Thread: How to make your passengers happy [ Westjet}

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default How to make your passengers happy [ Westjet}

Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Excellent...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Westjet is one great airline. I bet that this will have a long lasting effect on the moral of the entire Westjet staff as much as the passengers.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ lol.......

There is some pretty major desertion in WJ rank and file.....

Talks and moves to unionize...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I am one happy regular customer. Where are they going to desert to, Air Canada?

"Humbug, I tell you; humbug!''
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Why do you take a positive event and turn it into a negative one. Are you one of the 431 Scrooges that put the thumbs down on YouTube?

I am not down on anything.... I am responding to you drinking the corp westjet koolaid.

My flight on WJ was just like air Canada but I had to use a crap terminal, paid the same price and my bags took forever. so meh. meh on all airlines..

FOR THE RECORD.... whats happy about a bunch of middle class people getting a bunch of stuff they could afford or really didn't need. Take a flight full of sick kids to Disneyland on your new Disney jet.... that's good will in my books. This was never about the people getting the gifts it was about the giver.

Welcome to Commercial Christmas at its best.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 10-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I am one happy regular customer. Where are they going to desert to, Air Canada?

"Humbug, I tell you; humbug!''
    "grumps"

Post meme here
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Continued Contributor

When I saw the video via FB my comments was:

Air Canada's version - HO HO NO
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I am not down on anything.... I am responding to you drinking the corp westjet koolaid.

My flight on WJ was just like air Canada but I had to use a crap terminal, paid the same price and my bags took forever. so meh. meh on all airlines..

FOR THE RECORD.... whats happy about a bunch of middle class people getting a bunch of stuff they could afford or really didn't need. Take a flight full of sick kids to Disneyland on your new Disney jet.... that's good will in my books. This was never about the people getting the gifts it was about the giver.

Welcome to Commercial Christmas at its best.
    As if Disney does not make huge marketing gains from such charity flights.

Would you rather that they hired 6 overpaid basketball players for huge bucks to do a commercial on how much legroom there is?

Quit being such a Scrooge.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 10-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Hey PRT....Stop name calling it's Christmas.

How about a little Christmas cheer hey?! Run out and buy something quick!!

I saw this video today with a former WestJet staff member. Fantastic stuff, great marketing, heart warming.

Hey PRT....Stop name calling it's Christmas.

How about a little Christmas cheer hey?! Run out and buy something quick!!
    Grumps^
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

<not replying to idio-tboy anymore>
    Last edited by Medwards; 10-12-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Matt there are others who are expressing the same concerns I did...just not here. Some want to paint WJ as the happy family. I pointed out it's not and i did it politely without drama.

I was then pushed for my opinion... which I gave politely

I was then called names by one poster and yourself.

So............. please redirect your own criticism back onto yourself and stop derailing the thread by making it about me. which I had no hand in contributing to.

The commercialization and commercial use of Christmas is a yearly ongoing discussion and that is what this site is for.

so I suggest you stop lurking the site waiting for opportunities to call me a *****.... it gets old.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 10-12-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Last edited by Medwards; 10-12-2013 at 06:04 PM.

^ you just don't stop......

I am not the problem here.

Thanks

Over 2 million hits on YouTube. Good on WestJet for a different kind of ad.
    One air ticket to Calgary $?, look on peoples faces, priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEIvi2MuEk
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^ The cost of the stunt would not compare to the cost of all the publicity they got for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    more names

clap......clap.....................clap

As my family prepares to spend our last Christmas with my grandma I am reminded what Christmas is REALLY about...

it's not about getting off a plane to find you are given a brand new big screen tv by the airline.

If thats the case Santa is black, female and called Oprah.

more names

As my family prepares to spend our last Christmas with my grandma I am reminded what Christmas is REALLY about...

it's not about getting off a plane to find you are given a brand new big screen tv by the airline.

It's a marketing gimmic. Can't believe how far your manties have bunched up your rear and front over this. Get over it

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
    "Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
    "Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
    "Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
    "115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Administrator *

more names

I think you missed the point. This wasn't about the material things people got. It's about being generous. It's about doing something unexpected. People will remember that for the rest of their lives. And they are not going to remember the gifts they got, as much as they will remember they unexpectedly received gifts. Nobody in that video was upset. Everyone was happy, happy, happy.

This was more of a Random Act of Kindness than a marketing stunt, in my opinion. That's what makes it so heart warming.

It's one of those win, win, win situations. Yes, it made the gift recipients happy, it made everyone (except a few grinches on here) who saw it happy, and it no doubt made WJ happy with its superb PR job.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The Westjet Christmas video had 4 million hits overnight. Current total is over 6.5 million. That is a hit out of the ball park and into center field in another city.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    I think you missed the point. This wasn't about the material things people got. It's about being generous. It's about doing something unexpected. People will remember that for the rest of their lives. And they are not going to remember the gifts they got, as much as they will remember they unexpectedly received gifts. Nobody in that video was upset. Everyone was happy, happy, happy.

This was more of a Random Act of Kindness than a marketing stunt, in my opinion. That's what makes it so heart warming.
    I agree Chris. It puts the true meaning of Christmas into action. Giving a gift without expecting anything in return. In Christian faith, God gave his only Son to the World as a gift, a sacrificial lamb and expected noting in return. They crucified him.

Yes you can call it a marketing gimmick but I guess two thousand years ago people were just like the 1,076 people who stand up and say they dislike the video. They are still trying to deny Him and the goodness that it is based upon.

If you do not like the video, fly Air Canada. What have they done for passengers lately?

Quote Originally Posted by reportsyourpost View Post
    more names

It's a marketing gimmic. Can't believe how far your manties have bunched up your rear and front over this. Get over it
    My panties aren't bunched up thank you very much I am being attacked.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

over 7 million this morning...

I did take a screen shot last night when I last checked the totals....

...666 dislikes...had to chuckle...

http://ppl.ug/XfEQokkqeSM/

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    more names

No this was about marketing. Pure and simple.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    over 7 million this morning...

I did take a screen shot last night when I last checked the totals....

...666 dislikes...had to chuckle...

http://ppl.ug/XfEQokkqeSM/
    666 dislikes by EDP and Air Canada employees, no doubt!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Look its great the video was fun, people we jumping and crying and screaming and blah blah blah....

but lets get serious. This is about one thing... the almighty dollar. Christmas is simply the delivery method not the reason.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

No one said this was an altruistic move...or a charity...or that it is not a customer appreciation plan...

It is the same as all trinkets and trash that are handed out at fairs, conferences, and the like. It is the same as the 1,000,000 customer bit.

It is the same as corporate team building events...trying to have employee retention et al...

If you want to be downright cynical, even the donations the city gives to the arts council and the like are not altruistic. They do it to get people to attend, or move here, open their wallets, and spend more. Just like this...

...but I am not going to let that get in the way of the fact that some employees had some fun, paying customers received a neat way to say thank you for your business, that the execution of the exercise was great, and that the video comes off well. I liked the exercise and I say hats off WestJet for this excellent way to appreciate the business your customers give you (and in the end, come back and do business again). Very creative...and more fun than an LED penlight.

Quote Originally Posted by reportsyourpost View Post
    more names

Wow, two completely different posters ganging up on EDP!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^^ I am 100% behind this post....

Lots of fun, but lets not kid ourselves what this is really about....

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

There is one thing about one doing a good deed just for the sake of doing it and not caring if anyone notices. Then there is the other one that does the good deed and tells the whole world about it so that they can receive praise as result. Both were good deeds and resulted in benefit to the receivers but which one was done out of a pure selfless motive? The true spirit of Christmas is about giving unconditionally without expecting to receive anything in return. Had they not had the Westjet cameras rolling and made a big production out of it and instead just let the receipients tell the story on their own I think I would have been more impressed.

Is it better that they made a commercial and paid the network millions of dollars to put it on air?

They have 9 million hits of people willing to watch a 5 minute commercial. You watched it and complain. If they instead of spending a $100K on this promotion and reduced the ticket prices over the year you would save about a penny on your next Westjet flight.

Watching the video warmed my heart and to all the people I forwarded it to.

That's my 2 cents

^ Better? thats subjective. More transparent.... yes.

Buying things for others for your own benefit... not Christmas but it is marketing.

Lets be clear what this is, no matter how much fun it is.......

WestJet didn't invent the idea of gift giving. It's been a Christmas traditionan since the birth of Christ. Three Wise Men, these gifts we offer him purr rup a pum pum, on my drum. Nobody is saying WestJet would be completely in the dark about it being a slick ad. It is slick but it is also a marvelous gesture of goodwill. What other big company has done something random for their customers that spreads goodwill. How about Telus, GM, LG, Apple, the list is endless. WestJet is carrying on the Christmas tradition of giving gifts and extending goodwill to all men.

^ Better? thats subjective. More transparent.... yes.

Buying things for others for your own benefit... not Christmas but it is marketing.

Lets be clear what this is, no matter how much fun it is.......
    And the Three Wise Men were just trying to bribe their way into Heaven.

Depending on your point of view, any good deed can be spun into a negative light.

Addicted to C2E

I think it would have been better to give the gifts to people that can't afford a WestJet flight. But then that wouldn't get hits on YouTube or provide the same PR. Enough said.

No good deed goes unpunished.

^ mark wants to put on the soundtrack to wicked now...

^ ?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Over 16 million views...

I guess those that are hating on this for marketing...forget this song and who was behind it...before viral videos were even invented...

...it started out with...

I'd like to teach the world to sing...in perfect harmony...

...bet most of you know who put this ad up...and does it change the message?

...and soon..it was lost who was behind it...for the message within was bigger....

Those marketing [email protected]$t... I'm craving a glass of rum and world singing in perfect harmony...and most of you are trying hard not to sing, whistle, or hum the song...

you're welcome.

After a glass of rum it will seem like the world is singing in perfect harmony.

I can do that without rum or any other inducement.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Addicted to C2E

With over 20 million hits and still growing rapidly, the WestJet Christmas miracle video has obviously resonated with the public at large. Maybe it is the vicarious feeling of childlike surprise we once associated with Christmas, or maybe it is the imagination and enthusiasm that is clearly exhibited by the employees involved that we are yearning to be like. Anyway, it works and it works on a very big level. Interestingly, we know that it is completely aligned with the nature of the Brand to produce this work.
    I think that the unintended consequence of this effort will be the introduction of the airline on the world stage. This has received coverage globally and the audience is truly global. The comments on YouTube are overwhelmingly favorable and indicate a desire to fly with, or work for WestJet. The airline might have unsuspectingly have prepared its self for entry into the international Big leagues much sooner than expected.
    We remember that the airline is Alberta founded and based and driven by the fresh energy of Western Canada. Somewhat like Disney, it has a strong and distinct culture and brand that differentiates itself from the other carriers. There may be a much , much larger future for this company than we can presently envision
    I truly enjoyed the video and the effort it took to make this happen. Merry Christmas!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Spoken like a true employee Hull534. Obviously a great marketing gimmick but really it is a gimmick none the less. It was sort of like winning a lottery prize, it is something that is not going to happen to you. I'm not sure what it really tells me about what my expectations should be if I flew on a Westjet trip, if anything. I guess you can put me in the humbug category if you wish but really if was just a smart publicity scam that worked well.

One of the oldest truisms in the book on getting noticed: "Ya gotta have a gimmick."
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Spoken like a true employee Hull534. Obviously a great marketing gimmick but really it is a gimmick none the less. It was sort of like winning a lottery prize, it is something that is not going to happen to you. I'm not sure what it really tells me about what my expectations should be if I flew on a Westjet trip, if anything. I guess you can put me in the humbug category if you wish but really if was just a smart publicity scam that worked well.
    You are certainly not alone in your feelings on this. Now with over 25,000,000 views on the web .I see that some 3900 other people have taken the time to give it the thumbs down also.

Never got sucked into it as the whole thing was nothing more than a marketing gimmick - a brilliant one at that. Joe & Jane Six Pack eat up things like this.

"oh, they really do care!"

IMO, there's nothing feely good about it when you understand the underlying reasons why.

Yeah, I'm a bit like that myself sometimes, cynical and all that. But now and again it's nice to loosen up a bit and just enjoy things for what they are. Life's too short.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The good people at Westjet do another great deed
    --or--
    Those horrible bastards at Westjet are at it again with their marketing gimmicks.

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 04-06-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^
    Oh, that hits you right in the feels; good job Westjet

Addicted to C2E

The best charity work is the work that is done anonymously or at least attempted to be done anonymously. This is marketing with a result of charity and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
    The best charity work is the work that is done anonymously or at least attempted to be done anonymously.
    I disagree. This informs a wider audience of the cause, in this case Ronald McDonald House.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
    The best charity work is the work that is done anonymously or at least attempted to be done anonymously.
    I disagree. This informs a wider audience of the cause, in this case Ronald McDonald House.
    Agreed publicity is a good thing as it can inform and motivate others to do likewise However, it shouldn't be WestJet posting the video and in doing so telling the world look what we did aren't we so great. Let others tell the story (with social media news will certainly get out one way or another) and in the end WestJet will still get the credit they deserve.

Who benefits the most? WestJet keeps getting the mentions and Ronald McDonald House is in the background. I'd say it's marketing with charity in the background.

^ yep...

Kindness is not done for recognition. Doing something kind and ensuring the media is there is self serving.

C2E Posting Power

Agree with you guys. However corporations ultimately exist to earn profits for their shareholders, so altruism is not part of their mandate. Any "good deed" done by a corporation is intended ito be noticed by the public so that we will be inclined to be their customer in the future. McDonald's does it too with their Ronald McDonald house, and Tim Hortons with their Timbits hockey sponsorships; ultimately it's all about selling more Big Macs or double-doubles.

Having said that, I would rather see marketing with a charity spin-off than marketing with no charity.

^ just like "Global Service Day"

bleh...

I had an interesting conversation about for profit companies, spedning moneyu on "charity" which really its us paying for the company to do so.

So you give to charity and don't claim a tax deduction?

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Agree with you guys. However corporations ultimately exist to earn profits for their shareholders, so altruism is not part of their mandate. Any "good deed" done by a corporation is intended ito be noticed by the public so that we will be inclined to be their customer in the future. McDonald's does it too with their Ronald McDonald house, and Tim Hortons with their Timbits hockey sponsorships; ultimately it's all about selling more Big Macs or double-doubles.

Having said that, I would rather see marketing with a charity spin-off than marketing with no charity.
    Sure but no one on here says they agree with Tim Horton's or McDonald's either. To me Tim Horton's is worst than McDonald's and WestJet combined for this type of marketing but this is a forum for air and rail hence WestJet gets the criticism.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All corporations are considered evil here in Redmonton.

^ I never said that... I am simply realistic about why corperations do community outreach.

TD didn't just give give money to prides all across Canada... they bought naming rights complete with restrictions of who can and cant participate.

These are as much business deals as they are community outreach which is fine. I simply don't like to pretend they are.

^ I never said that... I am simply realistic about why corperations do community outreach.

TD didn't just give give money to prides all across Canada... they bought naming rights complete with restrictions of who can and cant participate.

These are as much business deals as they are community outreach which is fine. I simply don't like to pretend they are.
    Bought "Pride" naming rights and can decide who can and can't participate? Where is the web link to that information? All I see is the :2014 EDMONTON PRIDE FESTIVAL" and TD are a presenting sponsor. They have no naming rights from what is on the website: http://www.edmontonpride.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All corporations are considered evil here in Redmonton.
    Not at all. But simply acknowledging that they are doing this primarily to increase their profits. Much like their Christmas gift promo. Sure, lots of people got some nice gifts but WestJet got advertising exposure far in excess of what those gifts cost including coverage on news programs across Canada and other countries as well.

The company I work for adopts a family each Christmas, providing them with gifts, new clothes, school supplies, etc. We don't video it and put it up on YouTube because, for us, it's about giving the gifts. We do this through a local social service organization and the recipients don't know who we are and all we have is their first names and ages.

Not Redmonton at all, just aware of things as they are. Good on WestJet for doing this but keep your mind open as to why they did it.

Anti-business Redmontonians on C2E:
    Those horrible bastards at Westjet are at it again with their marketing gimmicks.
    --or--
    Everyone else:

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Anti-business Redmontonians on C2E:
    --or--
    Everyone else:
    Those two motivations aren't mutually exclusive.

C2E Posting Power

[Edit] Comment withdrawn - it didn't add anything meaningful to the discussion.
    Last edited by Doppelganger; 01-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post

You do know it's April 1 ??
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

I want them! Although maybe functioning a little better than they do in the video.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"