Thread: Our Short Summers - self imposed

Default Our Short Summers - self imposed

I've always heard the complaints that we have short summers but are they? As soon as September hits I hear people saying it's fall when we still have weeks of summer left. Worse, we spread this perception to anyone that will listen. So I've always wondered how we could extend our perception of summer to last as long as summer actually lasts.

This article is interesting in this respect and I see parallels in our behavior here:

Why Japan's beaches are deserted - despite the sunshine
    By Michael Fitzpatrick, Tokyo, 30 September 2014
    Excerpts:
    "Visit the sun-blessed sands near Tokyo any day in August and you'll witness millions ambling out from their air-conditioned roosts into the soupy afternoon heat and heading for the waves.

But once August is over, nothing. Emptiness."

What happens on 1 September is that lifeguards vanish, because local authorities pull them from the beaches and close all amenities. Summer-season beach bars and restaurants are also meekly dismantled.

"...we will never think to challenge the status quo," says Sato.

Indoctrination starts at school. Children are drilled: "Follow the rules. Don't be selfish. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

They learn that custom decreed long ago that autumn (the time you halt beach trips and instead do autumny things) returns at midnight on 31 August precisely. Only a barbarian would ...."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29429742
    Last edited by KC; 01-10-2014 at 07:17 AM.

I need to mow my lawn this Saturday. I will attempt to do it in shorts.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

I try to take most of my vacation time in the shoulder season, less crowded, cheaper, still warm all in all a more enjoyable experience. We are going to Banff mid October not sure if we'll do the tram or not, depends if there is snow and how much on top.

The point is well taken with Tokyo, where temperatures barely dip below freezing in winter but here the summer is actually short. In Edmonton, judging by when the golf courses open, we drag as much out of the few months we have as possible.

Practically speaking summer in Edmonton is about 3 and half months running from June through to the middle of September. First snow is usually in November with winter running through to March, close to five months.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Even when the weather is summery (it was 30 just last week, remember), somehow it still manages to feel like fall in September, and that feeling increases the further into September we get. I think it's the shortening days, how low the sun is on the horizon, and the leaves that start falling from the trees even when it's hot.
    Last edited by Idealistic Pragmatist; 01-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

For me, September and October offer the best time of year to do mtb trail riding. Not too hot, not cold, just perfect, with the bonus after the first killing frost.... no more skeeters/unintended protein during the ride.

I have still been cooking on the barbecue sitting outside in my yard most afternoons and early evenings. I just put on a jacket and I can sit out there for a couple of hours. It's nice!

People in this city are such wimps when it comes to weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    (...), we drag as much out of the few months we have as possible.
    I couldn't agree more. we have 4 months at best, and we do cram everything we can into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Even when the weather is summery (it was 30 just last week, remember), somehow it still manages to feel like fall in September, and that feeling increases the further into September we get. I think it's the shortening days, how low the sun is on the horizon, and the leaves that start falling from the trees even when it's hot.
    It is the wind. Even though there is a 30 degree day, the wind always has a slight chill to it. That is what makes the transition in many minds. The night drops low enough that the heat mass of many areas starts to deplete. I get this especially on the lake...after September long weekend I normally have to have the cabin enclosed. The lake "flips" and gets colder right around that time. You can actually "smell" the change in the air.

The flip in the season is actually very sudden, and readily felt if you just listen to good ol' Mother Nature. Nothing self imposed here.
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I have still been cooking on the barbecue sitting outside in my yard most afternoons and early evenings. I just put on a jacket and I can sit out there for a couple of hours. It's nice!

People in this city are such wimps when it comes to weather.
    I BBQ all year long unless it's so cold the propane won't flow.

^ ..and why I switched to a natural gas bbq. MMMM....steeeeak
    Onward and upward

C2E Continued Contributor

I had a good laugh today at the print edition of The Journal. Staples profiles Clr. Michael Oshry and the headline reads "Gritty Edmontonian has made his mark on Council".
    And why is Oshry "gritty"? Does he occasionally wear his bow tie askew? Polka dot socks with a pinstripe suit?

Apparently it's because he doesn't complain about the weather. Gawd!

There are plenty of things wrong with the column but that made me nasal spew my morning java.

Staples was a great reporter but he is a crap columnist.

In response and solidarity for not letting the end of summer stop you from doing what you love...

...I BBQ's 2 steaks for lunch...sat on my balcony...and enjoyed a work from home day. Amazing...

...I'd do this at -30 too. Sun is sun.
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    It is the wind. Even though there is a 30 degree day, the wind always has a slight chill to it. That is what makes the transition in many minds. The night drops low enough that the heat mass of many areas starts to deplete. I get this especially on the lake...after September long weekend I normally have to have the cabin enclosed. The lake "flips" and gets colder right around that time. You can actually "smell" the change in the air.

