Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 46 86929394959697 LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,600 of 9622

Thread: Rogers Place - Arena | Entertainment & Sports Facility | Completed

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The city should not be relying on or directing the public to a third party website to inform them on when public parking restrictions are in place. What's next, snow route parking bans by reviewing historical snowfall amounts on the Weather Network's website?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The city should not be relying on or directing the public to a third party website to inform them on when public parking restrictions are in place. What's next, snow route parking bans by reviewing historical snowfall amounts on the Weather Network's website?
    Given that snow-route bans are city-wide and not tied to a particular private-sector business in a small part of the city, of course not.

The downtown restrictions are quite simply answered by: "If there's an event at Rogers there will be parking restrictions." No need for more bureacracy than that.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Thanks for the link. The city should have something similar, instead of just saying "go check the Roger's website, we're too lazy to be bothered to tell you ourselves even though we'll be happy to ticket you."
    The COE event parking downtown page actually links the Rogers site, with the disclaimer that this tells you the event nights, but actually is just linking the Rogers front page. Even upon searching the Rogers website I'm unsure if there is any single page that summarizes all events on the calendar. It seems broken down into Oilers, Oil Kings, Concerts etc. so that using that link one has to search through.

It really is astounding the COE would false link like that and think that's good enough. They can't be bothered to provide a fool proof link that actually tells people what are event nights but they pretended the link telling people that existed so that they could ticket people for not knowing...

The third party should be invoicing the City for doing their job.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-01-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The third party should be invoicing the City for doing their job.
    If you had actually gone to the link and read it before mouthing off you would have seen that the authors did it for themselves, as people who live and work downtown. It wasn't that many words...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Given that snow-route bans are city-wide and not tied to a particular private-sector business in a small part of the city, of course not.

The downtown restrictions are quite simply answered by: "If there's an event at Rogers there will be parking restrictions." No need for more bureacracy than that.
    Now we see where you're coming from.

"Don't you take one cent from my lawn, now where's my free 6 lane ring rode!"
    Let's make Edmonton better.

If the city wants to invoke specific differential pricing policy incumbent on "Event nights" then its up to the city to provide, or provide reasonable access so someone can find out which are event nights. Not to cop out and provide a link to them which does not provide the requisite information. That the City still has that link standing is laughable. Nobody from COE the whole time has monitored that the link is not to the required information? Or that the disseminated information is not on that Rogers site? Actually its exactly what I've come to expect from the COE.

Nor is it "nanny state'' to provide compliance information, its a reasonable expectation given the specific parameter invoked and that there is a fine should you not comply.

The city invokes the differential pricing policy, the policy should be supported with information that is suitable, so that people can easily comply.

As a challenge to this I think it would be easy to fight one of these tickets citing that the City did not post the requisite information, or link to event nights so that the ticket could be avoided.

Next, note that the non smart phone user has no provided method in which to check. Not even a ph # to rogers place is provided as a source.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-01-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

No that ground is fully claimed by the armchair geniuses...

Now let me guess: if the City takes it over it'll be another target for the kind of mouth-first pole-polishing on every CoE endeavour considered here. Because until I contributed a link to that little page there wasn't a peep about the issue...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

IMO, the City is better off providing a link to the Rogers Place website. Why pay a City employee to keep checking for event updates for a facility for which they do not do the bookings?

On the Rogers Place main page, click on 'Events', then select 'All Events' and it brings up all upcoming events in either a Grid or Calendar view.

Having the City develop its own Roger Place bookings calendar on its own website is needless duplication, and introduces the possibility of error (and potential liability) if the two calendars did not exactly match.

Hey waitaminute, how hard is it to use http://www.rogersplace.com/events/, especially the Calendar? Why should the CoE dupe that? I can see all the days that are going to have restrictions. Hint: they're the rectangles with writing in them. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

No that ground is fully claimed by the armchair geniuses...

Now let me guess: if the City takes it over it'll be another target for the kind of mouth-first pole-polishing on every CoE endeavour considered here. Because until I contributed a link to that little page there wasn't a peep about the issue...
    I actually wasn't disagreeing, for those who wish to converse in reality...

Well... anybody??? Wha???

Oops, I guess I missed the sarcasm. I don't see a rolling-eyes icon.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    IMO, the City is better off providing a link to the Rogers Place website. Why pay a City employee to keep checking for event updates for a facility for which they do not do the bookings?

On the Rogers Place main page, click on 'Events', then select 'All Events' and it brings up all upcoming events in either a Grid or Calendar view.

Having the City develop its own Roger Place bookings calendar on its own website is needless duplication, and introduces the possibility of error (and potential liability) if the two calendars did not exactly match.
    How hard would it be for the COE to actually link the correct resource page on the site and not the front page? Fact of the matter is they didn't even monitor the correct link to the correct page. Next, Rogers doesn't update a lot so one needs to scan through a myriad of events looking for todays event which doesn't show up as a list but as a splash page which has to be loaded to see more events. This not occurring at present as much because its January 9. Check back the same page when its say Jan 30 and you have to load multiple all events pages to get to todays event.. They don't delete events that have already occurred in that month on the Rogers site. Rogers doesn't even have an easily viewable event calendar icon up. That should be the link. Took me minutes of staring at the Rogers place interface to see a small calendar icon. Something my eyes would never spot on a cellphone.

