Thread: Bring backs Edmonton's wooden roller coaster..

Default Bring backs Edmonton's wooden roller coaster..

Called "The Green Rattler"

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 18-09-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Long Term Contributor

Borden?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Yes it was at Borden but we should rebuild it in Fort Edmonton..

We could also bring back the tunnel of love that was once there but people travel specifically for great roller coasters, esp wooden ones.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 18-09-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

The Edmonton coaster was to cost $15,000, with construction to begin in May of 1915 under the direct supervision of Mr. Welcher. The ride location was given a guarantee by the City of Edmonton in the form of a 20-year lease. There seems to be no official name for this coaster, but one source says locals called it The "Green Rattler", so presumably the structure, or at least the rolling stock, was painted green.

Five months before the October 31st end of the roller coaster 0lease period, it was determined that it should be demolished, with the contract being awarded to The Muttart Lumber Company. By July of 1935 it was gone, never having run that season at all. (Note that Tony Cashman's "The Best Edmonton Stories" states it lasted until 1936. 1935 is correct though, as confirmed by letters among the Exhibition Association and various Edmonton city officials.) A fence was then erected to separate Borden Park from The Exhibition Grounds before the start of that season's exhibition on July 15th.

http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPark/Borden.html

Administrator *

I think it would be cool if a full amusement park was built in Edmonton. Like Canada's Wonderland in scale. I think it would be successful with oil workers, families, and tourists. People would travel up from Calgary regularly. And if it was as good as Canada's Wonderland or one of the Six Flags park, people would visit from around the world.

But yes, at the same time, I think a small wooden roller coaster at Fort Edmonton would be awesome as well! Alberta in general is very lacking in these kinds of rides.

some people would argue that Edmonton has an amusement park already...inside WEM
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    I think it would be cool if a full amusement park was built in Edmonton. Like Canada's Wonderland in scale. (...)

But yes, at the same time, I think a small wooden roller coaster at Fort Edmonton would be awesome as well! Alberta in general is very lacking in these kinds of rides.
    I do think that a wooden roller coaster would be cool, as well as the aforementioned theme park of some kind.

However, there is one reason why one does not exist here...our climate.

Now, before I yet again get called negative...I am not. I've actually looked into this as a part of the longer term business plans around a couple of initiatives to get this overall true external dollar tourist draw.

The reality is that we really can't rely on the typical "tourist season" that a lot of other areas can...we just barely get enough good weather from the May long to September long and that is the bare minimum. Add to this our shoulder seasons...spring is often interrupted with winter reminders and our fall is fairly brief until the snow and cold hits (remember the first day of winter is Dec 21, and there are plenty of examples of super cold hitting far sooner).

Our climate would also brutalize wooden rollercoaster.

Now, I am not saying don't...heck I'm still kicking around a few things and trying to find things that work in our part of the world, and are unique...just remember that the reason why some of this doesn't exist is not because of a lack of trying...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

how about a big red roller coaster inside a of one of hte largest malls in the world? its not wooden but it's history should instill enough for the adrenaline junkie!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    I think it would be cool if a full amusement park was built in Edmonton. Like Canada's Wonderland in scale. (...)

I do think that a wooden roller coaster would be cool, as well as the aforementioned theme park of some kind.

However, there is one reason why one does not exist here...our climate.

Now, before I yet again get called negative...I am not. I've actually looked into this as a part of the longer term business plans around a couple of initiatives to get this overall true external dollar tourist draw.

The reality is that we really can't rely on the typical "tourist season" that a lot of other areas can...we just barely get enough good weather from the May long to September long and that is the bare minimum. Add to this our shoulder seasons...spring is often interrupted with winter reminders and our fall is fairly brief until the snow and cold hits (remember the first day of winter is Dec 21, and there are plenty of examples of super cold hitting far sooner).

Our climate would also brutalize wooden rollercoaster.

Now, I am not saying don't...heck I'm still kicking around a few things and trying to find things that work in our part of the world, and are unique...just remember that the reason why some of this doesn't exist is not because of a lack of trying...
    That's why it needs to be part of Fort Edmonton which has a 1920's Carnival area already. It can't be a stand alone feature.. it needs to be part of something more and not just an amusement park.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

"something" more is OK...but defining that "something" becomes hard...

...remember that Ft Edmonton once very recently thought of becoming "Knotts Berry Farm" north? That's gone silent...and one offing a roller coaster...I worry about the operation/maintenance costs...

Great thought EDP...but our realities kick in...I'm still trying to find that "something"
    President and CEO - Airshow.

I f Montreal can have a wooden roller coaster with their climate than we could too...

i would except not having a big enough market for it but climate I won't accept.

If not Fort Edmonton, how about at the Rossdale plant? Do a Coney Island type of thing there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^that would be awesome, but not enough space.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

So build it as a river crossing between Rossdale and the Kinsmen. Crossing the river on a roller coaster - how fun!

Disclaimer: too much office coffee gives me goofy ideas

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not enough space .............
    Think the roof of the old power plant down along the water around the treatment facility
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......