The flip in the season is actually very sudden, and readily felt if you just listen to good ol' Mother Nature. Nothing self imposed here.
    30°C is 30°C, regardless of whether it happens in July or September. The "chill" in the wind is either a cool (as in less than 30°C) breeze off the lake after a late summer storm has brought cold water to the surface, or a result of lower humidity making evaporative cooling more effective (humidity is generally lower in September than in July).

Another difference between a 30°C day in July and a 30°C day in September is the length of time the temperature stays at or near 30°C. In July, low temperatures between hot days are ~18°C, and the sun rises early so the temperature is already over 20°C by the time you make it outside. The temperature is over 28°C by noon, and stays there until evening. In September, the lows are closer to 12°C and the late sunrise means the temperature won't have risen much when you go out in the morning. The temperature rises steadily though the day, peaks for a couple hours the afternoon, then quickly starts dropping as the sun begins to set.

...I get the "chill" whether I am on the lake, at the farm, or downtown...

ambient 30 is ambient 30 I agree...but the difference in the air is noticeable...and yes...length of time the sun is up leads to the smaller heat sink, as I mentioned...

Onward and upward

C2E Hard Core Contributor

does anyone have one of those propane/natural gas outdoor heater towers on their patio? if so how well do they work?
    be offended! figure out why later...

While it's not noticeable this year, the City's extensive planting of ash trees for street trees sure seems to drag down my morale as they usually seem to yellow and loose their leaves after the first moderately cool day. Gotta love that cold and desolate street feeling once all the leaves blow off.

In comparison, the preponderance of spruce and pine in Jasper and Banff sure keeps those places nice and green well into the fall. (Sometimes it's hard to tell its a fall day there.)

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    does anyone have one of those propane/natural gas outdoor heater towers on their patio? if so how well do they work?
    The one I have works well.

The heat is infrared, so the heat is unaffected by wind (cold wind can still make you chilly, but you always feel the heat penetrating through the wind).

This discussion is such crap. Every one of you lacks the imagination and the wits to go beyond the mindless summergoodfallbad chant.

The autumn is the best time of year. I welcome it. The shorter the bloody hot oppressive screaming kid-filled summer the better.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    This discussion is such crap. Every one of you lacks the imagination and the wits to go beyond the mindless summergoodfallbad chant.

The autumn is the best time of year. I welcome it. The shorter the bloody hot oppressive screaming kid-filled summer the better.
    I like the heat of summer but beyond staining my concrete patio black, I can't change reality - the weather is what it is.

However, we can change how we perceive and behave in late summer and thus the impression we give to the rest of the world what it is really like here.

Telling the world that we have a stinkin bad climate with a n exceedingly long 'x' months of winter and a short 'y' months of summer (what's the typical phrase) just hurts us all. We need to start seeing summer in September for what it is, a potentially great part of the year and not "fall".

I challenge you to find anyone in this thread saying anything against fall, so I'm not sure where the 'crap' charges come in. The fall here is gorgeous (usually). But calling it summer just because of that gorgeousness doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

As a handy point of reference, I further subdivide the 4 seasons to correspond to each month.

January is mid-winter
    February is late winter
    March is early spring
    April is mid-spring
    May is late spring
    June is early summer
    July is mid-summer
    August is late summer
    September is early fall
    October is mid-fall
    November is late fall
    December is early winter

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    As a handy point of reference, I further subdivide the 4 seasons to correspond to each month.

January is mid-winter
    February is late winter
    March is early spring
    April is mid-spring
    May is late spring
    June is early summer
    July is mid-summer
    August is late summer
    September is early fall
    October is mid-fall
    November is late fall
    December is early winter

Works for me.
    Based on temperature and snowfall I put November into early winter for Edmonton and March into late winter.

I spent the day as I often do on my days off, crossing the river on foot and wandering around central Edmonton.

The colors of the sky, the leaves, the air, it's all amazing. That and the freshness in the air!

Much better this than the dog days of July.

Long live short summers, and may they be shorter yet.

I challenge you to find anyone in this thread saying anything against fall, so I'm not sure where the 'crap' charges come in. The fall here is gorgeous (usually). But calling it summer just because of that gorgeousness doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    We have long accepted conventions for the seasons. Summer ends in late September, not August. Summer begins in late June not May.

And to be fair it almost hit 20 degrees today (Oct 4th). Nobody ever mentions the warm days in fall only the cold ones.

^ Just came back from the playground with my daughter. Beautiful day for kids to play but it was near empty.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

We have long accepted conventions for the seasons. Summer ends in late September, not August. Summer begins in late June not May.
    Those are just the equinox and solstice points and have nothing to do with local climate. The convention I've always been used to was Fall begins when the leaves start changing. When I worked in Northern Alberta that was late August. In Edmonton it's early September. When I was Montréal it was early October I think.

