Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself!

Welcome to C2E!

Addicted to C2E

Default Igniters

Hello , MY name is Paul (are we useing real names?)....I was born in Edmonton ,and grew up a mere 3 blocks east from the courthouse ( that broken pile of stained cement).I have never lived anywhere else,not even briefly and have had jobs that deal with the public for most of my working life .SO... I guess you could say I have had my ear to the grindstone of Edmontons past and future and always defend this city to the best of my abilities. Truthfully I miss the old look that Edmonton had when I was a child holding my grandparents hands on daily trips to the Woodwards food floor for a chocolate malt! my parents both working to make a better life for us and the city they live in .I am though looking forward to flying around in rocket cars and relaxing on moving sidewalks through neon lit tubes winding around glass and steel superstructures! ( it seems I may have to wait a little longer for that though)
    My grandfather worked for the city parks and rec/sanatation...and my grandmother make pastries for a few cafe's in the downtown area ( like the SILK HAT etc) their heart as Ukrainian Canadians was definatly downtown .
    Edmonton is my home and most likely always will be (as long as I can afford it lol)I am not a designer of buildings,or roadways and must put my faith in those more qualified,I am a singer / songwriter /antique collector/ salesman/that can be seen motoring around in my old 58 Pontiac ....My heart is also in Edmonton.

Smile

Hi! My name is Graziela,

I was born in the Azores but my parents immigrated to Edmonton when I was 5 months old. I have lived in Edmonton most of my life but my parents briefly moved back to Portugal in the 80's.

I now am living in Kentucky with my husband (from KY) and our 4 year old son (born in Edmonton). We have been living in KY since 2004 but I can't wait to move back to Edmonton. I have been back to Edmonton a few times since we've been in the US and I miss it terribly! Edmonton is one of the greatest places to live, I'm proud to be an Edmontonian!

This site is awesome! It helps keep people like me stay connected to Edmonton and the wonderful people that live in it.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gmink View Post
    This site is awesome! It helps keep people like me stay connected to Edmonton and the wonderful people that live in it.
    This was one of the original objectives of C2E. I'm glad to see it being used that way, and welcome
    Time to grow up.

First One is Always Free

I didn't even see this thread until now! Oops.

My name is Michelle and I was born and raised in Edmonton (except for a few years in Papua New Guinea and also up in the NWT). Currently I live in Melbourne with my husband, a native Melburnian, but we're moving back to Edmonton around mid-next year. Why, you ask? Because we love Edmonton, that's why! My Aussie has really tried to get to know the city on our various trips back and he seems very much at home there.

Anyone who has ever been to Melbourne will agree that it's a spectacular city. The architecture is amazing and the general atmosphere of the city is very positive. Living here however has really helped to open my eyes and realise what aspects about Edmonton I love so much, and the potential that Edmonton has to be a great city.

I am so happy to have come across this community..

That's a pretty nice resume of places you have lived... I look forward to seeing you put those experiences towards making Edmonton better
    Time to grow up.

Hi, my name is Angela (not a man as my handle would suggest) and I live in greater edmonton area.
    I've been lurking on these boards for the better part of two years and have finally decided to join.
    I'm mostly a sahm but work (very) part time with Norwex Enviro Products. We have two boys, 3.5 and one. My husband is in the oil business.

This is a great community you have here.

Default Intros all 'round

Hi.
    My name is Bill. I was born in the Royal Alex', raised in Highland Courts (when my Mom worked at the old City Hall) and lived in (and arround) "the Park".

I am since retired but find this community facinating in its shared recollection and commitment. I hope I can add to it.
    Last edited by Crash; 01-04-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    As Always

Addicted to C2E

Hi my name is Jasper and Im an alcoholic... OOPS! wrong forum!

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Hi.
    My name is Bill. I was born in the Royal Alex', raised in Highland Courts (when my Mom worked at the old City Hall) and lived in (and arround) "the Park".

I am since retired but find this community facinating in its shared recollection and commitment. I hope I can add to it.
    I went to school right accross the street from HIGHLAND COURTS! ....What a place!

Quote Originally Posted by freakiefrog View Post
    HI, my name is Michelle. My family, husband, daughter 4 and son 19 will be moving to the city of champions. Right now we are looking for a house to buy. I am just not too sure of the areas. If anyone of you out there can let me know where the nice clean/quiet family areas are that would be absolutely fantabulous.

Thanks in advance
    Posts have been moved here instead:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=6708

You will likely get more responsees there. Welcome to C2E btw.
    Time to grow up.

Default Im Brian

Hello all im Brian and iv lived in the Edmonton area my whole life. Iv lived in surrounding towns such as Gibbons, Stony Plain, and Devon. All of which are beautiful places. Great to be a part of this and I hope to be able to contribute .

First One is Always Free

Hi, I'm Keshia. I'm 18, graduated from high school last year, and I've lived in Edmonton for 11 or 12 years now. I plan to stay for college (probably MacEwan, unless I decide to go to University instead at some point), but after that, I'm going to go wherever my intense wanderlust takes me.

Hi, everyone.

My name is Jeff and I'm fairly new to Edmonton but my wife has lived here for the better part of her life.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. Looks like a great forum.

I'll be the first to roll out the welcome mat to you three

Enjoy your stay... just out of curiosity, how did you all find us?
    Time to grow up.

Hi, Ceres. Thanks for the welcome.

To answer your question I found the C2E site by doing a google search for Edmonton Forum. This was the first site that came up. After doing some browsing I decided to register. Looks to be a great place to keep up to date with happenings in the city.

Out of curiosity, is this site run by private individuals or does it have ties with the city?

from the bottom of this page http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/page.asp?page=748

Even though this online community is anchored by Edmonton's most prominent promotional organizations, it is important to note that this site (and the C2E community in general) is an independent entity... with an independent voice.
    C2E is maintained by online community volunteers from around the world, especially a group of dedicated Edmonton volunteers led by Richard Skermer. C2E volunteers generously volunteer their time and talents on this labour-of-love project because they believe that discussion and collaboration are vital to creating a better Edmonton.
    The C2E website was created with great pride in Edmonton by Pivit -- one of Alberta's outstanding design and web development companies.
    Funding and other assistance for this unprecedented project was made possible by Edmonton Economic Development Corp.
    It takes many committed people to raise a great community -- and everyone's individual contributions have helped to make our online community innovative and compelling.
    Partners
    It's not easy going where no community has gone before... unless you have committed partners that share the vision of this innovative online community.
    After considering this online community concept for many years, in response to the never-ending global challenge of promoting and defending Alberta's capital region, Edmonton Economic Development Corp. (EEDC) formed partnerships with the region’s leading organizations in the promotion of Edmonton. More partnerships are on the horizon.
    EEDC would like to thank Edmonton Airports, the City of Edmonton, the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce and the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations for believing in the potential of this unprecedented project and committing to its ongoing success.

Hi!

I'm Andrea, from - you guessed it: Edmonton. I've bumped into Connect 2 Edmonton a few times and decided it was time to plug in - there's an impressive amount of activity on here!

I have a degree in Human Ecology from the U of A and have worked with a variety of non-profits like Action for Healthy Communities, Bissel Centre, and Cityfarm Edmonton in the past. Now I work from home fostering an online community called Raising Spaces, which aims to support Canadians in building and renovating green.

My favourite season is Spring, and I love learning about people and how change happens. Looking forward to chatting with you....

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

WELCOME Andrea!
    Onward and upward

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm Jim, I've been living here in Edmonton since 1978, origionaly from Vancouver.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Welcome to our humble community...
    Onward and upward

Good Morning

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director, Alberta Aviation Museum, Edmonton Aviation Heritage Society

In Edmonton since 1979
    Extremely active in the community
    Mildly red neck, but open minded
    Devoted to family, community and history

Referred by a friend (Zag) that thought I would be interested in seeing the positive side of the forum and suggested I avoid airport topics...but I likely can't.

Brought the first races to City Centre Airport in 1996, been active on many fronts since 1979 from racing to schools to Aviation and Aviation History.

Family history in Aviation goes back to 1939
    My first pilots license when I was 14
    My 16 year old daughter is just finishing her first pilots license

Hobbies....when I am not in the museum, experimental engines, experimental aircraft
    Heritage advocacy, family every chance I can.

Look forward to hearing thoughts and opinions on many fronts...particularly people's view of Heritage.

Tom

First One is Always Free

Hi--learning how to do this and learning the vocabulary. I hope to be able to participate and contribute. Looks like fun!

First One is Always Free

Hi all~

I moved to Edmonton around a year ago from Ontario... My significant other has been living in Edmonton area all his life. I do enjoy Edmonton a lot! One thing I have noticed is that Edmontonians are generally very nice and helpful to newcomers like me, and I love that the city is so easy to navigate.

Can't wait to learn more about the city

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Welcome. I am glad you are enjoying this great city.

Default Salut

Not my first post, but I should say something here.

My name is Tiran. And I am a geek.

<pause>

Just waiting for the "Hi Tiran" chorus I guess.

I'm new in Edmonton after 10 yrs in Calgary. Gay, single, just me and my cat. Born in Calgary, raised around Medicine Hat, a year in France, few years in Red Deer, then Calgary. I've been in Edmonton just over a year.

I currently have two jobs and am counting the days until I can quit the second one. One with the Fed gov't and one with Shaw.

I go to the YMCA downtown 5 days a week, trying to get in shape before I go to Mexico in November.

I love to cook, but I do not follow the Gospel of Alton Brown. And as much as I would like to be a foodie, I will eat damn near anything. Almost.
    No, actually anything is accurate.

