Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself!

Default Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself to the forum!

I'll start...

I'm Thomas and have been living in Edmonton all my life, I love this city and hope great things will come its way.

What about you?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Good idea

I'm Sherman... born and raised here, and happen to think the people who say this place is boring haven't looked hard enough for things to do

I'm looking forward to what the people from this community will accomplish.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Good idea Thomas!

I'm Cara, a born and raised Edmontonian.
    Although I've spent time living elsewhere, I always come back home with a renewed sense of appreciation for this great city.

Let's spread the word...

First One is Always Free

Hello All!

I'm Ryan. Born in St. Albert, lived in Slave Lake, educated at the UofA, now living in Spruce Grove. I have always been an Edmontonian at heart, a proud supporter of the Oilers, Eskimos and our Arts community.

Cheers!

Richard here!

Born in Edmonton, raised in GENESEE!!!!

I am very excited about this. I look forward to using this forum to help me in recruiting, and in showing why I moved back here after living in so many other cities.
    Onward and upward

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I'm Lindsey, born in Edmonton, grew up in Newfoundland and moved back here just before junior high. I'm currently in my second year of Engineering at the U of A.

C2E Posting Power

I'm Ryan, I was born and raised in Edmonton, recently completed a Bachelor of Management (Intl. Mgmt) at the University of Lethbridge and am now back in Edmonton.

I think this is a great initiative and am looking foward to continuing to spread the word about this great city.

First One is Always Free

Hi,

I'm Sherman!

I hate to break this born-and-raised-in-Edmonton trend, but someone's gotta do it eh... :P I grew up in Toronto and loved it there. Most of my family and friends reside there.

I'll be finishing up my Mathematical Sciences Co-op undergrad degree from UWaterloo this summer. Although I will miss being a student, and managing and promoting events on our wonderful campus, I look forward to graduating... Exciting times!

I hope to visit every province in this wonderful country - so far I've done Manitoba (very briefly), SK, ON, and Quebec.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Hi, I was born and primarily raised in Edmonton. I've also lived in Kelowna for a couple of years and other cities/towns in Alberta (Vegreville, Sherwood Park).

After spending a few years in Ontario for university, I made my way back to Edmonton in 2003. I work for a local engineering and consulting company in Edmonton.

I love this city and what it has going for it.

I am looking forward to this forum and interacting with everyone.

Chris

Hi, I was born in eastern Canada - don't blame me, I had nothing to do with it!

I have lived in Ontario, BC and Alberta. I have been fortunate to have visited every province and territory except the Yukon.

Have also been very fortunate to have lived in two other countries and have travelled to over 50 countries.

This is my second time in Edmonton. I have been here over twenty years, so it looks like I am here to stay!

My paternal grandmother and my father were born and raised here and from them I have a love of the Esks and Oilers.

I love this city and have always been a proud ambassador for it.

I am an Edmontonian!

Regards,

djgirl

I'll add to this fire

My name is Myles and I was born in Stettler, where I lived until 1994 and then in Lacombe until 2000 when I moved to Edmonton to go to University. For the past six years I have lived in Riverdale and the Financial District (with a brief year hiatus in the south end).

I'm currently enrolled in the Humanities Computing/Classical Archaeology MA program at the U. I hold a BA Honours in Anthropology/Classics from the UofA as well with my primary focus being on the warfare of Rome and Greece...my current research deals with predictive terrain modelling to figure out troop movements and regional defensive matrices.

I love Edmonton and have been happy to see some of the change about this city has seen in the past five years ago. However, we need more and more importantly we have a huge mental barrier to get over. Edmonton still does not view itself as a city in many ways and this is where we have failed in the past decades.

Hopefully things such as this forum can help get our voices out to people that make decisions in this City. Edmonton has a lot of amazing potential. We just need to tap it.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Hi, I'm Troy and I'm a design addict...lol.

Born in Edmonton, lived in Singapore for 2 years, Kelowna for 5 years and the rest of my time in Edmonton.

I graduated high school in Edmonton, completed courses from U of A and have an Honours Diploma from NAIT.

I'm glad to be apart of this and look forward to increasing the positive outlook on Edmonton.

C2E Long Term Contributor

hi my name is ian, i enjoy long walks in hawrelak, ice cream on whyte, and anything oilers....

er i mean

i was born in ottawa raised in edmonton, took a "vacation yr" in vancouver, and am back with a renewed sense of how undervalued, underappreciated, and under represented Edmonton is in Canada.

I work for a local developer and am hoping to be much more involved in Edmonton's future growth from here on in.

cheers

ian

Adding to the foreign content, I was born in England, lived in Scotland, moved to an outport in Newfoundland, came to Canada in Nova Scotia, moved to Ottawa, then Halifax, Jasper, Edmonton, Grande Prairie and now back to Edmonton.

I'm constantly delighted by what Edmonton has to offer, and at what level. One of the choirs with which I sing was invited to be part of a performance at Carnegie Hall last November, for example.

Welcome to Connect2Edmonton John!

I'm RichardB and I'm currently living in Taiyuan, Shanxi, China. I was born in Africa, lived in Britain, South Korea and BC, but have spent most of my life in Edmonton. I'm an extremely proud Edmontonian.

