Thread: Street Corner Preacher(s)

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Street Corner Preacher(s)

Just returned from lunch downtown. As most of the central downtown employees here are probably aware, there's been a soapbox preacher on the SE corner of City Centre Mall for the whole summer. I've always thought that these people added colour to the streets, harmless in their own way, not a big deal.

But this dude is downright obnoxious.

And, unfortunately I got stuck on a delayed crossing signal so had to put up with his overbearing, high volume ranting for around two minutes. I looked around me and got the impression that the majority of the other people waiting for the light felt the same way. To make matters worse I returned from Scotiaplace and crossed at 100A street back to City Centre Mall. And, lo and behold, his partner was planted there, same obnoxious shouting. And you could hear the other guy too.

Come to think of it that strip seems to have been taken over by bible thumpers, I believe there are a couple of girls (albeit quiet) setup by Second Cup at Milner.

Freedom of speech I guess. But are we expected to put up with this every damn day for the next few years? Makes me want to get out of that area ASAP, even avoid the corner.

You may not agree on my take, must be the heat affecting me...

They are all over downtown. There's a couple of them who does the exact same thing on the corner of 104st, jasper ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Norender View Post
    Just returned from lunch downtown. As most of the central downtown employees here are probably aware, there's been a soapbox preacher on the SE corner of City Centre Mall for the whole summer. I've always thought that these people added colour to the streets, harmless in their own way, not a big deal.

But this dude is downright obnoxious.

And, unfortunately I got stuck on a delayed crossing signal so had to put up with his overbearing, high volume ranting for around two minutes. I looked around me and got the impression that the majority of the other people waiting for the light felt the same way. To make matters worse I returned from Scotiaplace and crossed at 100A street back to City Centre Mall. And, lo and behold, his partner was planted there, same obnoxious shouting. And you could hear the other guy too.

Come to think of it that strip seems to have been taken over by bible thumpers, I believe there are a couple of girls (albeit quiet) setup by Second Cup at Milner.

Freedom of speech I guess. But are we expected to put up with this every damn day for the next few years? Makes me want to get out of that area ASAP, even avoid the corner.

You may not agree on my take, must be the heat affecting me...

Decades ago, when I was downunder, one jumped on a table I was eating at with family, started preaching to who they imagined might be interested. I pushed him off and he fell rather heavily, one of my prouder moments

My point is hardly a new or Edmonton phenom, annoying as heck though.

They are not the only street preachers that Edmonton had. There used to be an elderly couple that used to want to give us a testimony of what Jesus did. The guy was usually there and sometimes he was with a plump lady wearing clothes that looked like they came from Little House of the Prairie. Nobody wanted to be stuck at a light when they started to spout off either.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^ Too good.

They have one in YYC who used (uses still?) a mic and amplifier. He and the city have been in and out of court over his right to artificially amplify his freedom of expression.

Wonder if people like that ever question if they're really doing their cause any good?

Indeed, don't think Jesus himself ever resorted to shouting. Well, not sermons anyway ...
    ... gobsmacked

I remember as a kid, in the mid-late 70's and even throughout the 80's (90's even?), the old Ukrainian guy in the hat who, if I recall, planted himself at the SW corner of the then-named Edmonton Centre. Eventually a young woman who wore old fashioned long dresses showed up at his side. Eventually she was pregnant but stood by his side even when she was very large. He wasn't obnoxious though, definitely a character.

I wonder how people would (will?) react if it were a Muslim pushing the Quran in the same loud & obnoxious manner?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    They are not the only street preachers that Edmonton had. There used to be an elderly couple that used to want to give us a testimony of what Jesus did. The guy was usually there and sometimes he was with a plump lady wearing clothes that looked like they came from Little House of the Prairie. Nobody wanted to be stuck at a light when they started to spout off either.
    I was typing my latest as you posted this. I believe we're talking about the same couple. In hindsight they were a bit in your face too. And you are correct, it was both of them going on and on ... they were a bit old worldish.

What would it matter what they were flogging. If they are loud & obnoxious nobody is going to buy.

Addicted to C2E

I see it as a sign of a vibrant city. At one time (not too long ago) there was never enough people to preach to. This all adds some colour and conversation material to everyday life. You tend to get diverse characters in citylife not all of our own choosing.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I was typing my latest as you posted this. I believe we're talking about the same couple. In hindsight they were a bit in your face too. And you are correct, it was both of them going on and on ... they were a bit old worldish.
    According to Post 204 on the I Remember When thread, their names were Frank and Debra.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymonkeygod View Post
    They are all over downtown. There's a couple of them who does the exact same thing on the corner of 104st, jasper ave.

Yeah, those two cornholios.

And sometimes on Friday & Saturday nights they invade 105 street and Whyte.

By the Chapter's or kitty corner by the vacant lot.

Although they do have a sense of humour.

When somebody shouts back at them they laugh along with the crowd.

Yeah, I opened a Bible once and a leaf fell out. I thought I had found Adam's suit.

What would it matter what they were flogging. If they are loud & obnoxious nobody is going to buy.
    Strangely, if you go to Japan, stores have loud obnoxious speakers blaring promotions to the street outside, sort of similar I guess, oddly people do buy there though. Maybe the bible bashers think we are "Turning Japanese"?

Let 'em yap, you don't have to listen or absorb. Maybe CofE could designate a Speaker's Corner a la London.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Yeah, speakers corner in the middle of a parking lot. That would work.

We dance and sin next to the Chapters preacher when ever we spot him; start a mini-dance party.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^A flash dance. They will not know what hit them.

C2E Continued Contributor

There is the guy playing guitar by Winston Churchill square - why not bring him over to where these guys are preaching and drown them out.

I find these guys funny and scary at the same time. - brainwashing in its oldest form.

Maybe rent a water cannon. When they are in mid rant, fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    There is the guy playing guitar by Winston Churchill square - why not bring him over to where these guys are preaching and drown them out.
    How about jamming to some old gospel tunes?

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I hate that guy. But I love the fact he is there. I echo the sentiment above. Your not big city until you got nutjob street preachers.

I remember a day where all 4 corners were occupied.

People spreading the word of Mohammed on one corner. (nice, well dressed, polite)
    Jehovah Witnesses on another corner (very well dressed, always smiling, kept to themselves)
    Breezy Brian Gregg on another rocking a wicked electric guitar version of Pop goes the Weasel
    And the loud obnoxious poorly dressed street preaching ******* on the last corner

He is the worst tho for sure. Very pushy. Very loud. Just smack the pamphlets out of his hand next time he gets in your face. He ***** off pretty quick after that
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I remember as a kid, in the mid-late 70's and even throughout the 80's (90's even?), the old Ukrainian guy in the hat who, if I recall, planted himself at the SW corner of the then-named Edmonton Centre. Eventually a young woman who wore old fashioned long dresses showed up at his side. Eventually she was pregnant but stood by his side even when she was very large. He wasn't obnoxious though, definitely a character.

I wonder how people would (will?) react if it were a Muslim pushing the Quran in the same loud & obnoxious manner?
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    According to Post 204 on the I Remember When thread, their names were Frank and Debra.
    Yeah Frank and Debra! She was otherwise known as the Robot Lady because she spoke in a monotone voice old school, robot style. "Young....women...should...not...wear...tight ... jeans" (actual quote)

They were a bit creepy, especially for kids like me at the time. But I will take them than the current guy mentioned in the 1st post. Does he also stand outside Paull Travel? I think I saw him shouting at the top of his lungs there on Canada Day.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 15-07-2014 at 05:47 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Entertainment and eyes on the street at the very least...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Street preachers don't bother me, I can ignore them as long as they are not yelling in my face. There's other people on the streets who bug me more, such as those membership petitioners for groups like Amnesty International, World Wildlife Fund, etc.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Entertainment and eyes on the street at the very least...
    Yeah listening to people proselytize the public in an effort to convert them to lives of intolerance, bigotry, and a suppression of education is super fun! Those kinds of folks tend to love their guns too, so I guess that helps with the safety part...
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I remember Dougie the preacher who used to hang out at southgate transit center back when southgate was a dump and preach to us ainlay students. I believe he also gave out candy.
    Then he turned in to a superhero preacher. He's the pushup guy at the fringe. Claims he does thousands of pushups, but really only does 10 at a time, then preaches for a minute.

^Gave out candy............sounds creepy.

Just last weekend I was strolling along whyte only to hear a muslim preacher, he was shouting at the top of his lungs that 'you are all going to burn forever', 'do you think I am telling you this for fun' 'no this is for real - you will burn!!!'

There was a christian preacher right ten feet away pushing pamphlets.

Quite a sight. And very irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Quite a sight. And very irritating.
    Two, maybe three beers tops and that's side splitting.

They are no more annoying than that guy who hits taped-together buckets with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I remember Dougie the preacher who used to hang out at southgate transit center back when southgate was a dump and preach to us ainlay students. I believe he also gave out candy.
    Then he turned in to a superhero preacher. He's the pushup guy at the fringe. Claims he does thousands of pushups, but really only does 10 at a time, then preaches for a minute.

Too funny.

Top_Dawg saw him at Rosie's Bar in Old Strathcona just last night.

That guy use to beg for money on jasper ave in front of the 7-11, I saw him at art walk on whyte over the weekend. One time I saw him in his truck at home depots by clareview...

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    They are no more annoying than that guy who hits taped-together buckets with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Too funny.

Huh? The fringe pushup guy is STILL around? I remember him from the mid-90s, if not earlier.

And all the buckets are in the same key.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Too funny.

Huh? The fringe pushup guy is STILL around? I remember him from the mid-90s, if not earlier.
    Oh yeah - no *****.

It was him - Doug Pruden.

And according to him he's still at it.

Just not quite the same intensity.

The poodle serving at Rosie's also works at Blues On Whyte and she says he comes in there regularly.

Hey, I remember that Ukrainian guy! Way back in the early '90s, I once asked him why he was doing the preaching. I don't exactly remember what he said, but one thing I do remember: he slipped a $20 bill in my hand! True story.

A Muslim pushing the Qur'an like those street preachers pushing the Bible? I don't think he'd dare. He'd be asking for trouble. Especially in this day and age.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    With no consistent beat or discernible rhythm.

Too funny.

Oh yeah - no *****.

It was him - Doug Pruden.

And according to him he's still at it.

Just not quite the same intensity.

The poodle serving at Rosie's also works at Blues On Whyte and she says he comes in there regularly.
    Well, he has his own wikipedia page, though it's mostly taken up with outrageously oversized photos.

http://tinyurl.com/p2kz2bs

Apparently, he is in Guiness and has appeared on Letterman.

But it pays well so not a bad gig...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

[QUOTE=Norender;612686]I remember as a kid, in the mid-late 70's and even throughout the 80's (90's even?), the old Ukrainian guy in the hat who, if I recall, planted himself at the SW corner of the then-named Edmonton Centre. Eventually a young woman who wore old fashioned long dresses showed up at his side. Eventually she was pregnant but stood by his side even when she was very large. He wasn't obnoxious though, definitely a character.

I remember these two. We walked by in the early 80s with are roller skates. The lady said....those black boots with yellow wheels are sinful.

I said...dam rights they are.... Sinfully fast!!!!

Hilarious. I totally remember Dougie from back when I was in high school. I fixed the images on the wiki page.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Well, he has his own wikipedia page, though it's mostly taken up with outrageously oversized photos.

http://tinyurl.com/p2kz2bs

Apparently, he is in Guiness and has appeared on Letterman.
    Hah, you should check out the blurb on the associated "Talk" page of his Wikipedia profile:

Misleading statements

A lot of the information of this page is sketchy at best or just plain misleading. For instance, his 'appearance' on David Letterman consisted of him being one of two dozen random people Dave called in off the street with pizza boxes (view the scene here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NsjQQXGUDk). The article makes it sound like he was an actual featured, interviewed guest. I would be willing to bet his other 'appearances' are of similar quality, and frankly if they are they don't merit mention in the article. Nhauer (talk) 2010-06-25 —Preceding undated comment added 10:36, 25 June 2010 (UTC).

Thanks for that heads-up.

It seems he travels around to different talk-shows with his sign, sitting in the audience and hoping the host will notice him.

http://tinyurl.com/m6rhund

In 1998 the CBC show, The Current, had a feature on Doug Pruden. News media folks say he is a glory hound, attention whore, media manipulator. He will do anything to get on the camera or see his name in the newspaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao6EvD_SWHs

At the start of this clip, it mentions Doug phoning the Edmonton Sun about the Letterman appearance. He also called the Sun when U2 tickets went on sale in Edmonton. He got quoted in the paper, even though he is not a U2 fan and knows nothing about the band.

Doug is quite the character. And a fraudster!

p.s....Doug posted a rambling sermon in the YouTube comments to justify his actions with the media.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 17-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    In 1998 the CBC show, The Current, had a feature on Doug Pruden. News media folks say he is a glory hound, attention whore, media manipulator. He will do anything to get on the camera or see his name in the newspaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao6EvD_SWHs

At the start of this clip, it mentions Doug phoning the Edmonton Sun about the Letterman appearance. He also called the Sun when U2 tickets went on sale in Edmonton. He got quoted in the paper, even though he is not a U2 fan and knows nothing about the band.

Doug is quite the character. And a fraudster!

p.s....Doug posted a rambling sermon in the YouTube comments to justify his actions with the media.
    Well, as for Doug being a fraudster...

Apparently, it didn't matter to the media whether he was a U2 fan or not, since if it did, the reporter could have asked him. At the end of the day, they were looking for a few quotable lines, he provided them, and everyone went away happy.

Some might find it creepy that he uses tragedies like the Mill Creek drowning to get in the news, but then, I think the only opinion that matters there is that of the family. If they were comfortable with him reading the eulogy(and I'm not saying they neccessarily were), I don't see a problem.

The Current kinda hinted at the real issue here: It's the media allowing itself to be manipulated that gets Doug into the news. If the reporter had just said "Uhh, sorry sir, but we're not gonna run your generic quote about U2 being 'impressive' just because you were the first to call us", it would toss cold-water pretty quickly on his publicity-hounding. But they don't, so he keeps it up.
    Last edited by overoceans; 17-07-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Not sure about if it was as loud, but I don't know that much about the Quran and I might be interested in some of the stories; as long as they aren't outright attacking.

But it pays well so not a bad gig...
    My wife is a former percussionist. she weeps every-time we walk by. Those poor buckets. Even drugged out you should have some basic rhythm.

They're back.

Top_Dawg was waiting to cross 102 avenue to the crack side at lunchtime.

There was one of these soapbox preachers in front of Paull Travel.

Some cheecho from the other side crossed against the light and the preacher pointed after him and shouted that people can't wait for God's light.

Because they prefer to live in darkness.

Classic.

And then at the end of the block by the entrance to City Center East there was another one of these buffoons.

They've set up shop on the SE corner of 104th ane Jasper Ave for the past few days now. Each day they stand there preaching to the homeless who hang around outside of 7-11, and to the crowds of office tower workers who walk by and don't care to listen.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Top_Dawg spotted them again outside City Center East.

Now they are mic'd up.

And even have signage.

This is out of control.

Win win for them though. Sounds like they can really make a ruckus on that corner and if the city takes action against them they get plenty more notice.

First One is Always Free

I used to ignore the street preachers, now if I am not in a hurry I like to try and **** them off. Time to shout at and annoy the preachers instead of the other way around.

I was standing next to the new amplified version of these whackjobs yesterday ... way out of control now. The funny part was, a passerby was having a heated argument with his sidekick that they should attend bible study class because what they are preaching is wrong ... I would have loved to have that on video!

Anyone got the number for the busker that used to play 80's metal after all the concerts on his guitar? I'll kindly donate if he sets up shop right in front of these bozos and entertains folks while drowning them out.

C2E SME

I once asked the preacher if he knew the date for the end of the world, he didn't know.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Anyone got the number for the busker that used to play 80's metal after all the concerts on his guitar? I'll kindly donate if he sets up shop right in front of these bozos and entertains folks while drowning them out.
    That's Randy. Never got his number, though.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I find that when I'm in Commerce Place or Manulife, I am sometimes approached by some young guy in a suit who wants to talk about religion with me. I politely decline, but next time I see them I'm taking a pic and showing it to security.

On on top of that, I've encountered one or two street corner preachers on Whyte Ave.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That actually might sound good - people ranting about religion over some heavy metal guitar riffs. Some bands do that.

That actually might sound good - people ranting about religion over some heavy metal guitar riffs. Some bands do that.
    The Devil Does Drugs

^How'd you know I'm a MLWTTKK fan?

Edmonton's loudest street preacher speaks out

I'm not sure how you can re-write the law in such a way so as to ban Preacher Dale, without banning the street buskers as well.

The simplest solution would be amend the noise bylaw to have a maximum volume at a certain distance (say 80 dB at 20'). He can still say what he feels but not at jet engine volumes. If buskers are louder than that... well then they should fall under the same law.

The amplification is the issue. There needs to be a decibel limit.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    The simplest solution would be amend the noise bylaw to have a maximum volume at a certain distance (say 80 dB at 20'). He can still say what he feels but not at jet engine volumes. If buskers are louder than that... well then they should fall under the same law.
    That would be great. I've been to Churchill Square when bands outrageously amplify their music as if everyone one in the square should only be listening to them and so the drown out any potential to converse at any other activity nearby on the square. (Eg. Taste of Edmonton)

Maybe audience dependent limits. If you have an audience of 10, then one limit, an audience of 100 another limit. But you face strict criteria to claim that everyone, everywhere in the square wants to listen to you, and you alone.

Street corner preacher, shiny jacket electric guitarist (usually at Churchill), the heavily distorted guitarist on Whyte who looked like he was a member of The Hives, the guy outside Rexall near the liquor store with a huge amp.

All too loud. All within scope for such a bylaw. There needs to be a certain level of respect for the pedestrian if you're playing on the sidewalk where they are expected to walk.

Fair enough, I guess audience would determine the decibels and permit requirements.

The only way to deal with preachers is...
    a dance-off

Quote Originally Posted by mAD~mOD View Post
    The only way to deal with preachers is...
    a dance-off
    ....to amplified music. That's escalation towards MAD - mutually assured destruction.

Went for a walk downtown and 3 times I was stopped by these young Church of God dweebs. "Excuse me we're from the Church of God..." at this point I walk away without saying anything and they quietly move on. I've only encountered them occasionally, but these days there seems to be an infestation of them!

Creepy.
    Let's make Edmonton better.