Thread: Rocky Mountain Ice House

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Rocky Mountain Ice House

A bunch of us hit up The Rocky Mountain Ice House (Cask owners)last night on jasper and 105st.

Still setting things up and working things out, but promising.

Menu is large and diverse, southern would be the best way to describe it.

Fried chicken
    Ribs
    Gumbo
    Jumbayala
    Crab cakes
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Patio open last night
    www.decl.org

Walked by it this evening, looks like a really cool space and in a prime location... there's kind of a lack of patio space along Jasper ave once you get past The Pint and Central. Looking forward to trying it out, and may go there with the office for lunch on Friday.

^There will eventually be a patio in the back/rear as well.

Jambalaya was quite tasty and came with really good onion fritters. Expanded mostly craft beer selection from Cask & Barrel is appreciated. Attentive staff, will be a cool space in winter months I think. Can see it as a comfortable after work destination.

As IanO said, some finishing touches still being worked on like accent lighting and the big central keg cooler. I love the amount and variety of bar area one can hang out.

Also was fun to hang out there on Friday with Corb Lund (Intersteller Rodeo being cancelled an all).
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Cool space ?

Destination ?

Expanded mostly craft beer selection ?

Accent lighting ?

Hang out there on Friday with Corb Lund ?

This sounds altogether way too ' man-man love ' for Top_Dawg.

Doubt he'll be going any time soon.

But sounds like a good addition for the core.

too much hipster for Top_Dawg?

Ha.

Interestingly enough, the crowd is exceptionally varied... a good thing... with all ages and beard lengths.
    www.decl.org

T_D probably doesn't go for bearded women though.

Then again ...
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    This sounds altogether way too ' man-man love ' for Top_Dawg.

Doubt he'll be going any time soon.
    All the more reason to go!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^Haha
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^^ indeed. Not worrying about some mutt lifting it's leg on your bar still, or worse, your own leg, will be a relief.

https://twitter.com/chrisbuyze/statu...149888/photo/1

Chris Buyze ‏@chrisbuyze Rocky Mountain Icehouse is a great new #yegpatio addition to Jasper Ave! #yegdt
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Night and day difference for that stretch with the patio there.
    www.decl.org

^qft

Was by it last night on my way to dinner at the Marc. What a transformation for that block! Think back 5 years ago with the empty upper levels about Red Star and it's a whole new world there.

^ Or contrast that with across the street - you have C2E's favorite watering hole, Pub 1905 with no patio and sealed up door to their wine room.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^Yup. Hopefully this gives other restaurants and pubs on Jasper an idea of what can be achieved.
    www.decl.org

I know one of our MVP posters has a bit of a chip on the proverbial shoulder about the 1905 folks across the street but I do hear good things about the Wine Room...

Good as in expensive?
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is the food at Rocky Mountain good? I've found the Cask & Barrel offerings to be a bit wanting.

^Yes I agree, except Cask doesn't have a full kitchen. They recently changed their menu offerings a bit and heard better things.

From what I've had so far, RMI food is pretty good. Had the jambalaya and some appies and was quite satisfied. Jambalaya had the right amount of heat and great onion fritters, even if the portion was a bit large. Chicken gumbo soup is also pretty good.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Strange that the menu of a place called "Rocky Mountain Ice House" features mainly Southern fare, but if it's tasty, I guess I won't complain.

Ice houses originated ^in Texas...
    www.decl.org

So Top_Dawg was staggering by Rocky Mountain Ice House, and recalling the stir this caused among his dear friends on C2E, he decided to pop in.

Nice room at first glance, but the bar layout is somewhat awkward.

Top_Dawg ordered a bottle of Canadian and was informed that they don't carry it.

They do carry Budweiser and so Top_Dawg ordered the barkeep to fetch him one.

Along with the Bud two menus were dropped off - one listing the food offerings and one listing drink.

At first Top_Dawg ignored the menus opting instead to take in the scene around him .

Later Top_Dawg decided to glance at the drink menu to see what this bottle of Bud is going to set him back.

$6.50 - just about what he expected.

Top_Dawg giggled to himself wondering whether they will charge GST on top of that, as seems to be the new norm in all these cornholio joints.

He asked for the bill, and sure enough they did not disappoint.

Tossing in a loonie for a tip made it an $8 beer.

Lesson learned.

Unless Top_Dawg gets dragged out for some kind of function this will be his one and only beer at Rocky Mountain Ice House.

Cheers !

A bit awkward, but kinda neat in layout as well, breaks up the room nicely.

GST is almost always in addition...

For that price you could have had a nice pint of something with flavour.
    www.decl.org

Found the food to be mediocre. Had sandwiches and wings with a friend, neither of us liked our food. They ran out of gumbo which is what I really wanted to try. So despite my poor experience, they will still get another visit from me because they couldn't give me my first choice.

I find most joints sell craft or craft-ish beers for 5+ or 3/3:50 on special, and Coors-Molson and Labatts go for 6+. That's just fine for me cuz Rolling Rock or Steam Whistle are the equivalent, better tasting, and well cheaper...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Ice houses originated ^in Texas...
    A little history lesson...

Ice houses go a lot further back, probably back to ancient China circa 1000 BC and Persia circa 400 BC. The first ones in North America probably existed in the New England and the southeast US well before the US took Texas away from the Mexicans. Ice houses were widespread across Europe, Asia, and many parts of the US, before the refrigerator and freezer made them obsolete by the 1960s.

They seem to be a kind of historical/cultural thing in Texas, though. Makes sense, given the deathly hot summers there. It was common for ice houses there to make additional income by selling stuff like ice cream, groceries and cold drinks, acting as early convenience stores. The 7-11 convenience chain was in fact originally started from ice houses in South Texas. Many ice houses in Texas have been converted into bars.
    Last edited by MikeK; 11-08-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

T_D sounds like an exceptionally well-behaved pooch. And he didn't try to hump somebody's leg. Give the hound some credit, guys.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

Visited for the first time last week. The room is great, service was good, beer/liquor selection very good. Food needs serious, serious work.

Interesting review Marcel. I went for the first time Saturday:
    - Food was ok though it reminded me of Mercer, which I am not necessarily a fan of their food, so I could be biased.
    - Space is great
    - Wine selection not top notch but serviceable, can't comment on the rest
    - Service was terrible in the begging trying to get a drink started, but once the patio closed it was average.

Some oddities were the night-club level audio and cartoons/PBS on the TV's?
    Would go back but not for a meal.

^Almost exactly what I'm hearing from most people. Owners may need to tweak things a bit.
    www.decl.org

Seems strange that any chef would send ***** out of their kitchen... Where are the standards? For a new business this seems critical to survival. I don't see how making a "change" will help a business with crap food and crap service survive once they've developed a ***** reputation. Maybe as a manager I just have higher standards that I expect to be met from the onset. Months later is just too late.

Be sure to let the owners/staff know about the food for it has been receiving mixed reviews by many.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Went for dinner last night, had the veggie enchiladas and my partner had the burger. Good was tasty, homemade chips and dip were a great side. No complaints, would definitely come back for a quick bite. Another casual option downtown is a good thing.
    www.decl.org

Good WAS tasty!
    www.decl.org

^Whoops. I refuse to edit my comment
    www.decl.org

Is Good your partner ?

Rocky Mountain Icehouse leaves reviewer cold

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...cold-1.2772276

She really ripped them this morning. I've heard her not like establishments before but she seemed to enjoy tearing these guys a new one.

^It's true, she can be quite tough on new establishments.

That said, Mad Bombers Society at RMI was quite fun last night. Place was packed.
    www.decl.org

^that it was...they sure know how to put on a show.
    www.decl.org

Every time I pass by this place, it's always almost empty. I wonder how long they'll last.

BTW also noticed their sign is now missing "Ice" so now they're named after a town west of Red Deer.

Doa?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Was on the patio last night, pretty quiet inside, love the fact that you can sit right on Jasper.
    www.decl.org

urbanspoon reviews indicate they are on the road to fail
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1874...house-Edmonton

C2E SME

I checked it out again a month ago, I believe on a weekend afternoon. Service was good, as was the food. Or at least the food was decent, which was an improvement over the first time. Otherwise yeah, the place was 90% empty on an otherwise nice sunny weekend. I hope they can make a go of it, but it can be tough to recover from a poor start and reputation.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    urbanspoon reviews indicate they are on the road to fail
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1874...house-Edmonton
    There's really only 3 reviews that are from the last 6 months or so, one of which just screams RACIST a few times. Hard to give it much credibility. Although the lack of reviews is probably an indication not many people are going in the first place, which obviously isn't a good sign.

Maybe they should advertise? I'm sure it's not helping with the construction next door. However , if they can hang on until that venue opens (Ian, name please?) Rocky Mountain will be fine.

^The Needle.
    www.decl.org

^^ seems a ways off still.

Construction is ongoing, permits in place.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Maybe they should advertise?
    Unfortunately, one of the first things most businesses in trouble do is cut their advertising... it's the most absurd thing, but it happens more than you'd know - I deal with is every day with my clients. Talk about being the master of your own demise. It pains me to watch businesses decline, people lose their jobs, and dreams turn to nightmares because owners are penny wise and pound foolish. If you're gonna go out, at least go out fighting, not giving up.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Ice House posts a ton of bills around, but yes, little 'formal' advertising other than in a few publications.
    www.decl.org

The so-so reviews by the Journal and CBC probably hasn't helped. Not sure if the usual foodie bloggers/twitterati have reviewed it.