I found this website via Scott McKeen's article in the Journal. I am really excited about this concept and how it can spur discussion about Edmonton's future. We're at an exciting time as Edmonton is redifining itself and I hope to be an active contributor to Edmonton's future.

This site really makes me want to move back, and SOON!

Welcome Richard!
    Onward and upward

Hi rcmbrown, China is such a fasinating country eh!

Welcome!

Hi I am Dan,

I was born and raise in Edmonton. Infact I have lived in the same house my entire life...and looks like I'll be staying here for...well maybe forever!

I just finished my apprenticeship as an Electrician and through that was lucky enough to experience/construct and be in charge of some portion of developments through out Edmonton and area.

Next year I'll be returning to school full time at NAIT to complete my diploma in Electrical Eng Tech and I hope to transfer to U of A for my Elec Eng degree after that.

I hope to not only watch and enjoy the continued development of this City, but would also like to contribute and try to guide it toward making smart choices and huge succeses! I feel that a site like this is the perfect building block for the upcoming professionals to garner an idea of the value and attributes this City has to offer.

Hi, I'm Sean, I found my way here due to Scott Mckeen's column.
    I've lived here in Edmonton for most of my life aside from some time in Calgary.

I must say i'm glad to see a site like this and just from quickly glancing at the forums, i'm happy to see such participation and interest in regaining our right to be called the capital city. Oh, i'm also a graphic designer, turn-on's include walks in the rain and unicorns.

Hello, I've lived in Edmonton since 1983 and lived in *cough*Calgary*cough* for 3 years but I was too young to remember. I've finished an Information Technology diploma at Grant Macewan and I'm currently finishing my Bachelor of Commerce degree at the U of A. I hope to stay in Edmonton and start my career off here, even though I've had a few offers in Calgary. I'm proud to be an Edmontonian and want to help build it into the great city it's supposed to be.

Hello, my name is Kim, and I have been an Edmontonian for as long as I can remember. I saw Scott McKeens column and I had to check out this site. I have a diploma from Grant MacEwan and I currently work at the UofA.

I am very proud to be from this city, and I am constantly surprised when I hear of a person who cannot see the potential of it. In the course of my work, (I work for a large faculty), I speak to out-of-towners about the pluses of living here (lower standard of living, great education, etc.).

I am glad to find a group of people who feel as passionately about Edmonton as I do. Lots of great ideas - lets hope we can get more people to make them happen!

Hello,

I'm a reformed geek on my third or fourth career. Born and raised in Edmonton but I have travelled some.

I truly love Edmonton, and even winning a big lottery I would still live here ( though I might take some long winter vacations! )

I think that not only does Edmonton have "potential" in many ways it already exceeds many cities with better PR. I love teh fact that this is a city that you have to get to know, and that it isn't all layed out for you... that the longer you know Edmonton the more suprises you get, rather than other cities thatimpress at first and become stale and boring quickly. I respect tha fact that we as a people are workers, and are busy living our lives rather than bragging about how great we think we are.

Of course, that also hurts us in a world where self promotion is king and humble competence is ignored.

And I hate the insecurity complex evidenced whenever some official speaks of a "world class" project. We are unique and wonderful and we should build on that. We should quit worrying what other places are doing, figure out what we ant... and then, actually do it.

Anyway, 4 decades of life experience here in Edmonton, experience as student, family oilpatch business, computers, food healtcare and maintenance.

Welcome to all recent members!

Quote Originally Posted by CSR
    Of course, that also hurts us in a world where self promotion is king and humble competence is ignored.
    The words "humble competence" describe what I've been feeling about this city for a while. I didn't know the words, but now I do... that might also explain the relatively slim "Raves" section vs. the larger "Rants" section in the forums.

I don't suppose it would be too much to ask for you to write a Rave based on this would it? I think it would go a long way towards getting your point across.

Hello,

It looks like I'll be the first to admit I was born and raised in Calgary. I moved here to start a Ph.D. at U of A. I started to like the city when I realized that after living here 6 months I could find my way around Edmonton better than I could ever find my way around Calgary (so long as I stay out of Millwoods and Riverbend anyways). I'm nearly done my Ph.D. now and I would definitely rather stay here than move back to Calgary (and not just because the roads go in straight lines and have numbers on them).

Welcome to the forum!

So much of Edmonton's identity complex is as a result of constant comparison's between Edmonton and Calgary. Its nice to have a Calgarian recognize the potential in our city and show us that the grass is pretty green over here too!

Enjoy C2E :)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48
    Hello,

I could find my way around Edmonton better than I could ever find my way around Calgary (so long as I stay out of Millwoods and Riverbend anyways).
    Classic!!!
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by cara
    So much of Edmonton's identity complex is as a result of constant comparison's between Edmonton and Calgary.

As a city, we SO need to stop this. Why compare ourselves to just one city, or to anyone at all. We have our location, certain tools, and we need to work within these.

