10, $20, $50, $100?

Who could go on?
    Banting and Best
    Alexander Graham Bell
    Lap-Chee Tsui
    Arthur B. McDonald
    Sir Sandford Fleming

I think the Queen is officially Canadian.

I’m not sure what the constitution says but I believe in the oath of citizenship she is the Queen of Canada.

If PMs are the criteria maybe Kim Campbell should have been added.

Maybe they should have dumped all the faces and put other things on the currency.
    Kim Campell? Really? The other PM's were selected because they accomplished things and were elected PM. Kim Cambell was defaulted to PM when Mulroney retired. Nobody voted for her. And she was only PM for 5 months, and during that time, all she did was campaign.

So to specify my previous statement about having PM's on the money: They were ELECTED PM's.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...as an aside...

...this thread is the very definition of first world problems...

Put in a simple process where people can be submitted, voted on, and then printed for a specific currency run of 24 months or so. It is not like we don't have the capability to make this a simple task. Then, all are readily submitted.

Changing currency every 24 months is the quickest path to a cash-free society.

Heck, the ETS ticket machines still choke on last year's Canada 150 $10.

How about getting rid of the people altogether and going back to wildlife and landscapes? Put Moraine Lake back on the $20!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

^sure. ...but I'm sure someone will get offended when their landscape is not put on the bill...claim mountain privilege, or being oppressed by the beaverarchy....

Could always do like the Euro bridges & create landscapes that are evocative of specific parts of Canada while not actually being a depiction of an actual place. Plus then some artist can come along & make them real like what happened with the bridges!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...nknote-bridges