My french is incredibly rusty and should be ignored for the most part.

I am not an artist, although I dabble in crafts occasionally and used to do some photography. As a writer I am a spin doctor by training (style wise think journalist with better prose and a thesaurus) and often used to complain in class that "If I wanted to make stuff up I would be in a creative writing course" when asked to invent background information to do an assignment.

I tend to lurk more than post, but who knows what happens when I get bored. The last time I did I made 11 jars of salsa and 10 lbs of bison jerky.
    and I am not a cranky as this might make me sound. Although I do subscribe to the Edda Burber school of though "Gladly make fools suffer" rather than the phase's more common order of words.

Default Welcome

Hi Tiran!

I'll lead the cheer. Hey, didn't I just connect with you -- like in person -- at lunch today!

Glad you joined the discssion and the forum. Welcome to Edmonton as well! Thank you for introducing yourself.

Enjoy!

Debra W. (Back only for a short but good time.)

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    Hey, didn't I just connect with you -- like in person -- at lunch today!
    Yes. Yes you did.

Welcome Tiran Geeks rule the world and make lots of money (for themselves or for others), and I am proud to say I am pretty geeky myself. Lets just say I enjoy lurking as much as anyone and I do so on many other forums, but for some reason I have a reasonable post count here.

Welcome back Debra (for the short while you are here :P)
    Time to grow up.

Hey, what's with the drive-by posting!

Default Hello

Hi,

We are basically from India,currently in U.A.E. and planning to move to Emdonton by Mid-September...
    Myself,husband and a son of 5years will be moving together for good from UAE..From the extreme hot weather here we are coming to the extreme cold..

Came across this site while surfing and thought it good and having lot of informative stuff regarding the place and the living conditions.Keep up the good work.

Bye...

Welcome to C2E, and soon, to Edmonton. The cold really isn't that bad, except on occasion, and the weather in the summer is great - much better than the sweltering heat in many locations. Edmonton is a very green city (as in trees and parks), and I think you'll like it.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

First One is Always Free

Smile

Hi all! Just thought I'd pop in and let you know I think this is a fab forum - made me feel even more excited about moving to Edmonton in 2 WEEKS!! Just a little excited!! I can't wait to explore - nothing like exploring a new city, getting a feel of a place.. I've got 2 children so I'm hoping I'll be able to "use" them to make new friends!

Can't wait for the winter!! Love to ski, love to build snowmen (my soon to be 2 year old daughter will go WILD when she sees snow for the first time!!), love the fresh air!

I'm sure the following questions are not in the right place - but hoping I'll be forgiven seeing as I'm a newbie and all

Anyone know of some mother and baby groups? I have a 2 yr old daughter and a 5 month old son..

Anyone know of a running club or two for an aspiring runner? (Actually, I've never run before, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!)

Anyone know of a brazilian percussion samba band that I can join??? Please??? Going to miss my Anvil Street Drummers like crazy!!

Many thanks!
    Definatley a cookies n' cream moment

Welcome aboard. Don't know a brazilian band off hand, might want to post the question to ask edmonton forum. But there is a caperia studio on Jasper and the Brazilian Cultural Society is at http://www.brased.org/.

Contact the Running Room about groups as well as books and gear. Very community focused.

Hi Noosha,

Welcome to Edmonton (soon!) and the Connect2Edmonton community.

Check out www.movetoedmonton.com for general information.

The running room as has been mentioned by Tiran www.runningroom.com

Any other questions that you may have just post them in the Ask Ed section on the forum so that more people can respond!

Good luck and welcome!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

BRAzilian Society of Edmonton
    http://brased.org/

Capoeira Academy
    http://www.capoeiraedmonton.ca/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

My name is Brendan. I lurk on here once in a while, but a recent post about the Quarters got me excited enough to register! I read all the newbie rules after, and then I came across this, so I seem to be going about C2E totally backwards.

Anyhow, about me:

Starting from now backwards...

I am a condo owner committed to this lazy lifestyle (downtown in Oliver)! I have been living downtown for almost 10 years now. Saying you've done anything "for almost 10 years" is pretty scary to me, really.

I am an electrician apprentice. I work at the Shell Scotford site right now. For 4 years, I was a government office worker. I worked in Human Resources. I'm not sure what that means either.

I am enrolled for 2nd Period training at NAIT for the school portion of my apprenticeship. Before that, I went to school at the U of L's Edmonton campus, where I graduated with a business degree (HR major). I transferred there from Grant MacEwan College.

I've had a bunch of part time jobs, in order of newness: Eastbound Eatery, PS/AV, Bar Wild, Statistics Canada, Liquor Depot, HMV, Nexustribe, Sherwood Park Bottle Depot, Kastelen's Sausages, and dishwasher at the Legion in the Park.

I met some of the coolest people in those jobs.

I grew up in Sherwood Park. That means, as you all know, that I am crunker than anyone.