I know that personally, a goal I have for this forum is to not compare to Calgary, but to look at ourselves first.
    Onward and upward

highlander

I'm mike, Born & Raised in St.Albert, and you can guess my current hood. Im a sucker for construction, a walker, and a bus/bike/train commuter. Ive visited pretty much every major, semi-major & second rate city in Canada, but I have yet to anywhere I'd rather live.

Well, I suppose it's kind of late to be introducing myself after making several posts, but I probably should . . .

I'm Dusty Bear, known to friends and family as Mike. I was born and lived in Edmonton until my family moved to St. Albert when I was 12. Since then, I've lived in a number of different cities, mostly working as a journalist. But I always keep coming back to Edmonton.

I've been in E-town steadily for the past few years and am now in the communications business. I've got a lot of love for this city, but realize that it needs a kick in the pants every now and again.

That's why I was so excited with the results of the last mayoral election. When I first met Stephen Mandel a few years back, he shook my hand and said, "Welcome to Sh**y Hall." It was refreshing coming from a politician, to say the least.

I came to this site after reading Scott McKeen's column last week. I know Scott and have had some good discussions with him about this city of ours. I don't always agree with him, but at least he gets it.

I'd like to thank the creators of this site - it's nice to see a lot of other people care, too.

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm MikeK. Sorry to be a bit late here in introducing myself, but some of you might already know me from a couple of other forums anyhow.

Being an Edmontonian most of my life, I've come to know and love the city despite its shortcomings. I'm glad to know there's people out there who care about this city.

My name is Sarah and my family and I are about to relocate to this city from the Maritimes. I hope we will like it there.
    "The moose is loose!"

First One is Always Free

Stan here, likely the only "Black-Irish" Chinese-Canadian ninja you're likely to meet. I'm a Quality Assurance Ninja at our very own videogame developers, BioWare Corp. When not assuring quality, I spend my time on Whyte Ave., performing in theatre and with local a cappella ninjas, Apocalypse Kow.

I'm a former member of the University of Alberta Mixed Chorus *waves to MylesC* and I attended Victoria Academy of the Performing Arts back when it was still Victoria Composite High School. I remember a time before West Edmonton Mall, South or North Edmonton Common, and before North Town Mall had the Save-On. I remember the bridge over 101st., the empty stretch of 137ave. between Griesbach and the Leon's, and the blank space between 153ave and 167ave along 97 st. Most of all, though, I remember Northlands Coliseum.

Good times.

Hey, Stan! Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Stan
    before North Town Mall had the Save-On.
    Welcome Stan,

That's old school. I remember buying a clock cassette player/radio at Consumer's Distributors with money from substituting on my friend's newspaper route.

I lived in the Dickinsfield area; a couple blocks north there was nothing but farmers' fields. That's long since been developed.

And, sigh, Northlands Coliseum . . .

First One is Always Free

Hello, I am Quidgybo....a Big fat bald north american ape!

Seriously, I am David and I live in a small town out west - I won't mention the neame as you have not been there, trust me.

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Quidgybo
    Seriously, I am David and I live in a small town out west - I won't mention the neame as you have not been there, trust me.
    I'm not so sure of that... I believe our resident Bear is from there (aren't you Richard?)

Welcome!
    Time to grow up.

Yeah...I am from out that way...

GENESEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Onward and upward

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear
    before North Town Mall had the Save-On.
    Welcome Stan,

That's old school. I remember buying a clock cassette player/radio at Consumer's Distributors with money from substituting on my friend's newspaper route.

I lived in the Dickinsfield area; a couple blocks north there was nothing but farmers' fields. That's long since been developed.

And, sigh, Northlands Coliseum . . .
    Ah, Consumers Distributing, that takes me back. The toy section of those catalogs were my wish list for years. Not just individual items, but the whole section!

I lived up in Dickinsfield until I hit high school. Three blocks away from my elementary school, Northmount. I went there for a few years, then moved to Kildare Elementary over by Londonderry Mall. Remember the old, born-interior Londonderry Mall? The Woolco? Heavens, the movie theatre they had?

Hi Everyone,

I guess I can share… My name is Don. I grew up here in Edmonton, most of my childhood out past the Namao Air Base, then a stint in St Albert, and I now reside downtown. (Soon moving, yet again.)

Attended filmmaking courses through the National Screen Institute, studied audiovisual communications at MacEwan, and then went on to multimedia technologies at NAIT. I am a Licentiate of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada, and soon to be of the International Chapter of the AIGA (United States).

I regularly give guest-lectures at the University of Alberta. I speak in the Religious Studies Department on contemporary occultism and the use of myth and symbolism in metamorphosis. These specialised studies have led to further invites to write for other bodies around the globe. I have also guest-spoken on brand and marketing at MacEwan.

Currently, I work as a Visual Communication Designer and will be focusing much of the last years' research with others into brand consulting for small- to medium-size companies. The plan is to bring my personal network of talent from across North America and Europe to businesses in Alberta considering integrating the benefits of design into their overall business strategies.

Other than that, I cycle, enjoy beer, wine, & women, read a lot, and am pretty boring.

Cheers,

Don!