^ Just came back from the playground with my daughter. Beautiful day for kids to play but it was near empty.
    The other kids have their eyes fixated to some like of screen: TV, computer, PlayStation, cell phone. Their parents are doing the same and won't let their children out to play because they fear that they will be abducted.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Those are just the equinox and solstice points and have nothing to do with local climate. The convention I've always been used to was Fall begins when the leaves start changing. When I worked in Northern Alberta that was late August. In Edmonton it's early September. When I was Montréal it was early October I think.
    That's because we plant so much green ash. I grew up with a huge laurel leaf willow in the back yard that kept its green leaves until the snow was flying.

That's because we plant so much green ash. I grew up with a huge laurel leaf willow in the back yard that kept its green leaves until the snow was flying.
    And neither of those is native to the area. I go by when the poplar's start turning.

And neither of those is native to the area. I go by when the poplar's start turning.
    When we're talking non-calendar, non-astronomical definitions of seasons, we have the luxury of being able to do things in the city to maximize the perception of summer's duration. We probably shouldn't do too much of the opposite.

It's a matter of 'perception and promotion' and do we wish to promote the idea that Edmonton has next to no summer?

Still, I prefer the fixed astronomical definitions for the seasons and not telling people that summer ends with August, but instead on September 20th or 21st. (I sense that many Edmontonians do much as the article on Japan highlighted for their culture.)

Edmonton article on Wikipedia:
    "Typically, summer lasts from late June until early September, and the humidity is seldom uncomfortably high. Winter lasts from November to March, and varies greatly in length and severity. Spring and autumn are both short and highly variable. Edmonton's growing season is from May 7 to September 23"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton

Edmonton’s short summers can’t stop the wake
    " There is no doubt that Edmonton summers are short. They’re so
    short some people actually embrace the concept of global warming. It sucks
    sometimes, but there’s no point whining about it. Instead, we should..."
    http://www.vueweekly.com/edmontonrsq...stop_the_wake/
    Last edited by KC; 05-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.

It's a matter of 'perception and promotion' and do we wish to promote the idea that Edmonton has next to no summer?
    Myself, I refer the seasons not by the official equinoxes (equinoxen?) but by the weather that is stereotyped as typical for a given season. Going by that system, our summer is actually longer than people from outside realize (certainly my northern and central European friends and acquaintances are surprised to learn that our June is significantly warmer than theirs).

I actually tend to think it's spring and fall that are especially short here (certainly much more so than what I grew up with). And we tend to get few days in either spring or fall that actually feel like the typical spring or fall that I remember from other places; the rest of the days in those seasons are "summer" and "winter" in alternation until one wins out.

(For what it's worth, this is not a complaint. I vastly prefer Edmonton weather to the dull and dreary skies that are so common everywhere else I've lived.)

Ok, so I heard on the radio a few minutes ago the CBC staff say: "here we are in the fall" following a comment something like: 'well, summer's over it's winter'.

I don't recall hearing people say on June 1st that it's the first day of summer:
    Summer ends today!

Cindy Day, Meteorologist, CTV Atlantic
    August 31, 2016

...Most modern day calendars around the world reflect this and divide the year into 4 seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter. Based on that,we still have a few weeks of summer to go, as fall arrives September 22nd, at 11:21 AM.

The other definition makes today the last day of summer: meteorological summer.

...Meteorological spring includes March, April, and May; meteorological summer includes June, July, and August; meteorological fall includes September, October, and November; and meteorological winter includes December, January, and February. These seasons were created for meteorological observing and forecasting purposes; calculating data for a season is much easier when you’re dealing with whole months.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/ctv-news-...oday-1.3052239
    Last edited by KC; 11-09-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Most of the people in this city are the world's biggest wimps when it comes to weather.

Most of the people in this city are the world's biggest wimps when it comes to weather.
    That's complete BS. The transition from warm -> cold is tough. Then look at spring. It gets +2 and people are out in shorts and t-shirts in March.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    That's complete BS. The transition from warm -> cold is tough. Then look at spring. It gets +2 and people are out in shorts and t-shirts in March.
    I disagree with you, Mr Oilers is right. As I child, I grew up in a climate a bit like Vancouver's, damp, and wet in winter, with average temperatures from 5 to 10c. But:

1. We didn't have central heating. Our house inside was about 15c. You would get up in morning and it would be cold when out of bed. As there was no natural gas in my city, the only way to heat a room was a little fan heater (fires were banned due to smog inversion issues). No double glazing, draughty damp houses. More people die of cold related illnesses in temperate countries than winter countries.
    2. As a child they made us walk to school in shorts school uniform, often it would be a zero / frost in morning (they don't this now, but then, I'm sounding a bit Monty Pythonesq so will stop).