Cool.

Welcome Brendan!

First One is Always Free

Talking Thank You!

Tiran, DebraW and Sonic Death Monkey,

Wow!! Thank you so much - can't tell you how exciting it is to have a drumming group just the same as at home in Edmonton - one thing I was really, really going to miss! I'm absolutely made up!

I'd had a good look on the net but just couldn't find the Capoeira Academy with their Friday sessions - thanks a million!

Well, I look forward to seeing you all on the forum..
    Definatley a cookies n' cream moment

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I saw the Capoeira Academy people performing in the Cariwest parade. They're damn cool to watch.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Hi there,

I have lived in Edmonton all my life. I think the city is beautiful with its river valleys and rich arts scene and friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptown girl View Post
    Hi there,

I have lived in Edmonton all my life. I think the city is beautiful with its river valleys and rich arts scene and friendly people.
    Hi back!

I have not lived in Edmonton all my life but I agree with all your comments!

Welcome!

First One is Always Free

Hi everyone,

I just joined, mostly because I wanted to post a reply to a thread - can't resist expressing my opinion, something you will all most likely learn soon enough!
    I have lived in Edmonton for about 12 years now, previously in Regina for about 11 years, and previously to that in a large city in Romania. Although I've lived here for a long time and feel at home in Edmonton, I've never felt I knew the city or what's going on as much as I would like. I think there is a lot I am not getting out of this city yet. I found this forum while surfing - some great threads - and though it might be fun to contribut the odd thing, and to ask all you knowledgeable people questions!
    I am married to a great guy and have an adorable 2 year old son, and two cute black fluffy cats. I don't have much time, since I also work full time, but I do manage to goof off on the web more often than not. I have a variety of interests, ranging from politics, history, architecture, health and nutrition, science and medicine, interior design, fashion, art, classical music, jazz, etc. I always say that I could fill a lifetime with just one of my interests! I enjoy reading, watching good TV and movies (I am a sci-fi fan in particular) fabulous food (served to me, thank you very much!), stimulating conversations, and beautiful surroundings. And of couse, I spend too much time on the computer! Anyways, I look forward to chatting with you all.
    Last edited by Transplant; 22-08-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I am a spelling nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Transplant View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just joined, mostly because I wanted to post a reply to a thread - can't resist expressing my opinion, something you will all most likely learn soon enough!
    I have lived in Edmonton for about 12 years now, previously in Regina for about 11 years, and previously to that in a large city in Romania. Although I've lived here for a long time and feel at home in Edmonton, I've never felt I knew the city or what's going on as much as I would like. I think there is a lot I am not getting out of this city yet. I found this forum while surfing - some great threads - and though it might be fun to contribut the odd thing, and to ask all you knowledgeable people questions!
    I am married to a great guy and have an adorable 2 year old son, and two cute black fluffy cats. I don't have much time, since I also work full time, but I do manage to goof off on the web more often than not. I have a variety of interests, ranging from politics, history, architecture, health and nutrition, science and medicine, interior design, fashion, art, classical music, jazz, etc. I always say that I could fill a lifetime with just one of my interests! I enjoy reading, watching good TV and movies (I am a sci-fi fan in particular) fabulous food (served to me, thank you very much!), stimulating conversations, and beautiful surroundings. And of couse, I spend too much time on the computer! Anyways, I look forward to chatting with you all.
    WOW! Welcome and we look forward to you contributing to C2E!

Cheers,

First One is Always Free

Hi.

I just moved here from Vancouver. I hope to learn a lot about Edmonton.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TELUSTeamMember View Post
    Hi.

I just moved here from Vancouver. I hope to learn a lot about Edmonton.
    Welcome bud... I'm assuming you're working with Telus (the name's a dead giveaway). I hope you really enjoy the city.

First One is Always Free

Yes. I transferred here recently due to job changes. I've been lurking for awhile, and when I found out that several on my floor do lurk, I thought I'd join up. They can now complain about my "productivity".

^ Welcome indeed to Edmonton and to the C2E community. You are in the right place to learn more about Edmonton.

Cheers,

First One is Always Free

I was wondering when I would be getting the DebraW welcome. Can I ask you what it is like to create and own this forum? It must be a lot of work. I am not sure how to use the PM function, but try it and we can chat there.

^ I did not create nor do I own this forum. C2E is an online forum where participation is encouraged and lively discussions soon follow.

I am simply an Edmontonian who is passionate about my city who loves to share the knowledge and connections I have with others.

For background information on connect2edmonton check out "About C2E" and the "Archives".

^ Welcome TELUSTeamMember.

Partially Addicted to C2E

OK I'm actually a little embarrassed that I only just noticed this thread after 2 years

Anyway, my real name is actually Shauna - Jess is a really old nickname - long story. Born in Edmonton grew up in Calgary and St. Albert, then did the undergrad at UofA.

