Thread: Chromecast

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Chromecast

So i just picked up a Chromecast dongle from the US and i really have to recommend this to everyone. best $40 I've ever spent. it works flawlessly. I use it to send vids from my laptop to my tv without dicking around with cables or the terrible wireless streaming options available with my tv set.

seriously check it out if your in the US. It works in Canada just not sold here (also the app isnt available here so you have to install it using the website)

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/chrome/...ecast/#netflix
    be offended! figure out why later...

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^^ interesting !!
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Totally agree, it is easy to use and crazy cheap. If you get one and want the app to use it on your Android device, you will need to download the apk file as the app isn't available in Canada.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2410660

If you want to steam video, pictures, etc from your Chrome browser, add the Chromecast extension to your browser. Great for streaming any content you want that isn't on YouTube or Netflix.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kmllpafd?hl=en

I've seen this. Can you stream ripped and/or torrented video? I know people who have "smart" TV's with wifi that tell you pretty much any video that doesn't come from iTunes or a network's website is illegal and cuts the picture or sound, making it a totally useless feature.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I've seen this. Can you stream ripped and/or torrented video? I know people who have "smart" TV's with wifi that tell you pretty much any video that doesn't come from iTunes or a network's website is illegal and cuts the picture or sound, making it a totally useless feature.
    No, kind of...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...d-the-feature/

It looks like if you can play the file in a browser then you can stream it but not from third-party apps.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Looks pretty cool and it's nice to see Google finally get this right. For me it wouldn't add any functionality I don't already have or need so I'll save my money.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Ok, so it's not just a streaming device from one device to another? I can't stream HD from my desktop to my TV with this?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

currently the software is still in beta so that functionality will be added later.
    as for now you can stream from chrome tabs to your tv. ive read there are ways to get your local content into a chrome browser tab but haven't tried it yet.

edit: ok i just tried and there is an option to stream your whole computer screen to the tv. i couldn't get the audio to stream though. (it says the screen sharing function is "experimental" so there may be some tweaks and bugs that need fixing still.)
    Last edited by richardW; 06-10-2013 at 02:56 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Ok, so it's not just a streaming device from one device to another? I can't stream HD from my desktop to my TV with this?
    It's more than just streaming, it queue's up all the items you want and plays them. For example, I sit in my couch and choose a video to play from YouTube from my phone, tablet or computer. As its playing, I am free to exit the app, continue searching and adding videos or turn my device off. This has no effect on what's shown on the TV, your phone/tablet/computer beams the command to the Chromecast and then that's it. Anyone that access to your Wi-Fi can add videos to the queue (Android or iOS devices). This also saves battery life on your device as the video isn't being mirrored and therefore takes no processing or power from that device.

HD content looks good on my TV and look forward to more and more apps adding this capability (Hulu + just did).

I wonder if the next generation of games boxes have something like this, i.e. the xbox one or PS4.

Lol I was watching some Netflix on my chrome cast and paused it for a long time so the screen saver came on.

To my surprise there was a picture of Edmontons skyline as one of the screen saver pics

I wonder if it was intentional depending on your google search history?
    Seems weird though as I'm not even in the city.

(Sorry for the blog2E post)