Page 101 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,100 of 10542

Thread: Rogers Place - Arena | Entertainment & Sports Facility | Completed

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    That is a rare captured angle. I'm very curious with what he'll do with that empty lot to the left.
    Nothing. It's Vic Comp's field.

^^ same here.

^ I think we might be discussing the Baccarat block.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I had to look again. I thought this was the lot directly across from the McDonald Lofts.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Loved seeing Molson House packed after the game. The DJ was getting the dance party going about the time I was leaving.

But that reminds me - does the Sky Lounge stay open after a game? Does it open to all ticket-holders afterwards?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Love it pre/post as well...EXCEPT for the speaker placement and volume levels. Annoying and does not add a thing. Finally, could they not have someone simply pouring CDN/Coors instead of waiting for people to order, SO SLOW.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDM
    But that reminds me - does the Sky Lounge stay open after a game? Does it open to all ticket-holders afterwards?

I've been curious about that myself.

^ will try to remember to check that out tomorrow, but frankly I doubt it. Might be open a bit for the ticketholders, but not to the public would be my guess.

I vaguely remember reading that it does stay open after the game (and that that's one of the perks), but only to ticketholders.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At some point in time during the design and construction of the arena the stated plan was that the Sky Lounge would be open after games for anybody to go and enjoy as space permits. If one remembers all the renders of the different arena seating plans it was even stated on there that Sky Lounge would be open after games. It was stated as a lounge people could go to after games/concerts.

Its not curious at all people are expecting this, it was stated to be the case. Now I imagine they're figuring that they don't want any of the 2nd tier riff raff in. Its funny how those realities change once the arena is complete and funded and no carrots are necessary any more to make the Arena build look attractive and irresistible. Earliest renderings also had Sky Paddock which would have been amazing. That is one seating type where I would pay hundreds for the experience of watching a game. Alas, cut out of the plans.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The idea floated was a premium post-game for certain ticket holders, similar to the golds below.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The idea floated was a premium post-game for certain ticket holders, similar to the golds below.
    That's not consistent with the attached commentary of the renders that stated that people could go enjoy the Sky Lounge after the game. There was no differentiation of tier 1 or X fans.

No, this was yet another bait and switch. Suggest one thing on the renders, but not deliver it. The Sports Lounge, throughout this arena debate was one of the attributes that were used to sell this arena and that everybody would be able to take in the amenity and get to enjoy it. What we get post completion is the usual "this isn't for you" nonsense.

Except that its a COE owned facility so maybe the rare blue blood privation doesn't fit. They can screw off with that ****.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

At Rexall everyone in the arena was allowed below after the game in the club seats. Should remain the same for Rogers too. At the prices we pay for tickets and the amount of money they could make after a game selling MORE alcohol, they could make a killing. Doesn't hurt to let us "common" folk enjoy those perks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDM

I've been curious about that myself.
    A couple of guys I know that work in video production told me that the Sky Lounge is open after games to everyone last week. Granted, I haven't confirmed this. Given they work every game though, I would suspect their advice to be usually correct.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    At Rexall everyone in the arena was allowed below after the game in the club seats. Should remain the same for Rogers too. At the prices we pay for tickets and the amount of money they could make after a game selling MORE alcohol, they could make a killing. Doesn't hurt to let us "common" folk enjoy those perks too.
    Really? I know it was open for an hour post-game, but only was able to get there with Club.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Plus as mentioned that its a COE facility that was financed by the city. How dare its operation to even conceive of such attempts at privation in what is a civic build. Sometimes these big wigs don't know where to stop.

The first in person sense of what this arena was going to be like is all the "you can go here, and not here, these areas are all cut off, lower bowl all cut off, lounges all cut off, suites and theaters all cut off, enjoy your look around at what this building offers..."

lol

Road closures for Rogers Place

March 20, 2017

Various lane closures on roads adjacent to Rogers Place will take place from March 21 to 25, 2017, to facilitate the replacement of nine exhaust fans located on the roof.

Road closures:

March 21, 2017: 105 Avenue between 102 Street & 103 Street starting at 10 a.m.

March 22, 2017: 105 Avenue between 102 Street & 103 Street (Expected to reopen by late afternoon).

March 23, 2017: 104 Street just north of 104 Avenue. 104 Street is anticipated to reopen to local traffic at 6 pm. Parking on the west side of the median remains closed until 6 p.m. on March 24, 2017.

March 24 to 25, 2017: 104 Avenue between 104 Street and 103 Street. Complete road closure between the hours of 6:00 p.m. (March 24) to 6:00 a.m. (March 25).

For more information:

edmonton.ca/transportation/current-traffic-disruptions.aspx

Media contact:

Cheryl Mitchell
    Communications Advisor, City of Edmonton
    780-944-0511
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Any word on the cause of the failure of so many of the roof fans? Or the failure to have adequate ice even resembling that which Rexall had for the first quarter century of its operation? We have a skill team but an ice surface where the puck is bouncing like a ping pong ball and where the most skilled players on the planet are invariably just falling down in certain areas of the ice. As usual we still have the around the net and crease ice repairs sometimes requiring stoppages and players seen to be complaining about areas of the ice after finding it hard to get edge to turn around in those areas. Makes for interesting hockey as a defender tries to recover and instead does a face plant. or a guy tries to head man a puck and next thing he knows he's on his back.

The ice has consistently been not good. Really no excuse for this. Especially by regular season game 72 and they already had all of preseason to work out kinks. I think we might have some dullards doing the ice.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Club is open to everyone after the game at Rogers Place, just like it was at Rexall.

Good to know about the Sky Lounge, I'll try to check it out post game next time I'm there

Quote Originally Posted by edm_guy View Post
    Club is open to everyone after the game at Rogers Place, just like it was at Rexall.

Good to know about the Sky Lounge, I'll try to check it out post game next time I'm there
    Club is open after the game but some of the ushers are confused and believe its only open to club ticket holders. I tried to go to the Sky Lounge a couple times earlier this year but said it was not open to the public.

Replacement is also right, a lot of the information previously said that the Sky Lounge would be open to the public, so it's definitely not ideal that they changed that tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Any word on the cause of the failure of so many of the roof fans? Or the failure to have adequate ice even resembling that which Rexall had for the first quarter century of its operation? We have a skill team but an ice surface where the puck is bouncing like a ping pong ball and where the most skilled players on the planet are invariably just falling down in certain areas of the ice. As usual we still have the around the net and crease ice repairs sometimes requiring stoppages and players seen to be complaining about areas of the ice after finding it hard to get edge to turn around in those areas. Makes for interesting hockey as a defender tries to recover and instead does a face plant. or a guy tries to head man a puck and next thing he knows he's on his back.

The ice has consistently been not good. Really no excuse for this. Especially by regular season game 72 and they already had all of preseason to work out kinks. I think we might have some dullards doing the ice.
    It has improved though. Didn't Lucic say it went from a 3 to a 6.5? Not amazing, but at least it has been getting better. I suspect the fans getting replaced will increase it another point or so.

To be fair, the ice sucks across most of the NHL and the increase in multi-use arenas in the 20 years has exacerbated this fact. I doubt there is anywhere in the current NHL where the ice is 9/10 or 10/10.

Does the Coliseum count as a multi-use facility?

Ignorant speculation follows. As I understand it, ice is laid on a concrete slab. I imagine that miniscule deviations from the true horizontal could conceivably affect the top surface of the frozen water. And from what I have seen around town, somehow 1965-1975 era concrete -- in sidewalks, structures, and whatnot -- looks (I repeat, looks) to have better quality than concrete laid before or after. If that is the case, the cause may not be human: perhaps the local concrete makers had access to particularly good raw materials at that time. Perhaps the Coliseum just lucked out, and Rogers Place is just par for the course.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I would think the lack of multiple uses in the early days made for the Coliseum's ice to be amazing. How many concerts came rolling through town back then? I doubt it's anywhere near the number of nights we currently have. The last many years of Rexall's ice was putrid (mainly due to an aging ice plant).

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^One things that's possible is that Rexall Ice, belng laid out significantly under ground, is less subject to deviations in surrounding ground temperature whereas Rogers is more built from ground elevation. The entire lower bowl and ice at Rexall is below grade. This isn't the case with Rogers place. I think it could be a factor.

Another factor could be that a parking lot is located somewhere under the ice, which is not ideal either. As far as I can ascertain the Rogers ice is impacted by temp deviation all around it thus requiring more refrigeration and thus resulting in chippier ice. Speculation, but would seem to be the case.

As far as multi use Rexall held all of the same events. No difference in that regard.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2017 at 03:22 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I would think the lack of multiple uses in the early days made for the Coliseum's ice to be amazing. How many concerts came rolling through town back then? I doubt it's anywhere near the number of nights we currently have. The last many years of Rexall's ice was putrid (mainly due to an aging ice plant).
    Well, your entirely wrong as noodle already demonstrated.

you gotta be kidding with this ****.

The 1970's particularly, were nonstop rolling with touring entertainment of the highest quality. Really an endless supply at that time.

Rexall Place was chronically knocking it out of the ballpark in pollstar numbers ever since. Does your Rogers place shilling not allow you to portray that actual information? Or just your usual ministry of information Rogers place propaganda and that nothing good ever existed before?

"All good things come from Katz. Before Katz, Edmonton was shrouded in darkness. Chaos ruled the nothingness. Into this darkness came Katz, bringer of light, scheduler of concerts, trickler-down-of-economics."
    Last edited by noodle; 20-03-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Had to re-capitalize after the filter took away the ALL CAPS.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Really? I know it was open for an hour post-game, but only was able to get there with Club.
    The ushers were usually too busy to check tickets after the game at Rexall as they were making sure the seats were clean. No one ever asked for your ticket when you went below either.

I think it was pretty quiet about it being open after the game too, just like it seems to be for this Sky Lounge. Would be cool to experience it once or twice, just to see what it's all about.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I am talking about the first few years of the Coliseum, were there concerts every other day? Was the ice perfect from day one or did it take a few years to dial it in? These things take time as there are numerous variables to alter until just the right combination is found.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

He said "early days" - not the last few years (near the end of Rexall's lifespan).

Didn't the number of concerts and non-hockey events INCREASE at Rexall Place in the late-90s? I am certain (but could be mistaken) that the venue didn't get as many concerts for a stretch in the 80s and early 90s as it did the last 20-ish years. (70s were busy, though)
    Last edited by MrOilers; 20-03-2017 at 03:54 PM.

It's not like Rogers Place was constructed in an information vacuum. The ice in Rexall was considered the best in the league at the same time the arena was at its most heavily used:

https://spilledoil.wordpress.com/201...e-ice-is-good/

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

He said "early days" - not the last few years (near the end of Rexall's lifespan).

Didn't the number of concerts and non-hockey events INCREASE at Rexall Place in the late-90s? I am certain (but could be mistaken) that the venue didn't get as many concerts for a stretch in the 80s and early 90s as it did the last 20-ish years. (70s were busy, though)
    Yeah, when it was first built, concert promoters didn't even consider Edmonton. There were really only three cities in Canada that were even considered in the mid 70s. That did change a year or two after opening though.

The concerts increased when EIG took over from Pocklington, because the revenue/rent model changed a lot - no more 2.8/million in rent to Northlands, but rather a dollar. Northlands got back the revenue from all concerts and non-hockey events (including ticket tax). That is also when the city gave Northlands the $2.5 million grant every year to Northlands to make up the loss in rent.

It's not like Rogers Place was constructed in an information vacuum. The ice in Rexall was considered the best in the league at the same time the arena was at its most heavily used:

https://spilledoil.wordpress.com/201...e-ice-is-good/
    Also from that article -

Ruts in the ice at Rexall Place have led to some significant injuries for the Oilers this season: they knocked Whitney out for the season, have cost Vandermeer 15 games with two separate ankle injuries, and sent Gagner flying into the boards a little over a week ago.
    The ice at Rexall was historically good, but it isn't really a secret that ice quality did go down across all places. I think Lucic said he expects ice to get to 8.5 or so. It won't ever be perfect unless they move all concerts back to Rexall and only play hockey at Rogers.
    Last edited by Moodib; 20-03-2017 at 04:15 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Another factor could be that a parking lot is located somewhere under the ice, which is not ideal either. As far as I can ascertain the Rogers ice is impacted by temp deviation all around it thus requiring more refrigeration and thus resulting in chippier ice. Speculation, but would seem to be the case.

The parkade is located under the entire arena. If anything, having a climate controlled parkade underneath it would give them better control. And in one of the "making of videos" they talked about the different layers of concrete and insulation etc. Seemed like they spent a lot of money and thought on making sure that the structure would allow them to make really good ice.

I think the problems they're experiencing are more related to humidity (or lack thereof), ventilation/air movement, and so on. With a large, complex building like this that was slapped together in record time, it can take awhile to get the mechanical systems dialed in properly. Also, a sheet of ice can take weeks if not months to get to where it needs to be quality wise, even if everything else is dialed in. And it can be as much an art as a science, apparently. Hopefully things continue to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers

Yes. Arena concert tours have significantly increased in number and frequency over the past decade or two (it coincided with a massive decline in album sales revenues, meaning artists have to tour more to generate the same revenue). When the Coliseum ice was in it's heyday in the 80's and early 90's, there weren't nearly as many events going on nearly every other day like is the case now. Once that became the norm, the Coliseum's ice quality began to decline. It has been discussed here before, but Rexall's ice quality had declined significantly over the last 10-15 years, whether because of the increased frequency of other events, or failing equipment. I've heard rumors that the ice plant was on it's last legs.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 20-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle

Strange, because this quote comes directly from your own link:

That Edmonton was ranked among the least desirable places to play was not surprising; this on the other hand is very surprising. Ruts in the ice at Rexall Place have led to some significant injuries for the Oilers this season: they knocked Whitney out for the season, have cost Vandermeer 15 games with two separate ankle injuries, and sent Gagner flying into the boards a little over a week ago. From where I sit it is a struggle to rank the ice as anything more than passable, the best in league is a stretch to say the least. Looking at these poll results I can only assume then that most, if not all, of those who voted for the Rexall Place ice either a) felt bad for voting Edmonton as the team they’d least like to play on or b) play in the Eastern Conference and haven’t been here in a while.

Keep in mind, that poll was conducted when inter-conference play was virtually non-existent. Eastern and Western teams only played each other two out of three years (one home, one away). So fully half of the players polled had potentially not even played at Rexall for a year or two.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I blame global warming

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Yes. Arena concert tours have significantly increased in number and frequency over the past decade or two (it coincided with a massive decline in album sales revenues, meaning artists have to tour more to generate the same revenue). When the Coliseum ice was in it's heyday in the 80's and early 90's, there weren't nearly as many events going on nearly every other day like is the case now. Once that became the norm, the Coliseum's ice quality began to decline. It has been discussed here before, but Rexall's ice quality had declined significantly over the last 10-15 years, whether because of the increased frequency of other events, or failing equipment. I've heard rumors that the ice plant was on it's last legs.
    Some other likely factors in play with increase in gigs at the old arena, carried over to new arena:
    • Big mid-90s gigs at Commonwealth by the Stones, U2 and Pink Floyd demonstrated that Edmonton was a huge concert draw in Canada, not just the Big 3 Cities
    • Population increases in Alberta
    • Improving economy in late 90s, so higher disposable incomes
    • Advances in stage technology - video displays, lights, effects - made the Saddledome in Calgary unusable for many touring acts so they choose Edmonton and draw in the whole province
    • 60 cent Canadian dollar during the late 90s and early 2000s prompted more Canadian tours
    • Dominance of Live Nation and the like seems to be in Edmonton's favor

As for the ice quality, here's the NHL's ice guru (and former Rexall Place employee) Dan Craig:
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/11/1...e-rogers-place
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

never had an usher stop me from going down to club level after a game. have been about 5 times now.

So, as posted in the Oilers thread:

The Skylounge is open to all patrons after-event on Fridays and Saturdays.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

SBJ/SBD@sbjsbd
    Congratulations to the #SBJAwards nominees for Sports Facility of the Year!

See the complete list: http://sbjsbd.biz/2n6OGWc
    https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/844292534616522752

Looks like they are working on the exhaust fans. Replacing them with a bigger fan?

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Looks like they are working on the exhaust fans. Replacing them with a bigger fan?
    Shouldn't be bigger units. I heard the operating pressures were well below what should have been so they could not achieve proper performance. Also with blade failure I believe required upgraded products.

Mind you that's coming from a friend of a friends friend.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Some other likely factors in play with increase in gigs at the old arena, carried over to new arena:
    • Big mid-90s gigs at Commonwealth by the Stones, U2 and Pink Floyd demonstrated that Edmonton was a huge concert draw in Canada, not just the Big 3 Cities
    • Population increases in Alberta
    • Improving economy in late 90s, so higher disposable incomes
    • Advances in stage technology - video displays, lights, effects - made the Saddledome in Calgary unusable for many touring acts so they choose Edmonton and draw in the whole province
    • 60 cent Canadian dollar during the late 90s and early 2000s prompted more Canadian tours
    • Dominance of Live Nation and the like seems to be in Edmonton's favor

As for the ice quality, here's the NHL's ice guru (and former Rexall Place employee) Dan Craig:
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/11/1...e-rogers-place
    As far as Commonwealth this had already occurred in the 80's. The biggest tour in the world, Bowies Serious moonlight tour stopped here in 83. Back up, if you can believe it the magical Peter Gabriel. Still ranks as the best show I've ever seen. What a 1,2 punch. Bowie also played Commonwealth on his Glass Spider Tour. Both of these touring shows were huge and actually set the bar higher for what touring productions would subsequently be. Not too coincidentally those tours happened here due to The two Rock Circus shows at Commonwealth and particularly the show featuring the Ian Hunter band w Mick Ronson, which was the Welcome to the Club (great) concert tour. Hunter and Ronson recommended that Bowie come to Edmonton without which its likely that other big acts like Genesis, Pink Floyd, Stones U2 would not necessarily have had Edmonton, or Commonwealth Stadium on its tour radar. You were off a whole decade on when Commonwealth started to draw huge acts.

In anycase your theory is absolutely out to lunch. The Eagles, for crying out loud, who were not even on tour did a two night stop here late 70's stopping only in Edmonton (Rexall) because they got 1M to do it. This was the Eagles with Joe Walsh and at the height of their popularity. They were the biggest selling act in the world. Fleetwood Mac toured here on their biggest tours and again in 79 during their best ever live tour.

Procul Harum recorded a live album here. Moody Blues recorded live here. Yes did a 2 for 1 show live recording of Video and live album 9012live, all recorded in Edmonton. All this happening LONG before you figured Edmonton ws on the map.

Led Zep did 2 shows here in 69, (Edmonton gardens haha) Queen toured here multiple times and the first time at Kinsmen Field House of all places. I was at all of those shows except the zep shows. Alas, too young.

Edmonton has always been on a concert map.

Indeep Perryscope Concert productions which were formerly involved in a lot of NA concert tours had a lot of Edmonton ties at the time. I was lucky enough to know some of them.

Indeed Perryscope, and the related Concert Productions international were involved in bringing all those big stadium tours here.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-03-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Shouldn't be bigger units. I heard the operating pressures were well below what should have been so they could not achieve proper performance. Also with blade failure I believe required upgraded products.

Mind you that's coming from a friend of a friends friend.
    Air handling units were undersized, so yes, new ones are bigger. Blade failure was apparently due to the undersized units being pushed too hard. My source is first-hand, but I have no direct knowledge.

The feeds show the new fans and they are 2x the size.

And great pics Hilman. Is that one of those games can you spot the dfference?

I saw the crane on 104 st today and the new fans do look huge. They were on the ground next to Rogers.

Did that crane look white as I was at Royal Alex around 9:00 am this morning and saw it extended up with a blue rectangle cage box like object suspending above Rogers- or appeared to be above Rogers.

Side view with both previous and the new fans...

Wow, they are much much bigger. Also, much much more prominent now, lol.

At least they distract the eye from the stained, buckled, and shifting stainless all over the arena. The next attempt at this kind of finish somewhere else on earth will benefit from our efforts through lessons learned.

Would have been nice if they were painted white.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I sat in section 234 last night and I don't know for sure, but it felt like I was right beneath a massive industrial fan.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Not too many arenas can boast of having a neon museum next door.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3715/3...6e5303dd_c.jpg

By me...

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Not too many arenas can boast of having a neon museum next door.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3715/3...6e5303dd_c.jpg

By me...
    While I like that little strip, Vegas will definitely have us beat on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    While I like that little strip, Vegas will definitely have us beat on that one.
    In terms of total sign wattage yes. But these neon signs are pretty significant in terms of local history and certainly in the breadth of businesses represented. Plus modern signage are not neon.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 27-03-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Vegas has a pretty world renowned neon museum, though it is about 7 miles away from the T-Mobile Arena & not "next door".

Great photos norwoodguy.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I sat in section 234 last night and I don't know for sure, but it felt like I was right beneath a massive industrial fan.
    I'm glad they didn't jack those suckers full tilt, then. You might've been sucked right outta there.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Terrific shot, norwoodguy!

Absurdly and it comments that Rogers' sign.

Sorry, that was suppose to be " absolutely" but got changed even after proof reading.

^Also 'compliments' not comments.

You can also use the edit button instead of replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Actually,"complements"
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Ha. You're absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post

You can also use the edit button instead of replying.
    Thank you! I did typed compliment. My phone has occasionally acted up after yahoo mail was hacked in which I have an account with them. It is really weird like someone actually knows what I'm typing and alters it on me as soon as I enter my comment.

It does not seem to allow me to do that on my phone. At home yes. I'm just waiting for the Note 8 to come out before I change it which should be right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Sorry, that was suppose to be " absolutely" but got changed even after proof reading.
    Thanks everyone, I'm sure that I'm not the first person to take such shots of Rogers Place.

I kind of think "absurdly" has a nice ring to it.

Way better than my potato phone!
    www.decl.org

Lumineers last night at Rogers. Acoustics were fantastic. Downtown was as busy as I have ever seen it.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Lumineers, leading the cult of mediocrity, a title inherited from Mumford and Sons. I doubt I could stay awake for 3 songs in their set. Or even distinguish them through the boring strumming and spoken word mundane lyrics. Ho hey, ho hey, oh no..

That bands like this have risen to play places like Rogers Place is kind of a signpost of how hard up the music industry is for something to trump.

Pretty soon in idiocracy world music will consist of someone strumming a strings broken banjo with plastic pail tub thumping. It will be seen as the purest music ever in its simplicity. The hit song will be; 'I be tub drumming" with a whisk to make it sound artsy..

I feel guilty for actually liking Fleet Foxes years ago. Did they start all this?
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Lumineers last night at Rogers. Acoustics were fantastic. Downtown was as busy as I have ever seen it.
    Very cool! It was a nice warm day; I bet there were people on patios beforehand.

Couldn't agree more. You couldn't pay me to see these guys.

I would have gone if I had free tickets. I really want to see Kaleo, but can't bring myself to pay to see an opening set. That said, Replacement is over the top in his criticism. It didn't help that he made an Idiocracy​ reference that completely missed the target.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    I would have gone if I had free tickets. I really want to see Kaleo, but can't bring myself to pay to see an opening set. That said, Replacement is over the top in his criticism. It didn't help that he made an Idiocracy​ reference that completely missed the target.
    Agreed. Although the Lunineers aren't exactly my fav, they clearly have their fans. I would have gone if someone had given me a ticket... but I would do the same for a lot of music not in my top 599 favourite groups. Sounds like everyone who went LOVED the show, so why does anyone need to take a big steaming dump all over their great evening? Pretty low and douchey. If you just want to say you're not a fan and you don't care for their music, that's fine.

What's the next big show coming into town? I could look it up, but I would prefer to change the subject completely.

Plato Quotes. Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Agreed. Although the Lunineers aren't exactly my fav, they clearly have their fans. I would have gone if someone had given me a ticket... but I would do the same for a lot of music not in my top 599 favourite groups. Sounds like everyone who went LOVED the show,so why does anyone need to take a big steaming dump all over their great evening? Pretty low and douchey. If you just want to say you're not a fan and you don't care for their music, that's fine.

What's the next big show coming into town? I could look it up, but I would prefer to change the subject completely.

So you talked to everyone who went to the show and did a survey.

Because its the Internet, and believe it or not, there are other opinions out there regarding taste in music. So by your theory...if you don't like my band, please don't criticize my taste in bands or music...got it lol.
    Last edited by Black Star; 01-04-2017 at 07:11 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Agreed. Although the Lunineers aren't exactly my fav, they clearly have their fans. I would have gone if someone had given me a ticket... but I would do the same for a lot of music not in my top 599 favourite groups. Sounds like everyone who went LOVED the show, so why does anyone need to take a big steaming dump all over their great evening? Pretty low and douchey. If you just want to say you're not a fan and you don't care for their music, that's fine.

My response was to Ian citing how fantastic the acoustics were for the Lumineers. The post did not occur in isolation. Ask yourself how difficult the sound setup would be for a Lumineers concert. This isn't exactly Radiohead on tour..

Myself, I would think what is douchey is posters outright saying something is pretty low and douchey. ymmv, although I don't know how.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-04-2017 at 08:15 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Agreed. Although the Lunineers aren't exactly my fav, they clearly have their fans. I would have gone if someone had given me a ticket... but I would do the same for a lot of music not in my top 599 favourite groups. Sounds like everyone who went LOVED the show,so why does anyone need to take a big steaming dump all over their great evening? Pretty low and douchey. If you just want to say you're not a fan and you don't care for their music, that's fine.

Because its the Internet, and believe it or not, there are other opinions out there regarding taste in music. So by your theory...if you don't like my band, please don't criticize my taste in bands or music...got it lol.
    Everyone is apparently Ian.

Although on this board sometimes it seems so. Those perusing the board for any length of time know Ian tells us what he had for breakfast lunch and dinner, where he goes on holidays, what car he drives, what he's listening to in it etc. So the read thru of the post is not just Ian wanting to update on Rexall. He's just wanting to tell us he went to see Lumineers. As if he just went to see the Beatles backed up by the Rolling Stones and just had to tell us about it. I'm sure it was hipster magic.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Plato Quotes. Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
    C^Just in case you missed it.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Very cool! It was a nice warm day; I bet there were people on patios beforehand.
    As I walked to the concert.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

My response was to Ian citing how fantastic the acoustics were for the Lumineers. The post did not occur in isolation. Ask yourself how difficult the sound setup would be for a Lumineers concert. This isn't exactly Radiohead on tour..

Myself, I would think what is douchey is posters outright saying something is pretty low and douchey. ymmv, although I don't know how.
    Wow dude, what's in your cereal today.

I am not a big fan of them, but was invited and thought the initial band was solid, Kaleo underwhelming but the Lumens quite good and certainly a concert I was not thinking that I would have enjoyed given their music and the venue but it was a solid night.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow dude, what's in your cereal today.

I am not a big fan of them, but was invited and thought the initial band was solid, Kaleo underwhelming but the Lumens quite good and certainly a concert I was not thinking that I would have enjoyed given their music and the venue but it was a solid night.
    Just razzing, thought it was funny. Lumineers probably have as many critics as any pop band out there. By their own admission they aren't much as musicians and anybody could play and write their music such that it is. Its quite amazing, not in a good way, for the music industry, that this is the type of act now seeing arena play.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Funny, I thought you were saying it to yourself being that you have nothing to say. Thus I was just ignoring your foolishness.

Certainly you must realize the irony of pulling that quote in your next to no content posts.

At least I hope you were shooting for irony.

The dozen or so people I know who went on FB seemed to have enjoyed their night. The concert reviews were all pretty solid. Again, not my favourite musical group but 20,000 other people paid money and I'm sure the vast majority of them enjoyed their night.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The dozen or so people I know who went on FB seemed to have enjoyed their night. The concert reviews were all pretty solid. Again, not my favourite musical group but 20,000 other people paid money and I'm sure the vast majority of them enjoyed their night.
    How would you know the attendance was 20K? They got 9K in Winnipeg in a preceding show in the same week. They are getting good sales in Vancouver but that's as BACKING act for Tom Petty.

PS, I also realize from pollstar and other numbers that they have been doing better sales lately but this is an act that is only just figuring out how to draw in big arena shows. Edmonton is a hot market for concerts so I could be surprised but no numbers were released for the Edmonton show from what I've seen.

Another previous show on the tour only got 10K. That was W Andrew Bird. This is a standard mixed review of the show btw.

http://www.startribune.com/lumineers...y/411292185/#1

Older reviews from previous tours are almost uniformly that they are boring, maudln, etc. Maybe they've made some critical adjustments.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-04-2017 at 06:52 AM.

How would you know the attendance was 20K? They got 9K in Winnipeg in a preceding show in the same week. They are getting good sales in Vancouver but that's as BACKING act for Tom Petty.

PS, I also realize from pollstar and other numbers that they have been doing better sales lately but this is an act that is only just figuring out how to draw in big arena shows. Edmonton is a hot market for concerts so I could be surprised but no numbers were released for the Edmonton show from what I've seen.
    It was out there 2-3 months ago that the only venue the Lumineers were drawing better at was MSG. I don't have a link to cite this with but I remember either reading or hearing it.

Lumineers aren't my cup of tea either but I'd rather see these shows than not especially when it's a successful draw.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post

It was out there 2-3 months ago that the only venue the Lumineers were drawing better at was MSG. I don't have a link to cite this with but I remember either reading or hearing it.

Lumineers aren't my cup of tea either but I'd rather see these shows than not especially when it's a successful draw.
    Thanks. Edmonton is a really solid concert market as we consistently demonstrate. Edmonton shows are routinely better selling than other stops on tours. Hopefully the entire concert industry is taking notice. Would like to see a wider range of shows stopping here and theres still some that seem not to come.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The proof was in their stomperific, strumtacular show at Rogers Place on Friday night. It was puzzling to see some 14,000 hip young fans get so excited over what is basically folk music with a much louder kick drum than you’d ever hear at the folk fest. The cheers were deafening. You won’t see this many people go so mad over a guy in a hat this side of Garth Brooks.
    http://www.gigcity.ca/2017/04/01/rev...t-up-edmonton/

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hopefully the entire concert industry is taking notice. Would like to see a wider range of shows stopping here and theres still some that seem not to come.
    The music industry already knows, and it has for a long time. There are not a lot of the "big" North American tours that don't have Edmonton on the schedule.

Edmonton also has one of the highest merch $ per ticket in the world.

The hurdle that will always remain is tour routing for mid-level tours. Vancouver is traditionally a low revenue spot for most tours (especially rock), so it can be tough to make the kind of cash that justifies crossing the border

Funny, I thought you were saying it to yourself being that you have nothing to say. Thus I was just ignoring your foolishness.

Certainly you must realize the irony of pulling that quote in your next to no content posts.

i was hoping you would take a hint and stop making a fool of yourself. So much for subtlety.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

i was hoping you would take a hint and stop making a fool of yourself. So much for subtlety.
    Well conversely you're being ironic yourself which I was thinking you would recognize.

What do you think Plato would say about 100% of the posts on a messageboard, or online in social media? Or did you not think it through that far?

Your intent isn't to invoke or further wisdom, it isn't to be helpful, which obviously you've confirmed. Nor was your intent subtle, it was to be rude. You're also a liar.

Your attempt is tired one upmanship using quotes. Without which you wouldn't know what to say.

Question. Would you initiate quoting Plato(what an exaggerated bravado in itself demonstrated there) in public while looking down at others (while engaging in the same action yourself)? Or is this just the online mannerism?
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks. Edmonton is a really solid concert market as we consistently demonstrate. Edmonton shows are routinely better selling than other stops on tours. Hopefully the entire concert industry is taking notice. Would like to see a wider range of shows stopping here and theres still some that seem not to come.
    Yes. This we can agree on. I was just saying 20,000 cause I know the arena can hold approx. that many for concerts. It was a random number. Again, not my cup of tea but the people who went for the most part really enjoyed the show. I am glad to have them play here and so many others. With our range of venues and entertainment options, Edmonton has the potential to become a tourist destination in the coming years. I hope we as a city can continue to make progress like we have seen recently. Metallica at Commonwealth is another one that I normally wouldn't want to attend; but if that venue fills up, that's a lot of people. Like Replacement says, hopefully those in the industry are keeping tabs on what we offer here and bring more smaller and large scale productions to town.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes. This we can agree on. I was just saying 20,000 cause I know the arena can hold approx. that many for concerts. It was a random number. Again, not my cup of tea but the people who went for the most part really enjoyed the show. I am glad to have them play here and so many others. With our range of venues and entertainment options, Edmonton has the potential to become a tourist destination in the coming years. I hope we as a city can continue to make progress like we have seen recently. Metallica at Commonwealth is another one that I normally wouldn't want to attend; but if that venue fills up, that's a lot of people. Like Replacement says, hopefully those in the industry are keeping tabs on what we offer here and bring more smaller and large scale productions to town.
    The Metallica 50K tickets sold out immediately. All that is left is the special experience tickets that go anywhere from 400-3K to meet the band, get special things, and such. Impressively, as I had mentioned earlier in the thread Edmonton sold this show out while tickets still remained for sale in most other venues. Edmonton has always been a real hot market for events tickets. The demographic basis and industrial based economy make it so. Been like that even as far back as the old Edmonton Gardens.

C2E Posting Power

Bring more productions to town? What productions aren't we getting? U2's 30th Joshua is the only tour I can think of that we aren't, but is 90per cent of NA not getting the tour. Maybe Adele? Ask Replacment - he'll know....he knows everything....especially when it comes to Mariah Carey.....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What I've seen my entire life at ticketmaster or sonkick tour listings..

Radiohead is not playing near you...

just as an example

Bob Dylan would have fit that mode as well but is indicative of some change in the more selective acts and artists coming here.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-04-2017 at 12:34 PM.

We are getting a very diverse group of acts coming the next little while. Just to a name a few off top of my head:

Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Poison/Def Leppard, Metallica, Coldplay, Mariah Carey, Nickleback etc.

Between that eclectic mix, there has to be something for everyone. We are definitely becoming a huge concert destination. I know Replacement says we always have been, but the sheer number of shows has gone up with the opening of Rogers Place. Some of the above acts have two shows, Rogers Place will be a very busy arena and in my opinion OEG has lived up to their claims that they would be bringing many acts to Edmonton.

This is as "eclectic" as the lineup any commercial radio station uses to keep the ads from running together.

Good for OEG to be pulling the acts in, though Edmonton has been to my mind unusually blessed in the acts that have come through this alleged podunk backwater in my half-century and from stories old(er)-timers have told me. I suspect that's more the smell of easy (oil) money for tickets and merch than any elite artistic appreciation that Edmonton is perceived to have as far as arena acts go, though I've had plenty of fortune to see much smaller acts (like at The Yardbird and Starlite and other long-dead small venues) usually later in the artists' careers when the festival and booking circuit became firmly established.

Is it just the New Shiny of Rogers the draw for these acts or is Rogers a notably better barn to play in than Northlands? Better for the non-music parts of a show?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Musical acts will play anywhere where they will draw a big paying crowd. Doesn't matter if it's a farmer's field filled with 100,000 dirty hippies or if it's the O2 in London.

Can't we just celebrate getting a good diversity of concerts? Jebus.
    www.decl.org

Can't we just celebrate getting a good diversity of concerts? Jebus.
    No Sh*t.

Page 101 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast