Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Park | Residential Development (multi-building) | Under Constuction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Century Park | Residential Development (multi-building) | Under Constuction

Thank you for your interest in Century Park Club & Residences, a spectacular resort-style property in Edmonton, Alberta, by Canada's premier luxury residential design team.

You'll be moved by Century Park Club & Residences. Ownership offers a unique array of year-round resort-style amenities. The terraced, solid-concrete homes are beautifully appointed, with natural marble, granite, wood finishing and contemporary, Collezioni kitchens. Every detail at Century Park is designed for people who enjoy the finer things in life - elegant architecture and interiors, lush gardens and grounds, and a carefree, vibrant lifestyle.

Visit the Century Club and enjoy your exclusive pool and whirlpool, lake for rowing or skating, virtual golf, fitness centre and club lounge. You can conveniently book a massage or make personal appointments with your in-house CenturyNetT. Everything you desire from jogging paths to village shops, restaurants and caf s, plus rapid transportation to downtown, just steps from your door.

You'll be invited to preview Century Park Club & Residences before the official public opening. In the meantime, we encourage you to visit our website and stay tuned for further email updates. We've had an amazing response so far, and previews for Phase One will begin September 2006.

Get in early to secure the signature first-phase address: One Century Park Club & Residences. For more information on this amazing community, please call 780-410-1738 or visit us via the web at centurypark.ca.

This is an investment you don't want to miss!

Thank you,

Bob Rennie
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I am watching this development with baited breath. I really like the potential to have a signature highrise community visible from our southern entrance. What a way to dispel this pimple on the prairie moniker...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I wish I was still working on this project, I would have some inside info on it.

grish

I wish it was closer to downtown, say that space between the river, 97 Ave and Leg grounds. the only positive of it being where it is is the LRT extension. But that's just me.

This project will blow the doors off of the Edmonton market.

Can't wait for this bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by grish
    I wish it was closer to downtown, say that space between the river, 97 Ave and Leg grounds. the only positive of it being where it is is the LRT extension. But that's just me.
    too dense for that area IMO....but i would love to see a replica in the north edge, east jasper, and warehouse areas.

Richard S - it will be our Burnaby
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by grish
    too dense for that area IMO....but i would love to see a replica in the north edge, east jasper, and warehouse areas.

Richard S - it will be our Burnaby
    Replica. A very scarry word. The market, demopgraphics and urban structure of south Edmonton and Century park are quite different than what exists in the East Village and North Edge.

Century park is a more insular project than should occur in downtown. Although I do want to see architecture of simmilar quality to Century park downtown; I think the urban design should be approached in a different manner.

Downtown requires an urban design approach that recognises the public nature of the area. Urban areas come with a more unpredictable development pattern and new developments need to reflect that dynamisim. Century park can get away with more things like lakes and highly designed ammenity features as it is a large site that is essentialy isolated form the surrounding urban fabric.

(Yes I know they have paths and trails and connections; however the overiding attitude is inward looking. The marketing refering to a "resort" spells it out).

^oh...i should have elaborated....but yes i agree
    www.decl.org

Century Park will have problems if it continues to focus inwards on itself. It needs to interact more with the existing roads, and neighbourhoods that surround it. It was painfull walking around the whole project, expecially in the south end where retail has already been built. This is why I turned down the idea of living near Century Park.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    Century Park will have problems if it continues to focus inwards on itself. It needs to interact more with the existing roads, and neighbourhoods that surround it. It was painfull walking around the whole project, expecially in the south end where retail has already been built. This is why I turned down the idea of living near Century Park.

when completed i think we will see some more interaction but i dont mind it facing inward for the parts people will see on the exterior will be nice looking.
    www.decl.org

when completed i think we will see some more interaction but i dont mind it facing inward for the parts people will see on the exterior will be nice looking.
    I think the design of Century park is appropriate for the area. To place a very high density project into an existing suburban area is a difficult task; and I think it has been sucessfully done. As for the inwardness, it is an appropriate responce to the very real marketing situation of getting suburbanites into high rise/ high density living.