I lived up in Dickinsfield until I hit high school. Three blocks away from my elementary school, Northmount. I went there for a few years, then moved to Kildare Elementary over by Londonderry Mall. Remember the old, born-interior Londonderry Mall? The Woolco? Heavens, the movie theatre they had?
    I went to Northmount for Kindergarten to Grade 3 in the Ukrainian bilingual program. Geez, that was ages ago. Let me think, say around 1980 to 1984?

I remember a student named Stan. Probably a longshot, but we were in the enrichment program together.

Last time I went to Londonderry I got completely lost. My mom used to take me to Jack and Jill when I was really young - the entire mall looks so different now.

. Let me think, say around 1980 to 1984?
    the man says ages ago, Grade 3 and 1984 in the same sentence....

Thanks for making me feel old...
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS

. Let me think, say around 1980 to 1984?
    the man says ages ago, Grade 3 and 1984 in the same sentence....

Thanks for making me feel old...
    Oh, I have you totally beat on the feeling old part. I graduated from High School in 1982 and for my English matriculation read Orwell's 1984 considered a "futurist novel" at the time. (Granted I did graduate at a younger age than most due to a fluke of birthdates and school acceptance…but still.)

Feeling old is having kids being legally able to drink who are younger than how long you have been married—that pulls me up.

However, age is only a number and you get out of life what you put into it. I have friends who are 18-22 who amaze me with their depth and capacity to connect with people on a genuine level. I also have acquaintances double or triple that age who are mindless sell-outs.

Now I feel really young...born in 1983!

First One is Always Free

I went to Northmount for Kindergarten to Grade 3 in the Ukrainian bilingual program. Geez, that was ages ago. Let me think, say around 1980 to 1984?

I remember a student named Stan. Probably a longshot, but we were in the enrichment program together.
    Sweet monkey butter! I was in the enrichment program in Grade 3 (1983-84). It was only a few people, and we were taught by the principal, Mr. Kischuk. I don't remember a Mike, though, but if you messaged me with your last name, it might ring a bell.

I would have been in Miss Giaccobo and Miss Murray's Grade 3 class. I don't know if you remember names like Joel Whitson, Todd Cutts, Norton Mah, Jason Sadlowski, Justin Mah, Wesley Poon, Robbie Ryks, but I believe those guys were in my class.

Quite the coincidence, but the world does get smaller the further online we go.

It must have been you, then. I remember a Stanley in Mr. Kischuk's enrichment class. Joel, he was in the class, too, right? And I think there was a Ryan, as well.

I was in Mr. Shapka's Grade 3 class. But Northmount discontinued the Ukrainian program and I went to Delwood for Grades 4 to 6.

I think I recall your last name. I will message you.

First One is Always Free

Yup, Dusty/Mike and I know each other from way back in elementary school. Neat. Anyone else here go to Northmount in the early 80's?

Hey everyone, my name is Ian. I have been a member for about 2 days now. Anyway, I am was born here in Edm in 2 weeks I'll be 23. For a good chunk of my childhood I was raised in Vegreville, but I have since lived in a bunch of places throughout Alberta.

I am currently studying Journalism at MacEwan, and I just wrapped up my first year. Eventually I plan on going into politics, but I have alot of other interests as well, which I would love to pursue such as film making, architecture and of course Journalism.

Default Nova Scotia transplant

Moved from NS to Edmonton area about one month ago (July 2006) Like most Maritimers, we moved here for the jobs. And jobs there are. I never thought I'd get sick of employers calling me wanting interviews. We do miss NS though, but not the NS weather. Always sunny in Alberta. I also miss my cats.

Any other Maritime transplants here?

BlueNoser

My name is Dave. Born and raised south of the Whitemud in Duggan and Twin Brooks, and only recently bought a condo up near Concordia.(Still eyeing out places downtown...) Although I've lived and travelled abroad (europe, asia) my home is here and I hope it will be for some time.

I found my way here via conversation on the SkyScraperPage Forum, and some guys like RichardS and IanO.

My name is Stephen but I generally go by Steve. Born in Peterborough, England and emigrated to Canada 10 years and 2 months ago. Came straight to Edmonton (best province and the best city within that province), now live in Sherwood Park. Have been fortunate enough to work or visit every continent apart from Antarctica (still trying to think of a way to get down there).

I love watching the city grow and, as I travel quite a bit, EIA is a major topic of interest.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Oops, just noticed this thread after been a member for a couple of weeks now. In a nod to my fertile internet nickname imagination, my name is Mick. I was born in Newcastle, England, where I lived until I came here at 13. Since then I've spent the majority of my time in Edmonton, with a three year stint in Kingston, On for my MA.

I enjoy travelling and would love to see Edmonton develop towards a truly vibrant, confident city.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dan and I was born and raised in Camrose. While I have have never lived in the greater Edmonton area, the close proxmity allowed me to visit the city frequently. I now work for ATB Financial and I'm experiencing small town central Alberta, first living in Rimbey and now Carstairs.

Brent
    Born and raised in Edmonton and metro region. Currently living in Colorado for work (9 years in the states). I am an International Account Manager so I travel alot. The topic of YEG is an interest of mine because of work, and having a pilots licence.

