Thread: Doctor Who

Default Doctor Who

I have just started to watch for about 3 weeks now starting somewhere with the 10th doctor, and i have to say im hooked. So where should i properly start watching this series? Everyone i have asked says the 9th doctor is a good place what are your thoughts?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Have you been watching the Doctor Who marathons on the Space channel? I caught a few episodes during the Thanksgiving weekend for the very first time, and for someone who knows very little about the show I have to say I was impressed. They were doing the David Tennant run when I watched.

I also have to say I'm blown away by its popularity in Canada and the States these days. The show has been around since the early 60s, but here in North America it never had more than a cult following (though it's an institution in the UK like Coronation Street). At the Comic Expo I saw quite a few Doctor Whos plus a couple of Daleks and the police phone booth thing. One booth at the Expo that exclusively sold Doctor Who merchandise was always crazy-busy.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The new series from 2005 forward... Or maybe the movie from the 80s/90s you can get it at hmv.

You will also want to Google Sarah Jane and find out who she is and k9 they will show up a bit later. Some of the villains are more interesting if you know a bit of there back story but just google it.

Doctor/Donna are some of my fav episodes. Cathryn Tate is too much
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    I have just started to watch for about 3 weeks now starting somewhere with the 10th doctor, and i have to say im hooked. So where should i properly start watching this series? Everyone i have asked says the 9th doctor is a good place what are your thoughts?
    I watch it regularly, just comes up on the PVR. It is amazing, I like the 10th doctor, that's as good a place to start as any. My girlfriend likes as well, strong female characters.

Police phone booth thing is called a tardis. Time and relative dimension in space...

I was a who head or a whovian back when I was a kid in the 80s when ace was the companion and alister was the doctor.

Tom baker was the start of the modern day overly eccentric doctor and he was the longest running doctor. You can tell what season you are watching largely from the size, colour or pattern of his scarf. I still want the 20 + foot one.. I have the 12 foot one
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Have you been watching the Doctor Who marathons on the Space channel? I caught a few episodes during the Thanksgiving weekend for the very first time, and for someone who knows very little about the show I have to say I was impressed. They were doing the David Tennant run when I watched.

I also have to say I'm blown away by its popularity in Canada and the States these days. The show has been around since the early 60s, but here in North America it never had more than a cult following (though it's an institution in the UK like Coronation Street). At the Comic Expo I saw quite a few Doctor Whos plus a couple of Daleks and the police phone booth thing. One booth at the Expo that exclusively sold Doctor Who merchandise was always crazy-busy.
    I have been watching for about 3 weeks now, don't know what it is about David Tennant but he is my outright fav so far there is also a special on tonight at 7.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Police phone booth thing is called a tardis. Time and relative dimension in space...

I was a who head or a whovian back when I was a kid in the 80s when ace was the companion and alister was the doctor.

Tom baker was the start of the modern day overly eccentric doctor and he was the longest running doctor. You can tell what season you are watching largely from the size, colour or pattern of his scarf. I still want the 20 + foot one.. I have the 12 foot one
    EDP i know what the tardis is.

^ I think EDP was talking to me re: Tardis.

In any case, yeah it seems the show was cancelled in the 1980s, but then brought back in 2005. It is the current run that's winning over fans.

I forgot to mention that in the past I've only seen bits and pieces of the original show, and they didn't leave me with a good impression. It came across as amateurish and low-budget, especially when compared to the original Star Trek TV show.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

As i kid of the 80's i remember parts of it but now almost everyone is going crazy over anything British IE:Top gear and doctor who

I'd rather C2E than work!

If you're addicted to the New Series stuff, you really have to watch from the start, with Eccleston (9th doctor). You'll also want to weave in Torchwood at the appropriate places so Cpt. Jack's storyline makes total sense (not necessary, but it's fun to do).

From there, if you want to go back to the old stuff you can basically go wherever you want. Each Doctor in the old series had a very unique flavour, in my opinion. Tom Baker is, of course, brilliant.

PS - I flew home for Calgary Expo this year and totally dressed up like Cpt Jack
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Doctor who? What's his name? How'd he become who?

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    If you're addicted to the New Series stuff, you really have to watch from the start, with Eccleston (9th doctor). You'll also want to weave in Torchwood at the appropriate places so Cpt. Jack's storyline makes total sense (not necessary, but it's fun to do).

From there, if you want to go back to the old stuff you can basically go wherever you want. Each Doctor in the old series had a very unique flavour, in my opinion. Tom Baker is, of course, brilliant.

PS - I flew home for Calgary Expo this year and totally dressed up like Cpt Jack
    Have already seen torchwood and it got me into wanting to know more about the doctor when i hear captain jack saying something about the doctor.

As i kid of the 80's i remember parts of it but now almost everyone is going crazy over anything British IE:Top gear and doctor who
    People have been going crazy for anything British since back when Ringo Starr played in some band with Paul McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    "Doctor who" is the question, not his name. Nobody knows his name - he's just "The Doctor".

It's my favorite show.

Definitely watch the 2005 series (9th doctor) - some of the best episodes of the modern series are in that season ('Dalek', 'The Empty Child', 'The Doctor Dances', 'Bad Wolf', 'The Parting of the Ways' are all "must see" episodes. The rest of the season is pretty good, too).

70s Doctor Who is pretty good to great as well (if a bit slow at times), and worth checking out if you are antsy to see more. Tom Baker (4th doctor) is absolutely awesome. The 60s episodes are a real mixed bag, and the 80s were pretty bad overall.

Also, I'm pumped for the 50th anniversary special:

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    There was an episode where some woman bureaucrat (can't remember her position), when one of his companions (I believe) mentioned the Doctor, asked in an authoritative but puzzled tone: "Doctor? Doctor who?", meaning she was looking for a name.

The Doctor was only referred to as "Doctor Who" once, by a Dalek, during one of their encounters (where they were trying to either capture or eliminate him).

The first 8 Doctors aren't shown on TV anymore, that I know of, on a regular basis. Some PBS stations used to have the show for many years, starting with the Tom Baker series and then gradually adding the others. YTV also had the show, running single shows instead of the combined story arcs PBS did.

Right now, Space is running a BBC 50th anniversary series, on Saturday nights, showing a story arc from each of the Doctors. William Hartnell was shown a week ago in "The Aztecs". Patrick Troughton was shown a couple of days ago in "The Tomb of the Cybermen".

C2E SME

Doctor Who is an awesome series. I've been watching the series since I was a kid in the 80's and have been loving the series so far in the modern era. I can't wait for the 50th anniversary episode!!!

Also for those who were at the Edmonton Expo, I hope you liked the Doctor Who booth, that was actually my store running the booth.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Right now, Space is running a BBC 50th anniversary series, on Saturday nights, showing a story arc from each of the Doctors. William Hartnell was shown a week ago in "The Aztecs". Patrick Troughton was shown a couple of days ago in "The Tomb of the Cybermen".
    Those "Doctors Revisted" specials are fun to watch - interesting to see the evolution of the show and the characters over the last 50 years. The re-runs of the old story arcs are pretty good samples of what the show was like back then, and it's apparent how much faster the pacing is in the current series.

'The Aztecs' was a good story, and it started and ended great, but man did they ever pad it out. It really felt too long.

'Tomb of the Cybermen', despite the "tin foil" makeup and special effects, was quite excellent. The actors did a great job (that guy who plays the second doctor is hilarious), and it was very suspenseful.

^A lot of the stories during the William Hartnell era were mostly the 4 characters (the Doctor, Susan, Ian and Barbara) becoming involved in some major situation and being split up into 2 groups, with 2 characters sometimes not knowing where the other two are although all 4 have some sort of role within the situation.

The Hartnell and Troughton episodes were shot on video so there is maybe a slower pace as there wasn't any editing other than reshooting a whole scene. Yeah, the special effects and design were pretty cheesy but it was made up for in plot and characterization. The electronic voices of the Cybermen were later changed to sounding like the person inside the helmet was speaking. Sort of muffled.

It's funny how many women like this show, too - which is pretty rare for a sci-fi show.

My wife got hooked on this show after only seeing a couple of episodes.

I didn't know that Space was showing episodes on Saturday and Sunday, so I missed the third Doctor last weekend. Fortunately, Space has the series online if anyone missed anything or wants to watch them for the first time.

http://watch.space.ca/

Nice find Terry thanks.

I was emailed this press release from the BBC the other day, and maybe some of you will be interested in it:

New York - October 24, 2013 - BBC Worldwide announces special theatrical screening events of Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary special, Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor, in RealD™ 3D on November 23 and 25. In association with Cineplex Entertainment’s Front Row Centre Events, BBC Worldwide will simulcast 3D screening events in eight cities, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Victoria, and Winnipeg, at the same time the 75-minute special premieres on SPACE and across the globe. Tickets will go on sale October 25, 2013, at Cineplex.com and participating theatres.

The festivities won’t stop there: Cineplex will continue the celebration by giving fans across Canada a second chance to experience Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor in RealD™ 3D on Monday, November 25. Expanding to 60 screens for a special encore showing. Tickets for the November 25 screenings will also go on sale October 25.

In addition to Matt Smith,the Anniversary special also stars former Time Lord David Tennant and Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt. The theatrical events will include specially shot introductions and The Day of The Doctor: Behind The Lens, a 10 minute behind-the-scene featurette directly following the special. The short features Matt Smith, David Tennant and Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt, as well as lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, discussing their 50th Anniversary experiences.
    Soumya Sriraman, EVP Home Entertainment and Licensing for BBC Worldwide North America, commented: “Doctor Who 50th Anniversary is truly a global celebration and we’re thrilled to bring the special to the big screen. Our partnerships with Cineplex will give fans, on November 23 and 25, the opportunity to see the Doctor in a whole new way – in RealD™ 3D.”
    Since its launch in 1963, Doctor Who has become one of the world’s best loved dramas and is certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the most successful sci-fi series ever. Doctor Who has received numerous awards across its 50 years. The series has enjoyed success off-air with over 10 million DVDs and 8 million action figures sold globally and is the BBC’s top series on iTunes in Canada and the UK. BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the UK broadcaster, distributes Doctor Who to over 200 territories across the world.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

The South Common theater sold out pretty much instantly. Not sure when tickets to the other theaters go on sale.

I want to take my family to that 3D movie on Nov 23, but I bet they will sell out before I get a chance to buy tickets.

Just finished watching the time of the doctor and loved it, but I'm not impressed with the last bit where he regenerated. Im sorry but a flash of the hand, and then bam Insta face change that is not how the regen worked for the other doctors so why the blue hell would they change it now.

I didn't like it, not much chemistry between the doctors. I don't really like the guy after David Tenant, tries to hard IMO. Hopefully the next doctor will be better.

Doctor Who inspires a real-life romance for Edmonton couple
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...uple-1.3500756

London actor Pearl Mackie will be the next companion for the Doctor in series 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMmsShghT4

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

FTFY

im not sure if im gonna like this one i love Rose, Pond ,Clara and Martha more

Pretty sure a two minute clip isn't enough to tell. Besides, Donna was the best companion.

Interesting tidbits: The Doctor makes a Back to Future reference and others are saying the shirt she is wearing an old Prince shirt. Leads me to wonder if our new companion is from the 80s.

Also you didn't fix it for me, I deliberately didn't embed as for those of us who don't install Flash the embedded videos don't work, don't provide a link, and are too small anyways.

I loved David Tennant as the Doctor, and Donna as his companion. David Tennant was definitely my favorite doctor, thought I may be a little biased because I started watching during the reign of Tennant.
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

The 10th was my first doctor as well and nvr liked 9 he looked too god damned creepy 11th grew on me but i mostly loved pond more then anything.

Ten and Donna are way up there for me although I really liked series nine. It felt like they finally got twelve right. Of the new series I think Amy was the weakest of the companions. A good companion is one that works with the Doctor and challenges him. Amy existed to what she was told and be rescued.

That said the great thing about Doctor Who is over the years you get something for everybody.

My social media has been full of this all day:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Yup. I have loved Capaldi, but this should be really interesting. Jodie Whittacker is really talented. I'm looking forward to it!

Interesting to see where the show goes now. This casting move can either add an interesting dynamic to the main character, or turn it into a "jumping the shark" moment for the franchise.

I sincerely only hope that it remains a 100% science fiction fantasy show, and doesn't evolve into a platform for writers to preach blatant pro-feminist and male-shaming political propaganda. If Doctor Who becomes a show about identity politics instead of entertainment, it will tank badly. I fear the latter.

It's just a sex change right? Can see how that could ever be a jumping the shark issue.