I do not feel that form of design can or should be transplanted into an existing high density urban area.

For Edmonton's urban areas, it might be more appropriate to look at the Yaletown/Arbutus type design in Vancouver rather than the False Creek/Coal Harbour type design.

"For Edmonton's urban areas, it might be more appropriate to look at the Yaletown/Arbutus type design in Vancouver rather than the False Creek/Coal Harbour type design. "

hell...if we even get close to any of those designs we are far far better off than we are today.
    www.decl.org

^I do admire what goes on in Vancouver. I find Edmonton seems to be looking to the "Vancouver model" a lot lately.

We should be careful to pull appropriate design elements/ideas from Vancouver but we should not expect to transplant Vancouver's accomplishments to Edmonton.

I truly believe in a contextual responce to design.

Quote Originally Posted by BDavidson
    ^I do admire what goes on in Vancouver. I find Edmonton seems to be looking to the "Vancouver model" a lot lately.

We should be careful to pull appropriate design elements/ideas from Vancouver but we should not expect to transplant Vancouver's accomplishments to Edmonton.

I agree and I've stated this before. Edmonton should adopt certain architectural and urban design elements from Vancouver but should NOT, replicate them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    Quote Originally Posted by BDavidson

I agree and I've stated this before. Edmonton should adopt certain architectural and urban design elements from Vancouver but should NOT, replicate them.
    Yes, but this can't be an excuse for the crap that has been built and garnished with a hint of 'edmontonian artistic/architectual flavour' IMO. Time will tell...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onishenko

Yes, but this can't be an excuse for the crap that has been built and garnished with a hint of 'edmontonian artistic/architectual flavour' IMO. Time will tell...
    Ohh, but DON'T tear any of it down - it violates our "history".

OK, overly sarcastic, but I'm hot and tired...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Ohh, but DON'T tear any of it down - it violates our "history".

OK, overly sarcastic, but I'm hot and tired...
    No one went quite THAT far, Mr. Cranky Pants

They are placing the fencing around the site where the first phase will be constructed. The sale center will be absolutely fantastic.

Yes indeed. The sales centre is looking very hot!

Sales centre? Is that what that mysterious tall glass structure is?

^You are correct, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by IKAN104
    Sales centre? Is that what that mysterious tall glass structure is?
    Not the several story one though. That is the proffesional centre. The Sales Centre is all glass, one open room, 3000 sq. ft. approx. Just east of SBUX.

Wow! That is the most impressive sales center I've ever seen. Surely that building will be leased to a retail tenant once the sales center is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by IKAN104
    Wow! That is the most impressive sales center I've ever seen. Surely that building will be leased to a retail tenant once the sales center is no longer needed.
    In 10-15 years!

Default Century Park

I am in the market for a new Condo - when will the sales office open, when are the first units being made available and when is the LRT scheduled to arrive. If no LRT - I am not interested - as I work downtown. Can anyone tell me anything?? Also is there a large development planned for downtown - because that is my 1st preferance - one with scads of amenities, a Starbucks in the place, maybe a goumet takeout or two...

LRT is scheduled to open at Century Park in 2009 and first occupation for units will probably be late 2007 or early 2008. They will be located North East of the current development area, in the the demolished parts of the mall and the open land stretching toward Safeway.

There is a large redevelopment planned on the north edge (105 ave) at 101 st, I believe. There were some initial renderings and it looks quite nice. It is being done by Abbey Lane and another developer (BCM?) That I can't remember. The initial concept I believe was sent to the SDAB and some modifications were asked for. Where that sits for timeline I have no idea. One of the other forumers here may no better.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    LRT is scheduled to open at Century Park in 2009 and first occupation for units will probably be late 2007 or early 2008. They will be located North East of the current development area, in the the demolished parts of the mall and the open land stretching toward Safeway.
    Actually, the first phase will be located in the southeast corner of the site, adjacent to the Safeway and Spa Lady.

There is a large redevelopment planned on the north edge (105 ave) at 101 st, I believe. There were some initial renderings and it looks quite nice. It is being done by Abbey Lane and another developer (BCM?) That I can't remember. The initial concept I believe was sent to the SDAB and some modifications were asked for. Where that sits for timeline I have no idea. One of the other forumers here may no better.
    Carma LP is also involved in the North Edge project known as Aurora. The initial concept was not reviewed by SDAB, it was reviewed by the newly formed Edmonton Design Committee where they advised of some changes.

I believe they are hoping to start presales by winter.

[quote="ChrisD"]
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    Actually, the first phase will be located in the southeast corner of the site, adjacent to the Safeway and Spa Lady.
    That is what I said, north east of the current developement area...anyway it is low/midrise to start with.

century park, strathern, aurora, north edge, and east jasper will truly mean some interesting projects coming on stream soon....thank god.
    www.decl.org

Default Century Park gets set to start selling

Century Park gets set to start selling
    Residential construction starts on $1-billion project that will take eight years to complete

Ron Chalmers
    The Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

CREDIT: Candace Elliott, The Journal
    REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT: Bob Pierce, development manager for Century Park, stands in front of the project's retail stores and sales office on Monday.

EDMONTON - Century Park, a billion-dollar development on the former Heritage Mall site, will open its stylish marketing centre in September to start selling 2,900 condominium units.

"Based on today's construction costs, it will probably be close to $1 billion by completion," says Century Park development manager Bob Pierce.

With inflation over the expected eight-year construction schedule, "it could well cost $1 billion," he says.

The multi-use project already has leased three new, red-brick retail buildings near the southwest corner of the 17-hectare site at 23rd Avenue and 111th Street.

"They were fully leased before we finished construction," Pierce says.

A fourth retail building, also occupied, remains from the previous development.

Those structures total about 80,000 square feet, with another 320,000 square feet of retail to be added along the east side of 111th Street and in the interior of the complex.

Leasing will emphasize "community retail," Pierce says, with current tenants including financial institutions, a coffee shop, liquor store, restaurants and a women's sports wear shop.

The spectacular marketing centre, with glass walls, nine-metre ceilings and an inverted-pitch roof "will give people an indication of the style of architecture for the whole complex," Pierce says.

"We'll bring in displays of the suites and models of the development."

The first residential phase will comprise 185 units in two seven-storey buildings near the eastern edge of the property, which extends to 109th Street.

Pierce will set the prices in the next two weeks, then will contact potential buyers who have already expressed interest. On Sept. 23, he will open the marketing centre to the general public.

"We expect the first phase to sell out quickly," he says.

Also in September, Pierce expects to open a three-storey office building that now is being finished and is partly leased to health-care practitioners.

When the first residential phase is fully sold, Pierce will start selling the second phase, also of two seven-storey buildings -- just north of the first phase.

All residential buildings, including four 24-storey towers planned for the centre of the site surrounding a lake, will be clad in metal, stone and brick with wood accents and "a higher percentage of glass than people in Edmonton are used to," Pierce says.

With energy-efficient glass, low-flush toilets, retained storm water and recycled demolition materials from Heritage Mall, Pierce expects the development to earn LEEDS silver certification for environmental responsibility.

Century Park is designed by architects James Cheng of Vancouver and Rick Arndt of Edmonton. It is owned by Westbank Projects Corp. of Vancouver and Procura Real Estate Services of Calgary.

[email protected]

The Edmonton Journal 2006
    www.decl.org

Yay!

This is an amazing infill project. I'm looking forward to checking out the sales centre.

What I am looking forward to is the design.....it's about time Edmonton raises the bar for architecture. To those local architects who don't know, please take note...

This line says it all...

All residential buildings, including four 24-storey towers planned for the centre of the site surrounding a lake, will be clad in metal, stone and brick with wood accents and "a higher percentage of glass than people in Edmonton are used to," Pierce says.

^ I noticed that too, I hope it makes other developers use alternatives to stucco and vinyl siding, even if the alternatives cost more.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Continued Contributor

Good news indeed, the more people living there by LRT expansion opening time the better.