I have decided to take a risk and leave my nice job and move back to Edmonton in hopes of finding something in which I can still travel, but be based out of the city I want to be part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk
    Brent
    Born and raised in Edmonton and metro region. Currently living in Colorado for work (9 years in the states). I am a International Account Manager so I travel alot. The topic of YEG is an interest of mine because of work, and having a pilots licence.

I have decided to take a risk and live my nice job and move back to Edmonton in hopes of finding something in which I can still travel, but be based out of the city I want to be part of.
    You were always a great contributor on SSP and now you are doing the same, all I can say is; Welcome home Brent.

First One is Always Free

what up.. lived in NS for 12 yrs.. originally middle eastern.. just moved to Edmonton in June.. finally settling in gettin my new apt mid month!.. i haven't really been out n done anything.. any pointers about good places to visit.. any haligonians out there.. hit me up

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotex
    what up.. lived in NS for 12 yrs.. originally middle eastern.. just moved to Edmonton in June.. finally settling in gettin my new apt mid month!.. i haven't really been out n done anything.. any pointers about good places to visit.. any haligonians out there.. hit me up
    Welcome to E-town man!

I should post since I've been signed up for a while.

My name is Terry, I live in Grande Prairie right now but I grew up in the Calder and Kensington parts of town and have lived in various other parts of town.

Went to Athlone, Wellington and Victoria Composite during my school years.

May yet move back to Edmonton as GP is getting too rich for my tastes.

Hi, my name is Ralph, I live in St. Albert and other than 6 months hitch-hiking through B.C. as a teenager I have lived in the Edmonton area all my life. I attended Forest Heights, Hardisty and McNally Schools and am a graduate of the NAIT Business Program.
    I grew up in Forest Heights, where my family has lived on the same block since 1911. The other side of my family homesteaded at Onoway in 1902 so I have pretty deep roots in the area.
    I was born in 1960 and even as an elementary student I had a keen interest in local politics. The first civic election I followed closely was when Ivor Dent was first elected mayor.
    I am an avid hiker and cyclist and have personally explored nearly every inch of the river valley and ravine system. Being a history buff I have read dozens of books on the city's history and I believe that the isolation, climate and patterns of settlement have made us into a unique culture all our own.
    I have very strong opinions about most civic issues and I have been frustrated following a near lifetime of ineffective mayors and councils.
    That being said, I am a huge fan of Mayor Mandel. I think this city has finally found somebody with a keen business sense who also appreciates the fact that one of the biggest strengths this city has is it's artistic community and diversity.
    I am very pro-development but not at any cost. We are at the start of an enormous boom that should be quite long-lived. I am excited at the prospect of Edmonton finally living up to it's potential.
    The one thing that really bothers me though, is that in my opinion the city's administration is profoundly inefficient and wastes money on a scale far beyond that which is acceptable.
    Edmonton is facing enormous pressure to expand and deliver services to accomodate this expansion and the administration just doesn't have the competence to handle it.
    I do however, truly believe that the work ethic and attitude that is a part of Edmonton's culture will overcome bureaucratic inertia and incompetence.
    I live in St. Albert and am very proud of this little corner of Edmonton. Although nobody out here agrees with me, I feel that all the satellite communities are part of Edmonton. I refuse to define my city by which bureaucracy collects the garbage.
    This forum and website are indicative of the feeling of confidence that has returned to Edmonton in the past 5 years. I am very heartened by the fact that there are so many people with so many great ideas to improve the city that I love.

Hi all, I'm John.

I live in Tokyo now, which is strange to compare to Edmonton point to point, but I might try some day.

One thing I learned growing up in Edmonton is to get the right one, the first time: i.e., Commonwealth Stadium, The Space Sciences Centre, The Citadel Theatre, and especially The River Valley (although that was a project started well before I grew up.) Even Tokyo, the indisputed hub of a G7 economy, even now, 23 years after the Lee Pavilion was finished, doesn't have facillities as good.

Another good teacher of that concept was the disaster that marred the Hotel MacDonald from the 1950s to the 1990s.

Among recent projects however, like most of you it seems, I'm particularly offended by Cohos Evamy, or to me privately, "Covert Enemy." I think they think that the interior of a building is everything, and yeah, the interior is one aspect of a building, and yeah, it's also the only aspect they do well, but it IS NOT EVERYTHING! Edmonton may have its cooler days but that doesn't mean we spend every single day indoors. First impressions are not formed in the interior of any building aside from maternity wards! Honestly, did they think the Hotel MacDonald was DOWNGRADED in 1990?

/end rant/

Perhaps this message could fit another topic, but really this is who I am. I bought a beautiful and expensive tiled floor for my condo because of Commonwealth Stadium. The floor will now outlive the building and always be beautiful, non-mould growing (a serious concern in Tokyo) and easy to clean. Should I now improve it by blocking the view with concrete and writing "BIG" on it? Don't be fooled by Edmonton-Scapegoaters, Edmonton has things that stand up against the best in the world.

/no really, end rant/

Uh, so, let's see, is the "Square Pizza Shack" still in business? I miss that too.

A hearty welcome to the new members! Your experience will be appreciated by all around here i'm sure.
    Time to grow up.

First One is Always Free

Hi! New Edmontonian here. Moved for a new job at the begining of August. I'm really looking forward to discovering a new city. After only 4 weeks I can say it's a good change of pace. Born and raised in Cowtown and figured it was time to try a new venue. So far so good!

First One is Always Free

Hi ALL!
    I, on the other hand, am an Edmontonian to be. Born in Nigeria. At 16 came to Moscow, been living in Moscow for 16yrs now, planning to immigrate to Edmonton.
    We (with my wife) are in the final stage of our immigration process, so expecting to land in Edmonton in the next 2-3 months.
    Edmonton is our choice for a million reasons. we have no doubt the city will meet our expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by ludba
    Hi ALL!
    I, on the other hand, am an Edmontonian to be. Born in Nigeria. At 16 came to Moscow, been living in Moscow for 16yrs now, planning to immigrate to Edmonton.
    We (with my wife) are in the final stage of our immigration process, so expecting to land in Edmonton in the next 2-3 months.
    Edmonton is our choice for a million reasons. we have no doubt the city will meet our expectations.
    Hi ludba!

Welcome to this forum and soon to Edmonton.

Edmonton is a great city and needs great people.

I have no doubt that you and your wife will love it here. Coming from Moscow I am sure that you can handle an Edmonton winter.

Good luck with all your plans and keep posting to this forum if you have any questions, concerns or comments.

Welcome!

First One is Always Free

thanx djgirl.
    yeah, Winter won't be a problem. I just see it as a season, that's all. (as long as it's not gonna be -40 degrees celcius all the time )
    Nothing is permanent but change.

No, it won't be minus 40 all the time...

Actually, Edmonton doesn't have too many days where it is brutally cold. The best thing about winter here is that it is really sunny and somehow that makes the cold that much more bearable.

I came from a tropical environ and well I don't like the really cold weather I have found that as long as you dress for it and are prepared when driving etc. that it is doable.

Edmontonians are a hardy bunch but we are also a very welcoming group, this is the warmest (people wise) city I have ever been to.

I have not been to Moscow since the change in politics but I always loved the ballet and the wonderful architecture of the city.

Edmonton has a great, thriving and active arts and cultural scene but is still a baby when it comes to history.

Thanks for coming and contributing to building Edmonton into one of the great cities of the world!

First One is Always Free

Hey I'm Paul,
    Pretty young (2nd year uni) and a proud Edmontonian.
    I'm interested in contributing to this forum
    since I'm considering Urban planning as a career path.
    Just wondering if there's any people around my age...
    or if I have to speak out for them :P .

Hey Paul, I'm just about 23, so I guess I would be one of the younger members.

First One is Always Free

sweet...
    I'm still 18 haha.
    Are you at all related in the field of planning?
    'Cause I'm pretty knew to this.
    I'm taking Environmental Studies with a minor in Human Geography at the U of A.

might need some guidance

C2E Super Addict

Hey!

Well I have posted here before, but since I'm a "binge poster" and not a regular, I might as well re-introduce myself.

Chump isn't my name but apparently I am one

Born and raised in Edmonton, now live in Saskatoon...which, by the way, is in many many ways very similar to E town - only smaller. Spectacular river valley, great University, busy summer festival season....maybe we should be sister cities

Living away from E-town has given me better perspecitve on some issues for the city. One of which is "the Sign"....but I'll start a thread on that some other time, hehe

Cheers!

Chump

Quote Originally Posted by Chump
    ....maybe we should be sister cities
    The smartest thing Edmonton could do is foster strong relationships with Saskatoon and others along the Yellowhead. Stop looking south...
    Onward and upward

C2E Super Addict

The smartest thing Edmonton could do is foster strong relationships with Saskatoon and others along the Yellowhead. Stop looking south...
    I have thought about that for some time (sister city idea, not the yellowhead thing, which is even better).

Perhaps a letter to the Mayor is in order

Edmonton should not forget about "the other corridor" - meaning from here to Winnipeg, and from here to Jasper on the other side.

It may not be quite as much in the news as the North-South axis of our province, but if those other cities do well (Lloydminster-Saskatoon-Yorkton-Brandon-Winnipeg) then that means our customers and our visitors are doing well.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH

Hey, Terry. What years did you attend Vic Comp? I went there 90-94, graduated class of '93. I was involved in the choirs and the year-end musicals and hung out with the artsy crowd up by the library.

And I work with a whole bunch of Grande Prairians.

First One is Always Free

My name is Patty. Almost a native Edmontonian; I've lived here since I was 6 mo. old. I live in Old Strathcona, in an apartment. I'm employed by the province in the department of 'Infrastructure and Transportation'.

First One is Always Free

I have thought about that for some time (sister city idea, not the yellowhead thing, which is even better).

Perhaps a letter to the Mayor is in order
    Or a letter re Highways to the Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation, Ty Lund.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH

Hey, Terry. What years did you attend Vic Comp? I went there 90-94, graduated class of '93. I was involved in the choirs and the year-end musicals and hung out with the artsy crowd up by the library.

And I work with a whole bunch of Grande Prairians.
    I went from 1976 to 1980, so i doubt we have any common classmates. If anyone remembers, it was a trades school at the time with some arts, though nothing like it has now. It was also a pretty bad drug haven (couldn't go into the bathrooms without the reek of someone smoking up). Hope it was a lot cleaner when you went.

I took TV Crafts as my major elective. Though nothing ever came of it, it was an enjoyable course to take, especially for the 11th and 12th grades.

If you know anyone at Focus Surveys up here, PM me.

First One is Always Free

My folks knew Vic as a trades school and were initially opposed to my attending school there. throughout my first couple of years there, they were concerned about the gang problem, the drugs, and the "hostile" element. But Bob Maskell and Susan Burghardt really turned that school around.

By the time I got there, it was an arts-emphasized school, with many of the auto bays converted into studio classrooms for arts classes. Now, in my opinion, it's swung the other way, and is a little too artsy for my taste.

Maskell was after my time. The principal at the time was a really good guy but I guess Vic needed an iron hand to run it when it became a junkie school.

First One is Always Free

Default Hello all

Hi there! My name's Mark Wells. Thought it was about time I quit lurking. I was the former SEE news editor that wrote the story on LRT costs that some of you read. I'm now working on a kind of pop-culture/history/guide book about the city and will likely look to connect2edmonton's collective wisdom once in a while.

I'm still doing some freelance work too. If you've got a scoop, I'd be happy to hear it.

Welcome aboard! I am sure that as you get engaged here, you'll get that scoop.
    Onward and upward

Welcome, welcome...and I'd just like to point out this site has now moved past the 500 registered user mark! What a great accomplishment. This site is already home to some great discussions, and everyone seems passionate but levelheaded and tolerent of alternate views as well.
    I think this site is dead on track to its goals!

First One is Always Free

Hey I'm Rav Naidoo, born and raised Edmontonian.

Been reading this forum for a couple of months, but finally decided to post something. Currently at the UofA finishing up a BSc in Biochemistry.

I've had many opportunities to travel to South Africa, England, Australia, New Zealand, Mauritius, and the US - and have worked/lived in the US for a little bit. What struck me is how well respected Canada is, and more well known and thought about than we may think. However, it takes some time to get people acquainted with Edmonton. After a little discussion about this city and its exciting possibilities I found people to be very receptive and impressed! Keep it goin'

Quote Originally Posted by NBS
    Hey I'm Rav Naidoo, born and raised Edmontonian.

Been reading this forum for a couple of months, but finally decided to post something. Currently at the UofA finishing up a BSc in Biochemistry.

I've had many opportunities to travel to South Africa, England, Australia, New Zealand, Mauritius, and the US - and have worked/lived in the US for a little bit. What struck me is how well respected Canada is, and more well known and thought about than we may think. However, it takes some time to get people acquainted with Edmonton. After a little discussion about this city and its exciting possibilities I found people to be very receptive and impressed! Keep it goin'
    Thanks for posting... and welcome. Always nice to see long time lurkers deciding to participate.
    Time to grow up.

First One is Always Free

I'm a student at the U of A who heard about this site through a friend who is very much involved in the city. Thought I might try it out to see what the environment is like.

Greetings Friends, enjoy reading the forum to keep up on whats
    going on in Edmonton. I moved from Edmonton 19 years ago and
    live in Calgary. Hope to move back someday!

I absolutely LOVE it when ex-pats join. That is a major reason why we have this forum - to get their experiences from other cities.
    Onward and upward

I guess it's time for me to finally get around and introduce myself.

I was born in Hong Kong and my family immigrated to Edmonton when I was one year old. My father visited Expo '67 and fell in love with Canada. He had a friend studying at the U of A so that is why we moved here (thank god!!!).

I grew up in the southside of Edmonton all of my life, so sorry for any southside biases. I've worked in the restaurant industry for many, many years.

I found Connect2Edmonton by a google search. I was looking for a discussion forum to discuss Edmonton current events and issues. Through multi-linking I happen to settle on this site. (p.s. I'm not an IT guy but if you google 'Edmonton and discussions forums' you will NOT get to this site, is there a way to get a higher profile?).

Back in the day, Telus used to have a discussion forum on their home page but they dropped it. I enjoy constructive arguments, which is what you will not find on MSN or Yahoo chat sites.

As a lifelong Edmontonian I am quick to defend the quality of life of my city. As a side note, Edmonton has fallen behind Calgary since Ralph Klein became premier. I feel this city has unlimited potential to be world class as long as we all do our part to promote.

Cheers!!!

Glad to finally meet you all. Always nice to see the diverse backgrounds around here.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    (p.s. I'm not an IT guy but if you google 'Edmonton and discussions forums' you will NOT get to this site, is there a way to get a higher profile?)
    Thanks for this information. We will see what we can do but in the interm even if you aren't an IT guy, you can raise the profile of this forum by simply getting other sites to link to us (link to a discussion, the main page.. anything). If you are part of other forums and they do not forbid you from linking to other sites, just drop this URL into a relevant discussion. We need all the help we can get since there do seem to be quite a few people who stumble upon this site through Google.

Hopefully someday we can get a guide up on how exactly everyone can help C2E raise its profile.
    Time to grow up.

Default How do you do

Hi

My name is Brian Gregg. A lot of my friends call me Breezy. I was conceived in Vancouver and flew across the Rockies as a fetus in 1949 to be born in Edmonton at the Royal Alexandra Hospital. I am a guitar player, singer song writer, and entertainer but I have done other jobs to fill in when gigs have been scarce. I have driven taxi and worked for quite a few years off and on as a mechanical engineering technician at the U of A. I once ran for Mayor of Edmonton. In 1969 I played in Angus Park Blues Band and we opened for Led Zeppelin at the Edmonton Gardens.

These days my fill in jobs are teaching guitar and working as a cleaning lady two nights a week. I also work as a volunteer every Wednesday night hosting the Little Flower Open Stage http://littleflower.ca

I have released 3 CDs http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/cds.htm

Most weekends I perform in and around Edmonton with Patsy Amico who I love.
    http://patsyandbrian.ca
    Breezy Brian Gregg

Default How do

Hey all

I grew up and have lived most of my adult life in Edmonton; also lived in Calgary for a couple of years and Vancouver for several years. I've traveled extensively with my work, nationally and across many areas of the U.S. I've been fortunate to have vacation traveled to many countries. Throughout it all I expect I've developed a view that Edmonton could be so much more - than it is. So long as I'm still here (yes, somewhat reluctantly), perhaps I can add a bit to your board; perhaps begin to appreciate Edmonton for more than I am aware.

Default Re: How do

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I grew up and have lived most of my adult life in Edmonton; also lived in Calgary for a couple of years and Vancouver for several years. I've traveled extensively with my work, nationally and across many areas of the U.S. I've been fortunate to have vacation traveled to many countries. Throughout it all I expect I've developed a view that Edmonton could be so much more - than it is. So long as I'm still here (yes, somewhat reluctantly), perhaps I can add a bit to your board; perhaps begin to appreciate Edmonton for more than I am aware.
    Always glad to have different perspectives here. Good honest opinions from people who have little emotional investment are always a good thing. Welcome!
    Time to grow up.

C2E Super Addict

Default Re: How do

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I grew up and have lived most of my adult life in Edmonton; also lived in Calgary for a couple of years and Vancouver for several years. I've traveled extensively with my work, nationally and across many areas of the U.S. I've been fortunate to have vacation traveled to many countries. Throughout it all I expect I've developed a view that Edmonton could be so much more - than it is.
    We should make experience like yours a prerequisite to running for mayor and city council, frankly.

Welcome.

They need to pay more on ocuncil.....
    Onward and upward

First One is Always Free

Been a lurker for awhile, so here goes.... my name is Pete and originally from Sarnia, Ontario. Transfered out here in 1980 when 22. Except for a 4 year stint in Abbotsford, BC I've been here since. Love the city and what they and the province have to offer. The only thing I miss from Sarnia is a REAL LAKE.
    I really enjoy this forum and look forward to it contributing to the growth of Edmonton.

A real lake....spending half my time in the Okanogan during my youth, I understand what you mean....

I want to do something w/Wabamun...it has the potential to be a great lake. Wind for sailing and soem nest bays for rafting together and partying.

I just hope a few more boating enthusiasts can get together and do this not only at Wab, but expand Cold Lake and maybe even Lesser Slave (although the cold temps in that water are still an issue).
    Onward and upward

never answered e-mail

Hi,

I'm Petri. My wife and I moved to Edmonton about 2 years ago from Vancouver to see what the big fuss was all about in Alberta. I grew up in a small town in central coast BC and attended university in Victoria, BC after high school. We lived in Vancouver for several years and decided to make the move here frankly, for better opportunities and getting ahead.

We really enjoy the city and were pleasantly surprised at the beauty, nice people, accessible and plentiful anemities (we're restaurant fiends), and sunshine! We look forward to establishing ourselves here and getting to know the city as well as getting involved with the community. You really have something special happening here in Edmonton and should be proud of its accomplishments and of its exciting future.

Cheers

First One is Always Free

HI Everyone, I have been lurking for awhile and thought it was time I finally jumped in.

My name is Deanna. I am originally from Dallas, Texas. I moved to Alberta in 2002-- first to Red Deer, and then to Edmonton in 2004. I still feel like a bit of an outsider, but I am trying to get to know more people and learning to really enjoy this city.

I look forward to reading all the posts and getting to know y'all.

Welcome to the forum Deanna!
    Connect2Edmonton is an excellent place to learn more about Edmonton and get to know more people.

My name is Sean and I've lived in this town since 1990. I grew up in Dawson Creek B.C. which everything came from Edmonton anyways. You didn't have cable you got CBC from Dawson Creek and CFRN. When you did have cable which by the way came from Edmonton you got ITV and Oiler games. The only way you could tell you were in B.C. was pretty much from the sales tax and B.C. Hydro. :P I love this town and I'm going to live there for the rest of my life, this is home and I've now lived here most of my life.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast