Thread: 2014 Top 50 Canadian restaurants

Default 2014 Top 50 Canadian restaurants

Yay! Edmonton has no restaurants in the top 50. WTF? Granted this is a stellar list, I think at least 1, maybe 2 Edmonton restaurants deserve to be in this list...

http://vacay.ca/2014/05/2014-top-50-...dland-is-no-1/

C2E Long Term Contributor

Funny, never even heard of this Vacay website. And judging from their content I doubt I'd rely on it.

As for this restaurant list, maybe there should have been more judges from Edmonton? Our own Liane Faulder from the Journal was the only Edmonton judge. The Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba region judges are predominantly from Calgary, Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

http://vacay.ca/2014/05/vikram-vij-c...t-restaurants/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Must be the bad service from the servers lol

I truly don't think there currently is a Top 50 restaurant in Edmonton. Having sampled more than a few on this list, every one of them is head and shoulders above anything I've had in Edmonton. (Hawksworth, Charcut, Vij's, Splendido, Auberge Du Pommier, Canoe) And I've been to pretty much every restaurant that matters here.

Don't get me wrong. The "name" restaurants in Edmonton are competent and good but the gastro scene appears to have hit a glass ceiling the last few years where (gasp) cities like Calgary and Winnipeg have shifted gears. Anxiously waiting for that to happen here.

I'm inclined to agree. I have eaten at 22 of the restaurants on this list, and they are truly a cut above anything in Edmonton. Charcut is overrated IMO. I have yet to try out North 53...so can't comment on how they compare. Rge Rd is okay, but not comparable to the names on this list. Corso32 is outstanding, but so are the others on this list. Corso has probably hit a glass ceiling relative to the 'top 50'...

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    I truly don't think there currently is a Top 50 restaurant in Edmonton. Having sampled more than a few on this list, every one of them is head and shoulders above anything I've had in Edmonton. (Hawksworth, Charcut, Vij's, Splendido, Auberge Du Pommier, Canoe) And I've been to pretty much every restaurant that matters here.

Don't get me wrong. The "name" restaurants in Edmonton are competent and good but the gastro scene appears to have hit a glass ceiling the last few years where (gasp) cities like Calgary and Winnipeg have shifted gears. Anxiously waiting for that to happen here.
    Last edited by jamesacer; 23-05-2014 at 01:49 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

What a shame... A city of Edmonton's size being in lack of a real top 50 in Canada restaurant?

I am totally baffled...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Liane Faulder pretty much confirms my suspicions from my prior post, plus she says more foodies need to visit Edmonton
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...nts-in-canada/
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 24-05-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012