Recently decided to leave suburbia and move downtown and absolutely love it!

I love travelling, but in atypical style... I visit strange and exotic place on my bike. This year it will be West Africa! Also love food - my allergies and I have had a lifelong hate relationship, i've kept the makers of epi-pen in business... Also a bit of a sports nut - I guess that keeps the food thing in balance - I play hockey, soccer, run marathons and do yoga.

I love my job and have a really cool title: Sigma Black Belt - always raises a few eyebrows lol!

I have been enjoying this forum the last few years and am ecstatic to see how fast it has grown and how passionate people feel about the city!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Jess; 29-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    OK I'm actually a little embarrassed that I only just noticed this thread after 2 years

Anyway, my real name is actually Shauna - Jess is a really old nickname - long story. Born in Edmonton grew up in Calgary and St. Albert, then did the undergrad at UofA.

Recently decided to leave suburbia and move downtown and absolutely love it!

I love travelling, but in atypical style... I visit strange and exotic place on my bike. This year it will be West Africa! Also love food - my allergies and I have had a lifelong hate relationship, i've kept the makers of epi-pen in business... Also a bit of a sports nut - I guess that keeps the food thing in balance - I play hockey, soccer, run marathons and do yoga.

I love my job and have a really cool title: Sigma Black Belt - always raises a few eyebrows lol!

I have been enjoying this forum the last few years and am ecstatic to see how fast it has grown and how passionate people feel about the city!

Cheers!

Always better late than never!

I am fairly certain I know what a Sigma Black Belt is... Glad you are enjoying the forum too!

Here is a formal, official WELCOME!

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Hi,
    I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to join. Lived here most of my life and only realised the passion I have for Edmonton in last few years. I hope I will be able to contribute to this unique community.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiZiPop View Post
    Hi,
    I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to join. Lived here most of my life and only realised the passion I have for Edmonton in last few years. I hope I will be able to contribute to this unique community.
    Wonderful! Hope to "see" you contribute to our community too! Welcome.

Welcome Zizipop and Jess. Thanks for joining. We look forward to seeing your opinions on the Edmonton issues. Don't worry, most of us don't bite.

First One is Always Free

hi everyone ,im ami have jst moved to edmonton frm india a couple of mnths back.....am now looking for job as a interior designer...i have no canadian experience but have studied n worken in indai for more than 5 yrs in the same feild......if any on knows abt any job vacancies kindly ssuggest.... my strong points are contemporary design ,hard workand customer interaction thanks... i really like edmonton of what ive seen of it...its beautiful...coz i love nature so love the river valley trails

안녕하세요
    Hello,

My name is Xinyi (or better known as Jerry) and I'm currently a student under the commerce discipline at Macewan. Edmonton has been my hometown since the age of two and I have lived here for around nineteen years now. I have experienced teaching and attending university overseas and I would say that Edmonton holds many bittersweet emotions in regards to the constant issue of residing here or not. I recently started refining my interest in photography and I do enjoy writing to a certain degree. Other than that, I'd just like to mention that driving in the south end of Edmonton is terrible.

너무 반가웠습니다.
    It is a pleasure to be a member of this site.
    Success is solely the result of one's actions.
    www.xjshot.com

Hello, my name is Jim. I was born here back in 1948 and have lived my whole life in the Edmonton area except for two years in hell spent in Calagary (cowtown). I truly consider Edmonton to be God's Country although my total distain for the Edmonton Planning Department including Roadways, Transportation and Transit somewhat taint my vision.

Having visited a number of other cities, I must say that residents of our fine city tend to be kind and considerate and frequently look to help visitors find their way around unlike the place 300 km. to the south.

I have been married to the same terrific lady for almost 40 years.

I found out about this site while doing some personal research around rock and roll bands who called Edmonton their home back in the 60's and early 70's and found the I remember forum.

I do tend to offer my opinion and will try to convince others of the errors of theirs; however, in the end respect the right of each and every one of us to have their own opinion.

My handle is one of the two nicknames that my children call me "Ole Timer" and "Ole Geezer". I found this forum quite by accident and felt the need to introduce myself.

Thanks for the introductions all. I hope your stay here is pleasant
    Time to grow up.

Guess I should add to this. My name is Evan, lived in Edmonton since Grade 8 (that would have been 1991), went to the U of A for Mechanical Engineering and have worked for the same oilfield service company since i graduated. Born in Montreal and have also lived in Ottawa, Toronto, Petawawa (dead military give away there), Calgary, Rome, and Brussels.

I choose once in a lifetime trips, physical activity, and events that you will never forget. I'm a closet architect and interior designer and wannabe entrepreneur/developer.

I don't remember how I found out about this site, probably on a search for a new condo development.

Man, I can't believe I never saw this thread before.

My name is Vince and I was born in Holland. Came to Edmonton with my family in 1980 (non-stop from Holland on a CP Air DC-10). I was eight years old then. I still speak read and write Dutch (as I know some of the other members do too)

Since then have lived most of my years in the Edmonton area (St.Albert, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Devon, Winterburn, Edmonton) but have also lived in Calgary (6 months), Regina (2 years) and Toronto (5 years).

Spent the last 11 years as a computer programmer but got so sick of that industry. I quit my job and bought a daycare earlier this year and I'm loving being a small business owner.
    Last edited by IKAN104; 22-09-2008 at 09:38 AM.

^ Isn't it nice to discover something!

Welcome belatedly and thanks for introducing yourselves, Vince, Evan, Jim, Jerry and Ami!

never answered e-mail

My turn I guess.

My name is Jeremy, I've lived in Edmonton since graduating from the U of L in '99. For the last year-an-a-half I've owned a small advertising company, I'm active at the Chamber of Commerce and love finding out all sorts of interesting things about my adoptive home on C2E.
    Last edited by davidnorwoodink; 22-09-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Formatting

well i'm mike.. i don't have any credentials like the others who went to college or university.. id did however go to sait when i lived there for a short term but ya that didn't work out. railroad conducting isn't my thing.

however im born in Edmonton in 1984, grew up to the age of 12 in perryvale in Athabasca county. then moved to Willingdon east of Edmonton for 2 years then moved to kelowna bc where i decided to graduate 4 years. then Calgary at Sait 8 months. then back to athabasca where it traveled in Europe at that time 15months. then back south to high river for about 7 months then back to athabasca to help my sister launch her business. and a year after that i moved to Edmonton. I've been here just about a year and im 24 years old... need to settle down for a while and i like edmonton i think i'll be here for some time. by the way, i'm a road freak i just read about it for interest and then stubled upon this site a year back and deicded to join.

Hi, folks. Paul here. I am a diehard Edmontonian who has been lucky enough to have traveled the world. I did my graduate studies in the USA, and even had opportunity to work abroad. But I resisted the brain drain and decided to stay in Alberta. My wife and I live in St. Albert, and I work in Old Strathcona.

I'm a libertarian computer guy who likes motorcycles, arts and culture, reading, and playing with our three dogs. I work in the technology industry, and have a fondness for Earl's Place bellinis and Marco's Famous hamburgers.
    Last edited by reservoircat; 30-09-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: oops... I suppose I should spell check better
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

Very cool... a wealth of diverse experience from all of you. Welcome.

And yes, the Hawaiian Burger is the greatest
    Time to grow up.

Hi there. Name's Jay. I've lived around Edmonton for almost 30 years. I have a Bachelor of Commerce from the U of A majoring in accounting and information systems. Currently working for a major IT company. I both live and work downtown.

I'm kind of an urbanist (hence the handle). I find city development and why cities develop in their own way quite interesting.

I came across this forum when looking up discussions about the ECCA and lurked around for about a month or so. I found the people on here very interesting and wanted to be a part of such a wonderful group.

Hey everyone, I am just a newbie... My name is Amanda I am 22 and I am very ambitious and curious about the world around me. Currently a student in management, but also very interested in photography and this great city of ours. Most people I know complain about edmonton and compare it to every other city, but it is so much more to me than home...it is diverse and so colorful especially now...so I am looking forward to capturing that in photo and seeing all of you do that as well.

Thank you both for the introductions.

Amanda, try spreading the word to your fellow students about this place... we can always use more educated and young members. Hopefully the complainers can put energy towards changing things for the better?
    Time to grow up.

First One is Always Free

Good evening good folks of C2E!

I have been reviewing the website for some time and applaud all of the efforts made by the administrators and membership on this excellent forum. I am very interested in ideas to better our city and to improve the infrastructure, architecture etc. to make our city one of the best in North America. We have the talents, the money and the will, it just seems to be taking a long time to get major projects completed these days, oh well, that's the downside of boom I guess.

Hope to spend some quality time here reviewing posts on our city. Oh and if you find the time, I would be delighted if you would check out our small Edmonton forum as well.

Thank you very much.

Thanks for the compliments and welcome. Hope you keep contributing as well.

Cheers!

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    Thanks for the compliments and welcome. Hope you keep contributing as well.

Cheers!
    Thank you Debraw.

I'm Dale, and I've lived in Edmonton since 1960--needless to say, I've seen many changes; some for the good, some for the bad. I love Edmonton, but I see it only in context as a village. I'm a walker, not a vehicle addict. I love Edmonton's core: downtown (with all it deficiencies, but changing), Oliver, Garneau, and Strathcona. My space in Edmonton is quite small, but I'm happy with it. I can do without the sprawl.

^ Welcome to the "village" or community of C2E!

First One is Always Free

I've read about this website many times from the Journal, but really never actually saw it until today.

I've lived in Edmonton 16 of my 23 years technically, but I don't count the two years I lived in Lac La Biche - I was back in Edmonton more often than not. I work at a bank, I've been married for two and a half years, and I'm a geek who enjoys computer & video games, and sci-fi/fantasy books.

I'm a forum junkie, and I look forward to lurking and posting here. Edmonton's an awesome city, and I'd love to do whatever possible to make sure other people know it.
    Last edited by Corath; 27-10-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

C2E Continued Contributor

Welcome aboard! We look forward to your contributions.
    Almost always open to debate...

First One is Always Free
    Edmonton, AB, near the University of Alberta campus.

Thumbs up

Hello, everybody!

I'm Miki - I was born and raised in Jasper, AB, and came to Edmonton when I was 17 years old to attend the U of A. Now, I'm graduated and living here in an apartment by the U. I love Edmonton, and can't thank this city enough for all of the fantastic opportunities it has given me during the past six and a half years!

Edmonton is AWESOME!

KaraokeQueen

Quote Originally Posted by KaraokeQueen View Post
    Hello, everybody!

I'm Miki - I was born and raised in Jasper, AB, and came to Edmonton when I was 17 years old to attend the U of A. Now, I'm graduated and living here in an apartment by the U. I love Edmonton, and can't thank this city enough for all of the fantastic opportunities it has given me during the past six and a half years!

Edmonton is AWESOME!

Hello and welcome Miki!

I like your spirit and agree with all of your sentiments! Thank you for introducing yourself and please keep contributing to the C2E community!

Cheers,

Debra

First One is Always Free

Default New Edmonton specialist travel company

Hi,

I am Karen and I am the owner/operator of a new Edmonton specialist travel company named Urban Insight.

I am originally from the UK, my background is tourism in Canada and I moved to Edmonton 3 years ago.

My new company is focusing on bringing in inbound traffic to this great city and promoting the destination and the urban product nationally and internationally.

Please feel free to check out my website www.urbaninsight.ca which will be updated with new packages on a regular basis.

I look forward to being part of this forum and to growing my business in Edmonton.

Karene

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Karene... very cool website. I love the photo of the Leg grounds. Very nice.

Hi Karene,

Welcome, welcome!

First One is Always Free

Hi All,

I've been lurking off and on for a month now and have just started getting active here. I am impressed with the depth and range of participation and opinions on this site.

I've lived in Edmonton since 1980. Moved here as an 18 yr old pup to work "one" winter on the rigs and never went back. Today I create real estate investment projects.

I am a big fan of the entire Edmonton Region and am proud of how our City has grown in the last decade or so. But I really LOVE the river valley trail system! My wife (yep, I married a local gal) and I live close enough to walk to it and we do it all - ride our bikes, jog, x-country ski, walk our dog, meet friends and go to many park events. Our trails are truly a world-class gem!
    Where there's a will, there are a hundred ways!

Hi Rob,

Welcome!

Look forward to "seeing" you online here...

Cheers,

Debra

First One is Always Free

Hello! I'm from Chicago and I've been having a series of strange dreams (about one or two a year) about me moving to Edmonton for the past 4 years or so. I've never been to Edmonton...In fact other than a family trip to Niagra Falls I've only been to Windsor.

I have a pal who lives in Toronto an is befuddled by the calling I have to Edmonton. He thinks I should set my sights on more attractive Canadian cities like Vancouver or Toronto. I told him to take a hike on that one.

I enjoy hockey and am for the Blackhawks. Can the Oilers do us a favor and not lose to Detroit every chance they get? Next to hockey I love going to the park to see the White Sox swing for the fences.

welcome to the site Yoda. good to see some interest from outside the country. Weird dreams your having though. If you love hockey you would fit right in here.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    welcome to the site Yoda. good to see some interest from outside the country. Weird dreams your having though. If you love hockey you would fit right in here.

Now I just need to figure what I do when I get there. Any ideas?

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Hello! I'm from Chicago and I've been having a series of strange dreams (about one or two a year) about me moving to Edmonton for the past 4 years or so. I've never been to Edmonton...In fact other than a family trip to Niagra Falls I've only been to Windsor.

I have a pal who lives in Toronto an is befuddled by the calling I have to Edmonton. He thinks I should set my sights on more attractive Canadian cities like Vancouver or Toronto. I told him to take a hike on that one.

I enjoy hockey and am for the Blackhawks. Can the Oilers do us a favor and not lose to Detroit every chance they get? Next to hockey I love going to the park to see the White Sox swing for the fences.

Hello! I'm Yoda's pal from Toronto. I'm your typical obnoxious elitist easterner. I love talking about European art films that I've never seen, pretending to know about fine wines, and buying overpriced sports tickets. But enough about me, let's talk about me.

Obviously I'm not the best person to advise Yoda about Edmonton.

Please give Yoda many tips and suggestions. He's a friendly fellow and very curious!

Well, it's time for my pedicure...

lol. Best introduction so far Toronto Baby.

Yoda, I suggest moving your inquisitions to the Ask Ed section of this forum. You'll get some good insights there.

First One is Always Free

Baby wants a 2nd team in Toronto instead of Winnipeg. He also attended the NFL game in Toronto and started like three (3) fights.

First One is Always Free

One day, after Chicago, Istanbul, Belgrade and Charlottetown have all had their turn, we will get the OLYMPICS and then we'll show you all!

(I only started two fights.)

First One is Always Free

Baby is a solid guy. His peace offerings have included: a pack of Canadian micro-brews, some skinny puppy CDs, etc.

First One is Always Free

Well it appears I've never actually written anything in this particular thread so I figure there is no better time than the present.

As you can tell, my name is Andrew Knack and the reason I have my full name listed on this site is because I ran for city council in October 2007 and I had an account set up for me.

As of a few weeks ago, I am 25 years old and I have lived in Edmonton for about 7 of those years. I grew up in Spruce Grove and quite enjoyed my time in Spruce as a child. At the time, there wasn't a lot of things to do in town and that is how I developed my love for video games. I am a self-proclaimed nerd who owns all the current video game systems and likes to play a couple of times a week. I used to work at EB Games and Best Buy (in the video game section) which is how I have been able to become an even larger nerd. I love to talk about video games as much as I like to talk about politics.

My family and I moved into Edmonton about 7 years ago. We lived in the Meadowlark area while I attended the U of A (graduated in 2006 - BCOM - major in marketing). Before I graduated from the U of A in 2006, I had purchased a condo that is literally across the street from my previous home. I moved into my new condo on September 10 of this year and have been enjoying living on my own. The solo living won't last long though as I got engaged in May and will be getting married at the end of March next year.

I never would have thought when I first started University that I would want to become a politician. I have always had an opinion on issues and have even helped in some campaigns but I had planned to be the successful business person and make large sums of money. Without making this a terribly long story, it was only a few years ago that I finally thought that making money wasn't the most important thing in my life. I am far more concerned with improving the lives of others than making a few extra dollars. I would prefer to work for the benefit of the regular person rather than some businesses that only care about the bottom line. It will sound really cliche, but I hope to get elected in 2010 so that I can try and help this city reach its full potential.

I have been reading this forum on a daily basis but I haven't really posted much because I was/am concerned that people may read my posts as "Andrew Knack the politician" instead of "Andrew Knack the regular guy who plays a ridiculous amount of video games". I think that by giving you a little more background on who I am will help me be more willing to add my thoughts and maybe even start some threads for once. I think this is a fantastic forum and I hope to see it grow because I think a lot of people can benefit from what is posted here.

Anyway, I think that I have said more than enough about myself for now. I think it's time to let others have their time in the spotlight.
    http://www.andrewknack.com
    http://twitter.com/AndrewKnack

First One is Always Free

Hey there.

I'm Carl, this is my first (well, second) post. I currently live in Toronto but am thinking of moving to Edmonton in the new year. I like to discuss politics and the economy and it seems like there are a lot of intelligent people on this board, so it seems like I found the right place!

Welcome and thank you for introducing yourselves (Carl and Andrew)!

Hi I'm Matthew and I found this forum while looking up the weather and seems to have some cool ideas. I have lived in Edmonton for a year and a half now and I'm from Port Moody, B.C. (Greater Vancouver).

Hello everyone! I am Edmontonenthusiast! I have lived in this city for my entire life, and it is my favourite city. I think it's a real up and coming city and has a bright future. I like seeing it develop. I wanted to get on this site cause it seems like a really friendly site and it'll be fun talking with Edmontonians about Edmonton events. Ohh...I should also letcha know - I have been a lurker since 2007, I actually remember murman. I kind of know some stuff already and follow this site lots so I will prob be a reg contributor . My basic interests are: urban planning, photography, art, geography, music, shopping, food, and movies. I am in the 13-19 age. Anyways I hope to contribute to this site and be well liked! You all seem very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    Hello everyone! I am Edmontonenthusiast! I have lived in this city for my entire life, and it is my favourite city. I think it's a real up and coming city and has a bright future. I like seeing it develop. I wanted to get on this site cause it seems like a really friendly site and it'll be fun talking with Edmontonians about Edmonton events. Ohh...I should also letcha know - I have been a lurker since 2007, I actually remember murman. I kind of know some stuff already and follow this site lots so I will prob be a reg contributor . My basic interests are: urban planning, photography, art, geography, music, shopping, food, and movies. I am in the 13-19 age. Anyways I hope to contribute to this site and be well liked! You all seem very nice.

edmontonenthusiast!

Welcome to C2E. Thank you for registering and coming over to the non-lurker side!

Hope that you contribute lots as well. (It is really great to have a younger point of view.)

Cheers,

Debra

Thanks Debra! That was a really nice post! Now all I need to do is read the rules .
    ----

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast