Thread: 10432 - Jasper Ave | Repurposing

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default 10432 - Jasper Ave | Repurposing

Job No 145988364-001: To construct additions and interior and exterior alterations to an existing commercial building and to change the Use from Professional, Financial, and Office Support Services to a Restaurant with 235 sqm of Public Space (expanding the second floor; adding a third floor and rooftop patio; developing an at-grade patio; reconfiguring interior layout; reconfiguring exterior of building - all sides).
    10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.

DOWNTOWN
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Job No 145988364-001: To construct additions and interior and exterior alterations to an existing commercial building and to change the Use from Professional, Financial, and Office Support Services to a Restaurant with 235 sqm of Public Space (expanding the second floor; adding a third floor and rooftop patio; developing an at-grade patio; reconfiguring interior layout; reconfiguring exterior of building - all sides).
    10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.

DOWNTOWN
    Yay...about time something's being done with that skinny little building next to Sobeys.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Partially Addicted to C2E

10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.

DOWNTOWN
    i'd say this is "the right" use. likely dub purchased the building?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jdk13 View Post
    10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.

DOWNTOWN
    i'd say this is "the right" use. likely dub purchased the building?
    Go Dub! Amazing the amount of work this guy has put into downtown.

Would love to see a huge patio on the west side spilling onto the park

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

Holy crap that's awesome. Excited to see what he does with this space! Will be great for the park and 104th and jasper. Gene Dub keeps on stepping up to the plate!

The folks at Sobeys must be furious though. IIRC they wanted to buy and knock down that building so that they could build a bigger store with a west entrance from the park, but the law firm who owned that that little building either said no or asked for too much coin.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

....too much coin.... far too much.

alas.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

law firm lost out on their gamble
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

highlander

And the city wins. Whatever Dub does here will be better than another 10' of sobeys.
    Little 'uneconomic' buildings add lots of character and make places awesome.

Very cool. It'd be nice if that alley connecting 104th and the park could be improved to provided more continuity...
    -Remove that hill/walkway area
    -Make the whole space between at even grade
    -Replace it with the same sort of curbless street like on 104th that can accommodate the pedestrians and cars in the alley
    -Get rid of that bench that creates a bottleneck into the entrance of the park from the northeast
    Go down a few dark alleys.

10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.
    DOWNTOWN
    Exceptional location with at-grade patio is interesting. I wonder how much if any of the surface area we now see is part of property and whether the new Owner (possibly Dub's <Seven Oaks?>) already has some informal support for use of the park for the patio area.

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    Very cool. It'd be nice if that alley connecting 104th and the park could be improved to provided more continuity...
    -Remove that hill/walkway area
    -Make the whole space between at even grade
    -Replace it with the same sort of curbless street like on 104th that can accommodate the pedestrians and cars in the alley
    -Get rid of that bench that creates a bottleneck into the entrance of the park from the northeast
    I agree. As is stands now it is not a safe passage way late in the evening. More visibility is warranted.

Dub - awesomizing Edmonton's nooks and crannies one bit at a time.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.

DOWNTOWN
    Money! Can't wait to see what this looks like. I know that Dub isn't the owner of this property.

Default 10432 - Jasper Ave | Repurposing

Big changes ahead for tiny office building on Jasper

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...180/story.html

EDMONTON - At less than four metres wide, the office building at 104th Street and Jasper Avenue is one of downtown Edmonton’s skinniest commercial buildings.

But if it is redeveloped into a restaurant with street-level and rooftop patios, it could enliven its surroundings in a big way, says owner Zoeb Dungarwalla.

The two-storey, 500-square-metre property sits on a narrow, rectangular site sandwiched by Cecil Place, which houses a Sobeys food store and office space, and Beaver Hills House park.

The building, which formerly housed a law firm, fronts Jasper Avenue and sits steps away from the increasingly trendy commercial and residential strip of 104th Street.

“Our purpose is to make it more attractive for the park as well as the area,” Dungarwalla said. “It’s a prime part of downtown. We’ve got a great opportunity to create something beautiful and incorporate the park and make it more vibrant and attractive for everyone that comes downtown.
    “If you drive down Jasper Avenue today, there are a lot of blank spots. There are certain pockets that are thriving, but I think this part of downtown could do with that same injection of life that other parts of Jasper have seen.”

Dungarwalla stressed that the project is still in early stages. Dub Architects is drawing up plans and no restaurant operator has been named.

Super duper
    www.decl.org

Dub dubba dub dub!
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Great location for a restaurant/pub. Street-level patio away from traffic. That, and a rooftop patio are a great way for there to be more eyes and ears looking out on the park later in the evenings.

Talk about West exposure - patio, roof top and possibly on the 3rd floor he mentions. Sun worshipers will like that.

Long narrow pubs: http://beerlens.com/2012/02/27/three...w-london-pubs/

http://beerlens.com/2011/05/11/golde...ndon-interior/

I see the Owner is one of the 2 owners of Cavern and has other business interests.

C2E SME

This is great to hear. I hope a really nice restaurant moves there. This could potentially add a whole lot to the area.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Nice restaurant with a nice more high end lounge space. Lots of beers on tap, lots of whiskey's/bourbon/scotch's available, good selection of vodka. Open later. Would be great for the area and that park. The later night patrons will keep a good presence around that park which after dark gets scary. I'm fine walking through it at any time, but none of my female friends even in a group of 3 or 4 feel safe near it after 9 or 10pm.

This is such a funky little building. And like EdmTrekker said, the sun worshipers will be all over this roof top patio!

Would love to see something like Common mixed with Cavern move into there. Business lunches with post work professionals and a good place for anyone working or visiting downtown to go in the evenings. A good wine and beer selection, but not 100 taps... selected drinks with enough of a selection to satisfy a diverse group. Casual but slightly upscale in food offerings, but a few light fares for lunch and weekends so people do not feel obliged to spend a lot of be dressed all of the time.

This would really activate the park and be a fantastic patio.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IdriveaSubaru View Post
    Nice restaurant with a nice more high end lounge space. Lots of beers on tap, lots of whiskey's/bourbon/scotch's available, good selection of vodka. Open later. Would be great for the area and that park. The later night patrons will keep a good presence around that park which after dark gets scary. I'm fine walking through it at any time, but none of my female friends even in a group of 3 or 4 feel safe near it after 9 or 10pm.

This is such a funky little building. And like EdmTrekker said, the sun worshipers will be all over this roof top patio!
    And gin. Don't forget the gin.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

The restaurant/patio is a good first step. We have a shortage of west facing patios here. As I was saying earlier, fix this alley, and continue it as an offshoot of 104th street. Throw in some farmer market booths, add some patio furniture, remove the impediments at the entrance to the park. Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Would love to see something like Common mixed with Cavern move into there. Business lunches with post work professionals and a good place for anyone working or visiting downtown to go in the evenings. A good wine and beer selection, but not 100 taps... selected drinks with enough of a selection to satisfy a diverse group. Casual but slightly upscale in food offerings, but a few light fares for lunch and weekends so people do not feel obliged to spend a lot of be dressed all of the time.

Shut your damn mouth Ian... it should be illegal to have less than 50 taps. Storage here will be an issue - cooler, freezer, sundry, all of it.

Does this place have a basement?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I may be mistaken, but wasn't the Tivoli Gardens restaurant in this location in the early 80's?

Totally agree, mnugent, that was high on my list of great things that can come from this. That alley should be a fully interactive pedestrian area. All alleys adjacent to 104st should be fully interactive in the future; utilize all area possible.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

As much as I would hate to loose Elm Cafe...... this would be a great spot for him and an expanded operation.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ... That alley should be a fully interactive pedestrian area. All alleys adjacent to 104st should be fully interactive in the future; utilize all area possible.
    A good, cheap start would be - tear down that rotting fence and jackhammer the bejeebuz outta that curb.

Oh - and get rid of that fence and gate entering Beaver Hills House Park.
    ... gobsmacked

Keep in mind that pocket park between Icon and Sobeys is going to be redone.
    www.decl.org

Indeed Tivoli was. I believe there is some basement. Sherlocks trucks kegs UP the back stairs on the backs of some husky guys. Should be no issue getting full ones down...

I would prefer a long bar pub than a wine bar/lounge. If you want people to come en masse you need a comfortable place - not one you need to play Mr. Dress Up.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 13-11-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Can you imagine the patio that could spill into the park space
    WOW

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I would prefer a long bar pub than a wine bar/lounge. If you want people to come en masse you need a comfortable place - not one you need to play Mr. Dress Up.
    There aren't a lot of places that caters to the upscale crowd, we already have enough places geared towards Joe Trucknuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    WOW
    Exactly w-o-w.

That'd be a place that would drain my pockets. Sun, people, babbling brook and waterfall...

Must_stop
    ... gobsmacked

A long bar serving beer doesn't have to cater to Joe Trucknuts. I really enjoy Underground, and it's 99% Trucknut free. Trucknutters hang out at Pint and drink Bud.

Owned by Zoeb Dungarwalla of Cavern ?

Have you seen any plans for this?

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

There aren't a lot of places that caters to the upscale crowd, we already have enough places geared towards Joe Trucknuts.
    ^
    THIS.

If I have to see anymore new pubs open, I'm going to rip my hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    WOW
    That sells ICE CREAM!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    Have you seen any plans for this?
    There have been some with alley of light etc... they are out there.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

^
    THIS.

If I have to see anymore new pubs open, I'm going to rip my hair out.
    Any more twisted kilt o2 the pints and I am going to puke up a lung..

And yes we do need more upscale places.

Addicted to C2E

Great news! Hope it will be an independent business and not a chain (won't mind Sugarbowl opening a downtown branch though )!
    Btw, is this the narrowest building in Edmonton? I haven't seen anything narrower (except the Sam Kee in Vancouver Chinatown).

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    A long bar serving beer doesn't have to cater to Joe Trucknuts. I really enjoy Underground, and it's 99% Trucknut free. Trucknutters hang out at Pint and drink Bud.
    Exactly. The Joe 'Trucknut' comment is a major sterotype that doesn't reflect the diverse groups that go to such places.

Very exciting! Some much needed flavor to the area
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

So the Edmonton population is either Trucknut or Upscale? Hmm... Wonder where people like me fit in.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    So the Edmonton population is either Trucknut or Upscale? Hmm... Wonder where people like me fit in.

Eve
    You're normal. You probably fit in wherever you want to go

I still love the look of the current state, but a rennovation and improvement will be fantastic. I would love to see Gene get a rezoning and do an ultra skinny condo tower above that; cantilever it out from the current roof line out towards the park and a couple metres towards Jasper street-all glass for optics of Jasper. The design should be an abstract modern theme. The entrance can come from the alley as that will be turned into a park anyways. Perhaps one suite per floor. 15-20 stories would be ideal and set a new standard for land utilization.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I still love the look of the current state, but a rennovation and improvement will be fantastic. I would love to see Gene get a rezoning and do an ultra skinny condo tower above that; cantilever it out from the current roof line out towards the park and a couple metres towards Jasper street-all glass for optics of Jasper. The design should be an abstract modern theme. The entrance can come from the alley as that will be turned into a park anyways. Perhaps one suite per floor. 15-20 stories would be ideal and set a new standard for land utilization.
    Pretty much have to redo all the structure for that though (not sure what the current state of the structure is and what loads it can carry).

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Gene doesn't own the building, he's been retained to redesign it.

15-20 storeys on a parcel of that size is essentially unheardof in North America nevermind in Edmonton. The cost to do something of such and the yeild you can achieve based on our market would kill any proforma.

You might find something like that in super-dense urban areas like Tokyo or Sao Paulo, but not here.

From another thread...same DP the OP posted.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Yes!

Job No 145988364-001: To change the use from a Professional Financial and Office Support Service to a Restaurant with outside patios; and to construct interior/ exterior alterations and an addition (cantilevers and new 3rd storey)
    10440 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan 7823267 Blk 4 Lot 130A
    10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129
    DUB ARCHITECTS LTD

C2E SME

Can't wait to see what the building is going to look like.

Patios!!!!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Can't wait to see what the building is going to look like.
    It's gonna look good.

C2E SME

Any idea if there are already renders?

FEBRUARY 18, 2014

FORMAL PRESENTATIONS

Restaurant Project (Development Permit #145988364-001)
    Dub Architects - Gene Dub
    10432 - Jasper Avenue NW
    Site legally described as:
    Lot 129, Block 4, Plan NB

YAY!!!! Hope that roof top patio and 3rd floor go in!!

I envision this having a lot of glass much like most of his other projects.

This was such a sexy building at EDC last night.

C2E SME

^any ideas when some renders will be made public?

^They were public during the EDC meeting... I think a DP application is in so soon you'll be able to go see it there too.

Picture Glass with a semi-vertical alternating wooden screen (Sorta like \ /\/\\/ but more vertical). Patio on the park side of things for a few tables with an overhang above.

I would expect nothing less from the applicant, so awesome!
    www.decl.org

Channing, you seldom or have never used the word sexy to describe anything, so you got my attention for this project now lol. This little structure already has the DNA for such outcome. I was hoping they could add perhaps 3 additional floors for condos where it can catilever out an extra metre for the three sides. Perhaps it could be done in the future.

They're reusing much of the existing building with a 3rd storey addition for a portion and the additional overhang west and south. I don't think they have the structure (or probably zoning) to go higher or to add condos.

Probably better lots for that then this one.

For sure there are many lots for condos. I have always liked this tiny structure since my fist move to this city in '88, but im glad to hear of thw addition. This will balance itself out with the Sobey structure.

Oh my yes!

The intent of this renovation/addition project is to restore the restaurant usage, introduce a visual identity to the building, and to better engage the Jasper Avenue streetfront and adjacent Beaver Hills House Park.

The basic premise of the design is to connect the building to the park in a more prominent and substantial way. There are a number of strategies proposed to improve this connection, including:

• Enlarging existing windows facing park and street

• Cantilevering second and third storeys over park and street

• Providing at-grade patio and rooftop patio overlooking park
    These strategies will activate the edge of the park beyond typical downtown office hours, improving vibrancy of the street and park. The extended use and views to the park will also provide “eyes on the street,” increasing the sense of safety for the surrounding park and sidewalk. An architectural screen featuring glue-laminated vertical members is proposed facing the park. The glued-laminated members are offset from the exterior building wall and positioned at subtly varying angles. In addition to helping the building establish a sense of identity, the screen becomes a permeable backdrop for the east edge of the park.
    awards

(http://www.dubarchitects.ca/images/bhb_1.jpg)

(http://www.dubarchitects.ca/images/bhb_2.jpg)
    ------
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Looks very good, is this a concept or is this being built?

'Current projects/2015'
    www.decl.org

Yes please! Really neat

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Interesting. I don't know if I like the vertical strips covering the non-window portion towards the northern end on the 3rd floor. It's a bit much. It would be great if they just covered they were a bit more selective with where the strips were placed.

It no longer juts out over the sidewalk. A previous iteration had that. Oh well, I'd like to see this happen and if that overhang was going to be a sticking point, I can live with it gone.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I wonder if the City said no to air-rights or if the costs was prohibitive.
    www.decl.org

too bad they won't allow it to cantilevered to the side walk. Even a metre out would have really made it distinct. i like what i see, but it would have been better with an additional floor to match the peak of the former Soby.

July 23, 2019
    10432 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lot 129

To change the use of a Suite located on the main and second floor from Business & Personal Services to Assembly Restaurant and to construct interior alterations. Demo/construct interior partition walls, complete interior finishes.

C2E SME

Well I hope this finally gets moving.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I have seen a lot of workers in carharts going in and out of there recently so progress has to be imminent.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

New paint.

Looking sharp, although that doorway sticks out like a sore something

So it went from the renderings posted by IanO to the image above.

The project was value engineered down to the cost of black paint. Holy moly...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Bear in mind, those renderings Ian posted are from over 5 years ago.

...with a different owner, potential tenants, design firm, etc.
    www.decl.org

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    So it went from the renderings posted by IanO to the image above.

The project was value engineered down to the cost of black paint. Holy moly...
    Well the cost of a little maintenance is almost always much less than a radical redesign. I am thinking the proposed design hit a roadblock because it could get approval to go over the park and the street. In some ways its too bad, because it is a small awkward space and making it bigger would provide more opportunities, but then there are plenty of larger spaces downtown that are empty and run down. I know some like to think in more grandiose ways, but often the best practical solution to a space that is a bit run down is a bit of maintenance and a good tenant.

There us potentially partnership with the owner next door for cooperation? Go up even elevation, and at that point continue upwards with Sobey's side and slight higher?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."