Thread: Warren Buffett, Ovarian Lottery, designing the world

Default Warren Buffett, Ovarian Lottery, designing the world

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Oh Hilman, KC just likes to make threads about anything and everything.
    In keeping with the above 'theme' I figured I'd post this video for discussion.

Buffett has talked about the ovarian lottery in the past and in the following video he talked about how to think about social issues and designing the world. I think it's a good post for this time of the year.

Buffett video - skip to the 3 minute mark:

http://youtu.be/Z4glkcb7HHE

-
    Last edited by KC; 17-12-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Text version here...

Warren Buffett On The 'Ovarian Lottery' - Business Insider

"You want to incentivize the top performers, don’t want equality in results, but do want..."

"...Only governments can correct that...."

http://www.businessinsider.com/warre...ottery-2013-12

The text:

We Love What Warren Buffett Says About Life, Luck, And Winning The 'Ovarian Lottery'
    Joe Weisenthal Dec. 10, 2013, 5:04 AM 58,721

Excerpt:

My political views were formed by this process. Just imagine that it is 24 hours before you are born. A genie comes and says to you in the womb, "You look like an extraordinarily responsible, intelligent, potential human being. [You're] going to emerge in 24 hours and it is an enormous responsibility I am going to assign to you - determination of the political, economic and social system into which you are going to emerge. You set the rules, any political system, democracy, parliamentary, anything you wish - you can set the economic structure, communistic, capitalistic, set anything in motion and I guarantee you that when you emerge this world will exist for you, your children and grandchildren.

What's the catch? One catch - just before you emerge you have to go through a huge bucket with 7 billion slips, one for each human. Dip your hand in and that is what you get - you could be born intelligent or not intelligent, born healthy or disabled, born black or white, born in the US or in Bangladesh, etc. You have no idea which slip you will get. Not knowing which slip you are going to get, how would you design the world? Do you want men to push around females? It's a 50/50 chance you get female. If you think about the political world, you want a system that gets what people want. You want more and more output because you'll have more wealth to share around.

The US is a great system, turns out $50,000 GDP per capita, 6 times the amount when I was born in just one lifetime. But not knowing what slip you get, you want a system that once it produces output, you don't want anyone to be left behind. You want to incentivize the top performers, don't want equality in results, but do want something that those who get the bad tickets still have a decent life. You also don't want fear in people's minds - fear of lack of money in old age, fear of cost of health care. I call this the "Ovarian Lottery."

http://www.businessinsider.com/warre...ottery-2013-12
    I wonder what Donald Trump's views would be?
    Last edited by KC; 14-01-2017 at 09:21 PM.