Now we just need an announcement or two about down town!
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

This is definitely going to be a great development for Edmonton. About time we have something other than square, terra cotta stucco highrise condos. Let's hope they can bring the same urban village concept downtown!!

Suites go on sale tomorrow at 10 AM, but people are already camped outside!!

Wow. Those suites sold out in 6 hours!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Not too surprising. As ChrisD rightly points out - local developers take NOTE!!!

Default Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB
    Now we just need an announcement or two about down town!
    Fiurst we need to realize Mandels vision of the new LRT running from Central Station to MacEwan and then back of 105th Avenue to and through to NAIT. Lets make sure that site has the LRT connections as well...

grish

First? How are they depended on each other? Why not get them done together along some other developments.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I would hope LRT is not first, given the snail pace of advancement past the sLRT. As much as I don't like the wBRT line, its proposed demise has yet to be replaced with an LRT vision, and that frightens me.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I saw the sale on the news. The sales manager mentioned that he was thinking of raising the prices that day because of the demand but decided to wait until the next day. Definately underestimated the demand and what they could've got for those condos.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH
    I saw the sale on the news. The sales manager mentioned that he was thinking of raising the prices that day because of the demand but decided to wait until the next day. Definately underestimated the demand and what they could've got for those condos.

hindsight is always 20/20...if i were CP i would sell things at their pricing and just sell it all out...with the exception of maybe one super highend tower.
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I'd have to agree. Sell this thing out and get it built - you've set a precedent and your next project...well...your reputation will be money in the bank.

i just with westbank and procura bought up east jasper and did it up right
    www.decl.org

Default Century park - Regent release

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your interest in Century Park Club and Residences. We are very excited about REGENT, phase II of this amazing development.

Homes at REGENT will be available for exclusive VIP Previews from November 11-17 from 12-6pm. Only our VIP buyers will have the opportunity to see the brand new floorplans and finishes for these seven days.

Due to overwhelming response and to avoid line-ups, we have arranged a CALL-IN APPOINTMENT system to take care of our clients in a convenient and orderly manner.

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

NOVEMBER 11-17

EXCLUSIVE VIP PREVIEWS

OPEN DAILY FROM 12PM-6PM

NOVEMBER 18-24

PUBLIC PREVIEWS WITH MODEL UNVEILING

FOR REGENT AT CENTURY PARK CLUB AND RESIDENCES

AT 2395 - 111 STREET NW, EDMONTON

OPEN DAILY 12PM-9PM

NOVEMBER 22

CALL 780-410-1738

TO BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT FOR NOVEMBER 25

PHONE LINES OPEN AT 9AM SHARP

IF THE PHONES LINES ARE BUSY PLEASE KEEP TRYING

WE WILL HAVE SEVERAL TELEPHONE OPERATORS TO HANDLE YOUR CALLS

NOVEMBER 25

WE RECOMMEND COMING 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT

ONE PIECE OF PHOTO IDENTIFICATION AND A DEPOSIT CHEQUE WILL BE REQUIRED

AT THE TIME OF WRITING YOUR CONTRACT

PLEASE DO NOT WORRY - THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF CONTRACT WRITERS

TO STREAMLINE YOUR EXPERIENCE

Visit our Presentation Centre today - located at 2395 - 111 Street NW, Edmonton. For more information, please call our sales team at 780-410-1738 or visit online at centurypark.ca.

See you soon,

Century Park Club and Residences

Sales Team

*140 units will be offered for sale. The developers reserve the right to offer a limited number of suites to consultants and others who helped move this project forward.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they arent wasting any time.
    www.decl.org

This must be another of the "small" towers, given the tremendous demand I would love to see them pre-selling the large blocks as well.