We are totally insulated from the cold in Canada. Central heating / heated parkades / insulation / natural gas. When people do go out for activities its all bundled up. Its a spoiled life (why I like it). The summer is too short though.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-09-2016 at 11:03 AM.

That's complete BS.
    I don't think so. i concede that people in the spring are eager to cure their 'cabin fever' and go outside in light clothes when the temperature climbs.

However, once it's May I notice most people here don't bother sitting outside (for any reason) unless they can wear a T-shirt. All one has to do is look at how many restaurants don't provide outdoor seating until June, or completely close down patios after the Labor Day weekend. In other cities, more people welcome the idea of throw on a light jacket to enjoy being outside on a patio. Too many people in Edmonton would rather just go indoors and complain about it not being t-shirt weather outside.

"House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!"

That's complete BS.
    I don't think so. i concede that people in the spring are eager to cure their 'cabin fever' and go outside in light clothes when the temperature climbs.

However, once it's May I notice most people here don't bother sitting outside (for any reason) unless they can wear a T-shirt. All one has to do is look at how many restaurants don't provide outdoor seating until June, or completely close down patios after the Labor Day weekend. In other cities, more people welcome the idea of throw on a light jacket to enjoy being outside on a patio. Too many people in Edmonton would rather just go indoors and complain about it not being t-shirt weather outside.
    Totally agree. Even in Vacouver, patios are busy at 10 degrees.

So I don't want to sit on a patio at 10° in the city. That's not comfortable and beer doesn't really pair well with that. But don't call me a wimp, I have no problems skiing in -20° if that's what it happens to be when I go.

I have no problem sitting on the patio at the upper chalet or tailgating in parking lot 4 in the at anything warmer than -5, as long as the wind isn't howling.

I won't enjoy the same conditions next to a slushy gutter on a busy street. Plus I don't already have an extra layer on, so there's that.
    There can only be one.

^^ Cool weather does pair well with beer - it won't get warm before you are finished drinking it.

10°C is pleasant in the sun with a light jacket or sweater, but gets chilly if it is cloudy and/or windy.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I disagree with you, Mr Oilers is right. As I child, I grew up in a climate a bit like Vancouver's, damp, and wet in winter, with average temperatures from 5 to 10c. But:

1. We didn't have central heating. Our house inside was about 15c. You would get up in morning and it would be cold when out of bed. As there was no natural gas in my city, the only way to heat a room was a little fan heater (fires were banned due to smog inversion issues). No double glazing, draughty damp houses. More people die of cold related illnesses in temperate countries than winter countries.
    2. As a child they made us walk to school in shorts school uniform, often it would be a zero / frost in morning (they don't this now, but then, I'm sounding a bit Monty Pythonesq so will stop).

We are totally insulated from the cold in Canada. Central heating / heated parkades / insulation / natural gas. When people do go out for activities its all bundled up. Its a spoiled life (why I like it). The summer is too short though.
    Makes us sound pretty smart I'd say.

On the short summer biz, I think I'm going to go with the June 1 - Sep 1 plan. Can't seem to win on the Sept 21st I end date idea. Just don't let anyone tell you that summer is shorter than three months. The people that do that are the same ones that start winter in November.

As far as us being wimps. I like winter. The more snow the better. Love the -40 days too. Love the bright sunny fresh snow winter days most of all among fall and winter conditions.

However, I don't like going indoors to get cold, as in curling or skating indoors.
    Last edited by KC; 12-09-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I have no problem sitting on the patio at the upper chalet or tailgating in parking lot 4 in the at anything warmer than -5, as long as the wind isn't howling.

I won't enjoy the same conditions next to a slushy gutter on a busy street. Plus I don't already have an extra layer on, so there's that.
    Exactly!

Somewhat related: It's incredibly annoying when it's cold out and we're all bundled up with layers, mitts, etc. and then you walk into a store that's blasting hot air, so either you have to strip down or sweat it out. Turn the temps down a touch and have employees wear a layer! *Does not apply to restaurants where people will take their coats off*

It's worse on ETS. Deep winter, driver in short sleeves and the bus just friggin' tropical. Meanwhile the rest of us plebes having to dress for the weather develop a handy layer of sweat that freezes the minute you step out the back door. Classic FU from the thoughtful and service loving, get-a-car-loser folk at ETS.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    It's worse on ETS. Deep winter, driver in short sleeves and the bus just friggin' tropical. Meanwhile the rest of us plebes having to dress for the weather develop a handy layer of sweat that freezes the minute you step out the back door. Classic FU from the thoughtful and service loving, get-a-car-loser folk at ETS.
    Sounds delightful. Have you sent feedback to the city? It's impossible to change businesses en masse, but ETS should be informed about these things. The city wonders why nobody likes the bus.