Thread: Viewpoint Park upgrades

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Viewpoint Park upgrades

There are some upgrades to Viewpoint Park coming as part of the Cromdale neighborhood rehabilitation that begins next year.

The first phase involves removing the old section of road that dead ends at the park, and extending the park to the edge of 79th street and Jasper Ave. There will be come hard surface walkways installed and improvements to the shale trail

That's all we know for now.. hopefully some more details will come soon
    Over promise and under deliver. Itís the most Edmonton thing you can do.

But doesn't Jasper end at 82nd Street?
    ... gobsmacked

No it doesn't. Jasper avenue continues east into the Viewpoint neighborhood of Cromdale where the bend onto 82nd street is for about 4 blocks

Last edited by 240GLT; 08-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    But doesn't Jasper end at 82nd Street?
    Nope.

Nice neighbourhood, with lush, old growth trees and a mix of nice older homes and good infill. Good place to go see Christmas lights. Nice view of the river valley. Kind of like a miniature Ada Boulevard.

Edit: Ninjaed by 240GLT
    Last edited by Ustauk; 08-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.

BIZZAM!

Yes, gorgeous old neighborhood with some spectacular homes, and some killer city and valley views

Damn. XX years living in Edmonton and today, for the first time I learn that Jasper ave has life after 82nd!

Thanks.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Continued Contributor

Tens of millions of bucks to be spent... a little bird told me. Good to hear these changes are coming soon. This entire area will see lots of improvement in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Damn. XX years living in Edmonton and today, for the first time I learn that Jasper ave has life after 82nd!

Thanks.
    haha oh man. great place to walk a dog if you have one. and there's some wicked biking right under that and over the main paved trail below too

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Nice neighbourhood, with lush, old growth trees and a mix of nice older homes and good infill. Good place to go see Christmas lights. Nice view of the river valley. Kind of like a miniature Ada Boulevard.
    Yup.

Shameless self promotion
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Excellent news. I frequently visit this park and have always thought it was under utilized. This will go a long way to help enhance one of this area's best kept secrets.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

One of the upgrades I've dreamed about is connecting the east end of Kinnaird Park to the west end of Ada Boulevard via a pedestrian/cycling bridge across the ravine.

This could create an active transportation corridor for walkers and cyclists extending from Rundle Park all the way to Downtown.

Where exactly will the road be filled in?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

It would great if they could install some benches on the south edge of the entrance into the park. Right now you have to well into the park before there are any benches.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    One of the upgrades I've dreamed about is connecting the east end of Kinnaird Park to the west end of Ada Boulevard via a pedestrian/cycling bridge across the ravine.

This could create an active transportation corridor for walkers and cyclists extending from Rundle Park all the way to Downtown.
    I absolutely love this idea!

Wonder how difficult it would be ?

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Where exactly will the road be filled in?
    It's the little dead end section that is currently barracaded off in front of that brick house right next to the park

highlander

That brick house is my dream home. RiverValley, ravine and park on 3 sides, and the fourth is a street with no traffic.

Yet close to everything.

highlander

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post

I absolutely love this idea!

Wonder how difficult it would be ?
    The existing top-side route isn't too bad, other than right around 82st. And you can drop down in front of Concordia if you want to stay in parkland. What's missing is a way up/down from this park to the path below, there's a steep dirt trail down from the extreme tip, but it's useless in winter or for anyone who isn't 100% mobile. The next access is all the way over at 84st.

The

^I think the existing top-side route is a ruddy pain. Adds an extra dozen blocks at least to what the route could be. Neither 82 Street or 112 Avenue are safe for cyclists. Truth be told I sometimes end up riding on the sidewalk.

Requiring cyclists to go from the valley bottom to the top of the valley is fine for recreational cycling, but not for daily commuting where a more continuous top of the bank route is much better.

A few times, I've rested on the bench at Ada Boulevard and 75 Street looking across Kinnaird Ravine and imagining how great it would be to cycle or walk across to Kinnaird Park with little or no loss of elevation. The span wouldn't be any longer than the existing pedestrian/cycling bridges crossing the river.

^ I believe the sidewalks on 82st are designated as bike routes as well. I know they are north of 112th not 100% sure about south though.

You can blast down that back alley behind Stadium Donair and that will get you over onto 76th st, which takes you right to Ada, so you can avoid 112th

Still love the idea of the bridge though. Going to float that one at our next meeting.

Also worth noting is that preliminary work will begin shortly towards extending the Kinnard Ravine path all the way up the the LRT station. Actual implementation is a little ways out, but the design and enivronmental assessments should go ahead soon

highlander

I guess that since I'm headed for the LRT trail the existing route is actually better, but I admit that I ALWAYS ride on the sidewalk along 112ave.

It's not that big of a detour, either, unless your destination is Kinnard point. At least on a bike it's really not much.
    There are other locations over other ravines that would save much more. For my money, a bike/ped bridge over white mud creek at 53ave would be top of the list, and probably a couple other locations on mill creek and white mud ravines would be ahead of this one for transportation.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ I believe the sidewalks on 82st are designated as bike routes as well. I know they are north of 112th not 100% sure about south though.

You can blast down that back alley behind Stadium Donair and that will get you over onto 76th st, which takes you right to Ada, so you can avoid 112th

Still love the idea of the bridge though. Going to float that one at our next meeting.

Also worth noting is that preliminary work will begin shortly towards extending the Kinnard Ravine path all the way up the the LRT station. Actual implementation is a little ways out, but the design and enivronmental assessments should go ahead soon
    Good to hear that the path extansion is still on the radar. There's a whole neighbourhood right there that will benefit from a road-crossing-free access to the ravine and river valley system.

^ it was on the radar, then fell off for a while, and now has been put back on thanks to a push from some residents in the area and the reincanation of the Friends of Kinnard Ravine society. It sounds like this time it'll come to fruition, but it will be a few years before it will be complete.

Given the projected increase in residents in the vicinity, we are hoping that extending the path gets more people using it, thus making it less of an ideal place to camp out

highlander

I'm going to take a detour on that path on my way home today. It's a real hidden gem.

Took the dogs for an excellent walk, started at Concordia, walked down into the valley, up through the Kinnaird Ravine, up the stairs to Viewpoint park & putzed around there playing frizbee for a bit, took the stairs down then back up to the Bellevue side of the ravine then walked along Ada back to the truck

One of the nicest walking routes in the city IMO