This must be another of the "small" towers, given the tremendous demand I would love to see them pre-selling the large blocks as well.

this is almost identical to the 1st building and is directly north...once the lowrise is sold, the high rise selling begins.
    www.decl.org

I can say that the drawings for all buildings are underway. RJC is doing the Structural design for the ENTIRE project. They are busy with that and many other projects including MacEwan's RHLC building.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD
    I can say that the drawings for all buildings are underway. RJC is doing the Structural design for the ENTIRE project. They are busy with that and many other projects including MacEwan's RHLC building.
    excellent...cant wait to see the towers...CANT WAIT
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Does anyone know how much the units in the towers will go for?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB09
    Does anyone know how much the units in the towers will go for?

no pricing released
    www.decl.org

But count on those prices being higher than what was for the first round of sales.

When do they expect to start construction - spring 2007?

i believe so.

As for tower pricing...i have a feeling there will be a mix of small and large units...so i wouldnt be suprised if we see some 550sqft 1bdrms for 250,000 or so.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

i believe so.

As for tower pricing...i have a feeling there will be a mix of small and large units...so i wouldnt be suprised if we see some 550sqft 1bdrms for 250,000 or so.
    I hope that's the case for the towers. I might look into moving into them when they start going on sale.

Century Park buyers get ready to dial in to developer's hotline
    Ron Chalmers, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2006
    EDMONTON - Buyers at Century Park Phase Two won't need sleeping bags, but speed dialers might help.

The high-end condo project at the former Heritage Mall site sold out Phase One on a single day in September after 100 buyers lined up overnight.

Phase Two sales open Saturday, Nov. 25, by appointment. Prospective buyers must phone 410-1738 for appointments -- but not before Wednesday at 9 a.m.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
    Font: ****The first callers can book the first appointments -- and have first choice of the 140 available one- and two-bedroom units.

In cold weather, nobody wants another overnight lineup. "We felt this would be more accommodating," says Taylor Stokes, sales representative for Vancouver-based Rennie Marketing Systems, which is handling the sale.

"We will have quite a few phone lines open," she says. "We would encourage people to keep trying if it is busy."

Units will range from 775 to 1,525 square feet. Prices have not been set, but will start "in the low 300,000s," Stokes says.

The presentation centre at the former mall site, north and east of 23rd Avenue and 111th Street, has reopened with models of the eight-storey Phase Two buildings. They are similar to the planned Phase One with the addition of a pond and fountain between the two buildings.

The show suite also is similar with slight changes in kitchen cabinets.

Up to 300 people per day have visited the presentation centre says Stokes, who hopes for another one-day sellout.

Phase Two will be built north of Phase One on the west side of 109th Street. It will total 204 units with 64 units "held for the developers' family and friends, and consultants," Stokes says.

Completion is planned for the fall of 2008.

Century Park is a joint venture of Procura Real Estate Services of Calgary and Westbank Projects of Vancouver. Lead architect is James Cheng of Vancouver.

[email protected]

The Edmonton Journal 2006
    www.decl.org

Default Century Park getting set to launch next phase of development

Tower construction this summer
    Century Park getting set to launch next phase of development
    Ron Chalmers, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Saturday, February 24, 2007

EDMONTON - Century Park will proceed with pre-sales of its first tower this summer although some of its Phase Two units remain unsold.

"We are working on launching a 15 to 18 storey tower in May or June," Century Park president George Schluessel said Friday.

If sales go well and permits are received promptly, construction could start in late summer, he said.
    Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
    Font:

Century Park, north and east of 23rd Avenue and 111th Street, is planned to eventually hold 2,800 residential units in 21 buildings on the 17-hectare site formerly occupied by Heritage Mall.

Phase One sold out in one September day after 100 buyers lined up overnight.

Most units in Phase Two sold on the first sale day, Nov. 25.

After that initial flurry, however, "there was a low period until January," Schluessel said from his Calgary office.

"Things are looking up in Calgary and I think the same will happen in Edmonton," he said.

The Phase One and Phase Two buildings both will be seven storeys.

Schluessel expects the tower units to sell well despite the pause in Phase Two sales because they attract different buyers. "We have had a lot of interest in those suites."

Negotiations are continuing with the City of Edmonton for an enhanced design of the park-and-ride transit facility to be built beside Century Park, Schluessel said.

Schluessel is CEO of Procura Real Estate Services -- a partner in Century Park with Westbank Projects of Vancouver. Procura also owns an Edmonton office building that is being renovated at 10830 Jasper Avenue.

[email protected]

The Edmonton Journal 2007
    www.decl.org

Default The old Heritage Mall

I drove by the east side of the site yesterday. It's easy to see through to the construction site. I saw the sections of at least one tower crane laying there, ready to be assembled, and I saw that the excavation for the towers was getting quite large. The old mall was now just a few piles of bricks and debris.

All in all, this is one huge project which will be in the construction phase for quite some time.

Have any pictures to share?

It is pretty weird to be driving down 111 street and to be able to see the houses on the side of saddleback road on the other side of the mall....Won't be like that for long though

C2E SME

I wonder when the sear part of the mall and the eatons part of the mall will be torn down to finalize all the demolision.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

Just a bit of an update, I passed by the Heritage mall site and demolision is really progressing. They have started tearing down the sears part of the mall and most of the parkade that was between sears and eatons has been demolished. I took some pictures and will post them up as soon as I can.

Default Century Park | Multiple Residential Building | Under Constuction

I have a new camera and am not yet used to it, so apologies for the quality.

Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E SME

Hey the pictures look good

i cant wait to see 2-3 cranes up there...maybe more at once.
    www.decl.org

Does anybody know how sales are going on that tower they have been advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor
    Does anybody know how sales are going on that tower they have been advertising?

Bad...not a single unit sold.

but then again they arent for sale yet:>

late summer/early fall i was told.
    www.decl.org

thanks

I'd buy there if I could afford it...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Well, it is only a 100 year mortgage....leave it to your kids to pay off!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Well, it is only a 100 year mortgage....leave it to your kids to pay off!
    And if you do not have kids you are really laughing!

Default Heritage Mall Torn Down

I really like the Century Park project and even wish they could have kept the original concept with the 30 plus floor buildings. I am however amazed that they are not using any part of the Heritage Mall. That mall wasn't very old so that is a lot of parking and building structures that are being torn down. I suppose they are the experts and it must have cost too much to use the existing structure, but not even the parking areas are being used. It probably didn't work for their plans, but it must be terribly expensive to tear it all down and haul it away.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Default Re: Heritage Mall Torn Down

Quote Originally Posted by Voice
    I really like the Century Park project and even wish they could have kept the original concept with the 30 plus floor buildings. I am however amazed that they are not using any part of the Heritage Mall. That mall wasn't very old so that is a lot of parking and building structures that are being torn down. I suppose they are the experts and it must have cost too much to use the existing structure, but not even the parking areas are being used. It probably didn't work for their plans, but it must be terribly expensive to tear it all down and haul it away.
    Voice,
    The existing structures were about 30 years old. Although that doesn't sound "old", there was not actually that much "structure" there to begin with. Those malls were not much more than large volume warehouse type structures with lots of lipstick and gloss. The mechanical and electrical systems are not terribly adaptable and were not terribly efficient either. After 30 years, the parking areas - like some of our roads - have also outlived their lifespan. Even with decent maintenance to the surface, most of the structural gravel base had likely long disappeared into the clay below...

Default Re: Heritage Mall Torn Down

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice
    Voice,
    The existing structures were about 30 years old. Although that doesn't sound "old", there was not actually that much "structure" there to begin with. Those malls were not much more than large volume warehouse type structures with lots of lipstick and gloss. The mechanical and electrical systems are not terribly adaptable and were not terribly efficient either. After 30 years, the parking areas - like some of our roads - have also outlived their lifespan. Even with decent maintenance to the surface, most of the structural gravel base had likely long disappeared into the clay below...
    The mall was in pretty good shape when demolishing began. Electrical system was modern and in working order, mechanical was still in use.
    Overall it was easily a usable building, however it didn't fit the model of the development. Originally part of the mall was going to be retained.

im so happy none of it was....
    www.decl.org

Default Out with the old, in with the new.

Don't get me wrong; the Heritage Mall was not exactly a heritage building. I won't miss it. I just find it surprising that nothing could be used. Hopefully Century Park will last much longer.

C2E SME

Well with the LRT being there and this project being mainly residential I think century park will be around for quite a long time.

Default Condo developer offers to build art gallery

Condo developer offers to build art gallery
    Proposes $8-million gallery in return for being allowed to build taller buildings

Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: July 18, 2007 5:12 pm

The developer of the giant Century Park project is offering an unusual carrot to win approval of higher condo towers - an art gallery.

ProCura Real Estate Services of Calgary proposes building the $8-million art galley, which would be run by the University of Alberta for art displays and community art classes, and providing a $2-million endowment to fund its operation.

In return, it wants to raise the four tallest towers in the Century Park plan from 24 to 29 storeys. Several smaller buildings would also get extra floors.

The proposal would restore the original height of the tall towers, which were cut back to 24 storeys in face of community opposition. Communities near the giant project at 111th Street and 23rd Avenue opposed any towers higher than 16 storeys.

News that the developer is seeking a zoning change to go to 29 storeys got an immediate rejection from Sandra Crawford, president of the Southwest Area Council which represents communities near Century Park.

The first two eight-storey condo buildings on the huge 17-hectare Century Park site are currently being built, and are all sold out. Condos in the first building were sold in one day last fall, with prospective buyers standing in line for hours to buy one.

The proposed zoning change to allow the 29-storey towers will likely go to council sometime this fall.

[email protected]

-30-

I am not sure what I think about this proposal...it is innovative and great way to bargin!

Actually I live within walking distance of Century Park and I have no problems with the height of the towers being raised. I do like the art gallery idea, especially the connection with the University of Alberta. Our University is quickly becoming a world class institution, and offers such as this can only add to its appeal. I'll be interested to see the con arguments.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Hmm. Where have I heard this before?

Personally, I love the idea.

Nice touch. I hope it flies. Procura may be from Cowville, but I like them. One question though: why stop at 29?

I have to admit though, when I saw the headline on the article I instantly hoped it would be Gene Dub offering a home for the Contemporary Art Gallery of Edmonton on the first floor of the MacLeod Building. I still hope that finds a way to happen.

people wont even notice 24-29 floors...i love the idea and hope the city is progressive enough to think about passing it.
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Condo developer offers to build art gallery

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    News that the developer is seeking a zoning change to go to 29 storeys got an immediate rejection from Sandra Crawford, president of the Southwest Area Council which represents communities near Century Park.

-30-
    Gee, and in another article Kerry was blasted for saying we're anti-development, and yet when a developer raises something a mere 5 floors, the knee jerk reaction immediately flares up. Yeah, like this area will even NOTICE 5 floors....give me a break. These towers are in the middle of the development, shadow concerns are non-existent outside the footprint of the whole development, and the additional traffic will be miniscule given the fact that this was a...MALL WITH A FREAKING WAL-MART at one time...

Nope, this is simply another "I hate towers" reflex reaction. Art gallery or no, just build it already.

I would have rather seen this art gallery or other unique proposals come out in the first place, not used as a carrot/stick thing later.

grish

5 extra floors on top of high rises would add about 16 residences per building:
    top two floors are usually pent houses--one or two per floor followed by luxury condos at about 4 per floor.

Add this to 5 or 6 buildings we get 72 residences at, on average, 3 people per resience=216 people. What is the proposed amount of people for all of Century Park? What's the percentage increase?

I doubt that 216 extra people (and 216 extra vehicles) would create so many problems that it would be unbearable for other local residents.

The one issue I have with the proposal is--wish the art gallery was a little bit closer to the centre of the city. I hope this gets the approval and becomes a precedent for other future development in the city.

C2E SME

The idea sounds quite interesting. I'm curious where the art gallery would be situated. I agree too with many here saying that 5 extra floors aren't going to look that much different. It is were 15 or 20 floors then yeah it might be something to complain about.

Hopefully that idea will go through.

As for extra tall condo towers, I'm all for them but for now I'd like to see the downtown core skyline be filled and then look further outwards once we run out of room there.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11
    As for extra tall condo towers, I'm all for them but for now I'd like to see the downtown core skyline be filled and then look further outwards once we run out of room there.
    20 some-odd floors is extra tall???

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murman

20 some-odd floors is extra tall???
    I think he meant 20+ EXTRA floors....making this example 44 floors...

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

So they want to increase the height of the buildings by 20%.. interesting way to suggest it.

Unless the increases severely shadow the neighbouring community I'd say do it.
    Adding density by adding a couple of floors instead of more buildings seems to be just a bit easier
    With a future LRT stop I think more the better.

As for the carrot, I thought we were already building an art gallery by city hall. I don't understand why we need a 2nd gallery in construction.

Default Build it higher

I think it's a great idea! 24 floors would leave it looking like any other group of apartments from a distance but 29 or more would make it stand out. Perhaps, being so far south, at 29 floors it will even be visible from the Int'l Airport. Wouldn't that be an unexpected benefit? People would no longer arrive at the airport and wonder where the City is. They would see some towers off in the distance and it would make it seem closer. I do wish they would go to 32 or 33 floors but I know that the locals will not accept that much change. I just hope that the local residents don't succeed in stopping the developer from making this project more exciting and a real asset to the whole City.

I'm moving this thread to Buidings and Architecture.

I'm moving this thread to Buidings and Architecture.
    Thanks, ThomasH!

I thought it was an interesting quote from Alderman Bryan Anderson about this proposal. He asked why doesn't the Library board build the Library and the University build the Art Gallery.
    It appears Anderson thinks the library and the University get their funding from the money fairy.
    Whan I hear statements like these, I wish I lived in Edmonton so I could vote.

C2E SME

When I was referring to extra tall, yup I meant 35 to 40+ storey tall buildings. When you have buildings of that size away from other buildings similar to that the building just looks funny and out of place. If it is in the downtown area it fits in.

City Hall would do well to avoid a mish-mash of on-the-fly policies.

They have a development policy and a development process. It resulted in towers of a certain height. A bribe (or olive branch if you prefer) of an art gallery should not change the equation for what is acceptable on that site. And if a taller tower is acceptable for that site now, then why wasn't it before? The developer should not have to bribe the city with goodies, nor should they be allowed to.

To the contrary, I want developers to give us a lot of amenities in negotiations. I want those bribes, so long as they're giving them to the entire city.

Hopefully this won't be a can of worms. I'd hate to see something like this eventually leading to developers cutting dubious deals with the city: "I'll provide 100% funding of a full RAM expansion if you let me build a Wal-Mart on the Rossdale Plant site"

Now we're comparing Century Park to a Wal-Mart on Rossdale?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy
    So they want to increase the height of the buildings by 20%.. interesting way to suggest it.

Unless the increases severely shadow the neighbouring community I'd say do it.
    Adding density by adding a couple of floors instead of more buildings seems to be just a bit easier
    With a future LRT stop I think more the better.

As for the carrot, I thought we were already building an art gallery by city hall. I don't understand why we need a 2nd gallery in construction.
    We have some good art galleries in the city, but we are nowhere near the point where the cultural need is saturated. Actually they're kindof addictive, and more galleries will stimulate more need. And besides, this gallery probably wouldn't be comparable to the AGA at all.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'm neither for or against the art gallery carrot. I've never been to an art gallery so my thoughts were why build two when one will do.
    Myself I remember someone talking about a 2nd museum and thought that would be far better.

As for the carrot concept itself I think it has the potential, if handled correctly, to help the city.
    In this situation I think the 'considerations' the developer is asking for are quite reasonable and may not require a carrot.
    To me there is a big difference between offering to pay something to sweeten the pot than being required to pay because it'll never happen without a bribe. Not to mention it's the public that benefits and not an individual or small group of people.

I'd like to see a comparison between the current plan and the changes they'd like to make.
    Info like shadow, wind flow, parking, and view/view obstruction would be some of the comparative info I think would be good to have. In fact I wish they had this information available before the situation gets blown out of proportion with knee-jerk reactions.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast