Thread: Northwest Pub/Lounge/Restaurant Welcomed

Default Northwest Pub/Lounge/Restaurant Welcomed

So I live in the Palisades/Albany/Newcastle area and there has been one thing that has bugged me about the northwest.

I wish they'd build a Joey's/Earl's or some other pub/lounge in the area.

Yes, there is an Original Joe's up by Oxford, but that's all there is. Even the northeast has an Earl's. With the awesome location of all the new neighborhoods and about 2 minutes away from St Albert, there is definitely a market there. I'd say it's from middle to high income areas.

The Keg and Moxie's on 137 Ave/St Albert Trail are always busy.

All they seem to build in these new areas are fast food (in this case McDonald's and Subway, with a Dairy Queen going up), or usual coffee shops (Starbuck's). Be nice to have a nice pub/lounge/restaurant in walking distance.

Just see lots of potential in the area for something like that.
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Brewsters in Castledowns is, IMHO, the best lounge offering in the NW. It's usually decently busy. There's lots of talk about an "upscale" restaurant and lounge as part of Griesbach commercial development, if it ever starts

I do have to ask... what do you consider NW? As you stated, there's Moxies and Keg, and those are plenty NW. There's the Rock, although they totally blew a great opportunity by being a family joint, and I guess Ale Yard doesn't suck as bad as it did at first.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Brewsters in Castledowns is, IMHO, the best lounge offering in the NW. It's usually decently busy. There's lots of talk about an "upscale" restaurant and lounge as part of Griesbach commercial development, if it ever starts

I do have to ask... what do you consider NW? As you stated, there's Moxies and Keg, and those are plenty NW. There's the Rock, although they totally blew a great opportunity by being a family joint, and I guess Ale Yard doesn't suck as bad as it did at first.
    Sorry. You are right, saying 'northwest' is too vague, as it does include a big area. I guess what I should have said is in the area of from Albany to Oxford. I was using The Keg and Moxie's as examples, showing that they are so crazy busy since people are craving for more like that out here.

Lots of commercial space is popping up but seems to be either big box store (Walmart), little shops, banks or fast food. Seems no one wants to do a restaurant/pub (in the style of Earl's/Joey's/Cactus Club), yet they would have that corner almost to themselves. As most of the other places are in the Skyview Power Centre/Christie's Corner out by 137 Ave. And I've noticed in my area lots of younger people with disposable income that would easily patronize something like that.

I have heard rumors of an Earls or Joey's in Griesbach, and though it wouldn't be in the corner were I'm talking about, it's still would be nice to have something closer than down town.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 04-05-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Addicted to C2E

In the casual restaurant sector , I feel that the west coast chain "Whitespot " is really missing the boat . I only know of two in the Edmonton area( Leduc and southside). There really could be a few more , the BC expats could provide a good customer base alone. I really like the Burgers and Nat Bailey Lager and would certainly welcome an outlet in the North of the city.

^^Yeah up 127st your best option right now is OJ's in Oxford Landing. Dukes was across the street but recently shut down. It's an odd space and a hideous building, so I don't know if anything will replace it soon.

I'm surprised nothing has opened in Albany yet as well, however both Oxford and Albany are such hideously generic strip malls I think it's highly unlikely anyone will invest to put in something decent. I expect a BP's or something terrible like that and that's about it.

I'd actually be interested to see if the Lazia people have looked at the area - they've invested quite readily in the north side, with Lazia and East.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^^Yeah up 127st your best option right now is OJ's in Oxford Landing. Dukes was across the street but recently shut down. It's an odd space and a hideous building, so I don't know if anything will replace it soon.

I'm surprised nothing has opened in Albany yet as well, however both Oxford and Albany are such hideously generic strip malls I think it's highly unlikely anyone will invest to put in something decent. I expect a BP's or something terrible like that and that's about it.

I'd actually be interested to see if the Lazia people have looked at the area - they've invested quite readily in the north side, with Lazia and East.
    I'd even take a non-franchise pub/lounge in that either of those strip malls.
    But you're right, both are horrible designs. Mind you if you think about it South Edmonton Commons, isn't really that great either, just bunch of shopping stores bunched together. When I first moved in that area I was thinking of the possibilities, but since then all I've seen is McDonald's, Walmart, Subway, banks, and spattering of small shops.....even the gas station is disappointing, least if it was Esso I could get my rewards haha.

Right now if I do want to go somewhere close it has to be OJ's, don't get me wrong I like it, but more options would be nice.

As for Duke's, it was not only a terrible building but BAD service! Went there twice and both times were bad. Don't think they were ever busy other than UFC fight nights. I heard they went bankrupt.

First One is Always Free

For what it's worth, we are getting an IHOP in the Oxford development on 127 ST/153 AVE.

As for Whitespot, good riddance. I was not impressed with their service at the Calgary Trail location on several occasions. My wife and I have a "three strikes" policy when it comes to dining. They were able to throw themselves out of the pool rather easily. There is a Whitespot Triple O's in the Royal Alex Hospital. However, I don't find their food to be much better than a local greasy spoon. Upon travelling to Cranbrook, BC last summer, we stopped into a Triple O's. The food was vastly better. Go figure.

Cheers!
    - xcalibur

228873757-002
    28-Sep-2016
    13530 - 137 AVENUE NW
    Plan 0121793 Blk 5 Lot 4

To construct Interior alterations to existing restaurant (Fionn MacCool's)

CARA OPERATIONS LTD, IAN SCOTT

That would appear to be the space formerly occupied by The Rock Pizza. I'm surprised they didn't take the space in front of Home Depot. Not my top choice but at this point I'll take anything new that isn't a run of the mill pho joint.

With the Big Lake ASP starting to get going (Hawks Ridge, Trumpeter, Starling and soon Kinglet Gardens) there should be more commercial coming to the NW quadrant of Edmonton.

Job No 232085943-001
    Description: To Change the use of a General Retail Store to a Restaurant (83.6m2 of Public Space).
    Plan 8322893 Blk 39 Lot 1
    Applicant: SA, BYUNG GYU
    Create Date: 10/5/2016 9:57:05 AM

First One is Always Free

Do we know what is going into that new development on 127th St at 140 Avenue beside the 7-11/Petrocan?
    Still hoping for a 5 Guys on this side of town!

-- xcalibur
    Last edited by xcalibur2572; 15-10-2016 at 06:21 AM.

^so far...

151064835-010
    04-Oct-2016
    14060 - 127 STREET NW
    Plan 1221516 Blk B Lot

To construct interior alterations in an existing shell commercial space for BP Clinic and Pharmacy. Scope of work includes new 45min demising wall and 2 barrier-free washrooms

1821631 ALBERTA LTD.

Job No 233013828-001
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail Store to Personal Service Shop and to construct an interior alterations.
    Plan 1221516 Blk B Lot 6
    Applicant: PHAT HONG HOLDINGS LTD., PATRICK HONG
    Create Date: 10/19/2016 11:24:57 AM
    Last edited by sonicboom; 21-10-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcalibur2572 View Post
    Do we know what is going into that new development on 127th St at 140 Avenue beside the 7-11/Petrocan?
    Still hoping for a 5 Guys on this side of town!

-- xcalibur
    You've got Rodeo Burger and Fat Burger on 97 St in Namao, and South Street Burger in Oxford - pretty much the exact same concepts as 5 Guys. Give 'em a try.

Job No 232776843-001
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail Stores to Restaurants (60 sq.m of Public Space) and to construct interior alterations. (CHOPPED LEAF)
    Plan 0523197 Blk 1 Lot B
    Applicant: BUDAL GROUP
    Create Date: 10/17/2016 10:46:39 AM

Good addition to the NW area.

Job No 235063243-001
    Description: To install (1) Fascia On-premises Sign (CHOPPED LEAF)
    Plan 0523197 Blk 1 Lot B
    Applicant: PRIORITY PERMITS
    Create Date: 11/15/2016 9:41:44 AM

Just thought I would add here:

The Rock has been repainted and will open it looks somewhat soon as a Fionn MacCools

Also in the Albany area the Browns Social house looks to be shaping up nicely but probably still 2-3 months away from being finished.

Korean restaurant instead of Vietnamese for once

232085943-002
    03-Feb-2017
    12504 - 137 AVENUE NW
    Plan 8322893 Blk 39 Lot 1

To change the use of a retail store to a restaurant (Group E to A2) - Hansik Restaurant.

SA, BYUNG GYU

Job No 242953840-001
    Description: To install 3 Fascia On-premises Signs (Turquaz Kebab House)
    Plan 9925108 Blk 5 Lot 3
    Applicant: TURQUAZ KEBABA HOUSE LTD., MEHMET
    Create Date: 3/10/2017 10:53:39 AM

242255682-001
    03-Apr-2017
    13304 - 137 AVENUE NW
    Plan 9925108 Blk 5 Lot 3

To construct interior alterations to an existing restaurant (convert a quiznos to Freshii)

LAUZIERE, JACQUES

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Job No 242953840-001
    Description: To install 3 Fascia On-premises Signs (Turquaz Kebab House)
    Plan 9925108 Blk 5 Lot 3
    Applicant: TURQUAZ KEBABA HOUSE LTD., MEHMET
    Create Date: 3/10/2017 10:53:39 AM
    After trying pretty much every kebab place in town, I'm ready to crown Turquaz the best in Edmonton.

Which space is that going into? Not the one vacated by the pub/restaurant? That's a really big space.

It's the old Don Cherry's on 137 Ave. Forget the name of the last tenant. Right by the ATB.