So maybe the City could have consulted with Rogers to have the events information easily available and accessed. Don't know about most people but when I am using a smartphone on its own connection it takes awhile to load pages. More than an annoyance.

Not to mention it would be sensible anyway for Rogers place to have todays event listed first. That should always be the first event you see listed. That's just common sense.

The last bit of common sense being Rogers should be defaulting to Calendar view instead of splash listing view. They even picked the wrong default.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-01-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: edit event calender found

^^ I'm fine with people writing apps on their own, I see logic (and great PR value) in OEG partnering, and meh on the need for the City to participate in the endeavour (they already provide a lot of open data, and might open more of it if requested to accommodate things and I'd be fine.)

My angle though was your argument that the reason for not having City participation was the differentiation of so-called "citywide" versus "small part of it." While I mostly agree with your conclusion, downtowns generally do create much of the image of most cities, while snow routes are of little concern to the carless. Each of us has our point of view, none of ours invalidates anyone else's.

C2E Long Term Contributor

'So maybe the City could have consulted with Rogers to have the events information easily available and accessed.'

Of all things, parking management and traffic plans were some of the most collaborative. Perhaps its execution needs some tweaking, but I can assure you that this is still under review please send comments to 311 or tweet OEG and the City.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The snow clearing was an inane example. Snow being an observable phenomenon, and the city actually puts out alerts on road clearing advisories and no parking advisories through all possible means.

So in that case the city alerting responsibly and effectively.

Again, if the COE REQUIRES people to check if its an EVENT NIGHT then simply link properly and check to see if the linked site is providing that information in an easily assessable way, and not requiring the loading of multiple pages.

I will bring this up at our next meeting.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'So maybe the City could have consulted with Rogers to have the events information easily available and accessed.'

Of all things, parking management and traffic plans were some of the most collaborative. Perhaps its execution needs some tweaking, but I can assure you that this is still under review please send comments to 311 or tweet OEG and the City.
    Thanks Ian, will do. I'm sure there has been some collaboration but external sites often change their webpages, information displayed, and so on. It took minutes of staring at the poor Rogers place website interface on my computer to realize that there was a small unhilited calendar icon. i would never spot that small calendar icon on a smartphone. Surely that should be what the city is linking to..the events calendar. That shouldn't take me to complain about it, that should be the direct link.

just as an addendum people that grew up with computing and seeing webpages all their lives innately develop an understanding of webpage design and see the smallest of symbols, know layouts, how websites operate etc. For those less inclined navigation is more challenging. Conversely I can be 10miles out on a backcountry trail and never need a compass, GPS, anything to know completely where I am at any given time and yet a less experienced hiker, and perhaps less adept at natural wayfinding, would have more trouble navigating..

This is a civic matter. Its parking. Its for all citizens. Not just citizens that have smart phones, are computer proficient etc. That's the trouble with these things, theres zero reflection on that. Information needs to be provided in such a way that everybody understands it, can assess it, in order to comply.

A small calendar icon that looks like a 4 pixel dot on a smartphone is not sufficient for a person trying to figure out how to use epark in the first place to find an event listing calendar..
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-01-2017 at 09:37 PM.

I don't disagree, we want this to be easy.
    www.decl.org

It is appreciated Ian, and on behalf of other users. Thank you for listening.

Listening is step #1.
    www.decl.org

Why should someone have to look at a website to find out what a parking rate will be on a certain night?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Why should someone have to look at a website to find out what a parking rate will be on a certain night?
    A one-click website is the most effective way of communicating the information.

If you disagree, what do you think the best way to disseminate such information would be then?
    Newspaper ad everyday? Information signs as you head into the core? Maybe a phone number with an automated message?

The information should be at the point of purchase.

They added a little metal shelf above each of the urinals so people have a place to put their beers when they pee now.

Thank god.

Super pumped for tonight, our men's league team gets to go watch the OKs and then play our game after theirs.
    www.decl.org

Thank god.

Super pumped for tonight, our men's league team gets to go watch the OKs and then play our game after theirs.
    Do you have a guy named Mitch on your team? Or maybe he's on your opponent lol...

Not on mine, no. I will find him and put him into the boards for you.
    www.decl.org

IanO just took a roughing penalty. What a plug.

update: missed on his shootout attempt. 4th liner at best.
    Last edited by glendroid; 12-01-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Oh f*ck, now Replacement is going to chime in that IOD suxxors and he's known all along and none of us can see it... D'oh!

What a fun night of Oil Kings and then our team getting a chance to go play at Rogers. Warmup, photos, anthem, announcer, music, goal siren, amazing.

