Thread: Hapa Izakaya!

Default Hapa Izakaya!

Just opened in Calgary! Now don't need to Vancouver or Toronto for my hapa fix! Curiously the chef there is an edmontonian, perhaps one day we can get our own hapa! Another question, why is Calgary's food scene putting Edmonton's in the dust?,!?.!? So envious!

Watashi wa shiifudo arrerrugi desu. Watashi no dozo.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

Not sure James...

But judging by your impressive knowledge of that city to the south perhaps you already know that answer?

I don't get the envy, Edmonton has plenty of chain restaurants, doesn't need this one.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Why the OP brings up a place he visits elsewhere and then brackets it with a backhanded slight at Edmonton is the symptom of a simple mind.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I don't get the envy, Edmonton has plenty of chain restaurants, doesn't need this one.
    Hapa is just okay as far as chains go, better overall then PF Chang's though. That said we won't be going if they ever open one here. Tomo is much better and other Japanese places in town which we enjoy a lot more.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Disagree, this is one we want.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

at risk of beating the ramen thing to death, we also need decent ramen here in E town. I am seriously thinking of quitting my day job and working in a ramen joint in Vancouver and then opening up a ramen place here in E town; it'd make a killing!
    I tried Yuzen ramen in St. ALbert 2 weeks ago on someone's recommendation, and it was seriously lacking...just marginally better than nomiya...then I tried Shiki (new place in bridgeland) in Calgary last weekend, and it rocked! why does this have to be? more white collared, better traveled people in calgary demanding better? more japanese people in Calgary to draw quality chefs? anyways, excuse the rant

QUOTE=IanO;612250]
    Disagree, this is one we want.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jamesacer; 13-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Yes i am simple minded when it comes to food, to think about food constantly is at risk of being simple minded, and wanting great food all the time is never subtle with me..

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Why the OP brings up a place he visits elsewhere and then brackets it with a backhanded slight at Edmonton is the symptom of a simple mind.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jamesacer View Post
    at risk of beating the ramen thing to death, we also need decent ramen here in E town. I am seriously thinking of quitting my day job and working in a ramen joint in Vancouver and then opening up a ramen place here in E town; it'd make a killing!
    I tried Yuzen ramen in St. ALbert 2 weeks ago on someone's recommendation, and it was seriously lacking...just marginally better than nomiya...then I tried Shiki (new place in bridgeland) in Calgary last weekend, and it rocked! why does this have to be? more white collared, better traveled people in calgary demanding better? more japanese people in Calgary to draw quality chefs? anyways, excuse the rant

QUOTE=IanO;612250]
    Disagree, this is one we want.
    [/QUOTE]

This is when your rants begin looking like your nothing more than a Calgary troll using the 1996 term "white collared, better travelled".

That mentality I'm pretty sure died many moons ago.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I am seriously thinking of quitting my day job and working in a ramen joint in Vancouver and then opening up a ramen place here in E town; it'd make a killing!
    I guess there's no point in repeating that saying about quiting your day job. Hope you enjoy sweeping floors and washing vegetables while waiting for the ramen chefs to teach you their secrets.

I hear Momfuku in Toronto is hiring, maybe you can learn how to make their crack pie as well...

Good luck with your new career path!
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I see Japanese Village on Gateway Blvd at the Whitemud (south) in the that redeveloped shopping centre is just about to open. It had a name on it above the words Japanese Village stating something or other...izakaya or maybe something else. By the time I spotted it I was breaking for the lights and missed getting a read on the word.

edit:got a better look at sign today and see it says:

volcanic
    Japanese - Vietnamese

Sounds like an asian - asian fusion place. Are we running out of Japanese in this City?
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 16-07-2014 at 08:29 PM.

The business model of an Izakaya is much better than sushi/sashimi/ramen, mainly due to alcohol sales and overpriced appetizers (most of those dishes cost 270yen in Japan, the point being, the dishes are supposed to be low cost snacks).

In that sense, they are very similar to an Irish pub - in fact you could argue an Izakaya is a Japanese Pub. It'll only be a couple years before this market is oversaturated with bastardized versions of them a la Ceili's and Kilkenny's.

That being said, I personally prefer Izakaya food over traditional pub food.

I also prefer Guu over the Hapa chain and wish Alberta would get one.

Hapa hires tween asian girls as waitresses who may look good but have crappy serving experience. It's too "Earl's" for me personally.

Just opened in Calgary! Now don't need to Vancouver or Toronto for my hapa fix! Curiously the chef there is an edmontonian, perhaps one day we can get our own hapa! Another question, why is Calgary's food scene putting Edmonton's in the dust?,!?.!? So envious!
    I should imagine the Edmontonian Chief is just down there to show Calgarians how it's done. It happens a lot in most fields, more than most people realize.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Yes, lots of transplanted Edmontonians in Calgary showing how it's done. Another former Edmontonian is the guy re-opening up Anju in Calgary. It'd be nice to reclaim some of them to our fair city. Here's hoping that Edmonton hapa guy convinces the powers to be to open one up in E-town. Not a hard economic argument at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I should imagine the Edmontonian Chief is just down there to show Calgarians how it's done. It happens a lot in most fields, more than most people realize.

Quote Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
    I also prefer Guu over the Hapa chain and wish Alberta would get one.

Hapa hires tween asian girls as waitresses who may look good but have crappy serving experience. It's too "Earl's" for me personally.
    Your observations are bang-on as fas as my wife and I are concerned. And I would add Hapa is seems more nightclub-ish and the music is loud or horrible acoustics, take your pick.

Indeed Guu is much better than Hapa, at least in Toronto and around here we enjoy the fare at Tomo. I think if Guu were to open in Alberta it would more than likely be Calgary, we'd stop by now as again when visiting relations down there.

GUU is indeed fantastic, although different as mentioned.

After traveling to Japan, both izakayas and ramen places are missed so.
    www.decl.org

Izakaya Tomo on the south side is amazing.

http://www.izakayatomo.net/
    You know you're better than this.

That it is, one of my favourite, shame the location sucks.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That it is, one of my favourite, shame the location sucks.
    Maybe a spot just opened up in the former Razzleberries?

An Izakaya there would be money!
    www.decl.org

I see Japanese Village on Gateway Blvd at the Whitemud (south) in the that redeveloped shopping centre is just about to open. It had a name on it above the words Japanese Village stating something or other...izakaya or maybe something else. By the time I spotted it I was breaking for the lights and missed getting a read on the word.

*** edit:got a better look at sign today and it read:

volcanic
    Japanese - Vietnamese

Sounds like an asian - asian fusion place. Are we running out of Japanese in this City?

^^we are weeding out terrible Japanese.
    www.decl.org