We won 5-4SO.

Should have had the breakaway and certainly the SO attempt, new stick That ice was odd to play on, twice as much work to do anything it seemed.

...photos to follow.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by glendroid View Post
    IanO just took a roughing penalty. What a plug.

update: missed on his shootout attempt. 4th liner at best.
    Yup, down to the minors for me... solid hit though, but man I should have had a G.

Thanks to Oilers52 for dropping by the bench to say hi!
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

That sounds so fun!
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Oh it was. We were fortunate to get picked from our league's lottery.
    www.decl.org

Yesterday just happened to stroll past the Hall of Fame room when Todd McLellan was giving his media availability there (the sound from his mic is piped outside), and then just happened to be standing in Ford Hall, could hear the coaches shouting during practice from Rogers Place ice. (Was there to watch the construction of the Greyhound site.) Fun!

www.decl.org

What, are you guys the Habs or something?

Arsenal, but don't get me started on the jersey colours...
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

^ You know the movie Slapshot is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year.

All you need is the Hansens in that lineup

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm putting on the foil coach.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^The guys with the beards needs to be getting their inner Thornton or Burns on. Go big or go home.

Whys that one guy covering his face? Before game or after game picture?

Back to Rogers place. Funniest moment in game last night was someone shouting out after NJ took the lead; "Its way too damned quiet in here" Rink management responded by filling the occasional "in the quietest moments" with loud musical fill muting any such random commentary.

Stranger still to do a tribute to an ex player and then have the piped in music mute most of any fan response. The music fill to my mind is killing some of the atmosphere rather than creating it. Its like crowd noise is dominated by the sound system and the crowd doesn't bother trying to rise above that din.
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-01-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Between the music and the goal horn i firmly believe that they kill an potential atmosphere. Why should the fans make noise if the arena is just going to do it or them?

Does anyone else find the music 2 notches TOO loud.
    www.decl.org

Yes.

For me it depends where I'm sitting. The upper bowl I don't find it loud

Lower bowl is very LOUD

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Between the music and the goal horn i firmly believe that they kill an potential atmosphere. Why should the fans make noise if the arena is just going to do it or them?
    Any Europeans that have been here for games (and there has been many more since the new arena) are basically shocked that the place is devoid of atmosphere. You know, like at Soccer games.

Not sure what it is entirely and in part its the nature of leagues like the NHL, NFL (formerly nickhamed the No Fun League) that its more and more sanitized entertainment. They want the music screechingly loud so nobody can be heard swearing. In Edmonton they were conditioned to having it loud to counter booing (which they no longer have to do)

I think the white noise is considered safe and non offensive. Its essentially about not really allowing any fan expression one way or the other. But its pretty sad that is what Pro Sports has become on this side of the pond.

Absolutely.

Any Europeans that have been here for games (and there has been many more since the new arena) are basically shocked that the place is devoid of atmosphere. You know, like at Soccer games.
    Even in Euro hockey leagues they bring in amazing atmosphere. I encourage everyone to do a quick YouTube of European hockey atmosphere. Flares, smoke, flags, displays, and singing are a normal part of going to the game. Apart from sounding and looking amazing it actually does encourage the players to give that extra bit more knowing that the supporters are also giving it their all. There's more camaraderie between the players and the fans as they push each other towards victory, creating a more exciting and meaningful experience.

I feel like losing for 10 years also has a little to do with the atmosphere. Maybe it was just me but the atmosphere was dwindling at Rexall as well. That being said, maaan Game Present at the Arena seems confused. From the opening, that fancy produced video they made about the Oilers seems to be played to "hype" up the crowd but all it does is put them to sleep, the little snippets they chopped from movies that lead into a cheer during commercial breaks/play stoppages are too complicated, the music and cheer graphics and audio are so odd. Seems unnecessarily complicated. They have a video which is synced to the White Stripes "Seven Nation Army", which would work better at the beginning but they play it during intermission or play stoppages. Just an odd mix and it seems like they do not understand (yet?) how to actually get the crowd going. I work at the Arena during events and games, and there are times where sometimes it's so quiet all you can hear are the players skating and communicating to each other or the music is so loud that's all you can hear.
    "What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality" - Plutarch

Weren't Oilers fans back in the happy 80s known to be a quiet and studious crowd? I remember TV commentators noting on it.

All the speaker-blared noise (once called "production values") is another (old) reason to take a pass at dropping at least $100 for a game. When I can't even say much to my companion between plays (like "did you see how who did what?") because silence is somehow feared, I feel even less compelled to hand over my cash.

Silly old me though, wanting to just watch a hockey game, and not an "experience."

The Coliseum was called the Library sometimes, in those days.

Hockey needs no noise whatever.

But then the NHL has not been hockey for years.

^^
    ^ exactly. Edmonton hockey fans have always been very "no, how about you (the players) give me the reason to cheer."

I understand some people don't like it, but that's how we grew up. I'm happier in that environment because I like focusing on the actual game.

Ok that's fair, I totally understand wanting to watch the game, but if I wanted to just watch the game why would i shell out hundreds of dollars to do it at the arena when i can do it at home? Going to the game is about the experience, and the experience should be something more than it is at home. Shouldn't the fans also encourage the players?

I'm not saying the whole arena needs to be like that, but there should be a section where standing and chanting is encouraged.

Ok that's fair, I totally understand wanting to watch the game, but if I wanted to just watch the game why would i shell out hundreds of dollars to do it at the arena when i can do it at home?
    That's the point at which friends and I stopped being interested in making (m/b)illionaires richer with our money. It's not the crowd noise - Golden Bears games get pretty raucous and that's part of sports - it's the noise padding under the guise of "value added experience" that we don't want to pay for. It's the Harley-Davidson marketing model - if you can't make it good, make it loud. Nowadays big screens and audio systems and DVRs and a couple buddies it's plenty enough of what's worthwhile without what's not, with lots of cash to get good eats and drinks that aren't marked up 150% with a ton of leeway to indulge in all kinds of consumptions.

Thanks though, to all who do shell out!

Ok that's fair, I totally understand wanting to watch the game, but if I wanted to just watch the game why would i shell out hundreds of dollars to do it at the arena when i can do it at home? Going to the game is about the experience, and the experience should be something more than it is at home. Shouldn't the fans also encourage the players?

I'm not saying the whole arena needs to be like that, but there should be a section where standing and chanting is encouraged.
    Going to an event these days, especially concerts, involves dealing with myriad other attendees that don't have the slightest concept of "I'm trying to watch the game." or that people even exist behind them. Made much worse with the advent of smartphones where everybody is either trying to take pictures, selfies, film the game, or lose themselves in surfing/texting while at the game. The latter of which is at least not distracting. lol that the most common sight now at any concert is hundreds of cellphones held way up in the air, high as they can get em, to record the damn show, because they can't see it with all the cameras and arms waving in the air..To the degree where several performers note that the constant flashes, phones pointed at them is distracting and disconcerting. With several performers requesting or requiring that it not occur.

These are not in the moment experiences anymore, its instead a McLuhan nightmare where distraction rules and the smartphone is the message..

Yeah, I stay home more and more.

I would love for this to be the Oilers Rally Cry when we are in a tight situation or down a goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k89u46KD20M

https://youtu.be/k89u46KD20M

Have the Crowd yell WE DO!

First One is Always Free

^ that is really good. I like it.

Just for fun I would also like a tradition where the crowd chants "Calgary Sucks" at some point during the game regardless of who we are playing.

I must admit that Winterfell does remind me of Edmonton.
    Last edited by RicoLance21; 13-01-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Administrator *

Today:

ICE District by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

Terry Jones: Edmonton can boast NHL's best player, but not best ice

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...t-not-best-ice

Having played on it myself, I can honestly say not great... felt like we had skate twice as hard.
    www.decl.org

Having played on it myself, I can honestly say not great... felt like we had skate twice as hard.
    Lucic feels your pain...

zing!
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Saw my first Oilers game in new building sitting in section 219. View which should have been awesome as almost on centre ice but is obscured by the heads of those in the next row who weren't even leaning forward most of the game. Seats felt cramped but thankfully were in the middle of the row so did not have to get up to often to let people pass by. Unfinished concrete floor concourse looking cracked and dirty already. There is much to love about the building but the upper level is a major disappointment IMO.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ I was in the next section recently.

I for one actually didn't mind my seat, the view of the ice was still actually quite good. Quite the steep look-down!

What I didn't like was the concourse area itself - kinda narrow compared to the lower level, and crowded during intermissions. Ridiculous long lines for the men's washroom (2 entrances, 1 washroom) - in fact this is the first I've seen a lineup for men but not for women! I found the area near Sportsnet Lounge less busy so I gravitated towards there during intermissions. And as others have stated, a couple more escalators would have been appreciated. I tried a red Thai curry from Sticks - it was okay, nothing to write home about. A few chair-less tables would have been nice though.

Has anyone been to the Sportsnet Lounge or the Sky Lounge? Curious what these are like.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

'Everything we predicted it would be': Former mayor Mandel lauds Edmonton's Ice District [Rogers Place]

’Downtown was basically a place that people came to have a quick dinner and get out’
    CBC News Posted: Jan 16, 2017 5:05 PM MT Last Updated: Jan 16, 2017 5:05 PM MT

'The naysayers have been proven, I believe, wrong,' says Stephen Mandel 0:47

In the four months since it opened, Edmonton's Ice District [Rogers Place] has lived up to expectations, says former mayor Stephen Mandel.

But the agreement that laid the groundwork for the project didn't come easy, Mandel said during a speech Monday to the Rotary Club of Edmonton at the Chateau Lacombe.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rict-1.3938465

Limit involvement of politicians in negotiating big projects like Rogers Place, former mayor Stephen Mandel says

GORDON KENT
    Published on: January 16, 2017 | Last Updated: January 16, 2017 6:07 PM MST

After spending years leading negotiations to build Rogers Place, former mayor Stephen Mandel says deals for future big civic projects might go faster if politicians were less engaged.

“If you can keep politicians out of it, it can go much quicker. Unfortunately, we get involved and slow things up,” Mandel said Monday following a speech about the new arena to the Rotary Club of Edmonton.

“It’s the nature of the animal … I think government needs to streamline the process it goes through so that business can move ahead and be successful, and not create bureaucracy.”

However, the arena was “a special case,” he said.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...en-mandel-says

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

I for one actually didn't mind my seat, the view of the ice was still actually quite good. Quite the steep look-down!

What I didn't like was the concourse area itself - kinda narrow compared to the lower level, and crowded during intermissions. Ridiculous long lines for the men's washroom (2 entrances, 1 washroom) - in fact this is the first I've seen a lineup for men but not for women! I found the area near Sportsnet Lounge less busy so I gravitated towards there during intermissions. And as others have stated, a couple more escalators would have been appreciated. I tried a red Thai curry from Sticks - it was okay, nothing to write home about. A few chair-less tables would have been nice though.

Has anyone been to the Sportsnet Lounge or the Sky Lounge? Curious what these are like.
    Regarding the second level, it is quite congested and obviously made for the tier 2 fans.

The Sportsnet Lounge is a pretty neat experience. The all inclusive food for me was just a cut above pub-level, but the vibe in the lounge was quite neat, and in between periods they have plenty of comfy sitting areas. The massive seats and cupholders are pretty nice as well. Would I pay the $300 every time? Nope. But once or twice a year I will.
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

SN is great for groups or a more casual experience.

Sky Lounge I am more curious about from a fan perspective.

The 2nd level concourse on the SE corner is horrendous.
    www.decl.org

Having now gone to multiple games in multiple different areas (lower bowl club, lower bowl non-club, upper level (row 3-12). There really isn't a terrible area to watch the game. I know that there are some specific spots with sight-line issues but I haven't had any issues.

Lower Bowl Club is definitely a notch above everything I have sat in, seats are nice and wide and you don't feel cramped.

But the one thing that seems to be a running issue (club or non-club) lower level or upper is the huge lack of washrooms (as mentioned by others).

At Rexall you would run into line ups during intermission/after the game in certain areas, but there was always areas (like club, mezzanine) that were less busy and less crowded for mens washrooms.

At Rogers you encounter a line up at every washroom.. even sometimes mid-period. The washrooms in club are about half the size they should be same with pretty much everywhere else.

Realistically I don't see how this can be rectified given the current layout of the arena. I know a lot of season ticket holders who are furious over the lack of washrooms.

The only other complaint that I would have is the sound level of the sound system. It seems to be about twice as loud as the sound system in Rexall. I do enjoy having loud music etc, but at some points it seems like they could dial it down just a bit. I feel sorry for any small children who are in the lower bowl without ear protection.

^yup... noted and passed on to the group at Rogers.
    www.decl.org

Agreed on the volume, especially during Oil Kings games when the upper bowl isn't in use.

This is pretty much spot on from my experiences as well in multiple locations. I was at the game on Saturday in section 134 and I missed 8 minutes of the second period waiting in line for the washroom.

Like you mentioned, the Club level washrooms are a joke. Luckily our season seats are close to the exit and I can dart to the washrooms during a TV timeout but during the intermission...oh my goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by mcmanus View Post
    Having now gone to multiple games in multiple different areas (lower bowl club, lower bowl non-club, upper level (row 3-12). There really isn't a terrible area to watch the game. I know that there are some specific spots with sight-line issues but I haven't had any issues.

Lower Bowl Club is definitely a notch above everything I have sat in, seats are nice and wide and you don't feel cramped.

But the one thing that seems to be a running issue (club or non-club) lower level or upper is the huge lack of washrooms (as mentioned by others).

At Rexall you would run into line ups during intermission/after the game in certain areas, but there was always areas (like club, mezzanine) that were less busy and less crowded for mens washrooms.

At Rogers you encounter a line up at every washroom.. even sometimes mid-period. The washrooms in club are about half the size they should be same with pretty much everywhere else.

Realistically I don't see how this can be rectified given the current layout of the arena. I know a lot of season ticket holders who are furious over the lack of washrooms.

The only other complaint that I would have is the sound level of the sound system. It seems to be about twice as loud as the sound system in Rexall. I do enjoy having loud music etc, but at some points it seems like they could dial it down just a bit. I feel sorry for any small children who are in the lower bowl without ear protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Sportsnet Club is my favorite offering in the building after sitting in nearly every possible area including box and loge.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I very much agree that the number and size of washrooms in the lower club and upper concourse levels is totally inadequate (obviously Loge and the other premium options don't have the same issues). And I struggle to understand how they screwed that up. That was far and away the biggest issue at Rexall, and from what I've seen, it's basically the same at Rogers. Food/drink service is better and quicker, which is nice. But it's ridiculous that they managed to underestimate the crush loads for washrooms again.

From what I can tell in the lower club sections (I haven't made a point of exploring every nook and cranny), each side has two men's washrooms, each consisting of about half a dozen urinals and three toilets. So essentially there is about 24 urinals and 12 toilets to serve all of the club seats, which must be at least 4-5k people, probably 75% of whom during a hockey game are male. It's asinine.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 17-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Agree with the noise level, it's cranked waaayyy too loud. Some people I know feel i also kills the atmosphere when you're getting blasted with too loud of music all game and drowns everything else out.

Not sure why people are convinced that the washroom shortages, cramped seating experiences etc in upper bowl are a mistake. Everything, including having the entire upper bowl have to go up to the top to leave the building is designed to be less than ideal. Its designed to make one feel like digging deep and shelling out for premium seating options.

Nor is it a new ploy. Anything from trains, airlines, hotels, have experimented with making steerage experience worse in the hope that patrons will splurge the big bucks next time.

This arena seems to offer very little to the average pocketed consumer. Not that this is a surprise. This was always going to be what the new arena is about. That there would be no lineups for washrooms, that there would be increased convenience and amenity throughout the building were lies.

Where is this dream app that was supposed to be telling people what lineups were like for washrooms, concessions etc from the comfort of peoples seats? This was the bold new technology promised with the new arena that would add to user experiences.

I'd be happy with an app that indicated whenever the escalator was breaking down.

Sadly none of these types of things will change. This is the design we are now stuck with. Lots of glitz but very long cramped rows that prevent entry exit even if one could find an available washroom.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    Agree with the noise level, it's cranked waaayyy too loud. Some people I know feel i also kills the atmosphere when you're getting blasted with too loud of music all game and drowns everything else out.
    my own take is two-fold but you're dead on with your conclusion...

firstly, the building was designed and tuned much more for concerts than rexall place so the echos and reverberation generated in the old barn isn't part of the new one. but i don't think that's the biggest reason.

i think the biggest reason the new barn is so quiet is in fact because the new barn is so *&^% loud electronically that you can't hear yourself think, never mind talk to the person beside you or organize some fan noise. there is no way to compete with that so why even try?

if you want the fans to make some noise, you need to give them enough quiet to allow them to fill it without drowning them out every time there is a break or a stoppage in play. if you want to augment the noise levels, do it by amplifying the actual crowd noise to get them more into it, not by drowning it out in 110 decibels of arena rock every chance you get.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    my own take is two-fold but you're dead on with your conclusion...

firstly, the building was designed and tuned much more for concerts than rexall place so the echos and reverberation generated in the old barn isn't part of the new one. but i don't think that's the biggest reason.

i think the biggest reason the new barn is so quiet is in fact because the new barn is so *&^% loud electronically that you can't hear yourself think, never mind talk to the person beside you or organize some fan noise. there is no way to compete with that so why even try?

if you want the fans to make some noise, you need to give them enough quiet to allow them to fill it without drowning them out every time there is a break or a stoppage in play. if you want to augment the noise levels, do it by amplifying the actual crowd noise to get them more into it, not by drowning it out in 110 decibels of arena rock every chance you get.

This is 100% bang on, music isn't played at soccer stadiums, the crowd makes their own music/noise. No need to tell the crowd to make some noise there, they just do it instinctively. When I went to the World Juniors in Prague in 2008 they had two guys in the crowd with a drum that kept the beat and fans going. Half the time at Rogers place half the crowd starts to chant Lets Go Oilers only to be drown out by music, its much easier to get the fans in sync when you have a basic beat.

That filler noise is used to keep people stimulated into thinking they're getting their couple-hundred-bucks worth of "entertainment value." It costs the venue nothing except the bit of extra power for the extra dBs. But it's not a new phenomenon, by a decade or so, nor exclusive to Rogers Place (Honda Centre in Anaheim and AAC in Dallas do it) nor hockey. I've been to the CFR in Rexall to be subjected to 20 seconds of action followed by 5 minutes of being yelled at. The sports big business world has felt the need to pad its product with cheap non-sport crap to justify its high ticket prices and the owners' hefty profits.

But, it's working, because folks are shelling out their cash to keep the (m/b)illionaires afloat for what amounts to the same 60 minutes of hockey as ever.

I also wonder how much of the play-time silence is due to people staring into their laps at their phones.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Railplanes
    music isn't played at soccer stadiums

They're quite different sports. Soccer has virtually no outright stoppages in play. Apples and oranges in that regard.

The music between plays could certainly be dialed back a notch or two. However, as far as the new arena being "quiet", this has happened with basically every new arena in the NHL: complaints that the new arena is way quieter than the old one and has less atmosphere. Because newer arenas have far better acoustic properties, and also tend to be far larger, than the ones they're replacing.

I suppose OEG could copy car manufacturers and start piping in fake crowd/engine noise to make their fancy new arena/turbo-charged engine sound like the old barn/V8.

Within seconds I was able to Google comments on the differences between the new United Center and old Chicago Stadium as an example.

The difference between an old cider block bunker compared to a new arena is astounding, apparently.

Not saying I don't like or miss the old atmosphere but new construction has evolved past the concrete echo chamber.

Not saying yay or nay but it is what it is.

A few years ago "drum guy" disappeared from rexall...what happened to him? Bring him back.

Not the same guy, but the Event Team or Activation Team had a drum guy out in the stands going into OT at a recent game.

Well, that's enough reasons from reasoned posters on here to keep me away from the place. At least I have a 'mute' button on my remote. Just ask Gene Principe.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L
    Not the same guy, but the Event Team or Activation Team had a drum guy out in the stands going into OT at a recent game.

Hunter's been doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L

Hunter's been doing it.
    That works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Railplanes View Post
    This is 100% bang on, music isn't played at soccer stadiums, the crowd makes their own music/noise. No need to tell the crowd to make some noise there, they just do it instinctively. When I went to the World Juniors in Prague in 2008 they had two guys in the crowd with a drum that kept the beat and fans going. Half the time at Rogers place half the crowd starts to chant Lets Go Oilers only to be drown out by music, its much easier to get the fans in sync when you have a basic beat.

Yeah, it would be awesome if hockey fans started bringing Top_Dawg's favorite to the games - the vuvuzela.

I have been in virtually all seating options in Rogers (suite, theatre box, loge, lower bowl, upper bowl and SN club). I currently have season tickets in the first couple rows of the second deck at centre ice. Much of what has been said here is all spot on. The upper bowl is awful, I don't usually agree with Replacement but I will 100% agree here. It feels as if it was planned for people in the upper deck to hate their tickets and want to upgrade them. It's especially frustrating because in Rexall the Exec Terrace (pinks) were some of the best seats in the house.

The bathrooms have been discussed at great lengths and were poorly planned. The music is WAY too loud, and I don't know who the DJ is but playing Skrillex on a Monday night game on full blast is very odd. I understand a Saturday night game at 10:30, but a random Monday night game should have better planned music, pretty simple for any local DJ to understand that.

The premium seating options are obviously great, the suite level has a dessert cart that comes around which is a cool feature. The food in the SN Club is great, when I expected it to be nachos, hot dogs and the like. The lower bowl has great amenity options with the four viewing decks and the Coventry Club for intermissions and after games. I understand that the arena was very geared at the premium ticket options, but I don't think it needed to be at the expense of the upper bowl at such a drastic level. There could have easily been ways to make it not feel so: poor section, rich section. Anyone who has been to both the upper and lower bowl for games will 100% agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Railplanes View Post

Yeah, it would be awesome if hockey fans started bringing Top_Dawg's favorite to the games - the vuvuzela.
    Hey, Dawg! I had my initial outing with my grandson's vuvuzelahhhh at a Moncton Wildcats game over the holidays. Scared the bejeebus outta the PEI team. Didn't stop them from winning, though.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

That must have been funny to watch.

Since the ticket holders in the upper deck are getting so fuqed over, they should all bring these and annoy the pi$$ out of everyone else.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 18-01-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    I have been in virtually all seating options in Rogers (suite, theatre box, loge, lower bowl, upper bowl and SN club). I currently have season tickets in the first couple rows of the second deck at centre ice. Much of what has been said here is all spot on. The upper bowl is awful, I don't usually agree with Replacement but I will 100% agree here. It feels as if it was planned for people in the upper deck to hate their tickets and want to upgrade them. It's especially frustrating because in Rexall the Exec Terrace (pinks) were some of the best seats in the house.

The bathrooms have been discussed at great lengths and were poorly planned. The music is WAY too loud, and I don't know who the DJ is but playing Skrillex on a Monday night game on full blast is very odd. I understand a Saturday night game at 10:30, but a random Monday night game should have better planned music, pretty simple for any local DJ to understand that.

The premium seating options are obviously great, the suite level has a dessert cart that comes around which is a cool feature. The food in the SN Club is great, when I expected it to be nachos, hot dogs and the like. The lower bowl has great amenity options with the four viewing decks and the Coventry Club for intermissions and after games. I understand that the arena was very geared at the premium ticket options, but I don't think it needed to be at the expense of the upper bowl at such a drastic level. There could have easily been ways to make it not feel so: poor section, rich section. Anyone who has been to both the upper and lower bowl for games will 100% agree with this.
    How surprising is it really that an org that classed a large proportion of its own fans as 2nd tier fans would come up with a build and design like this arena? Its all about the arrogance of this org and that if you can't dish out the 100's of bucks just for one seat for one game you don't count. There's absolute avarice building an arena like this in a working class town and getting the COE to front the money.

This was predictable. Soon as I saw the deck layouts for this arena it was clear anything but premium wasn't going to be a great experience.

Now consider that this arena doesn't even offer a 3rd tier and that the 2nd bowl seats are actually expensive. People paying this amount for cramped, tight seats in very long rows, all having to exit up, and with poor access to washrooms.

So much of this arena design is also meant to dissuade upper bowl from using lower bowl facilities. Everything from not being able to go down from seats in upper bowl, to an escalator that takes you to the main floor, to stairways that barricade entry to some levels is designed so that 2nd tier don't even have easy access to the real benefits of the arena.

Note that all this criticism is occurring in the first year of operation and its rare for critique of a facility to be so common early in its operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post

How surprising is it really that an org that classed a large proportion of its own fans as 2nd tier fans would come up with a build and design like this arena? Its all about the arrogance of this org and that if you can't dish out the 100's of bucks just for one seat for one game you don't count. There's absolute avarice building an arena like this in a working class town and getting the COE to front the money.

This was predictable. Soon as I saw the deck layouts for this arena it was clear anything but premium wasn't going to be a great experience.

Now consider that this arena doesn't even offer a 3rd tier and that the 2nd bowl seats are actually expensive. People paying this amount for cramped, tight seats in very long rows, all having to exit up, and with poor access to washrooms.

So much of this arena design is also meant to dissuade upper bowl from using lower bowl facilities. Everything from not being able to go down from seats in upper bowl, to an escalator that takes you to the main floor, to stairways that barricade entry to some levels is designed so that 2nd tier don't even have easy access to the real benefits of the arena.

Note that all this criticism is occurring in the first year of operation and its rare for critique of a facility to be so common early in its operation.
    Hate to say it but everything you're saying is correct. I will be moving my season tickets to the lower bowl b/c of how ****** the upper bowl is and how you cannot get to the different levels in between periods without a real hassle to be honest.

The arena has been an amazing catalyst for downtown and the surrounding development, the premium facilities are top-notch, but the building overall could have been significantly better designed. I didn't mind the loge seats but I know a NUMBER of businesses that hate them. Their perspective is that the loge too, is too high and similar in sight lines to the upper bowl.

Second level is 'steerage'. It's the equivalent of the cheapest deck on a ship. It's 'no frills' that's for sure. Almost an afterthought in the design.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Loge seating seems about right elevation. You think its too high? To me anything from around row 20-30 offers the best views in an arena. Anything lower and the perspective is not ideal to watch a game.

What I can see happening in upcoming years is more and more STH being dissatisfied with upper bowl tickets and those largely being sold. The whole upper bowl is going to end up being largely like the Gallery at Rexall. Mostly tickets bought and sold and with different people attending each night. Can't imagine somebody spending a lot of games in that tight cramped seating with negligible washroom access or facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Second level is 'steerage'. It's the equivalent of the cheapest deck on a ship. It's 'no frills' that's for sure. Almost an afterthought in the design.
    And this wouldn't even be an issue if the tickets were reasonably priced.

^I would be hard pressed even to take a free ticket for that level. Not a nice experience sitting up there.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Loge seating seems about right elevation. You think its too high? To me anything from around row 20-30 offers the best views in an arena. Anything lower and the perspective is not ideal to watch a game.

What I can see happening in upcoming years is more and more STH being dissatisfied with upper bowl tickets and those largely being sold. The whole upper bowl is going to end up being largely like the Gallery at Rexall. Mostly tickets bought and sold and with different people attending each night. Can't imagine somebody spending a lot of games in that tight cramped seating with negligible washroom access or facilities.
    When I was in the loge, I didn't mind them, but I was comparing them to my seats (which I hate). Just repeating what a few guys I know with loge tickets have said. I know other people have commented they like the loge setup, so I think that is more anecdotal.

But I think the upper deck is universally hated, both my casual goers and STHs alike. I just don't understand why the upper bowl had to be designed so ******, I'm not stupid and know the lower bowl would obvoiusly have more amenities but it was almost designed as if to say screw you, you don't deserve to be here and it didn't need to be.

What people should note as well is that the public was essentially given false information. The presentation Center, the Rogers site, all information that was being provided said that there is MORE seat, legroom etc at the new arena in all seating areas than formerly at Rexall. I don't know anybody that has attended the upper bowl at Rogers that believes this configuration represents an increase in seat space.

A reasonable argument could be made that STH didn't get what they paid for in Upper Bowl. What was promised, and what was delivered, is essentially different.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-01-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Rogers was never going to be about better access for the hoi polloi, rather for corporate boxes and premium payers. I don't understand why this is such a surprise now. The cheap seats were a token to give the illusion that Everyman could afford a seat too.

Rogers was never going to be about better access for the hoi polloi, rather for corporate boxes and premium payers. I don't understand why this is such a surprise now. The cheap seats were a token to give the illusion that Everyman could afford a seat too.
    I agree, and I'm not saying I expected it to be priced for the every day person. Just saying they really didn't need to make the upper level that bad.

Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4686929394959697 LastLast